IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

ASP.NET OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ASP.NET is #3 ranked solution in top .NET Development Services. PeerSpot users give ASP.NET an average rating of 8 out of 10. ASP.NET is most commonly compared to SharePoint Designer: ASP.NET vs SharePoint Designer. ASP.NET is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.
ASP.NET Buyer's Guide

Download the ASP.NET Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

What is ASP.NET?
ASP.NET is a free web framework for building web sites, apps and services with HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
ASP.NET Customers
Kienzle Automotive GmbH, Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Vengo Labs, Oneview Healthcare, BookedOut, Ministry of Rural Development, Grupo WRR
ASP.NET Video

Archived ASP.NET Reviews (more than two years old)

Sorina Vasiliu - PeerSpot reviewer
Co-Founder at RED ABACUS DEVELOPMENT SRL
Easy to use and has good stability

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I am sure there is something that has room for improvement but nothing specific comes to mind.

I have been using ASP.NET for eight years.

I think it's stable. There haven't been a lot of bugs.  We have around five users using this solution.
ASP.NET vs. Microsoft Visual Studio
May 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about ASP.NET vs. Microsoft Visual Studio and other solutions. Updated: May 2022.
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I haven't needed to be in touch with customer support yet.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.  I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Sravan Kumar Kolloju - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Lead at AIA
Simple to maintain, design, and to create
  • "The main pro is that it's very easy and we have Microsoft helping to stabilize the product which is coming with the all new features every year."
  • "The con is that every year they are launching a new technology, and for a company like us, we get confused which version should be used."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for development purposes, to cater to the company's business requirements and needs. We have our own team where we get exactly what they want through the business analysts. Then according to that, we design and cater to the requirements and implement it.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the features that I have found most valuable, I'd compare it to Java and competent technology. We can do the same thing within Java, as well. But the thing with Java is that you need to write end-to-end, and with Microsoft, it is much easier for the developer and the intra-system because everything is very simple. It is not complex to maintain, to design, and to create. In simple terms, we can say that we choose Microsoft technologies most often because of their simplicity.

Any developer, even me, can read, understand, support and maintain. For Java, it's open-source and each fellow has his own style. Of course, .NET has its own so-called design patterns, we can call it Framework, and this Framework is direct for most of the developers. When we know which Framework this software design uses, the developer is easily able to understand it.

What needs improvement?

Whenever I don't know how to fix some critical issues, the Microsoft support team always gives us some good guidance and we follow it. When it comes to the application simulation and whether we think it should be added into the latest Microsoft released technology or not, we get everything we need. The only thing is they need to up their new technology and to revamp or migrate our current or existing applications into the latest version, and it should fix the current issues. But it's not me as a developer who can simply buy or implement the tool. Its edition should come from the management, which is not that easy. We only can propose that we get better features in the latest ASP.NET technology, and our higher reporting managers were keen to emphasize that it might take some time. We use the latest technologies that will be implemented with my current applications. We just sample it.

With ASP.NET there are pros and cons. The main pro is that it's very easy and we have Microsoft helping to stabilize the product which is coming with the all new features every year. It does improve the product. But the con is that every year they are launching a new technology, and for a company like us, we get confused about which version should be used.

Let's say we started using the next version, then the next year the version is no longer supported or it got upgraded to the new one. It's not that easy to migrate that entire software to that new version so they have a challenge here. I would hope when Microsoft releases any new products, they would release at least once in five years, and they need to give all the features for that version together. Not like now, when every edition they launch is a new product with the next version and entirely change that Framework. This is not advisable, because when we deal with the project, the size matters and the application usually also matters. Because if all projects are in one year, and you started working on the next version and we were going to launch that software the next year, that version has changed. It's very tough to migrate the entire one year project to the next version. So this is the challenge.

I have been using ASP.NET for eight+ years.

Because I'm working in the insurance domain, we normally don't simply upgrade just like that, and the version I started using was ASP.NET 3 and Framework 3.5. Nearly two years back we migrated to 4.0.

It is stable.

It is scalable because of the intra-, we can scale it but we cannot compare this with new cloud technologies because the cloud is a newcomer, a new revolution where you can simply change it in-cloud. But when it comes to my company, we have our own private intra-. If you want to increase the scale to a higher level, to raise the scale, we need to put a new server or increase the memory RAM in terms of hardware and intra-. Regarding capacity, from day to day, the company is growing and its customers are also growing, and it needs to cater to their needs, so we normally do the server checkups to see whether that number of incoming requests is able to cater within that existing hardware. If not, we will redirect the request to the intra- team, then they'll proceed with that, making the applications to be supplied so that we are able to execute the performance.

I know it's 100 plus people using the solution but I don't the exact count.

As I said, ASP.NET already got a better version in the current market. 1% actually use that same version, which was released in 2011. Now, Microsoft announced that they are going to recall that support. I mean recall ASP.NET completely until 3.5. Luckily, we migrated to 4.0. I realize that even the 4.0 Framework was also slow and going to be recalled, as well. There are already discussions with my team and my management and because of this, we got a request from IT. We have our own IT R&D team and we got some guidelines where we have to come up with a new design with the current versions of ASP.NET to be migrated.

Regarding the initial setup, this question is a completely different story. It's not a simple setup question. Since I started learning ASP.NET, there are now many more versions. So many versions have been released and this Framework is so common that now people that used to call it ASP.NET now see it as a subset of Framework. So the Framework we saw then is different from what we see now. So I cannot easily answer because the story has changed since then. We have gotten many APIs released in between so that ASP.NET has become part of Framework and people more often use the Framework that is going to design an application.

For example, NBC is a model where we control the Framework. It's an architecture standard that has become very common since 2016. Recently, Microsoft also launched a new technology product called Core, the latest version of that is 2.0. Unfortunately, we were unable to use any of these latest technologies because of the banking insurance policies. We cannot simply implement the latest technologies just like that. We need to get the banking approvals and the country's regulations and guidelines. Microsoft is trying to improve its technology products, and somehow they made that product as open source. You can even re-direct your task to Framework in your own customized manner, which is more suitable for your company's needs.

Regarding the pricing, I don't know much because as a developer, I don't deal with the procurement, buying software. But I can say it does come with some good packages called corporate licenses. So when we buy a corporate license, I think multiple developers have access, can publish code and can develop from his own development machine. For instance, we can get Visual Studio where we use that as an IT tool, to develop the code and to buy the codes so we don't need to buy other products. I know that our company bought us a corporate license where we need to pay as a service for a year. We also have Microsoft support where we found some difficulty using so many of the application technologies. We can easily get support from that particular Microsoft team.

What other advice do I have?

Cost-wise, choose Microsoft technology. Regarding availability, check the supply of developers in the current market, because most of the developers, entrepreneurs, who start a new job, are going to learn this technology because it's simple and easy to learn. There is nothing difficult to learn and to work on. So I can say yes, ASP.NET is easy and is low cost when compared to other technologies. And in the current market, we have plenty of developers available and people like to learn it because it's so easy.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate ASP.Net an eight.

ASP.NET vs. SharePoint Designer
May 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about ASP.NET vs. SharePoint Designer and other solutions. Updated: May 2022.
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Associate Technical Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good development framework for Windows applications
  • "ASP.NET works well with Windows applications and more generally, the Windows platform."
  • "In the future, I would like to see more AI and machine learning technologies made available in libraries."

What is our primary use case?

I am a Microsoft .NET technology architect and ASP.NET is one of the platforms that I develop with and support.

What is most valuable?

I like ASP.NET in its entirety.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if they supplied templates or boilerplate code for the microservices architecture that would assist people in starting to build software.

ASP.NET does not support Apple or macOS devices.

I have been using ASP.NET for 15 years.

I have not had an experience that resulted in having to contact technical support.

I have not worked with similar frameworks from other vendors.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I started my career with ASP.NET and I like most of the things about it. I started working with Microsoft technologies rather than Java technologies, and I am still with Microsoft.

In India, they are moving to cross-platform deployment using the .NET work and I haven’t seen any drawbacks, apart from not being supported by Apple or macOS. I think that most customers prefer Windows applications, so they will prefer ASP.NET.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

PraveenMishra - PeerSpot reviewer
COE Head - Emerging Technologies & Global Practice Lead - Digital Transformations at Tata Technologies
ASP.Net in Microsoft Platform is a very powerful development tool through which you can design and develop highly scalable and reliable web applications
  • "This framework is very easy to use and tweak for our business needs."
  • "Sometimes we have issues with instability and it crashes, which is something that should be made to work better."

What is our primary use case?

Tata Technologies support manufacturing organizations and our customers are global automotive and aerospace manufacturers. Using Microsoft technologies we have developed applications for PLM, business applications solving business needs. The primary use cases would be to resolve business problems in Supply Chain, Inbound and Outbound logistics, Procurement to Pay, Contract to Pay, HR domain, Dealer Management System, Customer Relationship Management.

How has it helped my organization?

ASP.Net and Microsoft technologies platform has helped in improving our services to our clients. We are able to generate solutions for our global OEM customers and those solutions have become our arrowheads which we have taken to market as leaders. These arrowheads have allowed us to templatize and configure our solutions for our customers thus reducing our turn around time to reach to market

What is most valuable?

Following features of ASP.Net and Microsoft Technologies are valuable:

1. Cross platform support and container support is really a breakthrough

2. ASP.Net has unified MVC and web API frameworks which is really helpful to developers

3. VAPT points can be taken care with ease handling OWASP standards

4. ASP.Net integration with Azure Cloud environment is very seamless and supports other Cloud providers

5. ASP.Net provision of integration with FxCop, SonarLint and SonarQube for static code coverage ratio is very good

6. NuGet package integration is really very good

What needs improvement?

Following can be improved:

1. VS IDE should be license free so that community edition interactions can be enhanced

2. Undefined Application Architecture with lack of Separation of Concerns (SoC)

3. Lack of abstraction with least control over HTML.

4. Limited support for testing and SEO.

I have 11 years of experience with ASP.NET.

Regarding stability:

1. The releases made by Microsoft need to be stable from the perspective of release

2. The Microsoft platform has come out of ages, but still it need to be more stable so that the production environment is very stable.

Microsoft Platform is highly scalable and so is ASP.Net. However there some important factors like Separation of Concerns, SEO integration etc. which need to be integrated.

The technical support is fine. The partnership helps us get support for what we need and we have no complaints.

Yes, we moved from legacy ASP to ASP.Net because of technological advancements

Initial setup is straightforward and it is complimenting. We are able to setup the VS IDE and the project structure easily in ASP.Net projects

We have implemented using our in house team

Yes, the options were JAVA, PHP

What other advice do I have?

In general, I would recommend ASP.NET. However, it depends upon the use cases. If there is an application for the web then it is very good.

Private Cloud

Bhupesh Sharma - PeerSpot reviewer
System Analyst at Intersoft Data Labs
Works like a perfect solution for each possible project

What is our primary use case?

I have been using ASP.NET and Microsoft technologies for more than five years. I have never been this much addicted to a language like I am right now with C#. We have been using ASP.NET framework from mobile development to web development. It just works like a perfect solution to each possible project I've come across in life up till now.

How has it helped my organization?

There was a gap between developing mobile application some years ago but since Xamarin is in the family of Microsoft, which is a pretty cool cross-platform technology, there is nothing you can't do with Xamarin in the mobile world. It was useful for our organization to reach out for the mobile projects as well.

Most of the important things that would be good in the next release could be support in tooling and design of cross-platform app development.

What is most valuable?

Below are the coolest features of ASP.NET which I found valuable:

• Cross-platform and container support
  • High performance
  • Asynchronous programming via async/await
  • Unified MVC and Web API frameworks
  • Multiple environment and development mode
  • Dependency Injection
  • WebSockets and SignalR
  • Cross-site request forgery protection
  • Self-hosted web applications
  • Action filters
  • Globalization and localization
  • Profiler

What needs improvement?

Although ASP.NET is a full package for any sort of development, whether be it in web or mobile, each part has been covered well enough but there is always room for improvement. I am pretty sure that Microsoft is working in the same direction to ease the pain of developers. I won't point out anything but I am going to enjoy the fact that it's pretty cool to solve something on our own rather than just complaining about something which we haven't tried. However, who said it's going to be easy, but nobody said it's impossible. The most important thing to improve in the next release would be support in tooling and high-level designer toolbox for cross-platform mobile app development.

More than five years.
Technical Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It is very easy and straightforward to implement, but they need to fix the references that are not .Net built.

What is most valuable?

• Stability
  • Easy to use
  • A lot of resources available on the internet
  • Full support from the vendor

How has it helped my organization?

Our main product is built using ASP.Net. So, basically, ASP.Net is helping us formulate the future of our company.

What needs improvement?

Improving the project ready templates will add a great amount of value. They also need to find a way to fix the references that are not .Net built neither in assemblies nor available in NuGet packages.

I've used it for more than 11 years.

In older versions there were issues, however, most of these issues have been fixed in the newer versions.

Not really.

There were issues in the older versions, but usually scalability is an architectural issue, not an implementation one.

It's excellent.

It's excellent.

I worked on Java and PHP, and switched because of the features mentioned above.

It is very easy and straightforward.

We did it in-house.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Golden partners
it_user3894 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Administrator at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Easy way to develop an interactive web application.

Valuable Features:

1. Easy to use and develop pages. 2. Its web applications are professional class. 3. With support from other .NET languages any knowledge of .NET can help one move around ASP.NET. Others: include VB.NET, C#

Room for Improvement:

1. The pages are relatively large and hence may be slow. 2. It is not open source so i find it expensive to buy although as a company it is worth it purchasing but as an individual developer it is too expensive. 3. If you want to test your site unit wise with ASP.NET that is not an easy task.

Other Advice:

ASP.NET is very easy to use if one is familiar with .NET framework.
it_user1029 - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Center Expert at a tech company with 51-200 employees
This programming language is fast but in converting your MVC existing files is difficult.

Valuable Features:

1. No ViewState or "surprise crap". 2. Faster server-side. 3. Simplified model for multiple related views. 4. Unit testable.

Room for Improvement:

1. Difficult to convert an existing site. 2. Not best for SEO out of the box. 3. Challenges if you’re not running IIS7.

Other Advice:

If I needed to build a new site from scratch, and was able to use IIS7, it would be extremely likely that I would choose ASP.NET MVC. It’s a joy to work with (possibly because it’s "new"), and just makes sense. If I needed to work with an existing site, I would certainly have to consider the pro’s and con’s I mentioned above. ASP.NET MVC gives us an amazing new tool in our huge Microsoft toolbox.
it_user1005 - PeerSpot reviewer
Developer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Good Web App UI development

Valuable Features:

Rapid Development Easy to learn Wide range third party controls availability

Room for Improvement:

frequent version upgrade make you feel outdated unless you keep yourself updated
Product Categories