Ekahau Site Survey OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Ekahau Site Survey is the #1 ranked solution in top Network Modeling tools. PeerSpot users give Ekahau Site Survey an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Ekahau Site Survey is most commonly compared to AirMagnet Survey: Ekahau Site Survey vs AirMagnet Survey. Ekahau Site Survey is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 16% of all views.
Ekahau Site Survey Buyer's Guide

Download the Ekahau Site Survey Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Ekahau Site Survey?

Over 12 years in the making, ESSTM maintains its reputation as the easiest to use, enterprise-grade Wi-Fi design and maintenance tool for Wi-Fi professionals. With crystal clear heat maps and easy-to-use reports, ESS makes it simple to optimize Wi-Fi.

ESS allows you to plan and create Wi-Fi networks according to your performance and capacity requirements—taking into consideration the increasing amount of wireless clients and applications such as VoIP, HD video streaming and web browsing.

Ekahau Site Survey Customers

Presidio, Planet Earth, Ruckus

Ekahau Site Survey Video

Ekahau Site Survey Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Ekahau Site Survey pricing:
  • "That's a tricky thing. When it started off, we had one three-year license and one one-year license because we have two devices. Now, from my understanding, we can only renew every year or get a one-year license, and that cost varies. Being a government organization, we get a different cost than commercial. We have deployed it on Surface Pro tablets. So, the only other cost would be the hardware cost."
  • "I believe that it is approximately $2,000 per year for us. I know we pay for it on an annual basis."
  • "We pay $6,000 yearly for the licensing, but each piece of hardware, the Ekahau Sidekick, is $5,000."
  • "9,000 Euro per year."
  • "The pricing could be lower because the Huawei radial planning is free for the partner. When I asked my boss about buying Ekahau and the USB key, it was complicated because of the high cost, which is €5,000."
  • "The licenses are a little pricey compared to iBwave, etc."
  • "The solution is priced fairly for the features that you receive."
  • "The pricing is quite expensive. Not all companies can afford it"
  • Ekahau Site Survey Reviews

Primary Wireless Project Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
    Gives me everything I need to conduct a proper wireless survey
    • "There are some survey tools that are a little easier to use, but the benefit of using the Ekahau is that it is very configurable. If you go into a building that has solid cement walls, instead of traditional walls, you can configure it for that. It is much more configurable than the other ones."
    • "In all of our buildings, whenever we deploy wireless access points, we also have to deploy wireless intrusion detections. The Ekahau Site Survey tool doesn't allow us to differentiate between the access point and the intrusion detection device. That's because they're the same devices, but they're configured differently for the type of usage. That's one area that I would ask them to improve. They should allow the identification of access points versus wireless intrusion detection."

What is our primary use case?

We use Ekahau as our primary survey tool for conducting wireless surveys. Our sites range anywhere from small buildings with three access points to large buildings with up to 40 access points. So, we're pretty diverse in using this software. We also do post-surveys by using the software with Sidekick, which is a device that monitors wireless signals.

We use it on a standalone solution. We don't use it in a cloud environment because of the restrictions with getting the government certifications to put it on the network. So, we use it in a standalone environment.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The survey tool is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

In all of our buildings, whenever we deploy wireless access points, we also have to deploy wireless intrusion detections. The Ekahau Site Survey tool doesn't allow us to differentiate between the access point and the intrusion detection device. That's because they're the same devices, but they're configured differently for the type of usage. That's one area that I would ask them to improve. They should allow the identification of access points versus wireless intrusion detection.

It is somewhat expensive to renew the licenses every year. Obviously, most places can't maintain that. You would think that if you're not using the software any differently than you were from day one, then the license that you initially purchased would be good from that point forward, but it is not like that.

Ekahau Site Survey
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Ekahau Site Survey. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for about three years.

It is very stable except for renewing the licenses every year.

It is extremely scalable because you can deploy this solution in many different ways. You can deploy it as a standalone solution. You can deploy it in an enterprise environment or in a cloud environment. It can be deployed however you are capable of deploying it and whatever works best for you. So, it is very scalable.

Currently, just me and the other wireless PMs are using this solution. Because of the license restriction, we can't allow too many people to use it. It has to be pretty much tailored to one or two devices because we can't pass the licenses around to different devices.

It is our primary wireless survey tool. So, it is used pretty extensively.

I haven't really had to use them, but I'm assuming they would be pretty good. Ekahau has been good at everything else, so I'm assuming the technical team would also be very good.

We used something called Virtual Suite. The only reason we used that was that it was open source. We needed somewhere to start. So, we started with that. When we were able to purchase the Ekahau software, we started using it. We've been using it ever since.

It is pretty straightforward. It is not complex. If you've never used survey tools, it would be difficult when you use it for the first time. If you've used survey tools before, then it's no different than any of the other tools.

