Frontegg OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Frontegg is the #4 ranked solution in top Single Sign-On (SSO) tools, #4 ranked solution in top Customer Identity and Access Management tools, and #6 ranked solution in top Authentication Systems. PeerSpot users give Frontegg an average rating of 9.6 out of 10. Frontegg is most commonly compared to Auth0: Frontegg vs Auth0. Frontegg is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 51% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 16% of all views.

Download the Single Sign-On (SSO) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Frontegg?

Frontegg is a user management platform, designed for the Product-Led Growth (PLG) era. Frontegg provides blazing-fast integration of a powerful user infrastructure, designed to handle modern application use-cases.

Our platform supports app builders by covering all the way from fundamental authentication flows to the most advanced capabilities such as complex organizational structures (multi-tenancy), fine-grained authorization, API-token management, self-service admin portal for end-users, subscription enforcement, single-sign-on (SSO), and much more.

Frontegg’s interfaces are embedded as a UI layer within your app and becomes a customer-facing management interface for your end-users, both on the personal and workspace levels. Frontegg also powers-up your backend through rich SDKs supported in various languages and frameworks.

Pricing: Starts at $249/m

Frontegg Video

Frontegg Reviews

VP of Customer Success at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to integrate with a great admin portal layer and seamless onboarding
  • "The admin portal layer is super useful and saves valuable front-end development time."
  • "We're hoping to see more user management-related features, according to Frontegg's roadmap."

What is our primary use case?

It all started from an SSO request from a customer, leading us to solutions such as Okta and Auth0.

We weren’t sure Frontegg was the right solution for us since the authentication space is really leaning towards the competitors.

We then found so many valuable features we didn’t even know we could use Frontegg for and realized how powerful their customer-facing approach is. The decision was very easy to make and we were up and running in a week. The platform gave us much more than auth capabilities.

Frontegg openly shared its roadmap and it's really nice to know most of the things on their roadmap are on ours as well. Now we know where to allocate our R&D efforts.

It’s pretty amazing we can just focus on building our application without worrying about the other stuff.

How has it helped my organization?

I like Frontegg’s approach in the sense that they have every single capability possible that our enterprise customers need. They also cover the frontend side which is a huge benefit. It means that for every capability or feature they offer, there’s a UI component for the end-user. It serves really as an end-to-end solution for SaaS applications that want to grow.

SaaS companies like ours can just focus on what matters and not spend time on building SaaS essentials such as audit logs, SSO etc.

The frontend side is much more developed than in other offerings. We use the Admin Portal layer by Frontegg. The admin portal basically provides a UI for all the features provided (which we were able to customize).

The admin portal layer is super useful and saves valuable front-end development time. We’ve seen that usage from end-users from Day 1.

Another very important benefit, compared to others, is the fact that it’s genuinely REALLY easy to integrate. In just one hour and we were up and running. You can do a lot of customization, which takes some time, but is very easy to do since the documentation is very clear and easy. It really depends on how far you want to customize.

What is most valuable?

The SSO is a game-changer since it was seamless both for us and our customers to get onboarded, which is not taken for granted at all. In previous positions, it took much more time and effort and was mainly painful. With Frontegg it was really very easy.

You come first for the SSO and then discover a whole new world of things you just check off your checklist - from granular roles and permissions, to audit logs and MFA, security policies, webhooks, and token generation, and many more items that are in every company’s roadmap.

What needs improvement?

I’m looking forward to some promised features like custom domains.

We're hoping to see more user management-related features, according to Frontegg's roadmap. We don't see very many issues or requests since the roadmap is shared.

Sometimes we have our plans and we ask to make sure we're not working on the same things Frontegg is, which is pretty cool. We get monthly product updates that keep us in the know.

The product is relatively stable, with no significant pains.

Bugs are very fast to remediate and solve.

Single Sign-On (SSO)
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Frontegg, Auth0, Microsoft and others in Single Sign-On (SSO). Updated: November 2022.
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution for six months or so. So far, it has been good.

Developer at Kovrr
User
Intuitive with reCaptcha integration and helpful technical support
  • "The MFA policy via Frontegg allows us to enable/disable/enforce the Multi-Factor Authentication policy of our users and to enhance security and adhere to modern standards."
  • "The web interface is missing a way to delete a workspace. I have accidentally created a workspace and was not able to delete it. It's a minor thing that should be supported."

What is our primary use case?

Our company provides multiple cloud-based solutions to clients. All of these solutions support granular permissions, multi-tenancy, Captcha, and MFA. Our servers are Python-based (Flask, Fast-API) and the frontend is on React.

On our main solution, our users can exclusively access the pre-loaded data, that our automated systems analyze. This has to be carefully exposed to users by tenants, which Frontegg provides out-of-the-box.

We also require flexible roles that can access multiple tenants for testing reasons, and that's also supported easily.

How has it helped my organization?

Frontegg's solution fits us very well, as it removes the extra work of developing, maintaining, storing, and securing all of the user-management platforms. It saves us a lot of time and money every single day.

Frontegg allows our organization to focus on what matters - creating meaningful, innovative solutions for our customers without wasting time and energy on problems that were already solved by the industry many, many times before.

Without Frontegg, our dev velocity would have been compromised greatly, since we would have to invest in a lot of resources to maintain a properly secured, granular, and flexible user-management framework.

What is most valuable?

The Python and Flask support have allowed us to integrate Frontegg's solution into our existing services very easily and intuitively.

The @frontegg/react package is an open-source library that provides Context and Hooks that fits very well into any react app, with or without the React router.

The MFA policy via Frontegg allows us to enable/disable/enforce the Multi-Factor Authentication policy of our users and to enhance security and adhere to modern standards.

The reCaptcha integration is great. Using Captcha is a must these days, and FrontEgg supports that OOTB.

What needs improvement?

In general, the product is still young and I can't wait for more features to be released.
Frontegg should invest a bit more into documentation and online examples to provide for more use-cases.

Test kits could be helpful. It would allow users to have an "official" way to handle the different libraries in unit tests and integration tests.

The web interface is missing a way to delete a workspace. I have accidentally created a workspace and was not able to delete it. It's a minor thing that should be supported.

I've been using the solution for about a year.

We haven't had any stability problems.

The solution seems to be very scalable.

We communicate with the company via Slack. Their team is always there and responds to us very quickly, providing us with helpful solutions.
We have a specific professional that is in constant contact with us and helps us with everything we need.

When we point out a possible bug or a missing feature - the team is pretty quick in deploying a patch.

We used to manage our users locally with Django. It wasn't production-grade at all.

We handled everything in-house.

Single Sign-On (SSO)
November 2022
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Co-Founder & CTO at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Great granularity for roles and permissions and is multi-tenant by design
  • "Every feature is multi-tenant by design, making different customer requests effortless to provide."
  • "Frontegg is fairly stable, however, we are looking forward to some promised capabilities, such as more tightly integrated Feature Flag support."

What is our primary use case?

We were looking for a user management solution to manage our different users and to associate each user with the organization they belong to, and allow users to be able to view only the data of their organization. We also wanted to allow them to invite more members from their organization to the platform.

Our challenges involved onboarding new organizations as fast as possible and allowing different users to have certain features.

Our primary use case was to integrate the admin portal and allow our customers to add users, assign roles and permissions, and more.

How has it helped my organization?

Today the features we’re using the most include the registration page, user and tenants management (including storing custom data on the tenant level to use as “feature flags”), and the admin portal.

I like the admin portal since it allows us a full-stack solution for user management.
The frontend side is a major benefit that I am happy I can give my customers from day one, without compromising.

It helps us grow fast and focus our dev team on the core product while providing important user infrastructure to our customers.

Another important benefit we discovered is the ease of integration. The integration with Frontegg is almost immediate, and the support is great. If you’re thinking of developing it on your own, don’t.

What is most valuable?

We were looking for very specific capabilities. Everything we use is essential to us. If I had to choose, I would suggest that the most valuable features are the granular roles and permissions, the RBAC and ABAC models, and the multi-tenant by design approach.

Multi-tenancy is not really a feature but the model Frontegg works by. Every feature is multi-tenant by design, making different customer requests effortless to provide.

Frontegg has many other great features as well. We’re gradually adding more and more.

What needs improvement?

What’s nice about Frontegg is that the solution keeps giving more of what you already have in your roadmap. When looking into feature requests from customers around authentication and user management, it all falls under Frontegg’s offering.

