CA IDMS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

CA IDMS is the #15 ranked solution in top Database Development and Management tools. PeerSpot users give CA IDMS an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. CA IDMS is most commonly compared to IBM IMS: CA IDMS vs IBM IMS. CA IDMS is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is CA IDMS?
CA IDMS is a reliable, high-performance, web-enabled Database Management system (DBMS) for IBM z Systems that provides business value for hundreds of enterprises and government organizations. CA IDMS provides high-performance database management and transaction processing performance for existing and new workloads, helping you consolidate business functions on a central data repository, as needed.

CA IDMS was previously known as IDMS.

CA IDMS Customers
Blue Hill Data Services Inc.
CA IDMS Video

Archived CA IDMS Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user558615 - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Consultant at BT
  • "It is a really stable platform. It has been around for many years. We trust it implicitly. ​"
  • "Technical support is very good. They are very knowledgeable, very quick to respond, and very nice people, too.​"
  • "​I would like to see it made simpler to operate and maintain."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is a customer service system, which records all the customer details, and follows through customer orders for British Telecom.

It's performed on a mainframe system, and it is performed by various means. The database management system called IDMS is actually just the database management system under the covers. The application that runs on that is been in-house written for many years, and is very stable.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been in the company for 30 years. It basically provides a stable platform for all the customer centric information to be stored and processed, in a reliable fashion.

What is most valuable?

• Reliability - It continues to work with a large OLTP workload that we need
  • Stability - It still runs applications that were developed over 30 years ago and also runs modern applications accessing using modern techniques
  • Performance - Handles OLTP transactions very snappily.
  • Modernization - has the capabilities necessary for us to carry into the future with modern development techniques and access methodology

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it made simpler to operate and maintain. I am a database administrator with many years of experience, but there are quite a few people who have not had the same experience. They would appreciate and benefit from a simplification and if it was made easier to use and maintain.

Database Development and Management
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, BMC, SAP and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: November 2022.
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

More than five years.

Stability is perfect! It is a really stable platform. It has been around for many years. We trust it implicitly.

It is perfectly scalable on the mainframe platform. If we get a bigger or a smaller mainframe, it is scalable perfectly on that basis.

Initial setup was 30 years ago. I only started working on it about 25 years ago.

What other advice do I have?

Explore the use and the performance of the system using the SQL option, as technical advice. In terms of stability advice, I would say call on the support of CA for the installation and setup of the product. Also, do not hold back on asking questions about the maintenance and continued support of the product.

it_user558606 - PeerSpot reviewer
Application Development Manager at Aetna
We get network database performance. It supports our back office.

What is most valuable?

It's a stable platform. We've used it for many years as part of the legacy applications going back to early 80s. We get network database performance. We're able to scale it up. It's effective.

We've been able to fine tune it over the years to get really good performance out of it, and maintain some database network support.

How has it helped my organization?

We've had it in place for so long that it's actually part of the processes now. We have not built anything new in it, per se, over the last ten years.

It supports our back office. The systems that CA IDMS supports includes back offices; so they've been very effective at claim, health care, inquiries, support, transaction support, all the processes that we do behind the scenes. It's the engine that's running our accounting areas for claims processing.

What needs improvement?

I don't have anything to add. I've heard about web services. We might be looking at a Java connection or web services in the future. It's serving our purpose right now. We're not looking for anything new.

For what we do, it meets all our needs. We have to use DB2 when we need more relational constructs, expanded inquiry and reporting; so it's not perfect in that regards.

We use it really for our transaction processing, not as much for reporting. For transaction processing, it's doing the job we need. To go into more in-depth, high-volume reporting, we offload a lot of the data to DB2.

We've had no issues with scalability. We've been able to put whatever we need in it. We've grown the system over the years.

I don't support the platform, so I'm really not in a position to rate technical support. Our platform guys do that.

I go to some of the classes. I know what's going on, but I haven't had to specifically send a problem to technical support, or anything like that, and have them work on it.

These were legacy systems that were converted from old tape-to-tape batch systems; new online systems that were built 25-35 years ago. That was somebody, not me, who made the decision that we were going to go with IDMS way back when, and we've used it since.

I was involved in the initial setup back in the 80s. It was all new in the 80s, so there was a learning curve but once we got over the learning curve, it's been very easy to bring people in and out of. You did have to learn back then. Even our new folks that come on today, you have to teach them. It's middle of the road, I guess.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, support is important for the people that support the platforms; and the stability of the platform is important.

If a colleague at another company who was looking at IDMS as a brand new installation, I’d say take classes at Framingham, join the IUA. Talk to peers who use IDMS. See how it would fit. It's a legacy product, so it's out there for things that have been in place for 20-30 years.

Database Development and Management
November 2022
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user558612 - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
We've been running it for many years. It's reliable and stable.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance of the database. It's very good because it's a network database management system. It's very efficient at what it does and it's quite reliable as well. It provides us with a very stable platform. We've been running it for many years.

How has it helped my organization?

Thirty years ago we developed our main customer service system, a database management system, using IDMS and we're still running it to this day. We've migrated some tasks off it, but we're still running a lot of the business on it. We're running it because it's legacy. We wouldn't choose it if we were picking it today because the skills are quite difficult to acquire. But it's still reliable at what it does.

What needs improvement?

We need to make it much easier to support and maintain, because the skills required are quite specialized and we're not going to have people in the future who've got the necessary experience and knowledge. So that's something that really needs to be addressed; it needs to be simplified.

For example, at the moment, to reorganize the database to increase the size is a very time consuming process. You need to know exactly what you're doing. We would like to be able to automate tasks like this so that anybody can pick it up and do it without having years of experience.

Yeah. Over the years, it's got better and better and now it's a pretty reliable platform.

It has limitations in scalability, but it meets our needs. If you wanted to scale the database larger, there are limitations to the size of the database. Our current database is about 13 TBs, and going much bigger than that could cause issues.

Technical support is very good, very good. We have a very good relationship with the CA development staff for IDMS. We worked with them quite close during the beta test program, developing the product.

I was not part of the initial setup team thirty years ago. I've been working for the company for forty years, but I wasn't involved.

Because our application is so big and we bought into the company, it's just been very difficult to move over the years so really we're locked in. Technically, the performance is good and the reliability is good so we're not being pressured to move off it.

What other advice do I have?

It's not something we would chose to put new work on these days because there are much more modern solutions out there that are far easier to manage.

I don't think anybody would be actively developing anything new on IDMS these days, but if they've got it then it's worth sticking with it.

it_user558615 - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Consultant at BT
The solution is the community; a tightly knit group of experts working on the product set for many years.

What is most valuable?

The solution is the community - a tightly knit group of experts who have been working on the product set for many years. The user community is really useful, really helpful, and it makes everyone feel all part of the same world; that we're all going to help each other. They know its benefits of speed, effectiveness, reliability, and scalability.

Our organization is the IDMS community, so we only exist because the product exists. I can advocate for IDMS until the cows come home; until the sun sets on Las Vegas.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see some of the installation, maintenance, and support functions simplified so that some of our younger, newer members can take advantage of the product and maintain it to the same standard that the older members have in the past.

The stability of IDMS is second to none. Any problems we have are quickly fixed, and the main thing it does is look after the data that it holds. It is really reliable because that's what most businesses and most of our users rely on. It must keep its oath.

It scales from quite large to absolutely enormous. We have representatives from the users of some of the biggest databases in the world that run our mainframe. Scalability is second to none in my opinion.

Technical support was excellent.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say engage with your vendor. Make sure that the solution that you're choosing has a good support community, both inside the organization, and with a self-supporting community outside the organization.

Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, BMC, SAP, and more!
Updated: November 2022