IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM MobileFirst OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is IBM MobileFirst?
IBM Worklight helps organizations extend their business to mobile devices.

IBM MobileFirst was previously known as MobileFirst, Worklight.

IBM MobileFirst Customers
UniCredit Business Integrated Solutions, Gruppo Unipol, Raymond James Financial, Toshiba GCS, CST, ABK-Systeme GmbH, BNP Paribas
IBM MobileFirst Video

Archived IBM MobileFirst Reviews (more than two years old)

Manan Thakkar - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Streamlines development of hybrid applications, and has ability to integrate device-native code
  • "With help of this product, we have been able to develop mobile applications without having complete knowledge of each mobile OS's native programming technology. App development, delivery, and code management have been very efficient using this product."
  • "I like Its capability for developing hybrid applications, with an ability to integrate device-native code as well"
  • "IBM MobileFirst has one of the most feature-rich admin panels."
  • "I would like to see improved support for native device functions."
  • "There are issues with push notifications, especially for Windows mobile apps. JSONStore also crashes abruptly at times."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM MobileFirst for developing a cross-platform, hybrid application for Android, iOS, and Windows mobile devices. This application requires data and field-level security which were possible only with help of IBM MobileFirst.

How has it helped my organization?

It was a cakewalk for us to develop mobile apps for three different platforms using IBM MobileFirst. Since it was a consumer application built for large-scale events, it was very crucial for us to manage application compatibility with all sort of devices. With MobielFirst, we could actually achieve this with very little trouble.

With help of this product, we have been able to develop mobile applications without having complete knowledge of each mobile OS's native programming. App development, delivery, and code management have been very efficient using this product.

What is most valuable?

Its capability for developing hybrid applications, with an ability to integrate device-native code as well. I also like its application management capability and enterprise app store.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improved support for native device functions.

There are issues with push notifications, especially for Windows mobile apps. JSONStore also crashes abruptly at times.

No issues with scalability.

I would rate their tech support at seven out of 10 if you are an IBM partner like us. However, external community support is quite good for MobileFirst and that is where the majority of our issues were addressed easily.

We did try MS Intune initially, but the Admin Console UI was not intuitive enough. IBM MobileFirst has one of the most feature-rich admin panels.

Initial setup was a bit complicated in the initial versions but with the latest version, that issue has been overcome. Now it is pretty straightforward.

Cost depends upon various factors. Size of the overall application and product usage matter a lot. For an enterprise-grade application, this certainly comes out as an economical solution. However, for small-scale applications, it can turn out to be on the higher side.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product as a nine out of 10, given some minor issues here and there, and its handling of native code for any OS along with hybrid.

It is a great product for cross-platform mobility projects. However, think twice and analyze your requirements in detail if you are looking to use it heavily for Windows mobile.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: IBM Partner.
YudiTjhia - PeerSpot reviewer
Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We use it as a secure proxy server for a mobile app using public internet

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a secure proxy server for a mobile app using public internet as well as for its mobile app support features.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm in technical sales and this is one of the products I sell.

What is most valuable?

• Secure adapter
  • Security scope
  • Client update

What needs improvement?

I see the progress of REST API development in the current version (MFP v8.0).

Less than one year.
it_user631749 - PeerSpot reviewer
Mobile Architect at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
It provides access management for the enterprise user as well as for the consumer.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is that we are using the IBM MobileFirst, which is actually providing a gateway to all the mobile resources either for the employees or for the consumers. So, that is very important for us.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very beneficial as without this solution, we have to go out for using Edwards Performance Solutions. Thus, the benefits of that is providing access management for the enterprise user as well as for the consumer. So, that would be very beneficial for us.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see machine learning and iWork as a part of the product. That is what we are actually heading towards to support all the incidents. Basically, iWork is the one that we are looking to add to this product.

The stability is pretty good. We didn't come across any issues so far. It is flexible to expand the solution as well.

Right now, it is doing very well. You can actually scale up to a million transactions, so no issues have been experienced so far.

The technical support is really good. There are some layers of support mechanism, so it depends on which one you enroll to but right now, the support is doing well.

We were actually using different components. However, this product provides all the components in one platform, so that is why we switched to this. But earlier we were using Crittercism Solutions and also other different products. However, this product provides all the solutions in one platform.

We usually go with the Garnett Business Solution's recommendations. We went through almost 17 recommended providers and eventually, chose IBM as our mobile provider.

I was involved in the setup process. It is straightforward.

We have looked at other solutions namely Corning MobileAccess, Salesforce and IBM. However, after comparing all the feature sets, I said that IBM has all the supported features that are required for our product, so we went with IBM.

What other advice do I have?

You can definitely go with this product, without thinking anything about it. In case of the mobile gateway, I would definitely recommend it.

I still see this product is somewhere between the premature and the mature stages.