We would love to have a bit more of a customizable experience in the areas of the registration page and login page since we would like our customers to have more personalized experiences.

I've used the solution for 3 months.

We did not have a different solution. We have had Frontegg since the beginning.

reviewer1650711 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
User
Great technical support, excellent webhooks, and has been very stable
  • "Their developers were always willing to meet even though we are in very different time zones."
  • "The PHP SDK is limited. It's not a huge deal as we can just use their web API directly, but it is something to note if you're using PHP.‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎"

What is our primary use case?

We needed a quick solution to implement webhooks. Frontegg was a nice choice because they provide plug-in React components for the frontend management UI. Given that we didn't have to build our own frontend, we were able to implement a webhook feature pretty quickly, and we also have the door open to using other Frontegg features in the future.

In addition, I was most impressed with Frontegg's quick turnaround to fix bugs and implement feature improvements.‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't given us major improvements other than providing the service that we expected.‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎

What is most valuable?

Webhooks are the most valuable feature for us. It's the only one we're using for now.‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎

What needs improvement?

The PHP SDK is limited. It's not a huge deal as we can just use their web API directly, but it is something to note if you're using PHP.‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏

I've been using the solution for about one year.

So far, the solution has been very stable. I haven't noticed any problems.

We haven't seen any scalability issues.

There is nothing but praise from us. Their developers were always willing to meet even though we are in very different time zones.

We did not previously use a different solution.

We are using a hybrid deployment model with as much infrastructure off of Frontegg's servers as possible. It's my understanding that we were one of the first customers to do this due to the fact that the setup was not documented well or intuitive. Luckily, Frontegg's developers were very flexible and willing to help work through the process.

We handled the initial setup in-house

We did evaluate other solutions, however, we didn't find other options that provided a frontend UI for webhooks.

Hybrid Cloud
DevOps Manager at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
User
Gives us everything we need to ensure that our customers have a safe and reliable authentication system
  • "It has Audit Log and many cool features that if we were to develop them by ourselves, it would require a lot of research and development resources. Frontegg gives us everything we need to ensure that our customers have a safe and reliable authentication system in which they can also manage some of the features and roles by themself which gives them more control over their environment."
  • "It would be nice to have a backup export with all tenant/users so that in case of a mistake we can have the option to restore the users."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for SSO for our SAAS product.

We are a multitenets product that requires specific authentication use cases for each customer.

We found the integration with third parties like Gmail/LinkedIn/LDAP with a reliable Audit Log and security to be valuable. The integration was very fast and increased our development effort.

How has it helped my organization?

Frontegg helps to integrate SSO with multiple third parties with minimal development effort. The integration was very fast and increased our development effort.

It has Audit Log and many cool features that if we were to develop them by ourselves, it would require a lot of research and development resources. Frontegg gives us everything we need to ensure that our customers have a safe and reliable authentication system in which they can also manage some of the features and roles by themself which gives them more control over their environment.

What is most valuable?

Frontegg gives us many features but the main SSO authentication with Gmail and LDAP is the most valuable for our organization. It allows us to provide safe authentication for our production customers.

The admin console also lets the customer manage their own users and roles.

In addition, the Audit Log answers our security requirements to follow and debut the customers' uses.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have a export button to file with all tenants/users so that in case of a disaster we will have the option to restore the users from file.

For security certifications, we need to make sure we can restore all of our products and data in minimal time. We are backing up the data using the API but it will be better to export everything to an external file so in case of a disaster or mistake  from our side, we can have the option to reload all the users and assign them to the relevant tenant as fast as possible

Six months.

Google
Team Lead Full Stack Developer at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
User
Enabled us to worry less about parts of the system that are not unique to our product and instead spend more time developing key value propositions

What is our primary use case?

We use Frontegg as the AuthZ and AuthN service for our SaaS product.

How has it helped my organization?

Frontegg enabled us to worry less about parts of the system that are not unique to our product, and instead spend more time developing out key value propositions.

What is most valuable?

We like the SSO, permissions and roles, multiple workspaces, and react login components.

What needs improvement?

We really like the ability to add the same user across tenants. From a UX perspective, the flow can be betterized.

I have been using Frontegg for one year.

Hybrid Cloud

Google
Download our free Single Sign-On (SSO) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Frontegg, Auth0, Microsoft, and more!
Updated: November 2022