Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Brocade Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Brocade Ethernet Switches is #16 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give Brocade Ethernet Switches an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Brocade Ethernet Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: Brocade Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches. Brocade Ethernet Switches is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 17% of all views.

Download the Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Brocade Ethernet Switches?
From the world's first Ethernet fabric technology, to an open controller that eliminates vendor lock-in, to a switch stack that you can distribute throughout your campus, Brocade Ethernet Switches give you choices. Whether that means functionality, vendors, or even locations beyond the wiring closet, every option is secure, economical, and easily manageable.
Brocade Ethernet Switches Customers
Ajubeo, Akquinet AG, Big Data Analytics Provider Boligkontoret Danmark Bristol is Open, CDE Lightband, Cicero School District 99, City and County of San Francisco, Department of Emergency, City of Chattanooga, Cloudscale.sh

Brocade Ethernet Switches Reviews

IT Director at Autoridad de Edificios Publicos
This solution has been up and running for over ten years without any fail
  • "The reliability of Brocade is the most valuable feature. The solution has been up and running for over ten years without any fail, fixes required, or breakdowns. It is a very strong piece of equipment."
  • "Brocade Ethernet Switches need a better interface and centralized management."

What is our primary use case?

Our organization has almost all of the financial institutions in Puerto Rico connected simultaneously to our system. We have a firewall first, and then the Brocade system.

All of our switches are layer three, Ethernet solutions, and fiber optic uplink. One of the switches I was using as a mediator between our on-premises solution and DNC. Brocade was the one mediator along with Fortinet.

There are approximately 500 users of the solution inside our organization in different roles and 1500 individuals outside connecting. Brocade requires two engineers, one from our site and one from the vendor's site, to deploy and maintain the solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We rely on this solution. Our company provides financial aid to people living in Puerto Rico, and we have been doing this for over ten years, with over five billion dollars in sales. We have been going through these switches with no hacking, breakdown, or any issue with the switches whatsoever. They helped improve our performance.

What is most valuable?

The reliability of Brocade is the most valuable feature. The solution has been up and running for over ten years without any fail, fixes required, or breakdowns. It is a very strong piece of equipment.

Brocade provides me with the confidence I need.

What needs improvement?

Brocade Ethernet Switches need a better interface and centralized management.

September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Cisco, Juniper and others in Ethernet Switches. Updated: September 2022.
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have using Brocade Ethernet Switches for ten years.

Brocade is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

The support out of Puerto Rico is very good. I tried to continue with the support as long as it was available.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Prior to Brocade, I used a Cisco system. We switched because the cost of Cisco at the time was too high.

The initial setup of the solution was of medium difficulty. It was not out of the box. It required two to three weeks to implement.

Our implementation strategy involved looking at the physical configuration and giving them to an implementation partner. The partner simulated prior to the installation. This included all the programming in the Brocade system. It was a test environment, to test different scenarios.

Once the tests were okay, we went floor by floor changing the switches.

What other advice do I have?

Prior to selecting Brocade Ethernet Switches, I recommend that you compare it with other solutions. There are great solutions in the market. Evaluate costs, reliability, and scalability, because once you choose a solution, they will be your partner for the next six to ten years.

I would rate Brocade Ethernet Switches an eight out of ten.

Ahmed Hawana - PeerSpot reviewer
Network and Security Engineer at IDSC
Easy to set up with good performance and excellent longevity
  • "The switches last for a very long time."
  • "The solution could be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

I'm primarily using the solution as black and gray switches. I'm not using them as a configured switch. We are using it to extend some networks.

Our old Brocade switches are used for extending our network and are especially used as an extension for urgent matters.

What is most valuable?

The switches last for a very long time.

It's stable for doing its functions, as a black and gray switch. It's a very good switch, at least the older ones. I've been using them for ten years and they are still in use.

The solution is scalable.

We have found the solution to be easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more secure. However, we use quite old versions.

I've used the solution for ten years. It's been a long time since I first began using the product.

The solution is very stable. These switches have lasted a long time and in that sense their performance is good. I cannot speak to the newer switches.

The product can scale quite well. A company can expand the product as needed.

In terms of how many users are on the solution, it's hard to count. We have a mix of various switches that we use at any given time, including these and Cisco. Likely, 100 people are connected at any given time.

I've never used the solution's technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they would be.

We also use Cisco at this point as well. Those switches are a bit newer.

It is very easy to set up the switches. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation.

It doesn't take any time for switches to be installed and configured. It's very quick.

You need to have two technical people to maintain the product.

I don't directly deal with the costs or licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We are not using the latest version of the solution. These are old switches. Very old ones from ten years ago.

If I was going to recommend any switches, I would recommend Cisco. This is due to the fact that I don't deal with modern switches from Brocade. That said, from how well the older switches have worked for me, I'd recommend the solution ten out of ten.

September 2022
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Gurunathan S - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager - IT Infra at Tatasky Broadband
Stable, straightforward to set up, and suitable for LAN and SAN purposes

What is our primary use case?

We use Brocade switches for our LAN and for our SAN.

What needs improvement?

These switches are no longer supported.

We have been using Brocade Ethernet Switches for five years.

I have not had any issues with our Brocade switches.

The initial setup was okay.

At the time we choose Brocade, we had evaluated switches by Cisco and Extreme Networks as well. We felt that Brocade was the best at that time.

What other advice do I have?

The VDX line of Brocade switches has been acquired by Extreme Networks and the ICX line has moved to another vendor.

Download our free Ethernet Switches Report and find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, Cisco, Juniper, and more!
Updated: September 2022