Axway AMPLIFY Managed File Transfer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Axway AMPLIFY Managed File Transfer is the #11 ranked solution in top Managed File Transfer (MFT) tools. PeerSpot users give Axway AMPLIFY Managed File Transfer an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Axway AMPLIFY Managed File Transfer is most commonly compared to AWS Transfer for SFTP: Axway AMPLIFY Managed File Transfer vs AWS Transfer for SFTP. Axway AMPLIFY Managed File Transfer is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Managed File Transfer (MFT) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Axway AMPLIFY Managed File Transfer?
As a multi-protocol MFT gateway, Axway SecureTransport provides the flexibility you need to support virtually any MFT use case. Secure, manage, and track file flows among people and applications inside your enterprise, and beyond your firewall to your user communities, mobile devices, and the cloud. Perform high-volume automated file transfers between systems, sites, lines of business and external partners, to user-driven communications and mobile, folder- and portal-based file sharing.

Axway AMPLIFY Managed File Transfer was previously known as SecureTransport, Axway SecureTransport, AMPLIFY Managed File Transfer, AMPLIFY MFT.

Axway AMPLIFY Managed File Transfer Customers
BNP Paribas Securities Services, Bollor_, E.ON AG Group, BMW Group, IdenTrust, Gassco, International Post Corporation, SNCF, DB Schenker Logistics, Logius, CSCA, La Poste
Axway AMPLIFY Managed File Transfer Video

Axway AMPLIFY Managed File Transfer Reviews

Application Development Senior Analyst at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
The solution consolidated all of our communications into one platform, simplifying network and port management
  • "Axway consolidated all of our communications into one platform, simplifying network and port management. Now, all we have to do is open one port to this application, and we can remove all the firewall rules on that port. It's much more straightforward to manage from a security perspective. We used to rely on an archaic FTP solution, but Axway features SFTP, so it was an improvement security-wise."
  • "One area of improvement is troubleshooting. When a transfer fails, they provide little information about the login, which makes troubleshooting difficult. Also, file transfer scheduling is primitive. By that, I mean you can't define a complex schedule, like scheduling a job to run at particular hours multiple times in a day."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy Axway Amplify to a server hosted on AWS, but it isn't a cloud SaaS solution. We use it for large-scale file transfers. Our client had multiple vendors with whom they exchanged payroll and shipment-related files. We use Amplify externally to exchange files with vendors and internally on our 500 servers, which talk to each other using the files. All the file transfers transfer for that client went through this application, including the encryption, file check, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

Before implementing Axway, we were doing script-based point-to-point file transfers using a shell script. That means if a file has to go from server A to server B, we have to open a network port within those two servers. It got kind of messy as the number of servers and the file transfer requirements grew.

Axway consolidated all of our communications into one platform, simplifying network and port management. Now, all we have to do is open one port to this application, and we can remove all the firewall rules on that port. It's much more straightforward to manage from a security perspective. We used to rely on an archaic FTP solution, but Axway features SFTP, so it was an improvement security-wise.

What is most valuable?

Deploying certificates and encryption-decryption are effortless with Axway. It features a single pane of glass view, where you can view all the file transfers going on inside your organization.

What needs improvement?

One area of improvement is troubleshooting. When a transfer fails, they provide little information about the login, which makes troubleshooting difficult. Also, file transfer scheduling is primitive. By that, I mean you can't define a complex schedule, like scheduling a job to run at particular hours multiple times in a day.

Also, Axway Amplify doesn't have built-in analytics, so you need to use another product for that. It would be helpful if they could do some basic analytics, like statistics for a 24-hour period. I'd like to see something simple that shows how many file transfers came in and went out from the environment, and how many failed.

I would also like to see Axway implement online patch management. We have to take the application completely offline to apply the patch and then restart. Other applications support online patch management, so I would appreciate it if they could do something similar. Of course, a restart would still be required, but online patch management could significantly reduce our downtime.

Managed File Transfer (MFT)
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Axway, IBM, Progress Software and others in Managed File Transfer (MFT). Updated: November 2022.
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have three years of experience with Axway Amplify, but I switched roles about two months ago, so I no longer use it.

Axway is stable up to a certain point, but when the number of file transfers multiplies, the application sometimes crashes. You have to do thorough capacity planning if you are adding more and more file transfers to the platform.

Let's say we have 500,000 transfers, and everything is smooth. We'll start to see problems if the number of transfers surges to one million in a day. We had to do lots of capacity building to avoid this, like server provisioning and increasing the CPUs and memory. Your infrastructure needs to keep up with your file transfer growth.

We had a two-node cluster, and you can do a three-node cluster easily, but I don't think they support more than three nodes. There are some limitations, but we could handle a million transfers a day just fine with two nodes. We have around 50 users logged into Axway daily checking the transfers and related stuff.

Axway technical support is great. I would probably give them an eight or nine out of 10. My only problem is that they don't provide enough support on the weekend. Everything else is good apart from that.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Setting up Axway Amplify is straightforward. First, we set up a two-node cluster, and it took us around a couple of days to deploy the application after that. Including the server build and all the network configuration, it took about three weeks total. Then it took another week to get it into production.

Axway provided support during our deployment. One support engineer was assigned to our account for around four weeks during our production deployment.

In the past, we needed multiple IT personnel to set up the file transfers. Now we have a three-person team handling all file transfer requests for the entire organization. That's a massive return on investment. We used to have 20 to 30 people doing that stuff, but that has been reduced to only three or four.

I don't know the exact cost of the Amplify license, but the support agreement costs around $30,000 annual.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Axway Amplify nine out of 10 because it's easy to deploy, use, and create jobs. Job creation is straightforward. It doesn't take long to set up a job, and you can quickly get on with it. You can get started with production within a week after deploying.

If you're implementing Amplify, I recommend thorough capacity planning before deploying. If you don't have that many transfers, you are probably fine, but you need to be mindful of growth in transfers. As our systems become increasingly complex, we see more and more transfers happening. If you're starting multiple new projects, the number of transfers will increase by 20 to 30 percent. You have to pay attention to resource utilization and do capacity planning.

Eddy Koers - PeerSpot reviewer
ICT - Operations Employee (Senior) at Menzis
Reliable, works well on different platforms, and is easy to set up
  • "It’s very flexible."
  • "We only hope that they continue to keep updating the solution and improving the offering. They could always do more updates and releases."

What is our primary use case?

If I want to have a file here and I want to get it to someone, then we can use file transfer to encrypt the file from my location to the new location. It’s a managed file transfer. It’s a secure line. We can transfer one file or hundreds of files. We can also receive encrypted files. It’s always checking to see if the files we send or receive are 100% safe.

What is most valuable?

There's some programming you can use however you like. There are different loaders, from user passwords to connections to different levels of databases and you can use it from Oracle, Windows, you name it. It’s very flexible.

What needs improvement?

We are pretty happy with the solution. There haven’t been any shortcomings.

I’ve been using the solution for four or five years.

The solution is very stable. We’ve used it for five years or so without issue. There are no bugs or glitches.

It is quite scalable. If a company needs to expand, it can do so.

I’m not a direct contact person. I don’t deal with technical support. I can’t say how helpful or responsive they are.

The initial setup is very simple, very straightforward. We didn’t find it to be overly complex.

What other advice do I have?

I’m a customer and an end-user.

We are using either the latest version of the solution or one older version.

It is a good product, stable, and you can use it on different levels, and on platforms.

I’d rate it an eight out of ten as I am pretty happy with its capabilities.

Download our free Managed File Transfer (MFT) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Axway, IBM, Progress Software, and more!
Updated: November 2022
Product Categories
Managed File Transfer (MFT)