We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

AWS Glue OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Glue is #3 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Integration tools. PeerSpot users give AWS Glue an average rating of 8 out of 10. AWS Glue is most commonly compared to Talend Open Studio: AWS Glue vs Talend Open Studio. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is AWS Glue?

AWS Glue is a fully managed extract, transform, and load (ETL) service that makes it easy for customers to prepare and load their data for analytics. You can create and run an ETL job with a few clicks in the AWS Management Console. You simply point AWS Glue to your data stored on AWS, and AWS Glue discovers your data and stores the associated metadata (e.g. table definition and schema) in the AWS Glue Data Catalog. Once cataloged, your data is immediately searchable, queryable, and available for ETL.

AWS Glue Buyer's Guide

Download the AWS Glue Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

AWS Glue Customers
bp, Cerner, Expedia, Finra, HESS, intuit, Kellog's, Philips, TIME, workday
AWS Glue Video

AWS Glue Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AWS Glue pricing:
  • "Technical support is a paid service, and which subscription you have is dependent on that. You must pay one of them, and it ranges from $15,000 to $25,000 per year."
  • "Its price is good. We pay as we go or based on the usage, which is a good thing for us because it is simple to forecast for the tool. It is good in terms of the financial planning of the company, and it is a good way to estimate the cost. It is also simple for our clients. In my opinion, it is one of the best tools in the market for ETL processes because of the fact that you pay as you use, which separates it from other big tools such as PowerCenter, Pentaho Data Integration, and Talend."
  • "It is not expensive. AWS Glue works on the serverless architecture. We get charged for the time the server is up. For our use case, we have to use it once in a day, and it is not expensive for us."
  • "The pricing is a bit higher than other solutions like Athena and EC2. If the pricing becomes more scaled or flexible, it will be good because you have to pay 44 cents just for one DPU for an hour. If you increase DPUs to 5 or 10, the pricing gets multiplied. There are also some time limits like 0 to 10 minutes or 10 to 20 minutes. If the pricing is according to the minutes, it would be better because you have to limit your job to 10 minutes or 20 minutes."
  • AWS Glue Reviews

ECM CONSULTANT/ARCHITECT/SOFTWARE DEVELOPER, DELUXE MN at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Easy to perform ETL on multiple data sources, and easy to use after you learn it
    • "Glue is a NoSQL-based data ETL tool that has some advantages over IIS and ISAs."
    • "There is a learning curve to this tool."

What is our primary use case?

Glue is a NoSQL-based data ETL tool that has some advantages over IIS and ISAs. It is tailored and customized to use with SQL Server, which works very well in that platform.

If you want to use other data sources, the NoSQL concept makes it very easy, because missing data can be inserted as a new column or with null values.

That is not the case with many other tools. If you have on-premises tools, such as IIS, they don't manage missing data well.

What is most valuable?

If you want extremely high-performance functionality, you have to use both AWS Glue or Data Lake to store it in some temporary table. First, you will have to do some cleaning of the data, then if you need performance and speed, you have to use IIS with an IBM tool.

You have to use the right tool in the right places. For example, if you're using Oracle, you have got to use the Oracle tools. If you are using SQL, you have to use the SQL tools. There is no other tool that provides the performance.

It's context-based and project-based. In the projects that I have used, it has worked well.

What needs improvement?

There is a learning curve to this tool.

I have been working with AWS Glue for four years.

Everything runs on AWS, even if it belongs to a third party. For example, if you have a Netflix subscription, it runs on AWS. We have other products or vendor subscriptions that run on AWS.

Undoubtedly, the cloud is built to handle failure. If you have your devices, and your resources configured correctly, you won't have any issues. I haven't seen a problem.

You have to pay for their technical support, and depending on which level of subscription, you will receive a call within an hour; otherwise, you will have to wait for days.

We also use Azure's Data Lake, and I worked with Tipco in the past, though it's been a few years since we used it.

You should select the best tool for the job or the projects that are currently being worked on. Tipco was heavily used in the previous project we worked on.

It takes some time to learn, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be fine. It's like any other IT tool, where nobody is an expert or isn't an expert, it is just the way you are exposed to a tool.

You've chosen the right tool if you understand how the data works and what it needs to do. It's like going to Home Depot to get the right tool. You can purchase a set of tools, and it will work for you, but you will still need to purchase something else.

It's one of those tools in which someone must be an expert. After that, all tools and platforms become secondary.

With AWS Glue, you pay more, but if you want to process the data, with speed and performance, you need the correct EC2 instances.

There is a price to pay. It doesn't come free.

