IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Senior Information Security Analyst at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Useful access controls, reliable, and good support
  • "I have found the most valuable feature to be the access control and IPsec VPN."
  • "When comparing the graphical interface of this solution to other vendors it is more difficult to configure. There is a higher learning curve for administrators in this solution."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution for monitoring incoming and outgoing network traffic. This includes many types of traffic, such as VPN users.

What is most valuable?

I have found the most valuable feature to be the access control and IPsec VPN. There are a lot of people moving towards the next-generation versions of firewalls which have some advanced features such as this one. You can define rules based on the application instead of how they are traditionally are done. There are more general and traffic controls, and additional features for intrusion prevention for malware analysis.

What needs improvement?

When comparing the graphical interface of this solution to other vendors it is more difficult to configure. There is a higher learning curve for administrators in this solution. A lot of vendors, such as Palo Alto, are going toward cloud-based systems and Cisco should follow.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.
Cisco ASA Firewall
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Cisco ASA Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable.

Since this is a hardware solution it does not scale as well as cloud versions. We have approximately 20,000 people using this solution in my organization.

The support of this solution is very good.

We have security specialists to manage the solution.

I have previously used FortiGate and Palo Alto solutions. When comparing them to this solution they have more standard features in their normal firewall this one does not.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement the solution is to look at their use case and see if it meets those requirements for what they are looking for. There are a lot of security features that people may not be aware of and do not use. Explore the solution and all its features which will help you understand the configurations. I rate Cisco ASA Firewall an eight out of ten.

Shrijendra Shakya - PeerSpot reviewer
C.T.O at Sastra Network Solution Inc. Pvt. Ltd.
Reliable and easy to use with good security features
  • "It is very stable compared to other firewall products."
  • "They need a user-friendly interface that we could easily configure."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Cisco ASAv in our company and have deployed it for many of our customers. They are in both government and the private sector.

The deployment method varies depending on the customer's needs. For the government, it's through the government cloud while others are on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable compared to other firewall products.

It has good security features.

The firewall features make it easy for the users to work on it.

What needs improvement?

The interface needs improvement. I would like a better interface for Cisco. Other solutions such as Palo Alto have a user-friendly dashboard.

They need a user-friendly interface that we could easily configure.

It would be beneficial to have some of the features that Cisco has, integrating with other types of security.

I have been using this solution for approximately eight years.

It's a very stable solution out of the box and we have not had any issues in our deployment.

We have 86% of the devices being used simultaneously.

It's scalable based on the type of license and modules that you require.

We don't have the option to update the box, but we can add features such as antivirus protection.

We have contacted technical support for some issues outside our technical expertise, mostly for updating the license.

We have a team that handles our issues.

We work on a case-by-case basis and are have good offers by Cisco.

It's very competitive with other products.

What other advice do I have?

They should incorporate it with FortiGate, or Sophos firewalls.

If they are looking for a layer 7 type of security then they need to go with another solution.

I would rate Cisco ASAv a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Cisco ASA Firewall
July 2022
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Johan Derycke - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Security Engineer at Smals vzw
Affordable, scalable, and suitable for a big traffic load
  • "The whole firewall functionality, including firewall policies and IPS policies, is valuable. It has all kinds of functionalities. It has IPS, VPN, and other features. They are doing quite a lot of stuff with their devices."
  • "It lacks management. For me, it still doesn't have a proper management tool or GUI for configuration, logging, and visualization. Its management is not that easy. It is also not very flexible and easy to configure. They used to have a product called CSM, but it is no longer being developed. FortiGate is better than this solution in terms of GUI, flexibility, and user-friendliness."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to manage our environment.

What is most valuable?

The whole firewall functionality, including firewall policies and IPS policies, is valuable. It has all kinds of functionalities. It has IPS, VPN, and other features. They are doing quite a lot of stuff with their devices.

What needs improvement?

It lacks management. For me, it still doesn't have a proper management tool or GUI for configuration, logging, and visualization. Its management is not that easy. It is also not very flexible and easy to configure. They used to have a product called CSM, but it is no longer being developed. FortiGate is better than this solution in terms of GUI, flexibility, and user-friendliness.

I have been using this solution for five to ten years.

It is rather stable. It can have some peculiarities, but most of the time, it is quite stable.

These are big devices. They have multiple models, but most of the models can be virtualized. You can create many virtual firewalls and add whatever you want.

We faced some issues, but I don't deal with these issues. My colleague interacts with them, and it seems it is not that easy. Cisco is a large company, and sometimes, it is not easy to get quick and very efficient support.

We have a firewall specialist who handles the installation.

It is affordable. The hardware is not that expensive anymore. It is a matter of licensing these days.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution for a big traffic load, but its management is not very easy. FortiGate is better in terms of management and user-friendliness.

I would rate Cisco ASA Firewall an eight out of ten.

Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Flexible solution and can be easily integrated with your network hardware
  • "I have found the stability of this solution really good. This is why I use it."
  • "Comparing Cisco solution to others, it is expensive, it would be better for it to be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

I am doing research on the product and testing it for security.

What is most valuable?

It is a flexible solution and can be easily integrated with your network hardware. It is a very useful product. This product is very popular in the industry and the network security environment is good.

What needs improvement?

It would be a benefit to improve the integration with other similar products from other vendors on the market, for example, Huawei or Fortinet products. Comparing Cisco solution to others, it is expensive, it would be better for it to be cheaper.

I have been using the solution for three to four years.

