IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Denodo OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Denodo is #2 ranked solution in top Data Virtualization tools, #4 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Integration tools, and #15 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give Denodo an average rating of 8 out of 10. Denodo is most commonly compared to Azure Data Factory: Denodo vs Azure Data Factory. Denodo is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
Denodo Buyer's Guide

Download the Denodo Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Denodo?

Denodo operates in the data virtualization field– providing high performance, unified access to the broadest range of enterprise, big data, cloud and unstructured sources, and the most agile data services provisioning and governance – at less than half the cost of traditional data integration. Denodo’s customers have gained significant business agility and ROI by creating a unified virtual data layer that serves strategic enterprise-wide information needs for agile BI, big data analytics, web and cloud integration, single-view applications, and SOA data services across every major industry

Denodo Platform offers the broadest access to structured and unstructured data residing in enterprise, big data, and cloud sources, in both batch and real-time, exceeding the performance needs of data-intensive organizations for both analytical and operational use cases, delivered in a much shorter timeframe than traditional data integration tools.

The Denodo Platform drives agility, faster time to market, increased customer engagement from single view of customer and operational efficiencies from real-time business intelligence and self-serviceability.
Founded in 1999, Denodo is privately held, with main offices in Palo Alto (CA), Madrid (Spain), Munich (Germany) and London (UK).

Denodo Customers

Autodesk, VHA, AAA, Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank, Caterpillar, European Chemical Agency, Seagate, Nationwide, Time Warner Cable, Pantex, Inditex, BNSF Railways, Vodafone, CIT Group, Jazztel, Wolters Kluwer, Telefonica, TransAlta

Denodo Video

Denodo Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Denodo pricing:
  • "I don't know the actual cost, but it's tens of thousands of dollars per month."
  • "The licensing should be improved, as the cost per connector is quite expensive."
  • Denodo Reviews

Data Analytics Specialist at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
    Good performance and integration, but needs more training documentation
    • "The most valuable feature is the performance. Denodo is very useful, especially in this huge pharma environment. I've found that older SAP solutions were very tightly coupled to each other, which resulted in data restrictions. Getting data from different sources was tough and tedious. Compared to these old solutions, Denodo is very easy to work with for the analytical team. Now that we've implemented this virtualization layer, we are capable of getting the data very smoothly. We implemented a very small unit, but the performance and integration have been very good."
    • "Denodo's training documentation could be improved by providing more material. From an administrative standpoint, I've found that only Denodo websites provide the usual tutorials. It may be because it's a bit of a restricted tool, but it results in trouble with learning. Normally, I can find help and solutions from other sources, but I haven't been able to find any for Denodo. Other that, it's fine and it performs well. I only have six months of experience, so I can't accurately suggest improvements."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for data virtualization. I'm working in the pharma domain, so there are large amounts of data coming in from different sources, which I aggregate into Azure SQL, some other web services, and SAP applications like CRM, POS, and others. Denodo acts as a virtualization layer, where we are collecting and creating views for analytical purposes. So we use Denodo to integrate and transform. It is deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance. Denodo is very useful, especially in this huge pharma environment. I've found that older SAP solutions were very tightly coupled to each other, which resulted in data restrictions. Getting data from different sources was tough and tedious. Compared to these old solutions, Denodo is very easy to work with for the analytical team. Now that we've implemented this virtualization layer, we are capable of getting the data very smoothly. We implemented a very small unit, but the performance and integration have been very good.

What needs improvement?

Denodo's training documentation could be improved by providing more material. From an administrative standpoint, I've found that only Denodo websites provide the usual tutorials. It may be because it's a bit of a restricted tool, but it results in trouble with learning. Normally, I can find help and solutions from other sources, but I haven't been able to find any for Denodo. Other that, it's fine and it performs well. I only have six months of experience, so I can't accurately suggest improvements.

I have been using Denodo for almost six months.
    Denodo
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Denodo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Currently, we haven't found any discrepancies or problems with stability. We are a team of 25 using Denodo simultaneously, but we're still in a development and testing environment. Once it's in production, we'll be able to tell if there's any kind of a bottleneck.

Our Denodo administrative team created a pipeline from one environment to another environment and we haven't had any trouble yet. The production deployment is going to happen soon, so within a month or so we'll have a better understanding of the production data, streaming data, and all that.

Technical support is fine. I will say that my team and I are interested in pursuing a Denodo certification. I was looking for a way to take the Denodo Administrative Certification 8.0, but I'm still waiting on that. Developers are restricted right now because we need to pay for each and every topic in Denodo.