In terms of the implementation strategy, we had to develop a standalone suite and deploy the software onto those standalone tablets. We just had to load it on standalone computers. Currently, we have to maintain licenses to access the software every year. Other than that, it's not really difficult.

We did it all ourselves. For its deployment and maintenance, we have a staff of two people.

We evaluated other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend going to the Ekahau training class. They have a class to train you on how to do surveys.

I would rate it a 10 out of 10 because as a project manager doing wireless surveys, it gives me all the tools and access that I need to be able to conduct a proper survey. The only thing that it requires is the ability to differentiate between an access point and a wireless intrusion detection device.

Mike Scofield - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director of Technology at Zion Elementary School District 6
    It is useful for assessing wireless coverage, has good visibility, and is simple to install
    • "The most valuable features of the Ekahau Site Survey for us are the combination of using the tool."
    • "The new Sidekick is going to support Wi-Fi 6 and Wi-Fi 6E."

What is our primary use case?

Ekahau Site Survey is used for site surveys.

We are a school district. In the event that we have coverage issues, and someone reports that they have coverage issues, we go investigate.

Essentially, we can look and see what the current situation is in that area. And this allows us to make adjustments as needed.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the Ekahau Site Survey for us are the combination of using the tool. It's simply a useful tool for assessing wireless coverage.

What needs improvement?

They have a new product on the way, a new Sidekick that we just ordered, that will cover basically Wi-Fi 6E, which we don't have yet but plan to get.

Hopefully, it will be in place by next year. We are buying that ahead of time, knowing that we'll be moving in that direction in the future with 6E and Wi-Fi 6.

The 6E uses a completely different spectrum, which is why we need a new Sidekick for it. I know they recently upgraded their software and are making upgrades to support it. I hate to say what they need to improve without seeing their new product, which is on the way.

The new Sidekick is going to support Wi-Fi 6 and Wi-Fi 6E.

I have some experience with the Ekahau.

I am not the primary user of it right now. In fact, an upgrade to the Ekahau product is on the way.

I have never had any issues with the stability of the Ekahau Site Survey.

It has no limitations in terms of scalability; you can use it in as many buildings or locations as you have.  I am not sure if it needs to scale beyond that.

We are not a large organization. We have eight locations, but I am sure some large corporations have no such restrictions.

We are a school district with approximately 2,200 students and 500 employees. That would be approximately 2,700 users.

I used AirMagnet years ago.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward and simple.

It can be used in a variety of ways. For example, you can use an iPad, but you can also use a laptop. We used an iPad Pro a little bit.

Having GPS capabilities built into the device you are using is beneficial because it can easily line up with maps and things of that nature, especially if you are doing any kind of site surveys outside.

We only have two users in terms of technology. It is used by two people, one of whom is myself. And, to be honest, I rarely use it. My network engineer is the primary user, though we have considered using some of our tier-one technicians to assist, but that is simply a matter of training on our end.

There is a one-time fee for the Sidekick unit, which houses all of the radios that you connect to your device to track.

There is also a charge for the software.

What other advice do I have?

Their software, combined with the Sidekick, is the best tool that we have come across. This is why we chose it: to conduct accurate site surveys, and they are compatible with all of the access points that we use.

I can't speak for other products, but it works really well for us.

I would rate Ekahau Site Survey an eight out of ten.

It does what we need it to do. Obviously, we have to train people on how to use it, it is not automatic.

When we take it into an area to see what is going on, or even if we are going to survey an entire school, it does an excellent job.

Ekahau Site Survey
    November 2022
    653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Analyst at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Valuable troubleshooting tools and easy to scale, but outdated documentation, issues with stability, and lacks differentiated survey modes
    • "The troubleshooting tools are the most valuable feature of the solution."
    • "I wish the solution was better at making different survey modes."

What is our primary use case?

I do validation surveys, so I use the solution to design new surveys and troubleshoot any issues in the network.

What is most valuable?

The troubleshooting tools are the most valuable feature of the solution. Plus, the fact that you can have all the software you need in one place is really handy and convenient.

What needs improvement?

I wish the solution was better at making different survey modes, like in AirMagnet. When I use AirMagnet, I can go in and say, "I'm doing a survey on a stick," and then it will go into that "survey on a stick" mode and I can just start doing my survey. Ekahau doesn't have that. If you want to do an AP on a stick survey, each time you complete a section, you have to go in and freeze the AP manually in the software. That just seems archaic, considering AirMagnet had that problem solved ten years ago.

The worst thing about Ekahau in general is their documentation. Trying to find the answer to what you're looking for is really difficult because they constantly change their verbiage, but they don't constantly update the documents. You'll find documents using old verbiage from old versions and you're like, "No, I'm looking for this..."