I have found the stability of this solution really good, this is why I use it.

The product is scalable.

The customer service is really helpful, they do their part in keeping our organization's network from outside intrusion.

I have used other solutions in the past, such as Cisco Firepower. I find Cisco products to be superior.

The solution is normally easy to install but if the user has more requirements, as in a more complicated setup, it could take more time.

I did the deployment myself.

The product is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. I suggest this solution to my colleagues because it is a great product and is really stable. When looking at other products in use in other companies this product is superior.

I rate Cisco ASA Firewall ten out of ten.

Senior Network Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The VPN solution works much better than our previous solutions

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for border firewalls, VPN access, and site-to-site VPN tunnels.

It is deployed at a single location with about 2,500 users.

What is most valuable?

So far, the remote VPN access has been a perfect solution for our company.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is a little clunky and difficult to work with. Some things aren't as easy as they should be.

I have been using it for five years.

So far, it has been very stable.

It does require maintenance. There is a team of two who manage it.

We haven't scaled it much at this point.

The technical support has been good so far. I would rate them as eight out of 10.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The VPN solution works much better than our previous solutions.

We previously used Palo Alto. The switch was driven by Cisco's pitch.

It was fairly straightforward. We stood it up side by side with our nesting firewalls. We did some testing during an outage window, then migrated it over.

We used a partner, CDW, to help us with the deployment. Our experience with CDW was good.

Internally, it was just me for the deployment.

The pricing seems fair. It is above average.

What other advice do I have?

Take the time to really learn it, then it becomes a lot easier to use.

I would rate the solution as eight out of 10.

Juan Carlos Saavedra - PeerSpot reviewer
Coordinador de Tecnología at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Provides us visibility and information about our Internet usage. However, it is complex to operate the solution.
  • "The most valuable feature is the anti-malware protection. It protects the endpoints on my network."
  • "The ease of use needs improvement. It is complex to operate the solution. The user interface is not friendly."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is as edge firewalls to the Internet.

We are only on-premise. There is still no cloud plan.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides visibility and information to the organization about what is being accessed on the Internet as well as the applications that it is protecting.

It is part of our security strategy.

What is most valuable?

• Anti-malware protection
  • Web Filtering
  • VPN Remote-Access

We use the application visibility and control feature of Cisco firewalls.

What needs improvement?

The ease of use needs improvement. It is complex to operate the solution. The user interface is not friendly.

I have been using it for eight to 10 years.

We have 200 users using this solution.

The technical support is good, but it could be better. I would rate them as six out of 10.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The setup is not too complex. We implemented it on all our ports.

We have five people on our cybersecurity team.

The solution's ability to provide visibility into threats is fine, but the Fortinet and Check Point solutions have better dashboards and information about visibility.

What other advice do I have?

We are also using Cisco AnyConnect, Umbrella (as a cloud proxy), and ISE. We have between five or six antivirus, proxy, anti-malware, data loss prevention, VPN client, and firewall tools.

I would rate this Cisco product as six out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner & Reseller
ICT Systems Engineer at a insurance company with 11-50 employees
Pretty stable, but it needs better reporting tools and improvements to the user interface
  • "This product is pretty stable."
  • "I would like the ability to drill down into certain reports because currently, that cannot be done."

What is our primary use case?

The number one use for this product is security.

What needs improvement?

The management of the application can be improved with enhancements to the user interface.

I would like the ability to drill down into certain reports because currently, that cannot be done. In fact, this is one of the reasons that we want to move away from Cisco. Better reporting tools would be an improvement.

We have been using Cisco ASA for approximately seven years.

This product is pretty stable.

Our current model is reaching its end of life, so it's not very scalable at the moment. We don't plan to increase usage.

It is currently providing protection for about 30 users.

The technical support is with our solution provider. I would say that it's average, rather than very good.

The initial setup is complex. I would say that it took a maximum of a week to deploy.

We had a service provider who took care of the installation for us.

This is an expensive product. We pay about €2,000 ($2,400 USD) per year for licensing.

Technical support is in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, Cisco ASA is not a product that I recommend. My advice is that people should look at other solutions because there are other products available on the market that are just as good, if not even better.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Vincent Mulama - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Administrator\Ag. IT Manager at a construction company with 201-500 employees
It secures my network and is very stable
  • "It is a very stable product. I've not had any issues with it. It is a super product, and I won't need to change it anytime soon."
  • "Its configuration through GUI as well as CLI can be improved and made easier."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Cisco ASA as my firewall. I use it for security purposes to block access and for VPN. It is on the perimeter, so basically, it secures my network.

What is most valuable?

It is a very stable product. I've not had any issues with it. It is a super product, and I won't need to change it anytime soon.

What needs improvement?

Its configuration through GUI as well as CLI can be improved and made easier.

I have been using this solution for more than five years. I am using the Cisco ASA 5505 model.

It is very stable.

I manage it myself. If I can't, then I get somebody else. I don't have any support from Cisco.

The initial setup was slow. It took a day or two.

Unfortunately, there were not too many skilled guys who could install it. I had to get a third party for installation and configuration. I had to get somebody qualified in Cisco Security, and he was the only person who could actually configure it well.

I just bought it off the shelf, and I'm using it with my previous one, so I have not spent that much.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. You just have to learn how to configure it. It is a Cisco solution, and there is not much to be improved. I plan to keep using it and expand its usage.

I would rate Cisco ASA Firewall an eight out of ten.

Download our free Cisco ASA Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022