IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Codename One OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Codename One?
Codename One is a way of creating native mobile applications for Android, iOS, BlackBerry and Windows Phone, using the same Java source code. Android native apps use Java, but iOS, BlackBerry and Windows Phone do not. Codename One makes translations of your Java code into the native code for each of these platforms, sometimes resulting in faster apps than the native versions. Codename One is open source for both commercial and non-commercial usage.
Codename One Customers

Pmovil, Chemetall Italia SRL, BOi Global Group

Archived Codename One Reviews (more than two years old)

Chicken Little at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Uses standard Java, with low rewrite requirement for existing applications.

What is most valuable?

Uses standard Java, with low rewrite requirement for existing applications.

How has it helped my organization?

I ported a couple of large-ish real world Java applications, and maintained a common code base. Future development continues, fully cross platform, on standard desktop Java, Android and iOS.

What needs improvement?

Core Java features are not fully supported (introspection, serialization) and many standard functionalities (windows, events) are implemented in an idiosyncratic way, not standard Java.

Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It has opened opportunities for rapid prototyping and cost-effective cross-platform development

What is most valuable?

A few things that stand out to me are a well-documented and pretty extensive API, build server, access to native functionality via native interface, easy extension with third-party libraries, active developer support, and attractive pricing.

Moreover, CodenameOne offers an iOS wizard for generating the required certificates without a MAC.

How has it helped my organization?

CodenameOne has opened opportunities for rapid prototyping and affordable product development.

What needs improvement?

Windows Phone port. However, that is actively being improved and should be released later this year if all goes well.

More than a year

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Excellent. The team is very accessible and very willing to help.

Excellent. Even for non-paying users, the support provided on the forum is remarkable.

I used MoSync and I switched because the company went bankrupt.

Extremely straightforward. I was pleasantly surprised that it just worked. CodenameOne provides plugins for Eclipse, NetBeans and, IntelliJ IDEs.

No setup cost. I currently have a basic subscription which costs USD 9 per month (prices recently got upgraded to $19, but subscribers like me who already had an account are still allowed to pay the old rate).

I am still evaluating other options to get a better idea of the trade-offs. The options include: Xamarin, Qt, RemObjects, and NativeScript.

What other advice do I have?

Like every other cross-platform technology, know the trade offs before embracing! In the case of CN1, that would be a native look-and-feel that is not 100% identical to pure native apps. That's acceptable in a lot of cases but not always.

And, of course, it's always a plus to have knowledge of the native platforms..

Software Engineer
It's better than some of the available mobile app development frameworks such as Xamarin and Nativescript because it gives almost 100% -- if not 100% -- write once run anywhere.

Valuable Features:

We've found the GUI builder to be the most valuable feature for us.

To the best of my knowledge CN1 is better than some of the available mobile app development frameworks such as Xamarin and Nativescript because it gives almost 100% -- if not 100% -- write once run anywhere. Xamarin doesn't have this feature, you must change few things for some specific platforms. Compared with Nativescript, CN1 is better because of the GUI builder.

Furthermore, CN1 is cost efficient compare with Xamarin and Nativescript. Yes, Nativescript is an open source solution, but to test your app requires to be done either through the telerik platform or with a nativescript CLI simulator. Testing through the telerik platfrom is very easy but not free. Testing through a CLI simulator is free but difficult to setup.

I'm not saying Xamarin and Nativescript are not good framework for mobile app development, please don't misquote me. THEY ARE VERY GOOD. It depends on the ability and interest of the user.

All the aforementioned points are based on my own personal experience with the three frameworks (CN1, Xamarin, and Nativescript).

it_user348060 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user348060Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

Great! I'm also planning to do an evaluation of Qt sometime later this year. Let's keep in touch and share our findings. Cheers