HCL Sametime OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Virtual Meetings Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is HCL Sametime?

HCL Sametime. Secure Conversations Across Any Device ​

Your company can’t afford to take any data risks, but your teams still need to be able to interact and react quickly, wherever they are working. Sametime offers modern instant messaging, file-sharing, and online meetings with the proven security your business can trust.

HCL Sametime was previously known as Lotus Sametime, IBM Lotus Sametime.

HCL Sametime Customers

Connect2Cloud, Superior Group, Daifuku Co. Ltd., Seaward, The City of Fort Worth, Christian Brothers Services, Berlitz, Deutsche Notes User Group, Danske Fysioterapeuter, Slumberland, La Vacanza, Rheinmetall AG

HCL Sametime Video

Archived HCL Sametime Reviews (more than two years old)

Mogana Tashiani - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant and Research Analyst (Technology) at Frost & Sullivan Asia-Pacific
Easily communicate and share files with colleagues
  • "I can view the status and availability of colleagues or team members, which makes it easy to approach them when they are available."
  • "The webinar should be integrated into Sametime for a larger number of participants."

What is our primary use case?

I use Lotus Sametime for internal communications across regions. I'm a consultant and therefore, I need to connect with teams in the United States and the United Kingdom. With Sametime, I can connect and chat easily with my team members effortlessly.

I also use this solution for quick internal meetings and sharing files.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution saves time and cost in communicating with team members. We don't need to have telephone calls. It streamlines the tasks in my organization by encouraging us to chat directly with the relevant person. Sametime also encourages communication among peers that further strengthens professional relationships.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• I can view the status and availability of colleagues or team members, which makes it easy to approach them when they are available.
  • Sametime is integrated with IBM Notes.
  • I can easily chat over Sametime rather than sending emails. The response rate is quite high or instant with Sametime chat.
  • Sametime has emojis for ease of communication.

What needs improvement?

Sametime hangs sometimes and therefore needs to get restarted. There are very limited features such as limited file size sharing (one at a time) and limited number meeting participants that can actually participate in the instant meeting.

The quality of video conferencing is needed to be improved. The video hangs too and need to exit and reenter the meeting.

Lack of emoji but we can integrate emojis from another apps into the Sametime.

November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about HCL, Microsoft, Cisco and others in Virtual Meetings. Updated: November 2022.
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for more than one year.

Users are only allowed to share one file at a time.

What other advice do I have?

This is a simple yet effective communication tool in multinational companies.

Private Cloud

IBM
Fabio Pereira - PeerSpot reviewer
Support Analyst at a tech services company
Provides faster communication than chat, but it is a bit pricey

What is most valuable?

• Audio and video calls
  • Faster communication than chat

What needs improvement?

The interface is too colorful and looks like Windows XP.

More than two years.

Some, with the community server.

Some, with the community server.

I didn't use IBM technical support.

I didn't use a previous solution.

It was somewhat complex to configure the whole environment.

It's a little expensive.

We were an IBM partner and had to test this product.

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation. Take snapshots on virtual machines before installing.

November 2022
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user2652 - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Popular
Widely used organizational chatting and messaging software

The Lotus Sametime software provided by IBM is chat and messaging software which is widely used over email communications for faster data transfer. There are below pros and cons for this related software:-

Pros:- 1. It provides instant messaging, web conferencing, communications and collaboration for enterprises.

2. This is a client-server application that provides real time, unified communications.

3. It can be integrated with wide variety of software, so stability is high.

4. Support is available from IBM and third party companies for 24 * 7 as it is sold by Lotus Software division of IBM.

5. It provides interoperability with public IM networks via the IBM Sametime Gateway, including AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, Google Talk and XMPP-based services.

6. It provides audio/video services which supports audio and video codecs.

7. It gives good quality over the Intranet for audio/video facilities. 8. It also has functionality for failover, clustering, and scalability for the IBM Sametime Gateway deployment.

Cons:- 1. It is IBM proprietary software, and not a opensource software, so licenses need to purchased from IBM.

2. There is echo or low voice quality over the communication line or throughout the conversation over the internet.

3. Development is still going on to integrate it with Mobile applications

4. Chats are saved in text format, so transferred images are not readable.

Alternate Vendors:- AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, Google Talk, MSN Messenger !!

it_user3264 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Administrator at a media company with 51-200 employees
Simple yet reliable communication and real-time collaboration software

Valuable Features:

A very good communication and real-time collaboration software. It is simple, fast, reliable, keeps history and the best feature of all is its intelligence. It can detect if a user is away from keyboard and auto changes the status to away. So in case one forgets to change his/her status, it auto changes the status to away.

Room for Improvement:

It seems that the software might in the future, support the software telephony exchange but at the current time, it is not doing that and because of that one key feature of real-time communication is missing from it.
it_user2652 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user2652Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
PopularVendor

Integration with mobile apps and online meetings has increased its demand. It has been proved as a very good chatting software for large sized organizations.

Download our free Virtual Meetings Report and find out what your peers are saying about HCL, Microsoft, Cisco, and more!
Updated: November 2022