IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

GFI FaxMaker OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

GFI FaxMaker is #1 ranked solution in top Fax Software. PeerSpot users give GFI FaxMaker an average rating of 8 out of 10. GFI FaxMaker is most commonly compared to RingCentral Fax: GFI FaxMaker vs RingCentral Fax. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
What is GFI FaxMaker?

GFI FAXmaker is a leading fax server for small to medium-sized enterprises. It makes sending and receiving faxes an efficient, simple and cost effective process and solves the problems with manual faxing: printing out the document, walking to the fax machine, waiting for the fax to go through, not to mention the cost of fax machine supplies and repair. GFI FAXmaker allows users to send and receive faxes directly from their email client.

GFI FaxMaker Buyer's Guide

Download the GFI FaxMaker Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

GFI FaxMaker Customers
ALFATECH, ABENA, Deli
GFI FaxMaker Video

GFI FaxMaker Pricing Advice

What users are saying about GFI FaxMaker pricing:
  • "The way we have our phone system set up and our ISP, Faxmaker saves us a ton of money. I don't know what the cost would be for a cloud-based solution, but we've purchased this software, we purchased the license, we upgraded it and, through the wonders of our internet provider, we actually almost fax for free."
  • "It is worth its price."
  • "If you take a three year license, it will save you a little money. However, some people say, "Fax is dead." I recommend not to overbook it."
  • "We have about 1000 faxes a month, which would take three minutes to send manually. This is 3000 minutes or 50 hours a month that the company saves by using GFI FaxMaker. To manually fax would cost us a 1000 euros a month and the license costs us a 100 euros a month, so we are saving 900 euros a month. That is a bit over 10,000 euros a year. Therefore, I think it is worth it to have it."
  • "The pricing is okay. It's normal, modern IT pricing. It's not not that cheap. You can't buy the licenses anymore, it's subscription-based, but that's how everybody does it."
  • GFI FaxMaker Reviews

Michael Livingston - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Director at Thomas George Associates Ltd
    Increased our productivity significantly and enables us to fax images from our imaging system
    • "We use it so that it does create an email connection to the LAN and then it returns a message via email, to the user who sent it, with a followup as to whether it was successful or not. We're able to send faxes from all the PCs in our environment."
    • "One of the issues we have — and I'm not sure it's the product; I tend to believe it's usually the end-user that we're sending to — is that a lot of times we cannot connect. I'm not sure if it's a speed issue, whether we're sending too fast, whether it has something to do with their receiving, or whether it's an internet issue. But we experience about a 10 to 12 percent failure rate with faxes, where we have to fax again."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for sending outgoing faxes.

How has it helped my organization?

Being able to send faxes via email was the purpose of our getting this solution. The nature of our business at one time was to get up, go to a filing cabinet, grab a file folder, and manually fax it. If we look back to the day where we were still using filing cabinets and compare it to using this, it probably saves us 20 minutes per file that we've worked on during the course of a day. It increased productivity, so instead of handling something like six files a day, we're now handling upwards of 30 files a day. That's a significant improvement.

Once we put an imaging system into place many years ago, this product became very useful because it then allowed us to take the images that were connected to a file that we were working on and fax out the necessary documents.

We use the solution to meet compliance or regulatory requirements indirectly because of the nature of our business. We have to be HIPAA compliant and we have to be ISO compliant, we have to be compliant with New York law, and we have to meet certain ANSI standards. The only thing we really didn't get into was the new GDPR stuff that came out, but we don't do any international stuff so we don't worry about that. But for legal purposes, our business requires us to have a place where documentation can be received, and faxing fits that mold.

We send roughly 80,000 faxes a year. The way we have our phone system set up and our ISP, Faxmaker saves us a ton of money. I don't know what the cost would be for a cloud-based solution, but we've purchased this software, we purchased the license, we upgraded it and, through the wonders of our internet provider, we actually almost fax for free.

What is most valuable?

For the users, they just fax stuff out with it. We've integrated it with our imaging system and it also works standalone. It seems to work very well for us.

We use it so that it does create an email connection to the LAN and then it returns a message via email, to the user who sent it, with a followup as to whether it was successful or not. We're able to send faxes from all the PCs in our environment.

What needs improvement?

One of the issues we have — and I'm not sure it's the product; I tend to believe it's usually the end-user that we're sending to — is that a lot of times we cannot connect. I'm not sure if it's a speed issue, whether we're sending too fast, whether it has something to do with their receiving, or whether it's an internet issue. But we experience about a 10 to 12 percent failure rate with faxes, where we have to fax again.