I've used this solution weekly for the last seven years.

Up until recently, I would have said that the stability was very good, but recently I've had a lot of problems, to the point where we are actually doing a demo with AirMagnet tomorrow. The stability has just been really bad lately.

The scalability is really good. I can survey sites with anywhere from five APs to 150 APs, and it works just fine on all of it.

There are three people in our company who currently use this solution: myself, one of my juniors, and my counterpart in Canada.

The tech support is very hit or miss. It can be really good or it can be really bad, depending on which engineer you get. They don't have a lot of engineers though, so you can generally get the same one if you try. The other problem is that their escalation is in Europe, so if they have to escalate your case, there's a lot of time lost because of the time difference.

There is a bit of a learning curve with the initial setup because if you get the Pro version, you get five pieces of software.

We pay $6,000 yearly for the licensing, but each piece of hardware, the Ekahau Sidekick, is $5,000. We have three of them, but they're one-time purchases.

I will say that the warranty on those is kind of garbage. The USB-C port on one of ours went loose, which wasn't covered in the warranty, so we had to replace it within a year. That was very expensive. We paid $10,000 in one year for just one Sidekick because their warranty doesn't cover the ports on the device, which is kind of flaky.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that you need to decide what it is you want to do. If you just need to do validation surveys or predictive surveys, Ekahau is fine. I feel like though, if you're going to go out and do an AP on a stick, an actual survey, Ekahau is not as good as AirMagnet in that regard, so you need to know what your use case will be.

I would rate this solution as a seven out of ten.

Solutions Architect at Altron
    Reseller
    Easy to plot APs and provides very professional reporting
    • "It's easy to plot APs and generate reports."
    • "Lacks an in-app photo app or a way to upload photos while carrying out an active onsite survey."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for off-site surveys. We are resellers of this solution and I'm a solutions architect working in pre-sales. Our company is based in South Africa.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's easy to plot the APs and generate reports. It's a good design. The reports Ekahau provides are very professional. The product is mature and provides ease of use regarding large-scale planning and reporting. It's a mature solution.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see the option of an in-app photo application or a way to upload photos while carrying out an active onsite survey. You can obviously use a tablet's camera but it would be helpful to have an automated import of the physical AP in the Ekahau reports. Also, they come out with a lot of updates and it sometimes feels too much. Finally, I'd like to see a function or plugin for Ekahau to pick up on the switches the APs connect to so that you can map out further than just the APs when you do your site survey. It would be great if it could pick up a Mac address of each AP's switches, which would help engineers map out a network topology.

I've been using this solution for four years.

We're happy with the stability.

When we started out with the solution, the only support available was via email. It was efficient but sometimes it's preferable to speak to someone. I haven't used the support in a while, but it has improved despite the fact that it's a bit too rigid for my liking.

I've used AirMagnet once or twice and found it to be cumbersome. Part of it may be that I'm more experienced with Ekahau. This kind of work previously required the manual effort of taking floor plans to sites, along with physical APs to test the coverage and plot out our WiFi design.

The initial setup was straightforward. We had a technical session with Ruckus in South Africa after we'd been using the solution for a year. It was more of a workshop for using Ekahau for Ruckus designs. I carried out the deployment and it took around 20 minutes.

The solution provides good reporting and is easy to use but the pricing is a sore point even though you get what you pay for. This is a very expensive solution, more than double AirMagnet. In terms of the South African rand and economy, it's very expensive. Our annual licensing costs amount to the equivalent of around 9000 euros.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the budget for it, this is a very good product. We've been doing WiFi for quite a long time and we didn't do the online training or use the guides. For anyone new to the solution, it's worth spending a couple of hours with the online help that's available.

The only downfall is the price so I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Manuele Groppi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior System Engineer at alascom
    Has valuable planning and building features, but the GPS could be improved
    • "The planning feature is useful because it's very affordable."
    • "The GPS feature could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Ekahau Site Survey for our customers' companies. I work for a Cisco partner and a Huawei partner, and we use the product when we deploy Cisco and Huawei.

What is most valuable?

I have found all of the features useful, depending on which phase we're looking for. The planning feature is useful because it's very affordable. The planning feature permits us to import the DWG file and get the old wall inside of it.

The building feature is also useful because it can be done layer by layer and floor by floor, not only in the planning site.

What needs improvement?

The GPS feature inside Ekahau could be improved. When we have a small office, it's no problem because the planning and workflow is just enough, but in the grid field we have a 250 access point. In this case, performing a survey work through is complicated, and the GPS feature could be very useful.

When we generate the report, sometimes we have too much information and it's not explained well. We have to take time to change it or make comments because it's not clear, especially for our customers who don't have deeper knowledge.

The radial planning feature could be improved. The interference report and the spectrum analyzer could be easier to use. It would help if an estimate of the program could tell us what type of interference we have. For instance, Cisco tell us what types of interference there are.

It would be helpful if the tool could be managed by someone who doesn't have a lot of experience and doesn't need any support to do a site survey. That could increase its value in comparison with other software.

I have been using Ekahau Site Survey for about 10 years.

We don't have much experience with technical support because we don't have many problems. However, we have had problems with software licensing. Sometimes the GPS will be broken or unavailable. In that case, we contacted Ekahau for technical assistance and after that, we didn't have any problems with the product.

The pricing could be lower because the Huawei radial planning is free for the partner. When I asked my boss about buying Ekahau and the USB key, it was complicated because of the high cost, which is €5,000.

For the licensing policy, I spent €5,000 and get support for maybe one or two years. It could be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution seven out of ten.

Owner at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to set up, very stable, and very handy for large venues
    • "I don't handle the software that much. I'll do some of the testing with our CTO. It is primarily him and I. He has commented before that he likes the fact that with two licenses, we can set it up so that when we're on a large facility, he can see where I am and I can see where he is. That's for sure is very handy in large venues."
    • "Our CTO was not real happy with their support."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Ekahau Pro. We have been using it for site surveys. We are mainly using it for passive site surveys for large venues such as sporting arenas and convention centers.

What is most valuable?

I don't handle the software that much. I'll do some of the testing with our CTO. It is primarily him and I. He has commented before that he likes the fact that with two licenses, we can set it up so that when we're on a large facility, he can see where I am and I can see where he is. That's for sure is very handy in large venues.

What needs improvement?

It is a little bit more expensive than other solutions.

Our CTO was not real happy with their support.

I have probably two years of hands-on experience.

I don't recall any stability issues. We're quite happy with it.

One thing I know our CTO was not real happy with was support. I can't recall the issue, but dealing with the support in the US was a bit painful. We bought it directly out of the US as opposed to Canada.

It was pretty straightforward for my CTO.

If the business would've kept going the way it was, we probably would've had it for a couple of years. With COVID and everything, we had a bit of a gap in the continuation of the workload that we had scheduled.

The licenses are a little pricey compared to iBwave, etc.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we're pretty happy with it. One reason why we bought Ekahau was that one of our major customers happen to use Ekahau at a large Telco. They just don't have a lot of operators that can run it, and when we provide reports to them, it is for them to read and research, and things like that.

I work closely with the guy who does all the CAD work. He imports the CAD files and sets everything up, and he seems to be happy with that aspect of it. He had just that one issue with service support. So, based on that, I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Converged Services Project Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    High accuracy percentage, integrates well, and easy installation
    • "I have found the most valuable feature is the RF interference and integration capabilities."
    • "Sometimes there is a cancellation between two signals that the solution is not able to monitor correctly, this could improve in the future."

What is most valuable?

I have found the most valuable feature is the RF interference and integration capabilities. While upgrading or adding on different hardware to a solution you need to use propriety hardware from the manufacturer sometimes for it to be compatible, this solution integrates well with other hardware. Additionally, the solution is reliable and has a high percentage of accuracy.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes there is a cancellation between two signals that the solution is not able to monitor correctly, this could improve in the future. I believe there is some kind of scattering happening preventing the solution from detecting the two signals correctly.

In a future release, I would like to see integration with wifi controllers, such as Aruba controllers.

I have been using the solution for many years.

The stability is very good with this solution.

The initial installation is straightforward. It is easy, you can do it in a matter of minutes.

The solution is priced fairly for the features that you receive.

There are solutions that can provide some of the functionality of the solution for free.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Ekahau Site Survey a nine out of ten.

Hussain Shabbir - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Executive Officer at SHAH Solutions
    It lets you create heat maps without doing the initial survey.
    • "Ekahau lets you create heat maps without doing the initial survey. It makes the task easier."
    • "Most features are there, but the network adapter support should be better. Ekahau should support all laptops and versions. There's an issue with the driver too."

What is our primary use case?

I use Ekahau Site Survey for heat mapping wireless coverage.

What is most valuable?

Ekahau lets you create heat maps without doing the initial survey. It makes the task easier.

What needs improvement?

When a version goes out of support, sometimes the newer version isn't already available. There should be an option to import, and maybe access points can be added to the other version as well.

Most features are there, but the network adapter support should be better. Ekahau should support all laptops and versions. There's an issue with the driver too.

I've used Ekahau for the last two years.

Installing Ekahau is straightforward. You install it on a Windows machine, and that's it.

I did the installation by myself.

The pricing is quite expensive. Not all companies can afford it

I've tried NetScout and Acrylic. We're comparing them, and we'll buy them if they meet our needs.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Ekahau Site Survey eight out of 10. Go for it if you can afford it.