I have worked with Azure Data Factory. With Data Factory, you need a staging solution, a physical data platform for storage. Denodo doesn't need this, since it has a cache mechanism.  I have also previously worked with TIBCO, but that was more service integration than data integration.

The initial setup was easy. Also, connecting Denodo to Power BI was a smooth process. It was simple to connect it with a Denodo ODBC connector. So installation and connecting with other tools were both very easy.  For deployment and maintenance, we are a team of two developers. It took around eight months to develop the unified views.

I implemented through an in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a seven out of ten. I work in an advanced analytical area where it helps to reduce bottlenecks, extract from different application sources, improves performance, and gets the desired data, which is what those endpoint people need.  If you have a vast data fabric or data mesh architectural framework, I definitely suggest implementing this kind of a virtualization layer. I recommend Denodo because it has been very easy, compared to other integration platforms.

Deputy General Manager at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Reasonable pricing, good data integration, and pretty stable
    • "Overall, the product works quite well and has a good set of features."
    • "We occasionally have some integration issues that we need to work through."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for data virtualization and visualization. We actually have it integrated with some other virtualization tools as well. We design the systems and hand them over to our customers.

What is most valuable?

The price is fantastic. The cost is reasonable for what is offered.

Overall, the product works quite well and has a good set of features.

Their integration capabilities with data are great. The solution can integrate different types of data quite easily.

What needs improvement?

In our country, we do have to get the training and do the end-to-end delivery, and that can be a bit hectic when it comes to customer systems development. We need a bit more external support from the company. Support has been a real issue for us.

We occasionally have some integration issues that we need to work through.

In terms of features, et cetera, I don't know if there is anything really missing from that perspective. We are also new to this product. We have to analyze it and other products and that process often takes some time. It's not fair to comment on what's missing without surveying the entire landscape.

We've been dealing with the solution for about two years now.

We haven't had any complaints from our clients in relation to stability. It must be good, otherwise, we would have heard of issues surrounding crashes or glitches.

In terms of scalability, the solution has some integration requirements. People are writing different types of code so sometimes there can be issues related to that. However, compared to other comparable products they are relatively good at integrating.

We've been disappointed with the level of technical support, particularly on the outset. We need more training and so do our customers. This is lacking. We're not completely satisfied with the level of service provided to us.

The initial setup is a bit new to us and it can be a bit complex. Having customer support that could assist us more effectively would be helpful in easing the process.

The deployment process depends on the client and their requirements (such as the number of data fields required). It can be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

We'd like to have more technical support during the implementation process, however, they don't seem to offer too much assistance.

While the pricing is expensive, it's still a fair price for the offering. Of course, we always want to pay less where we can.

What other advice do I have?

We are local partners. We have a business relationship with Denodo.

We would recommend the product overall.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight. If they improved their integration capabilities and used some standard integration interfaces, I would mark them higher. If they offered more training and support, I'd mark them higher still.

Hybrid Cloud
    Denodo
    July 2022
    610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    KevinMonte De Ramos - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data and Analytics Strategist at Climate Action Services Inc.
    Good data catalogs for data anonymization, and the technical support if fantastic
    • "The most valuable feature is Data Catalogs."
    • "The dropdown menus feel antiquated to me, and the administrative portals need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant for an organization.

We are using this solution for data anonymization, and then the particular use case that's of an advantage is the chain of custody of data. That is something that is really critical today, in breaking down that barrier.

Data can remain where it is and still be shared.

How has it helped my organization?

Agility due to personal empowerment of our analytics professionals

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is Data Catalogs.

What I like about them is that there's a breakout, a functional component of other large enterprise systems, which makes it much more usable.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see a better user experience and the interface needs modernization.

I have been using this solution for a year and a half.

We are using version 7, but it's 8 now.

It's a stable product.

I haven't had any experience scaling it, but it's certainly a scalable platform.

Technical support is fantastic as far as availability and advice. I would give them the highest rating. I have had no trouble getting ahold of them and they have offered a lot of free advice.

They are really good.

Net new.

Because it's an enterprise system, it was both straightforward and complex. There is no such thing as not complex for an enterprise.

It took some months for a POC.

I am the consultant, so I do the strategy and then we hire out the different implementers.

I don't know the actual cost, but it's tens of thousands of dollars per month.

It's an ongoing license similar to a bandwidth license. It's not priced like that, it's priced on a core, but it's a bandwidth license.

The pricing is okay, as it's less costly than other options. They could probably charge more if they wanted to.

This solution checked all of the boxes so we committed to it for proof of concept.

What other advice do I have?

They're an industry leader for an emergent layer, and they don't sell you everything else associated with it.

There are not very many competitors.

I would suggest to get on with the proof of concept with it, and then if it doesn't work, you can back away from it with very little pain.

You can scale up and get on with it.

We have found that all of the competitors have a series of products that would cost a great deal more.

I just became a partner as a consultant. I went through the partner training very recently.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Looking to become partner to add onto our data and analytic strategy consulting.
    Finance Systems Programme Manager at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Good data lineage features and it is stable, but the support needs improvement
    • "The most valuable features are data lineage and the concept of a semantic layer."
    • "The support is not the best and should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and I use Denodo for my clients.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The support is not the best and should be improved.

In the future, I would like to see a different structure for how they manage the data sources and connectors. Having a better data lineage tool would also be an improvement.

Better audit capabilities would be a useful enhancement.

I have been working with Denodo for approximately five years.

Denodo has been stable so far.

Everything from the initial support for questions, all the way through to ongoing support once you're live with the product, needs improvement.

We have worked with lots of other tools that do different things, but not data virtualization.

The initial setup is quite easy.

The licensing should be improved, as the cost per connector is quite expensive.

We looked at other tools including Data Virtuality, Alteryx, and AWS Datahub.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Denodo is to investigate it first. Download a free copy from the AWS Marketplace and really test it before you embark on your projects. Ensure that it meets your requirements, no just in the short-term, but in the long-term.

This is one of the better products on the market.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Asil Allaham - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior BI Developer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Easy to export data as a service or data link to other services
    • "Denodo makes it easy to export data as a service or data link to other services."
    • "There have been some issues when you are at a table. Currently, Denodo exports data sets for a tabular model. When you are finished modeling your database or data warehouse they export a link to be used in Tableau. They should support other tools like Power BI."

What is our primary use case?

I am currently a Senior BI Developer. We are partners with Denodo and market to our customers as a solution to migrate data virtually. Customers have an average of 50 users.

Our customers use Denodo to connect to multiple sources and in the retail process.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Denodo is very easy to learn and user-friendly. Data is easily exported and can be used in reports and other programs.

What needs improvement?

There have been some issues when you are at a table. Currently, Denodo exports data sets for a tabular model. When you are finished modeling your database or data warehouse they export a link to be used in Tableau. They should support other tools like Power BI.

Denodo has been very stable.

Denodo's customer service and support are very helpful.

We had used ETL tools previously to move data and then export the data.

The initial setup is straightforward and not complex. It can be deployed within two or three hours.

We deploy Denodo with our administration team.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Denodo a 7 out of 10 for what they are offering. I recommend Denodo for use because it is easy to use, even for non-technical people who have some knowledge of data tables including Excel.

WebFocus BI & Datastage Lead at Accenture
    Plenty extraction option, scalable, but large data reduces performance
    • "The most valuable features of Denodo are the extraction option for adapters, and there are many things for the views, that are cached. Denodo is not storing the data, it looks first to tune the query, and these things are for the agents."
    • "Denodo can improve usage management-related aspects. If you deal with the mini views, it gets stuck. The performance is very slow when we go with a large number of views and high volume."

What is our primary use case?

Denodo can be deployed on-premise or in the cloud.

Denodo is used mostly for creating the views and for cache enablement for remote table creations and for pushing the view into the target DBs. The solution can extract data from multiple sources, schedule, create the views, and push them to the target.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Denodo are the extraction option for adapters, and there are many things for the views, that are cached. Denodo is not storing the data, it looks first to tune the query, and these things are for the agents.

What needs improvement?

Denodo can improve usage management-related aspects. If you deal with the mini views, it gets stuck. The performance is very slow when we go with a large number of views and high volume.

In a future release of Denodo, they could add more features, such as remote tables and metadata for views.

I have been using Denodo for approximately two years.

Denodo's stability could improve.

Denodo is scalable.

We have approximately 100 people using this solution in our organization.

The support for Denodo has been good from our internal teams and their support.

We are using the CSD pipeline for the deployment of Denodo.

We have 30 to 40 people for the maintenance of Denodo.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Denodo a seven out of ten.

Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Good data virtualization; access to a great community and helpful information

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this product is for data virtualization and now they have a pilot project for a very small installation, which they might want to extend in the future. We are partners with Denodo and I'm a solutions architect.

What is most valuable?

Denodo has a great community and they provide access to a lot of internet information, forums and meetings of varies kinds.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see integrations with AWS, GCP and the like.

I've been using this solution for nearly six months.

Technical support has helped us set up a pilot project.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud