Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

HashiCorp Terraform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HashiCorp Terraform is #7 ranked solution in top Configuration Management tools. PeerSpot users give HashiCorp Terraform an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. HashiCorp Terraform is most commonly compared to Red Hat Satellite: HashiCorp Terraform vs Red Hat Satellite. HashiCorp Terraform is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
HashiCorp Terraform Buyer's Guide

Download the HashiCorp Terraform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is HashiCorp Terraform?

HashiCorp was founded by Mitchell Hashimoto and Armon Dadgar in 2012 with the goal of revolutionizing datacenter management: application development, delivery, and maintenance.
The datacenter of today is very different than the datacenter of yesterday, and we think the datacenter of tomorrow is just around the corner. We're writing software to take you all the way from yesterday to today, and then safely to tomorrow and beyond.
Physical, virtual, containers. Private cloud, public cloud, hybrid cloud. IaaS, PaaS, SaaS. Windows, Linux, Mac. These are just some of the choices faced when architecting a datacenter of today. And the choice is not one or the other; instead, it is often a combination of many of these.
HashiCorp builds tools to ease these decisions by presenting solutions that span the gaps. Our tools manage both physical machines and virtual machines, Windows, and Linux, SaaS and IaaS, etc. And we're committed to supporting next-generation technologies, as well.
HashiCorp was founded and continues to be run by the primary authors of all our core technologies powering thousands of companies worldwide. We speak at conferences and write books related to application and infrastructure management.
All our foundational technologies are open source and developed openly, and have been since 2010.
The Tao of HashiCorp is the foundation that guides our vision, roadmap, and product design. As you evaluate using or contributing to HashiCorp's products, it may be valuable to understand the motivations and intentions for our work. Learn more about the Tao of HashiCorp here: https://www.hashicorp.com/tao-of-hashicorp

HashiCorp Terraform was previously known as Terraform.

HashiCorp Terraform Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HashiCorp Terraform pricing:
  • "They have given it to us at a monthly cost, but it is on a yearly basis."
  • "The setup for Terraform is quite easy and currently, we are using their community version along with Jenkins."
  • "HashiCorp Terraform is a free solution."
  • HashiCorp Terraform Reviews

Partner & principal technologist at SwanSpeed Consulting
    Creating a VPC and VPN connectivity to the VPC can be automated
    • "One of the most valuable features is that it offers the ability to create a VPC, Virtual Private Cloud and VPN connectivity to the VPC can be automated without having to do it manually."
    • "I still struggle a bit when configuring VPNs when we have multiple rules. If we have five or six virtual private clouds and we have to give rights between those multiple VPCs, we can have big problems. I think it was a learning curve and then we improved it."

How has it helped my organization?

The office was working out of their office and they had around nine clients. The workspace would be in AWS and doing a VPC manually would have been a really hard job. The time estimated for doing nine virtual private clouds would have taken more than a month or two. Using Terraform, they were able to finish it in two weeks. The speed at which we could create the infrastructure was much faster than physically doing it. Also, having an audit and log for all the infrastructure was managed a lot easier using Terraform rather than doing it manually.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is that it offers the ability to create a VPC, Virtual Private Cloud and VPN connectivity to the VPC can be automated without having to do it manually.

What needs improvement?

I still struggle a bit when configuring VPNs when we have multiple rules. If we have five or six virtual private clouds and we have to give rights between those multiple VPCs, we can have big problems.  I think it was a learning curve and then we improved it.

I have not come across anything that really stopped us from not doing anything for our requirement as of now.

I liked it because since it's scriptable, the way you create the infrastructure is the same way you can delete the infrastructure also. If you created 10 to 20 different services and objects in AWS using a Terraform script, it's much easier for a person to get the whole infrastructure down. You can do a backup and then you don't really need AWS services because either the client does not exist anymore, or there is some gap before the client comes back, you don't have to manually go and delete all the resources. One script would actually remove everything from AWS.

Cost-wise, going through the script and then removing everything that you have created through the script is much better than manually doing it. That was helpful for the client as well.

HashiCorp Terraform
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about HashiCorp Terraform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We use it to manage infrastructure. For day-to-day work, the main developers were not using Terraform, so it was only three of us who used it. We were working on Terraform, created those scripts, and then gave it to the client for whom I was doing the work. Since it's now scriptable, they are able to manage and do all these small changes. They don't come back to me. Since they don't come back to me, it seems like it is working fine.

Terraform keeps updating its scriptable platform, the engine through which they communicate. So if there is any change in AWS, they keep updating it. Even from the deployment side, they have to be aware of the features, which Terraform still supports and the features, which Terraform doesn't support and then work around accordingly.

The initial setup, like doing the AWS credentials, putting it in place, and getting the API keys are the parts that took time. Otherwise, it is a lot faster and the learning curve is also much easier since it's a YAML-based scripting language. Even a non-programmer in a normal office can understand what is happening in the flow.

The deployment took around 15 days. In around 20 days we were ready with the Terraform scripts and then made small changes. Every time they need a new infrastructure that requires a small change, it would take a day or two. We created the initial Terraform script and gave it to a client so that it could later be managed by the client itself to create and run. Fifteen days was good enough for us to create and test the Terraform infrastructure and then give it to the client.

We started the deployment by seeing how we would divide the infrastructure. One is the list of infrastructure, which we would need irrespective of the clients for the VPC, VPN gateway, and active directory services. Those are all mandatory items that we would need for all the VPCs. And there are some items that are client-specific. We divided it into multiple parts. One is generic, which you will need for all the clients that are a base level. Then you keep playing the client's specific scripts on top of the base script.

It's open-source.

What other advice do I have?

Rather than doing a monolithic Terraform for the whole infrastructure, it would be good for the script to be reusable. Use the base level script that every infrastructure would need. Generating a local IP network and then creating two instances or creating some databases and other basic scripts that all the infrastructure would need should be a base level script. Then add on your base level script with the add-on scripts on top of the base script to create infrastructure that is specific to clients. You can reuse the script, the same base group for many other purposes as well.

Before using Terraform, for auditing, creating machines, etc, we would either rely on AWS infrastructure itself or documents that had infrastructure-related data. Using Terraform, a lot of this data was captured automatically since it's a YAML script. It could be easily exported as a document or Excel file as well. Documentation and infrastructure was much easier to maintain than doing it otherwise.

I would rate Terraform an eight out of ten.

Rakib Mahmood - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Technology and Strategy Officer at The White House
    Provides automation which is a huge cost saver
    • "Provides automation which has increased our efficiency."
    • "Terraform lacks in running script."

What is our primary use case?

A primary use case of Terraform is for deploying a VM on a cloud using Terraform script. If I then want to deploy a third-party toolset, a solution such as Aviatrix can create an overlay on top of each of the cloud providers and you can connect the clouds together. I'm a solutions architect and we are customers of HashiCorp.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has made a huge difference to us because the automation it provides has given us improved cost efficiency, security and saved many man-hours. It's created once and then that's pretty much it. When you next want to deploy something, you run it and it deploys.

What is most valuable?

Terraform removes the manual process; you run it for a specific purpose, destroy it when you're done, and it removes all the associated components. The other good feature is that Terraform is idempotent; if something is already out there, it's not going to try to duplicate another installation of that environment.

One of the other major features of terraform is in its ability to act as a Disaster Recovery tool. Since terraform is an Infrastructure-As-A-Service tool, it can be used as part of the rest of the DR toolset to restore affected infrastructure to its original state without any variation.

The Terraform manifests can be stored in a version control repository separate from the application code base and can be a single source of truth for an organization's infrastructure. The automation and the efficiency that Terraform brings to the SDLC lifecycle adds to the overall integrity of the infrastructure and provides a value added to the DevSecOps workflow.

What needs improvement?

I've noticed that although Terraform is very good at deploying, it lacks in running script. For example, if you wanted to run multiple deployments such as a VM, and then install different softwares and create a full-blown infrastructure within that virtual machine, Terraform would probably lack certain features. I don't think it's very robust in running scripts or going from one sequence to another. You're likely to end up running a huge Terraform code base, where you'd probably get lost in terms of knowing where things are coming from and where they're going.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is stable without too many bugs. If we're deploying on top of a current deployment, there can be some issues and that could be improved. If you need a fully idempotent solution, you deploy your infrastructure without touching any existing infrastructure. Unfortunately, Terraform fails when it finds an existing infrastructure and things become complicated. In terms of stability, this is probably one of the biggest deficiencies of Terraform.

HashiCorp provides very good documentation so we haven't needed to contact technical support. They also have GitHub repository against each of those tutorials, so we can actually clone and tweak those according to our needs. There's also a large open-source community out there and a lot of blogs that complement the documentation.

Deployment is just about downloading the plug-in. To run it requires each of the cloud environments on the CLI tool downloaded so that they both work together with all the credentials in place so that it can connect to each of the clouds. We are a small organization and still experimenting with Terraform so we only have one dedicated person helping out with the solution. That said, all of the team members are more or less skilled with Terraform.

We're definitely seeing cost savings from a man-hour point of view but I can't quantify it.

We are using the free version of Terraform. Terraform Cloud has some kind of pricing and enterprise-level model which we haven't moved to yet. I think  Terraform has a pretty reasonable pricing structure. It allows the open-source community to use it as they please, so I'm pretty happy about it.

AWS has a code solution called CloudFormation which I think is a little slower than Terraform although I think CloudFormation is probably a bit more secure and foolproof.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solid product and one of the leaders in this space. Terraform is used across the board as an Infrastructure-as-Code solution.

There could be some improvements so I rate this solution eight out of 10.

HashiCorp Terraform
    September 2022
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Ashen Perera - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Systems Engineer / Tech Logic Consultant. at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Enables companies to have a lot of options to ensure faster growth
    • "I like the function that shows me a preview of what is happening in the infrastructure."
    • "If you are copying something from a well running machine to a remote machine, there are some issues with the current version, but it is acceptable."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use it for infrastructure automation. I use it to provision servers in different cloud providers and in-house with the principles to create a Kubernetes cluster. If you have a master node concept I would create the master and find related text.

The main function for me is to create infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

Because of Terraform, companies have a lot of options to ensure growing faster than what was normal in the past. Usually, it takes about two to three weeks to be done. But with Terraform, the approval is there and you can take it out in half an hour or ten minutes to deploy. That is a really good benefit of using Terraform.

What is most valuable?

I like the function that shows me a preview of what is happening in the infrastructure. We created it to find a workflow and find out which area has an issue over a certain period of time. If there is a patch with a change to the environment, I don't have to change a lot of code, I just have to change one or two variables with very few modifications to make sure the environment reflects that. So I love that.

What needs improvement?

I'm really happy with Terraform because it has really come a long way up to this point. It has a stable version.

For the moment, Terraform is actually working really well with a majority of our providers and technologies. At this point, the news cables are about 80% to 90% from the feed. I don't see a problem with the product. But if you're talking about homes, bugs and some certain features, I think there are features that could be included. For example, if you are copying something from a well running machine to a remote machine, there are some issues with the current version, but it is acceptable.

I have been using HashiCorp Terraform for three months.

HashiCorp Terraform is extremely stable. But there are bugs that we are finding when doing some things. It's a really good product.

For the moment I am the only one using it. But if you're talking about my clients and thinking about jobs and growth and the community behind it, it's really good.

What I did first was see how this works, ask the community, and check all sorts of blogs that are really helpful. There is a lot of talking about Terraform so it is easy to study. It's not that hard to get a grasp on it. The information is there to make sure that someone can get this technology into their hands. I think the initial set up is really good.

If your core group is ready, it takes 10 minutes to one hour to make the magic happen. Then you have to make sure you know what you want. Once you get the job details it can be used in different projects because in the end everything is the same. Start with the hardware. It's about individual talent mainly. For me it takes about four to seven days to create a functioning Terraform.

I did it in-house.

What other advice do I have?

HashiCorp Terraform is a great product and I think anyone working with infrastructure should have it.

On a scale of one to ten I guess I would give HashiCorp Terraform a nine.

Private Cloud
    Chendrayan Venkatesan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cloud Automation Engineer at Shell
    An impressive infrastructure tool but requires a talented team to operate
    • "The ARM template is very easy to work with, which is a big help to us."
    • "On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven; strictly because I was uncomfortable using the ARM template earlier. After another six months, I am sure I will give it a rating of 10, but at this point in time in my experience, I say seven, but not because of the tool itself."

What is our primary use case?

We deliver the platform as a service to businesses. For example, one request for a particular subscription could be in the business domain or non-business domain, whatever it may be, based on the demand, we deliver the customized subscription to them. For each service, we have different constraints. What needs to be delivered in the VNet of Azure, and what needs to be done externally.

What is most valuable?

The ARM template is very easy to work with, which is a big help to us. At the end of the day, there are a lot of tools that we explore like FollowMe and other solutions, which come in handy.

What needs improvement?

I personally say it's already simplified. I don't see many areas for improvement because Terraform employs a lot of skilled engineers that put their time and energy into providing a fantastic enterprise-level tool like this. There is not much more to simplify. There are already quite notable features in Terraform and we've already been provided with updates and other features. In short, there are many things which are already in place, so I don't think that we need anything more from Terraform.

I have been using this solution for over six months.

Personally, I haven't really experienced any significant instability issues with Terraform. Once or twice I've noticed log issues, but apart from that, I haven't really experienced any problems. Keep in mind, this is the first platform that we are building using Terraform, so we have yet to come across the version with the initial data. In the future, I may face heat and pressure when I'm doing that, but I am not really sure because I have not done the hands-on work of it.

Technical support is offered by HashiCorp, but we can't call HashiCorp for technical support because we don't currently use the enterprise version. Our products are community-driven and the community support is great.

Considering we started from scratch, the initial setup was pretty straightforward. We didn't have any challenges. We started our platform build from scratch using Terraform.

For maintenance-related issues, we use GitHub to find the solution to any problems we encounter; we simply log an issue and follow-up with them.

What other advice do I have?

Provided your environment requires Terraform and/or you have skilled engineers who can perform the required maintenance, I would definitely recommend this solution. Terraform is not justified for use just anywhere; you need to have an experienced team to limit any issues. You need to have a certain level of training to consume the services in their DevOps Toolbox and then use them properly. I definitely support and recommend Terraform, but what you get out of it depends on the business environment as well as the team members' knowledge in Terraform.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven; strictly because I was uncomfortable using the ARM template earlier. After another six months, I am sure I will give it a rating of 10, but at this point in time in my experience, I say seven, but not because of the tool itself.

Microsoft Azure
    ArpanBalpande - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Information Technology System Analyst at YAUSH Technologies
    Easy to deploy, stable, and scalable with good support and many useful features
    • "The state backend, automated describe functionality, modular structures, and variablization using templates are most valuable."
    • "The state locking functionality can be improved. In certain situations, we have to force-unlock the state, which sometimes does not work. When that happens, we have to manually go to the state backend and remove that particular state, which is kind of a cumbersome process. It should also have more functions, more expressions, and support for more products."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for infrastructure as code automation. We are running its latest version.

What is most valuable?

The state backend, automated describe functionality, modular structures, and variablization using templates are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The state locking functionality can be improved. In certain situations, we have to force-unlock the state, which sometimes does not work. When that happens, we have to manually go to the state backend and remove that particular state, which is kind of a cumbersome process.

I have been using this solution for almost four years.

It has good stability.

It is good in terms of scalability. We have almost 35 to 40 users. We definitely plan to increase its usage.

We did interact with their technical support. It was easy to schedule a call with them. It was also easy to contact their sales team and the support team. It was definitely a good experience.

We had AWS CloudFormation as well as Azure ARM templates.

Its initial setup is quite good and simple. It didn't take more than one and a half hours.

I did it myself. We have four people for its maintenance. We have one admin and three deployers.

They have given it to us at a monthly cost, but it is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to understand the state backend and how Terraform works. They should also go through functions as well as expressions in the Terraform official documentation.

I would rate HashiCorp Terraform an eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Senior DevOps/Build Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    A stable and scalable solution which allows one to easily work faster and set up new environments
    • "The solution allows us to work faster with ease and to set up new environments and workspaces."
    • "I would like to see a short-term option for a short-term plan."

What is our primary use case?

I use the latest version.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a short-term option for a short-term plan. The last few versions contain plans with very long output which have since been altered. When one receives a plan involving many changes, it will not be applied. Even should nothing need apply, there is a very long history which is not really useful, as many find its application confusing.

I have been using HashiCorp Terraform for around five years.

The solution is pretty stable. I have no issues in this regard.

The solution is pretty scalable.

As the solution is open source, support is community based.

There is a need for configuration management, for setting up the infrastructure from scratch.

The set up process is pretty straightforward.

The duration of the deployment varies with the project. Our company is involved in many projects.

There are between one and five people who are responsible for maintaining the solution.

I went with HashiCorp Terraform over that of CloudFormation, as the latter is complicated and hard to understand. HashiCorp Terraform was easier to learn across platforms, regions and multi-clouds.

What other advice do I have?

I use the latest version. It is important to try to not repeat oneself and to utilize the module provided by HashiCorp and others for training purposes.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    KulbhushanMayer - PeerSpot reviewer
    Co Founder and Technical Architect at Think NYX Technologies LLP
    Reseller
    Supports many different platforms and has helped us to standardize our infrastructure setup
    • "The most valuable feature is the support for different platforms like cloud, datacenters, VCS, databases, various storage types, and Kubernetes."
    • "They have added a feature that helps us to import existing resources to our workspace, but if they can help us to create the code for the import, as well, then it would be a great addition."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Terraform to manage our multi-cloud requirement for different demos and test environments. It helps us set up the entire environment in a few mins with the exact configuration in AWSAzure, or GCP, along with other setups like a database, Kubernetes, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

Terraform helped us to standardized our infrastructure setup and to reduce errors occurring due to manual execution. It has made our environment more efficient.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support for different platforms like cloud, datacenters, VCS, databases, various storage types, and Kubernetes.

What needs improvement?

We have been using HashiCorp Terraform for more than two years.

We should always check the changes or impact of new release which is common for all tools so for me its good in terms of stability.

The scalability is good.

We have used platform CLIs and other customized scripting solutions that need lots of maintenance and care.

The initial setup is quite easy and straightforward.

We have evaluated other options like CloudFormation and Cloud Deployment Manager, but those were platform-dependent tools, so not suited for our multi-cloud model.

Hybrid Cloud
    Maxim-Chepukov - PeerSpot reviewer
    DevOps Engineer at IOTANS
    Useful automation, advantageous managerial capabilities, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

HashiCorp Terraform is a binary executable file, that you can download to your PC and manage any cloud solution in the world, such as Google Cloud Platform, Amazon AWS, OpenStack, CloudStack, or VMware. When you use DevOps in your company, it's a useful tool for it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of HashiCorp Terraform are automation and management capabilities.

What needs improvement?

HashiCorp Terraform could improve the integration with the VCloud Director. When we manage the VCloud Director we end up wasting our time when creating virtual machines. HashiCorp Terraform knows about these issues and I think there might be a workaround but they should incorporate the fix in an upcoming release.

I have been using HashiCorp Terraform for approximately one year.

HashiCorp Terraform is a stable solution. We did not have any problems.

The scalability of HashiCorp Terraform is good.

I have not used the technical support from HashiCorp Terraform.

HashiCorp Terraform tool is pre-installed on our DevOps engineer's laptops, and in our GitLab Servers. We assign it to a selection of virtual machines. We just run it, and then we perform some functions, such as creating systems or modifying CPUs or RAM.

We did the implementation of HashiCorp Terraform in-house. We have a good team of three programmers and DevOps engineers with experience.

We used one engineer for the implementation of HashiCorp Terraform.

HashiCorp Terraform is a free solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate HashiCorp Terraform a nine out of ten.

Download our free HashiCorp Terraform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022