IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Citrix SD-WAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Citrix SD-WAN is #2 ranked solution in top WAN Optimization tools, #6 ranked solution in SD-WAN tools, and #6 ranked solution in top WAN Edge tools. PeerSpot users give Citrix SD-WAN an average rating of 9.4 out of 10. Citrix SD-WAN is most commonly compared to Cisco SD-WAN: Citrix SD-WAN vs Cisco SD-WAN. Citrix SD-WAN is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 30% of all views.

Download the WAN Optimization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Citrix SD-WAN?

Citrix SD-WAN is a software-defined wide area network (SD-WAN), WAN optimization, and WAN edge solution. Citrix SD-WAN is recognized for providing a robust, trustworthy user experience so that an organization's distributed workforce can deliver the best possible outcomes at all times. Organizations can easily deploy solid security protocols wherever needed and also have the option to choose from a diverse choice of security options with unified security service and seamless integration with today’s top next-gen firewalls.

Citrix SD-WAN provides a single cloud-based user dashboard that enables organizations to easily manage their WAN, prioritize and audit applications, and configure security protocols. Citrix SD-WAN enables users to easily manage hybrid multi-cloud processes by improving applications and automating connectivity. Citrix SD-WAN gives organizations tremendous flexibility for deployment from public clouds, data centers, home offices, and branches.

Citrix SD-WAN is the basis of the Citrix consolidated process to SASE (secure access service edge) combined with cloud-delivered security and zero-trust network access to provide organizations with safe, trustworthy, secure access to each and every application anywhere, using any device.

The Citrix SD-WAN solution is made up of three basic components:

• Two software editions.
  • Cloud-hosted (or on-premises) orchestrator for clear visibility and unified protocol management.
  • Appliances: data center, home, branch, physical or virtual.

Citrix SD-WAN Orchestrator

The Citrix SD-WAN Orchestrator can be on premises or cloud-hosted and is a multi-tenant management service offered to Citrix partners and do-it-yourself enterprise organizations. The dashboard delivers a comprehensive view of your organization’s SD-WAN network concerning the functionality and usage of every site. The intuitive dashboard delivers a summary of uptime of the overlay and underlay paths, usage trends, and network-wide alerts.

Available application-centric policies: quality of service (QoS), firewall policies, and application-based traffic steering can all be easily configurable globally or per site.

Reviews from Real Users

“With SD-WAN, they have all the features and benefits they need to send live streaming information to the database and to headquarters without requiring a server at each site. Our other clients have various sites with just one type of communication, say a radio or a mobile network. SD-WAN helps them to combine and get a better bandwidth to balance all their applications and services.” - Business Consultant at a tech services company

“We needed to create some kind of network that was distributed through data and media or big files. It was a retail company, so there were branches, and the branches needed to connect to HQ. We provided HQ and each branch with Citrix SD-WAN. We tried to use it, and it worked well. The transmission was good, and they were losing less data.” - Ruslan M., SMB Sales Director, Regional Business Development Department at Softline

Citrix SD-WAN was previously known as Citrix CloudBridge, WOC, NetScaler SD-WAN.

Citrix SD-WAN Customers

AIDS Healthcare Foundation, Cornerstone Home Lending Inc., Dallara, ecVision, Essar, Eurofred, Groupe Promutuel, HMSHost Corporation, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Ltd, Royal Caribbean International

Citrix SD-WAN Video

Citrix SD-WAN Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Citrix SD-WAN pricing:
  • "The price of the subscription should be cheaper."
  • "The license was a one-time purchase. It's expensive."
  • "It is a bit expensive. A cheaper product would be good, but everybody likes things to be cheaper. We bought the devices up front, and then we pay for the annual support."
  • Citrix SD-WAN Reviews

Business Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Provides a fluid experience, balancing bandwidth to applications or solutions that need prioritizing
    • "It allows you to combine two asymmetrical connections."
    • "The price could be improved, it's an expensive solution."

What is our primary use case?

We offer this solution mainly to retail companies that have many sites and want to connect between them without relying on an MPX or a fiber connection. With SD-WAN, they have all the features and benefits they need to send live streaming information to the database and to headquarters without requiring a server at each site. Our other clients have various sites with just one type of communication, say a radio or a mobile network. SD-WAN helps them to combine and get a better bandwidth to balance all their applications and services. I'm a reseller and I make demos with the product. We are partners with Citrix and our company is based in Ecuador.

What is most valuable?

I like that SD-WAN allows you to combine two asymmetrical connections. Citrix provides more options than other solutions so you can balance the amount of bandwidth to any of your applications or solutions that need prioritizing, in addition to putting a hold on things that might block in a communication cut-off or some other event. It provides a more fluid experience to end-users when they're using their applications or desktops. It's user-friendly and easier to manage especially for those who don't have much knowledge about the minutiae of the product. I think Citrix is better than Cisco's solution.

What needs improvement?

I think the price can be improved, particularly in third world countries such as Ecuador where companies don't have the budget to implement expensive products. Citrix is a very complete solution, but the price is not in line with our market. It would be great if they could come up with a budget product. Cisco provides an inexpensive solution and Citrix could compete with that even if it doesn't have all the features of SD-WAN. I think it would catch on quickly in Latin America.

I've been supplying this solution to our customers for two years.

WAN Optimization
    August 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Citrix, Riverbed, Fortinet and others in WAN Optimization. Updated: August 2022.
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very scalable. One of our clients started out very small and implementing didn't require any more of an investment than they would have had to make with another MPX communication system or a radio system. They worked with what they had, and then implemented more and more solutions and connected them to their headquarters with a good result.

Citrix support is tricky in Ecuador. The people assigned to our region are not very well organized. As a result, we now certify our technicians so they can provide support to our clients. They carry out the updates and any patching and deal with any configuration improvements that can be made. Our clients are very happy with what we provide and give us good reviews. We have clients who have bought Citrix from other companies but they come to us for support.

For a certified user, the setup is very simple. I'm not involved in deployment but they say that it's very easy to implement. It only requires the setting up of some policies and the solution works. We have two engineers who deal with implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest getting to know your core business solutions, knowing which are the important solutions or apps that could be improved in terms of communications, and then just balancing it through SD-WAN with any kind of communication that they already have. It doesn't require a larger budget to put in place various symmetrical communications.

Licensing costs aside, I would rate this solution 10 out of 10.

Founder at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    Includes good documentation, easy to set up, good endpoint monitoring and backup capabilities
    • "The best feature is the backup capability, where all of the users' computers are tied into a central data repository."
    • "Citrix should continue to offer a perpetual licensing model because it is very important to us."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to improve the security of our network.

We also use it to monitor and control the endpoints that we have.

What is most valuable?

The documentation is good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Citrix SD-WAN for eight months.

We have approximately 60 users.

I have not been in contact with technical support. We found that the documentation is adequate and we were able to follow all of the instructions.

We have not used another similar solution in the past.

The installation process is very easy and it does not take long to set up.

We deployed it with our in-house team. We have two software administrators in the team.

We have a perpetual license, which is very important because it allows us to manage our costs, rather than having a monthly or yearly subscription. A yearly license is okay except that we consider software an asset, which means that we need a perpetual license.

The price of the subscription should be cheaper.

I would rather pay three-to-five times more for a perpetual license than pay for a subscription because the lifecycle will be between five and seven years. After seven years, we will try to look for another solution. If Citrix is still top-notch then we would update to the most recent version.

Citrix is a good product so I have not looked at other options.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it. I'm going to continue using it unless something new is offered by a competitor at a cheaper price. I that case, I may switch.

WAN Optimization
    August 2022
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Ruslan Melnikov - PeerSpot reviewer
    SMB Sales Director, Regional Business Development Department at Softline
    MSP
    Provided stable data transmission for a distributed network

What is our primary use case?

Our use case was for a distributed network. We have customers around Russia, and a customer in the Far East had infrastructure with about 5,000 kilometers between each branch. We needed to create some kind of network that was distributed through data and media or big files. The Far East isn't very stable territory, so we had to use a low-level network and create a good result in data transmission.

It was a retail company, so there were branches, and the branches needed to connect to HQ. We provided HQ and each branch with Citrix SD-WAN. We tried to use it, and it worked well. The transmission was good, and they were losing less data.

The solution is deployed on our customers' hardware.

What is most valuable?

The stability is the main feature of Citrix SD-WAN. You can also upgrade the data packages or have less transmission.

What needs improvement?

The price is the only thing that could be improved. Citrix is not a cheap solution.

I have been using this solution for one year.

The solution was stable.

We haven't used the Citrix tech support because we have our own support.

I think the ROI is okay. You have to spend a large amount of money at first, but you could see ROI in 3-5 years. It's a good proposal.

The license was a one-time purchase. It's expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 10 out of 10.

Richard Vivian - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Technology Officer at KOLOK SA
    A reliable solution to help prevent downtime in the event of line failure

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to improve reliability and prevent downtime in the event of a line failure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its reliability.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see support for additional reporting.

I have been using Citrix SD-WAN for four years.

The stability is excellent.

This product is really good in terms of scalability. We have about 300 people who are benefiting from it, spread out over several branches. Our users do not directly interact with it, although it provides backend support for them.

At this point, we do not expect to increase our usage.

We have been in touch with technical support in the past and Citrix has provided very good support whenever we've needed it.

We did not use another similar solution prior to this one.

The initial setup was really straightforward. Our deployment took place over about six months, deploying to one branch at a time.

We used a third-party integrator for implementation and deployment.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a very good product and one that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Richard Vivian - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Technology Officer at KOLOK SA
    A stable solution for reliable connectivity

What is our primary use case?

It is used to get connectivity between our branches. In terms of the version, we are using version 10.1, and we have different SD-WAN devices.

What is most valuable?

The reliability of connectivity is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I am happy with this product. If anything, its price can be reduced. It is a bit expensive.

I have been using this solution for about six years.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. We've got about 250 users in the company. We don't have any plans to increase its usage.

They have been okay to work with. I am satisfied with their support.

We didn't use any other solution previously.

I don't know about the setup. I had a consultant set it up for me. For its deployment and maintenance, we just have one person.

We bought the devices up front, and then we pay for the annual support.

What other advice do I have?

It is not a cheap product but it serves. I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Download our free WAN Optimization Report and find out what your peers are saying about Citrix, Riverbed, Fortinet, and more!
    Updated: August 2022