You sign up for a level of service, and it does not come for free. As previously stated, everything is based on performance, ELAs.

It was very expensive, at that time. If a company wants to pay the money, it makes my job easier. However, if the company or enterprise does not have the funds to pay for it, then it is a hassle.

What other advice do I have?

In that environment, there is a lot going on. There are some things that you can get for free, and there are some add-ons that you can develop or use that have been tested. It's all about convenience and service. You will get what you pay for if you pay for what you want.

I'm not a fan of any tools; it all depends on the organization I work for, where their data is, what they want to do with it, how quickly they want to get there, and what their budget is, and you work around that. For me, I would not choose one over the other, unless I know the details of the project.

I would rate AWS Glue a nine out of ten.

Bruno Ramos
    CEO and Founder at HartB
    Improved our time to implement a new ETL process and has a good price and scalability, but only works with AWS
    • "The facility to integrate with S3 and the possibility to use Jupyter Notebook inside the pipeline are the most valuable features."
    • "The crucial problem with AWS Glue is that it only works with AWS. It is not an agnostic tool like Pentaho. In PowerCenter, we can install the forms from Google and other vendors, but in the case of AWS Glue, we can only use AWS."

What is our primary use case?

It is a good tool for us. All the implementation in our company is done with AWS Glue. We use it to execute all the ETL processes. We have collected more or less five terabytes of information from the internet by now. We process all this data in our cloud platform and normalize the information. We first put it on a data lake that we have here on the AWS tool. After that, we use AWS Glue to transform all the information collected around the internet and put the normalized information into a data warehouse.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the time to implement a new ETL process by 30%. We have also seen a big improvement in the data science area.

What is most valuable?

The facility to integrate with S3 and the possibility to use Jupyter Notebook inside the pipeline are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The crucial problem with AWS Glue is that it only works with AWS. It is not an agnostic tool like Pentaho. In PowerCenter, we can install the forms from Google and other vendors, but in the case of AWS Glue, we can only use AWS.

I have been using this solution for two years.

In terms of stability, we had some problems in the past, but now, it is okay. AWS provides SLA, and the integration of the tools is good.

Scalability is a very strong point of this solution as compared to other solutions like PowerCenter and Pentaho. In Pentaho, you need to install a lot of machines, but in AWS Glue, you just need to find out how many instances do you need. You just put this information in a form and click okay. Magically, you have the scaled processes.

We have 35 users of this solution, and they are engineers, DevOps, and data scientists. We have a lot of plans to increase the usage of AWS Glue in 2021.

In the first year of using it, we had a lot of problems with the solution. Our team found more or less five bugs if I remember correctly. Our experience with AWS support was very good. The team in the US helped us to resolve the problems and fix the bugs. We are AWS partners.

Before AWS Glue, we worked with Talend, PowerCenter, and Pentaho. In the case of PowerCenter, the biggest problem for us was the plugins because they were too expensive. That was the negative point of PowerCenter.

In the case of Talend, the problem was that in Brazil, we didn't have professionals with the skills to work with Talend. In addition, we had to use the command-line interface, which was a terrible thing because it took more time as compared to other solutions.

In the case of Pentaho, we had the same problem as Talend. We didn't have a lot of professionals. Of course, we have some courses to train people in Pentaho. We work with the biggest companies in Brazil, and we need professionals every day, but we don't have professionals with experience in Pentaho.

The initial setup process is totally easy. You just need to put some information in the forms, and then you just need to click some buttons, and it is complete. The process to provide a new infrastructure with AWS Glue takes from 10 minutes to an hour.

We have all the professionals inside the company.

Its price is good. We pay as we go or based on the usage, which is a good thing for us because it is simple to forecast for the tool. It is also good in terms of the financial planning of the company, and it is a good way to estimate the cost. It is also simple for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate AWS Glue a seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Learn what your peers think about AWS Glue. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    563,780 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Akash Shanker
    Team Lead at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It can generate the code and has a good user interface, but it lacks Java support
    • "Its user interface is quite good. You just need to choose some options to create a job in AWS Glue. The code-generation feature is also useful. If you don't want to customize it and simply want to read a file and store the data in the database, it can generate the code for you."
    • "Currently, it supports only two languages in the background: Python and Scala. From our customization point of view, it would be helpful if it can also support Java in the background."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for file ingestion. Its primary role is to ingest a file from a vendor to a database.

What is most valuable?

Its user interface is quite good. You just need to choose some options to create a job in AWS Glue.

The code-generation feature is also useful. If you don't want to customize it and simply want to read a file and store the data in the database, it can generate the code for you.

What needs improvement?

Currently, it supports only two languages in the background: Python and Scala. From our customization point of view, it would be helpful if it can also support Java in the background.

I have been using AWS Glue for three months. We have just started using these services.

We have not been using AWS Glue for a long time. Till now, we haven't found any issues.

Their technical support is good. We faced an issue with AWS Glue where we had to read a flat file. In a flat file, you only have spaces. You don't have commas or anything else. AWS Glue does not directly support flat files. You need to provide it with an expression to read the file, and that expression itself has some limitation of characters. We contacted the AWS support team. They had a call with us and first tried to understand our problem and then our use case. We gave them some sample files for our use case, and they come up with a solution for this limitation. There are some custom patterns in AWS Glue that can be used. Even though they took some time, they provided the solution. If you give a file today, they will take three to four days to get back.

It was straightforward. A lot of documentation is available on the AWS website, which can guide you through the simple steps to set it up. Its setup was easy for me.

It is not expensive. AWS Glue works on the serverless architecture. We get charged for the time the server is up. For our use case, we have to use it once in a day, and it is not expensive for us.

What other advice do I have?

We have just recently started to use this solution. We haven't used all features properly. It is good for the features we are using. We did not find any drawbacks or limitations so far. We are already getting whatever we want from it.

I would rate AWS Glue a seven out of ten. It needs improvements in terms of Java support and the turnaround time for our problems.

Senior Software Engineer at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
    It comes with its own data catalog and supports triggers for scheduling the ETL process
    • "Data catalog and triggers are the two best features for me. AWS Glue has its own data catalog, which makes it great and really easy to use. Triggers are also really good for scheduling the ETL process."
    • "The start-up time is really high right now. For instance, when you start up a new job, you have to wait for five or eight minutes before it starts. If the start-up time is reduced to one or two minutes, it will be great. It will be better to have a direct linkage to Redshift in AWS. If we can use data catalogs from Redshift, it will be so easy to create some data catalogs. Currently, we can only use data catalogs from S3."

What is our primary use case?

We are collecting some TV audience data and analyzing it.

What is most valuable?

Data catalog and triggers are the two best features for me.

AWS Glue has its own data catalog, which makes it great and really easy to use. Triggers are also really good for scheduling the ETL process.

What needs improvement?

The start-up time is really high right now. For instance, when you start up a new job, you have to wait for five or eight minutes before it starts. If the start-up time is reduced to one or two minutes, it will be great.

It will be better to have a direct linkage to Redshift in AWS. If we can use data catalogs from Redshift, it will be so easy to create some data catalogs. Currently, we can only use data catalogs from S3.

We have been using the AWS Glue for approximately one and a half years.

There is no problem related to stability.

Scalability is good. I can reduce or increase the number of DPUs, which I find very useful.

We are trying to increase the usage of AWS Glue because of customer needs. When the data increases, our application needs some more analyzers and user interfaces. We will increase our data analyzer and user interfaces.

I didn't take any technical support because I didn't have a big problem or issue. I just used some information from various communities and forums about the maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend AWS Glue. It is a great choice.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Net Full-Stack developer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    A stable solution which can easily integrate with other AWS services
    • "One of the best features of the solution is its ability to easily integrate with other AWS services."
    • "Overall, I consider the technical support to be fine, although the response time could be faster in certain cases."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a level of loading data from the source systems.

What is most valuable?

One of the best features of the solution is its ability to easily integrate with other AWS services. So, it's like we are using AWS as a main cloud provider. It's easy to put everything together. it is very flexible when it comes to compute features. We find the solution very useful when we make use of certain scripts. In some cases, it allows us to get rid of duplicates.

What needs improvement?

When there is a need to configure connections to different database sources in respect of the target, it would be good if it were easier to deal with roles. I am referring to the need to configure connections in a different target process, something which would require a certain time outlay for configuring VPC and checking that everything is okay, in respect of the creation of required roles. It would save time were this process to be made easier and more user friendly.

The technical support depends on the type of question, whether there is a need to understand additional inter-related information on multiple levels. Overall, I consider the technical support to be fine, although the response time could be faster in certain cases.

I have been using AWS Glue for about two years.

The solution is stable.

While the technical support can vary with the type of question, I feel that, overall, it is okay, although receipt of information could be faster in certain cases.

We previously had experience with Database Migration Service at AWS. I recommend it over AWS Glue if one needs to do full database migration from on-premises deployment or in cases involving large volumes of data.

I handled the installation on my own.

I consider the the price to be standard-plus when it comes to optimal usage.

What other advice do I have?

I rate AWS Glue as an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud