Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Exinda OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Exinda is #5 ranked solution in top WAN Optimization tools. PeerSpot users give Exinda an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Exinda is most commonly compared to Steelhead: Exinda vs Steelhead. Exinda is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
Exinda Buyer's Guide

Download the Exinda Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Exinda?
Exinda is designed to help Network Managers solve pressing IT problems in today's complex network. Our award winning technology combines interactive analytics, an intelligent recommendation engine and powerful actions like shaping and optimization, all in one solution.
Exinda Customers
UMass Dartmouth, MLB Network, R&R Ice Cream, Savills, Manhattan School of Music, Blum Shapiro, Cincinnati Public Schools, City of Richmond, Genting Casinos, The Salvation Army, VoIP Unlimited, Frontier Silicon, Lakeshore Toltest, CTI Foods
Exinda Video

Archived Exinda Reviews (more than two years old)

Denis L - PeerSpot reviewer
Sales Solutions Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Can be used as a network orchestrator so you can be sure that the throughput is managed well and everything gets what it needs
  • "Exinda can show you which product uses how much throughput and can help you manage it."
  • "It should improve the quality of service. It can improve their connection to the internet and your IP."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the WAN management feature. You have WAN channel and with Exinda you can have throughput management on that channel. You may have solutions that connect to other sides of your business or to the cloud, for example, and you can know exactly what every solution uses which part of the throughput. Exinda can show you which product uses how much throughput and can help you manage it. You can use Exinda as a network orchestrator so you can be sure that the throughput is managed well and everything gets what it needs. You can choose to put 90% for business-critical applications and leave 10% for not critical applications and Exinda will manage this for you. It will dynamically change the throughput limits depending on how business-critical apps are using the WAN channel. If these apps need 90% they'll get it. But if they need only 50% (less than 90%) of WAN channel width, non-critical applications limits will be dynamically improved.

What needs improvement?

It will be great to get ability to work with in cloud infrastructures.

I have been using Exinda for six months.

It's very stable. When Exinda shuts down, it's not a problem for your network because it will only be a cable between the site and a firewall. You won't see any changes.

It runs 24/7.

Exinda
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Exinda. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's very scalable. Half of it can be a hardware appliance and the other half can be virtual. It can work with smaller channels like 100 megabits or five megabits. But it's not really an enterprise solution. This software is better for SMBs but it really depends. We have larger than midsized companies. It depends on their needs. But it is primarily small and medium-sized businesses.

I am a distributor so I often will act as the support.

It is pretty easy to set up but sometimes companies require more complex setups. Exinda is an optimization solution and it has a lot of features for that but I'm not so familiar with them. It can be complex to deploy but only because of the customer's needs.

The setup will take a minimum of an hour. You need that time to configure it and set up the default settings.

They offer scalable licenses. These licenses can be on different types of solutions; small boxes for a desktop or solutions for data centers. You can choose a big server but not have a big license or you can choose not a big solution for the desktop but have a big license.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to be sure to choose the right license. They have a lot of options with a lot of features but you have to be sure to choose the license type that you need.

I would rate Exinda an eight out of ten.

In the next release, I would like to have the ability to work with the cloud.

Head of Networks at a recruiting/HR firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Plug it in, in-line, and it works; enables us to prioritize traffic to a very granular level
  • "The most valuable feature is the ability to provide very granular classes of service. That's important because it allows us to prioritize certain traffic types over others, to a very granular level."
  • "What I don't like is the fact that I haven't purchased the overall management interface. That is the interface that allows you to manage multiple Exindas. Personally, I think Exinda should provide that for free. I think that if you buy more and more Exinda boxes, you shouldn't then have to incur a charge for the overall management software. While I can manage each Exinda separately, if they provided me with the overall management platform for free that would probably encourage me to buy more appliances."

What is our primary use case?

It's a WAN optimization tool. It allows us to provide WAN optimization at a more granular level than we would be able to do with a standard MPLS QoS configuration.

How has it helped my organization?

Exinda allows us to provide better voice quality out to India over heavily utilized WAN links.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to provide very granular classes of service. That's important because it allows us to prioritize certain traffic types over others, to a very granular level. It allows us to really control what the priority applications are, from a connectivity point of view. And we can do it very quickly as well, which is something we wouldn't be able to do with a third-party WAN provider.

What needs improvement?

The product itself is very good. The areas for improvement would be around the support service that GFI provides. The licensing is also complicated and the presales process is quite complicated as well.

We've been using Exinda for over five years.

The stability of the solution is very good. It's very stable.

I think it scales well. If you need to upgrade licenses, it's fairly easy to do. You do have to go through a fairly lengthy presales process to get new licenses. But in terms of scalability and manageability, it's okay.

It's being used in all of our main data centers. It's being used in our key offices. We may look to deploy a few more in the UK over the next few years, but there's no real driver for that at the moment. It may be useful to use it for getting more visibility and optimization of traffic in the cloud. So we may end up deploying another four or five Exinda units over the next two or three years. But it won't be in large numbers.

I would rate GFI's technical support a six out of 10. It's difficult to log a support ticket with them. You have to go through a very generic portal, and it's a very long-winded process. Once you've got the ticket logged, it's fine. They're pretty responsive. But you can't just phone up somebody and raise a support ticket. You have to go through their portal, which can take a while.

We did not have a previous solution. We went with Exinda because it works. It did what we wanted it to do, in terms of optimizing WAN traffic and our business saw a benefit as a result.

The setup is very straightforward. It's literally just plug-and-play. That is one of its key benefits. You just plug it in, in-line, and it works. It doesn't require any other network configuration to get it working, apart from the management connection. It's pretty simple.

Our original deployment took a couple of hours.

You can't do a business ROI on a product like Exinda. We can't say how much money we have saved by having Exinda versus how much money we would have lost by not having Exinda. It doesn't work that way.

The benefit that we have seen is that if we turn it off, people notice that the applications are running slowly.

We did a trial with Riverbed Steelhead but it didn't work. It was just too difficult to implement. And once we implemented it, there was no benefit.

What other advice do I have?

Before you deploy, think about what you're trying to achieve and think about what your success criteria are. That's what you need to do with any solution. There's no point buying a solution and then trying to work out what you're trying to achieve with it. First, decide what a successful deployment looks like and then see if Exinda will do.

While it works for my company, it may not work for a different organization with a different network setup. It works well for us because we have a largely centralized application deployment. If we had a more distributed application, the benefit from Exinda would be a lot less.

The biggest lesson I have learned from using this solution is about control and visibility. It gives me visibility over network traffic and it gives me some control over how to prioritize different traffic types.

In terms of the number of users of the solution, it is not that sort of a tool. It sits on the WAN. So anybody who's using the network, their traffic will be going across an Exinda. It requires very few people for deployment and maintenance. For the deployment we needed two people, just to help get it racked. If you need to have one replaced it's a very simple process. You don't need a large number of people to manage and maintain an Exinda deployment. The people involved are network techs.

As a solution, I would rate Exinda at nine out of 10. What I don't like is the fact that I haven't purchased the overall management interface. That is the interface that allows you to manage multiple Exindas. Personally, I think Exinda should provide that for free. I think that if you buy more and more Exinda boxes, you shouldn't then have to incur a charge for the overall management software. While I can manage each Exinda separately, if they provided me with the overall management platform for free, that would probably encourage me to buy more appliances.

I think their view is that if you have more than, say, 10 Exindas, you really need the management platform. We have nine, at the moment. We could go from nine to 20. Managing them all separately is not that difficult. But for me, if I've invested in the platform, and then Exinda says, "Well, we've come out with a solution that allows you to manage your estate more easily," having it would probably encourage us to buy more Exindas, because it would be easier to manage them.

Surely it would be in their interest to give me the overarching management platform, either for free or at a heavy discounted price. They've come up with a solution that allows you to manage more and more boxes, but then you have to pay for it. So you get hit with a double cost. You get hit with the cost of buying more Exindas and then you get hit with a very hefty cost for their management platform. I'm not going to go into specifics, but the last time I looked at the management platform cost I said, "Wow, how much? How much to manage a box that I could manage by myself?" I remember looking at the cost and saying, "Well, that has killed that sale immediately."

Exinda
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Bryant Dawson - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Exinda was a life saver for our voice traffic.

How has it helped my organization?

We needed a optimization product for our voice traffic that QoS alone could not accomplish for our low bandwidth sites. Getting Exinda was a life saver for our voice traffic

What is most valuable?

Policy based shaping

What needs improvement?

None that I can see.

2 years

None

I didn't need to scale so I cant answer this.

I never called them.

I never called them.

No other solution, just used Cisco QoS for our WAN.

Straightforward everything was spelled out and easy to figure out.

In-house

1 year

What other advice do I have?

I like the product and would recommend it to anyone.

it_user143976 - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Engineer & Product Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​Fundamentally sound with WAN acceleration, but needs to expand the range of accelerated applications.

What is most valuable?

I'm VAR engineer and support pre and post sales. The features that are most valuable to customers, in my view, are the variety of traffic management tools, the variety of built in data, graphs & reports, and application performance monitoring and alerts.

How has it helped my organization?

Exinda helps customers protect important business applications and control recreational internet use like streaming media and peer-to-peer apps.

What needs improvement?

Fundamentally sound with WAN acceleration, but needs to expand the range of accelerated applications. Also could expand the range of deployment options to include MPLS clouds.

6+ years

Have done over a hundred deployments without a problem.

Other than expected hardware problems as appliances age, no.

Positive, compared to industry competition.

Very good and improving.

I have used and supported Blue Coat Packetshaper and also currently support Procera Networks bandwidth management solution. As a VAR I support a number of solutions. Exinda is effective and relatively intuitive & easy to use.

Straightforward is one of the things that Exinda does very well. In addition to wizards, there is onboard context sensitive help. There is also built in intelligence. Exinda will suggest policies based on traffic patterns and current usage.

In house. We also do Exinda training.

For our customers, the typical ROI is in 3 years or under, depending on bandwidth costs and the deployment type, i.e., traffic shaping alone or traffic shaping with acceleration.

Depends on the scale. At 100 Mbps or less, initial costs can be under $12k. At 1 Gbps costs are around $50k, on 10 Gbps links with throughput over 2 Gbps costs can exceed $100k.

We are partners with a similar bandwidth management solution. We recommend a particular solution based on customer preferences, needs and environment.

What other advice do I have?

Deploy as close to the edge as possible, deploy in high availability, make sure your deployment will scale to 200% of current usage for the expected life of the appliance.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're an Exinda partner.
it_user140670 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Technical Support -Security at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The amount of data and the realtime data are valuable but I'd like to see more training material

What is most valuable?

The amount of data the product provides and the realtime data

How has it helped my organization?

Edge cache cutting down on bandwidth

What needs improvement?

More free training on the website for those just getting started

From 2012-2014

Just the edgecache bug with youtube which was fixed in a patch

None. Was solid!

Handled 700Mbs of internet surfing and streaming with ease.

Customer Service: Top notchTechnical Support: Top notch

Packetshaper by BlueCoat. Too much $$$ for what you got.

Yes, the details of the shaping setup was referenced by another Exinda shaper we had on site.

In house

It payed for itself

Go for it.
Download our free Exinda Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022