Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Experian Data Quality OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Data Quality Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Experian Data Quality?
Experian Data Quality (previously QAS) contact data management tools help you capture correct address, email, and phone data as it comes in, Our data management platform, Experian Pandora, is an end to end platform that supports all your Data Management needs - Data Quality, Data Migration, Data Governance, Data Preparation and Single Customer View.

Experian Data Quality was previously known as QAS-Experian Data Quality, Experian Pandora, Intelligent Search Technology Data Quality.

Experian Data Quality Customers
Overstock.com, Cabela, Drugstore.com, Saks Fifth Avenue, Midmark, Umpqua Bank, Colorado Department of Labor & Employment, Fresno Pacific University, University of North Texas, ALDO
Experian Data Quality Video

Archived Experian Data Quality Reviews (more than two years old)

BI Developer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fast in taking unstructured data, processing it and spitting out all the different data types. The team moved to SSIS/SSRS, I suspect it didn’t fit in with the goal of creating a data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

The usual data cleansing: The suggestions it made for data formats (size, type, etc.) especially, and how quick it was. It was very fast in taking unstructured data, processing it and spitting out all the different data types, all the likely problem areas like errors and suggesting alternatives.

How has it helped my organization?

The product was dropped not long after I left the organization, I was told. The data team I was on moved to SSIS/SSRS, I heard. I suspect it didn’t fit in with the over-all goal of creating a data warehosue as quickly as possible. My manager (a non-techy) thought it would spit out a data warehouse with clean data at the other end. His fault. It was never going to do that.

What needs improvement?

The manual calculations and formulae. They were a bit complex. The formulae were a bit abstract. Not easy to understand. Not intuitive. I sat beside an SSIS guru and he took one look at them and said “Good luck Geoff”. I coded them all and after I left, I got a call from a techy there asking me what they were all about! He hadn’t a clue how to unravel them, even with documentation. Also, they managed to accidentally delete them all. No idea how they did that. After a few panic-filled phone calls, they dropped the whole thing. It was a mess there. Glad I left.

I used this on a contract back in 2015. Never used it before or since. I used it for 3-4 months.

Data Quality
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Experian, Melissa, Informatica and others in Data Quality. Updated: September 2022.
634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have not encountered any stability issues. It seems very stable.

I have not encountered any scalability issues. It handled the data space they had there at that organisation very well.

Technical support is patchy. The IT trainer who came up was very good and he handled a lot of support issues after it was bought, but when we rang the help desk, they just deferred to him every single time and we weren’t his only client.

I did not previously use a different solution.

The IT trainer from Experian handled all of the initial setup. It was smooth.

It is way, way over-priced in my opinion. There was a political storm in the organisation when it was bought. I for one didn’t think they needed it, but I am only a contractor with no say in these matters.

What other advice do I have?

It is excellent for data profiling. I felt the calculations were a bit overly complex but over-all a very good product and very visual with good stats.

Be absolutely certain and clear what you want it for. My manager hadn’t a clue. He thought it was just a big red button labelled “Press Here to Create a Data Warehouse...”.

it_user157632 - PeerSpot reviewer
Application Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
You need the right person to make the best of this product and you need to allow them a good amount of time to work.

What is most valuable?

The easy, fast and fully repeatable consolidation, analysis and output of data from multiple sources in multiple formats.

How has it helped my organization?

It has given us the ability to build information that wasn’t otherwise there, to build confidence in our applications, to troubleshoot data effectively and focus our efforts on genuine errors. We have much improved our ability to say whether a problem is really there.

What needs improvement?

The stability is not perfect but has improved a lot in the latest version. The online training is very useful but needs expanding and updating – it has loads of potential.

Around 1 year.

I was not part of the deployment process.

Yes but we are still not sure whether these are really OS or VMWare issues. We have it on VMware and have encountered some issues with running out of memory, but have not been able to repeat them reliably, and generally it is remarkably fast and responsive.

This is not an issue in the context I work on – our data is not big.

Very good – they are still a small enough company to give a high level of personal and knowledgeable support.

Very good.

We did not previously have a solution in this sense, we just used Excel!

I was not part of the installation process. The process of ingesting data is very straightforward once you understand the concepts (which are complex, though useful, and can be very confusing). The online training is very helpful here, although it needs updating.

A combination of both and they worked together well. The vendor team are very expert in the product.

Not within my knowledge in financial terms but it has made a marked difference for this department in generating happy customers and reliable, repeatable data about data. It could be larger if we bring in new kinds of data.

This I don’t know – the day-to-day cost is licensing and mainly my time.

I was not part of this process.

Data Quality
September 2022
634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user150909 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Data Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is not perfect but certainly makes my job much easier.

What is most valuable?

The Data Analysis features are most valuable allowing me to analyse large datasets with ease in a short time span.

How has it helped my organization?

The Daily checking of Data quality has allowed the company to cleanse and improve data quality on an on-going basis.

What needs improvement?

End to End connectivity could do with some improvement which I believe they are working on at this time.

The deployment onto a windows server was straightforward with easy to follow steps.

Initially the service was somewhat unstable with problems around once a day, This issue was quickly resolved and stability was improved markedly.

The product coped with the large amounts of data that we were required to handle. Inevitably the product experienced some slowdown when processing the largest amounts of data.

Customer Service: The level of customer service was high we had a Pandora expert with us for the first few days of operation.Technical Support: The Technical support was of a high standard with support whenever it was required and continual improvements to the configuration and stability of the product.

No this was the first specific tool of this kind used.

It was a straightforward Installation onto a windows server. With easy to follow steps and no need for complex operations to get it up and running.

A combination of both the vendor and in-house were used the vendor team hand-holding the in-house people through the process.

The exact amount is unknown to me. The product however allowed us to complete the project on time and within budget and is continuing to be used on subsequent Data Migration/Integration projects.

The evaluation was carried out by a third party and I am unaware of which other products were considered.

What other advice do I have?

I would say have the X88 team come and demonstrate the product on some of your real data. This should be enough to convince you that Pandora can improve your data quality/Stewardship or help with your Data Migration/Integration Project.
it_user150894 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Data Warehouse Specialist at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
The version I used was far from mature and I would recommend another solution.

What is most valuable?

The ability to find relationships between data sources.

Around 3 months

The Teradata connectivity was faulty and had to be patched by the vendor product team.

The tool was very unstable and was constantly hogging the resources, even if was not operating at the moment. The recommendation from the vendor was to "disable when not used". Also, sometimes it would halt for no reason, with the recommendation being "kill the process and start it up".

We never got to this point where we had issues with scalability.

Customer Service: The customer service was very good.Technical Support: The vendor team was very responsive and quickly issued the patch. Still, I wish there was nothing to patch in the first place.

There was no data quality solution prior to Pandora.

The initial setup was very straightforward and require a simple installation.

What other advice do I have?

Maybe the new release is stable and has all the functionalities, but the version I used was far from mature and I would recommend another solution.
BI Expert at a government with 51-200 employees
Great for combining data quality & transformation together, but the automation & external access could be improved.

What is most valuable?

X88 has the ability to import large volumes of data at great speed whilst categorizing the metadata for each artifact. This is a great feature when you need to analyze some data in a fast turnaround. It also has self-generating documentation feature which is great as an input document to development of a more industrial long term solution.

How has it helped my organization?

I have used this tool with many clients where there has been a need to rapidly prototype some data transformations, the speed at which this can be done visually in X88 helped keep the projects on target.

What needs improvement?

The product has great features for combining data quality and transformation together, but the automation and external access to the data could be improved.

4+ Years

Deployment of the product is straightforward with a simple server install followed by a client application.

No, the product remained functional even under heavy load.

The product appears to be horizontally scalable, but is not something I would use in a large scale automated architecture.

Customer Service: Excellent, they are very dedicated to their customers.Technical Support: The technical support given by X88 is of very high standard, reported bugs were generally fixed within a few days, often with workaround given in hours.

Typically to perform the same function required manual database work and scripts to extract and perform the same functions. X88 gave a quick view of the quality of the data and a rapid way to fix issues before exporting for use.

Setup is easy using a single wizard to install the Server application and the client. A typical Windows installer is used which makes the process easy to follow with no complicated configuration.

A Vendor team, using specialist Consultants.

The product costs can be as simple as an initial outlay for the product with on going support, or on a lease basis for short-term products.

No, there aren’t many other products that compete in the same space. When considering other tools like Qlikview Expressor, Wherescape and Talend their ETL capabilities are much more robust and scalable, however they did not offer the instant feedback that X88 does.

What other advice do I have?

To use the product effectively you need to ask your self what your goals are. The product can offer un-paralleled analysis of your data in a very short space and can be used as an ongoing tool in your daily DQ battles. Or it can be used as a prototyping tool to get a project up and running before handing over the self generating documentation to your development teams to build a more integrated solution.
it_user147234 - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Systems Support Analyst with 1,001-5,000 employees
I was originally doing this as a manual process, which would not have sufficed for what we had planned.

What is most valuable?

The extraction of data and possible ways you can format this to your needs

How has it helped my organization?

On two projects we have initiated recently we needed large amounts of data from our ERP system, alongside this we needed to do a comparable from our HR system to map the data, we were easily able to merge the two sets of data and find the inconsistencies between the two allowing us to complete this part of the project in speedy fashion.

What needs improvement?

I do not have any improvements I can offer, this tool has provided me with enough and more than what I need.

5 months

Upon the version I received I have not come across any issues, I am not aware of problems on previous versions either.

The only time I have had to come off the system was a scheduled upgrade of features, so no issues here also.

The system seems to handle anything that we input, I can foresee this being able to handle anything that we add going forward also.

Customer Service: 5 out of 5Technical Support: 5 out of 5

Other department was responsible for the core setup, but as for installing this on your desktop, it is an extremely simple process that takes little time, I assume it will depend on the computer specifications as to how fast this will run.

We have used this as an internal tool rather than giving it to many users within our organisation.

Once again, when it comes on the financials I was not included in this, but as for the projects it was used on in day terms it has saved us at least a month on our project that was 4-5 months long.

I did not deal with the cost side of it, however the user license can be deemed expensive if you do not make the most out of it.

What other advice do I have?

Seriously think of what you want to use the tool for, as this can be an expensive piece of kit to run, make sure that the services it offers are what you are looking for and will significantly reduce the time of whatever you may use it for.
it_user5520 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
A quick, efficient data profiler using integrated technology as an addition to database query.

Valuable Features:

Pandora provides a quick, efficient way to analyze, control and improve data using integrated technology. Quickly assess and improves the problem data. Is a validation of business rules. This offers a free data profiler that entices the user to upgrade. This combines all data integration into one program.

Room for Improvement:

The free data profiler doesn't contain enough dashboards to give the user a better feel of the program. Return on investment wasn't enough to persuade to upgrade. This is price comparable. This program doesn't offer much more than other data profilers.

Other Advice:

I chose Pandora X88 because I was able to get a free trial and didn't have to rely on a salesman to show me a short presentation. This is a very efficient assessment of company data. This was comparable in price. This program portrayed data problems that I wasn't aware of with using the database as a stand alone.
Download our free Data Quality Report and find out what your peers are saying about Experian, Melissa, Informatica, and more!
Updated: September 2022