We've been using GFI FaxMaker for 15 years at least.

In all the time we've been using it, it has been a pretty solid product.

We probably started with a 25-user license. Now we're up to a 50-user license. We have been able to migrate it up easily and I'm sure, with the advent of what's going on in our country, I'm going to be migrating it down.

I don't recall ever having to use their technical support.

We just had a basic fax machine before Faxmaker.

I actually hired someone to set it up for us and they spent what appeared to be about a day and a half setting it up. That was back in the day when you would use a Brooktrout card and had to configure that in addition to the software. After that there was the testing.

When we went to a local area network methodology, we had to buy a device that interfaced between the LAN and the fax server, which would eliminate the use of the board that was in the old PC. It took a couple of days to get that worked up, besides waiting for the hardware device to show up.

The last time we had an upgrade with it was with the Windows operating system. That was just a minor change in how we were sending the faxes through the network via email through the fax server. In the transition to Windows 10 there was a little hiccup, but once we figured it out, we migrated it over easily, as far as the client side goes

We bought it such a long time ago that we just pay upgrade fees for licensing, and they are pretty inexpensive. I usually do it in three-year shots because that gives us some savings. It's in a good price range.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that your network is working well because the product will work well with a network that is working well. It's a decent all-around product, from what I can see.

I keep a log of what goes out. I really don't archive. I set this up a long time ago and I've never really looked at it again. It works and we're done. We stamp it out as a "carbon copy" to everyone. It's doing the job that we want it to do.

It requires minimal maintenance. Once in a while we have to restart the server, and sometimes we have to restart the hardware to the server. That might happen twice a year and it takes 10 minutes if we have to do a hard reboot or two minutes if it's just shutting down Faxmaker and restarting it.

Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    Leaderboard
    Reduces manual labor and costs
    • "The reporting is getting a bit better, as you can see what is coming though the line. We can now use the browser to get reports with the latest update. I also have information from up to four years ago regarding the fax statistics."
    • "I would like to see in the GFI FaxMaker console where the fax came from or was sent. Right now, I can only investigate the log file, make a record from it, and search by Excel when there was a fax."

What is our primary use case?

We have some old fax machines. Only one or two addresses are needed to fax because we have customers all around the world and some people who don't want to change to email. Therefore, we have a need to keep this fixed solution at our site. We also use it to send out faxes from our subsystem, where it is mostly needed.

We normally use it by sending faxes via email. We have a fax connection from SAP to the email system with a fax gateway.

How has it helped my organization?

When a fax is sent with GFI FaxMaker. the person who sends or receives the fax will get an email. In that email, there is an PDF attached with the original fax that has gone through. We have an email archiving AD where we have stored all those fax emails over the last 10 years.

What is most valuable?

The console is still the same as it has been for the last 10 years. It is very easy to add new new users and licenses.

The reporting is getting a bit better, as you can see what is coming though the line. We can now use the browser to get reports with the latest update. I also have information from up to four years ago regarding the fax statistics. This shows me that the fax volume is decreasing.

We have the PDF option. I can see all the faxes which come through by finding the corresponding PDF file.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see in the GFI FaxMaker console where the fax came from or was sent. Right now, I can only investigate the log file, make a record from it, and search by Excel when there was a fax.

We have 100 faxes from SAP which go out at some point over two lines and this takes about an hour. I don't see the log file for when the fax has arrived in the fax queue, only when it has been sent. It would sometimes be helpful to see how long it took until the fax was sent. Currently, once the action has been complete, I am unable to view it in the logs.

More than 10 years.

It is a stable solution.

I maintain this solution by myself.

We have about 50 people using the FaxMaker solution. We don't send so many faxes. We receive more faxes than we send.

We have reduced it from two years ago from 2000 faxes a month to about a thousand faxes a month. It's reducing, but it's working fine.

We have a partner who does other work for us. They are also a Microsoft partner. If we need any support, we receive it quickly. I have a problem about once a year, and it is usually solved in two to three hours.

Before we had this solution, we used an Austrian product.

The initial setup was not so complex. We had a partner helping us.

We have reduced 10 fax machines to three. To set them up to the GFI FaxMaker, we had to change the fax number to the GFI number. I spend about six days a year on GFI.

We have a partner, Consit, who installed the latest version. We did an update three months ago. If needed, they come onsite to us. I would recommend them.

We do the administration on our own, but it is easy to administrate.

We have seen ROI with this solution.

I remember that about 20 years ago there was one person who used to spend the day working on loading faxes into the fax machine. This solution makes life easier.

We have about 1000 faxes a month, which would take three minutes to send manually. This is 3000 minutes or 50 hours a month that the company saves by using GFI FaxMaker. To manually fax would cost us a 1000 euros a month and the license costs us a 100 euros a month, so we are saving 900 euros a month. That is a bit over 10,000 euros a year. Therefore, I think it is worth it to have it.

It is worth its price.

If you take a three year license, it will save you a little money. However, some people say, "Fax is dead." I recommend not to overbook it. While we had a need to add more licenses than we had before, it depends on the company's need.

We have added some new licenses this year. We are only using 75 licenses. At our location, we have about 50 employees.

What other advice do I have?

The only rule that we have setup is that an administrator gets an email.

I am not sure that we will go on the solution's OCR option. With the faxes sent with the SAP system, we can see the delivery node, invoice, etc. Therefore, we don't need to store it twice.

I would rate the solution as a nine (out of 10).

GFI FaxMaker
    May 2022
    Learn what your peers think about GFI FaxMaker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
    595,546 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IT Professional / Team Leader at Aos Stahl GmbH und Co Kg
    Leaderboard
    Provides a mobile solution for our employees when on the road, but a push-install option for setup would help
    • "Since any of our employees can sign in to FaxMaker from anywhere around the world, if they have the software on their computer, they pretty much take their fax machine with them. It's very mobile."
    • "It would be nice if the server provided a self-deploying package, as an MSI. Maybe the updated versions have it, but if you are connecting to a new machine and you want FaxMaker installed on it, you would just connect the server and it would do a push-install. That would be nice."

What is our primary use case?

We sell steel fences, steel gates, and the like. We have to work with a lot of companies that design gardens for people. Naturally, those companies are pretty small and their equipment is pretty old, and they like to receive a fax instead of an email because that way they have it printed in their hands. They can put their signature on it and put it back into the fax machine and send it to us.

It's mostly for the sales department.

How has it helped my organization?

A big advantage of FaxMaker is that it replaces hardware-based faxes. For us, setting up hardware-based faxes is pretty annoying.

Since any of our employees can sign in to FaxMaker from anywhere around the world, if they have the software on their computer, they pretty much take their fax machine with them. It's very mobile.

We're sending about five faxes a day as a company. In terms of time-savings, overall, it saves us somewhere on the order of six hours a month, as a broad estimate.

What is most valuable?

Once it's up and running, it's pretty convenient. There's a simple, major rule and that is: If you can print it then you can also send it as a fax, because FaxMaker is actually a printer, and that's very convenient.

The management console is pretty straightforward. It's pretty easy to handle, even if our version's management console is a bit old.

It enables us to fax via email and similar systems, that's how we do it. It has Exchange integration as far as I know, and that's its major use. You receive a fax as an email and you can send an email as a fax. That's the whole point of it, for us at least. The ability to send faxes this way saves us time. The only better way to do it would be to not send faxes at all.

I have been using GFI FaxMaker for the last three years, which is as long as I've been at the company, but I believe the company has had it for six or seven years.

So far, it has been running pretty smoothly. It's doing what it's supposed to. We've never had any problems.

It's easy to replicate to other users. We have 68 users on 70 licenses. It's used mostly by sales, but purchasing and quality management also use it within our company.

It would be nice if the server provided a self-deploying package, as an MSI. Maybe the updated versions have it, but if you are connecting to a new machine and you want FaxMaker installed on it, you would just connect the server and it would do a push-install. That would be nice.

I haven't had to use GFI's technical support for FaxMaker.

We did not have a previous solution.

The deployment was pretty easy.

I haven't done the setup for quite some time now because we are using a type of instant-clone technology where I only have to set it up once, on one computer, and that computer gets cloned in real-time if we need to add new users. So I don't have to redo it all the time. But in the past, it took me about 10 minutes to set it up on one computer. I'm only talking about the client setup, when the server is already there.

The server may take a little longer, but I didn't have to do that. It was already installed when I arrived here.

The IT department maintains the solution. There are two people involved with FaxMaker, registering new users and managing the fax numbers.

What other advice do I have?

It's easy, especially for the older generation, even though we in IT would like to get rid of it as soon as we could. But that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Currently, we're not using the solution’s OCR (optical character recognition) option to convert faxes to editable and searchable text, but that would be an interesting feature for our document integration in the future. We're not using it right now because the number of faxes we receive is declining.