Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Brocade Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Brocade Ethernet Switches is #16 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give Brocade Ethernet Switches an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Brocade Ethernet Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: Brocade Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches. Brocade Ethernet Switches is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 17% of all views.

Download the Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Brocade Ethernet Switches?
From the world's first Ethernet fabric technology, to an open controller that eliminates vendor lock-in, to a switch stack that you can distribute throughout your campus, Brocade Ethernet Switches give you choices. Whether that means functionality, vendors, or even locations beyond the wiring closet, every option is secure, economical, and easily manageable.
Brocade Ethernet Switches Customers
Ajubeo, Akquinet AG, Big Data Analytics Provider Boligkontoret Danmark Bristol is Open, CDE Lightband, Cicero School District 99, City and County of San Francisco, Department of Emergency, City of Chattanooga, Cloudscale.sh

Archived Brocade Ethernet Switches Reviews (more than two years old)

Senior Systems Security Specialist at a government with 51-200 employees
Provides good integration with HP solutions and ease of administration with smart zoning
  • "It has good integration with HPE Primera. They have smart zoning in which the administration is very easy. You don't have to do anything. Zoning and other things are done automatically if you just enable the smart zoning. That's one very good thing in HP."
  • "It should be simpler. There are still some things that can be simpler in the Brocade switches."

What is our primary use case?

It's actually a DC device. We are using storage in DC as well as in DR. Because we are a government organization, everything is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It has good integration with HPE Primera. They have smart zoning in which the administration is very easy. You don't have to do anything. Zoning and other things are done automatically if you just enable the smart zoning. That's one very good thing in HP.

What needs improvement?

It should be simpler. There are still some things that can be simpler in the Brocade switches.

We have been using this solution for eight months.

September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Cisco, Juniper and others in Ethernet Switches. Updated: September 2022.
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We haven't faced any issues with stability and scalability.

We haven't contacted technical support. We didn't require any support from the technical side.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was not that complex. It's a one-day job for both DC and DR.

What other advice do I have?

I am okay with Cisco MDS switches as well as Brocade switches. I have also used Brocade switch in the old days when it was Dell EMC Clariion.

I would recommend Brocade Ethernet Switches for using with HP solutions. I don't know how they work with other storage solutions. We are using this solution with HPE Primera, and it's working fine. It's very good.

System Infrastructure Engineer at a university
Secure access to storage data; lacks a graphical interface
  • "There's a zone for each server and services in the storage."
  • "No graphical interface."

What is our primary use case?

I work as a system infrastructure engineer and our company is a customer of Brocade.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features of this solution is that it works with the concept of zoning. There's a zone for each server and there are services in the storage. When the link of a full port is failing, it automatically switches to another port so you don't lose the connection. That's pretty important for the high level of availability of the applications and the access to the storage data.

What needs improvement?

There are other solutions that are free and that enable you to check the access of the ports and the IU stats also. In this solution there isn't one for the switch that allows for checking the stats, the health of the ports and all the data that exist in the switch. It's just like CLI commands. This solution doesn't have a graphical interface and that's an issue.

As mentioned, a graphical interface should be included in any new release - it would increase options.

I've been using this solution for almost a year.

This is a very stable solution.

It's a scalable solution. You can use two switches as one, single switch in the fabric. You can add two and possibly three switches, so they can use it as if it was one switch.

I've had some contact with technical support relating to hardware failures, nothing serious and it didn't affect the production. I was satisfied with the support they provided. They were good.

What other advice do I have?

For storage it's a good solution, especially if you're working with e-paying solutions.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

September 2022
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Data Center Admin at Paltel
The technical support is good and the setup and installation is straightforward

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for ethernet switches.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature of this solution is the performance because we have many switches and we have a performance for Brocade Ethernet Switches that needs about 16 gigabyte per second. We have accessed these 16 gigabyte per second.

What needs improvement?

There are some performance issues that I would like to see improved.

I have been using the solution for four to five years.

We have many users on Brocade Ethernet Switches that use it for storages on the application.

The technical support is good. You just send them an email or open a ticket on the website, and then they will look at the issue.

The initial setup was easy and the configuration was straightforward. We used a consultant at first, but after that we figured the rest out ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I am supporting NVMe technology and it's a new technology, so I often struggle with performance issues. That is why I will rate this solution a nine out of ten only, and not a ten out of ten.

Senior SAN Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has all the features I need and it is stable and scalable

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is connecting hosts to do some storages.

What is most valuable?

The solution works very well. It is a very good product and they have a network advisor that collects the information so that you can manage all the sound switches from one place, and also get the ports.

I have been using this solution since 2004.

The solution is stable and we haven't had any issues.

I believe it is easy to expand this platform. We get by with a switch with 24 ports active and then one can buy the other 96 fields, for instance. But we don't use directors, we use only switches. Directors are for the bigger networks. We have no other users on this platform. We connect to a new storage to the sound switch and new servers.

We haven't used the technical support yet.

The initial setup was really straightforward and easy.

What other advice do I have?

I have been using this solution for a long time and kept with it, because everything I need, is covered by it. I am happy with its performance and its features. I will rate it a nine out of ten.

Other
Infrastructure Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
CLI and supported technologies are very close to Cisco. The hardware needs to be more reliable.

Valuable Features:

CLI and supported technologies are very close to Cisco. The support from vendor team is great!

Improvements to My Organization:

Lowered our network budget.

Room for Improvement:

Technically the product is always improving the software part, but the hardware needs to be more reliable. I faced some issues with Power Supply only.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Tech Support Staff at a tech company with 51-200 employees
If you are looking for more than scalability, performance and security than most switches offer, then Brocade ethernet switches are what you need.

Valuable Features:

The switches are very flexible and easy to deploy and manage. They are energy-saving and help to effectively reduce costs. Brocade switches perform at great speeds, protect the topology using root guard, and can handle redundancy and failovers automatically.Brocade’s HyperEdge is a master switch that is dedicated to manage the other switches in the stack. It allows for easy installations and replacements and is compatible with models from other vendors.ICX, ICX 6430 and ICX 6450 are brocade switches that support MACsec protocol that encrypts traffic and authenticates peers in the Ethernet for security.

Room for Improvement:

You need skills and knowledge to configure brocade switches. Equipment used by customers must be compatible with the brocade model used.

Other Advice:

Brocade Ethernet switches are used to connect several computers together using wire cables to form a network. Brocade Ethernet switches can support business service, residential triple-plays, and backhaul mobile applications. They are manufactured by Brocade communications systems and come in different models with 12 or more interfaces and expansion slots. I have used brocade 6910 switch that uses gigabit and fast Ethernet, for three and a half years now.
Download our free Ethernet Switches Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Cisco, Juniper, and more!
Updated: September 2022