Apple Xcode OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Apple Xcode is the #8 ranked solution in top Mobile Development Platforms. PeerSpot users give Apple Xcode an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Apple Xcode is most commonly compared to OutSystems: Apple Xcode vs OutSystems. Apple Xcode is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 41% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 15% of all views.

Download the Mobile Development Platforms Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Apple Xcode?

Apple Xcode is a comprehensive suite of developer tools for producing programs for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Apple TV. Xcode creates a streamlined workflow for user interface design, coding, testing, debugging, and app store submission.

Xcode is an IDE (integrated development environment) designed for both novice and expert developers to use, and it is the only tool that is officially supported for designing and uploading programs to Apple's app store. Xcode contains all of the tools required to construct an app in a single software package, including a text editor, a compiler, and a build system. It includes a number of tools to speed up the development process so that seasoned developers may produce apps with lightning speed and beginners can create apps with ease.

As a code editor, Xcode supports a wide range of programming languages, including C, C++, Objective-C, Objective-C++, Java, AppleScript, Python, Ruby, ResEdit, and Swift.

It employs the Java, Carbon, and Cocoa programming models.

Apple XCode Features

Apple XCode has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• The new single target supports many platforms and conditionally includes dependencies, code, resources, and build parameters for particular systems.
  • Downloadable simulator runtimes for the most recent versions of watchOS and tvOS.
  • To improve parallelism and spot build performance concerns, a new assistant editor can build logs and display the build timeline.
  • Regex support, including syntax highlighting and playgrounds inline results for rapid iteration.
  • Support for iPadOS DriverKit driver development.
  • Asset catalog allows you to upload a single 1024 x 1024 pixel app icon, and it will be automatically resized for the target.
  • Debugging: The memory graph debugger now shows all incoming and outgoing memory graph references.
  • Documentation: Swift-DocC facilitates the creation of documentation for Objective-C and C APIs. The Swift-DocC documentation that Xcode 14 generates is now compatible with the majority of managed hosting services, including GitHub Pages.
  • Instruments: The new Swift Concurrency template tracks the application and behavior of Swift's concurrency primitives. The new Hang Tracing tool demonstrates when the main thread of an app is unable to handle incoming events.
  • Localization: Swift localization packages can be exported.
  • Organizer: New diagnostic reports on app hangs.
  • Previews: New design supports automatically generated variants for appearance, accessibility, sizes, and more. It is interactive by default.
  • Source editor: Enhanced code completion with top-level initializers, overloads consolidated into a single row, and a better default argument experience. As you scroll, code structure pins to the top of the source editor. Jump to definition and callers includes a brand-new user interface that assists you in distinguishing between overloads and call locations.
  • Swift packages in Xcode, command and build plug-in integration.

Reviews from Real Users

A founder of a tech vendor writes of the solution, “It was essential. You can't develop mobile apps for the Apple platforms without it. I would rate it a nine out of 10 for its consistency. It keeps evolving.”

Apple Xcode Video

Apple Xcode Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Apple Xcode pricing:
  • "There are no licensing costs for Xcode and no hidden charges. You just download it."
  • "You can start off using Apple Xcode for free but if you start using some more of their enhanced features, it's going to be hundreds of dollars a month. There are corporate licenses but most individual users will not be worried about the corporate license, only your CFO will or the person in charge of the software department."
  • "It has an annual renewal."
  • Apple Xcode Reviews

Solutions Architect at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Anybody who wants to develop native iOS or Mac solutions will definitely have to use this solution
    • "Xcode is pretty smart. It's easy to set up and works perfectly on Android."
    • "As Apple has introduced more and more features on top of Xcode, it sometimes, but very rarely, hangs."

What is our primary use case?

I use Xcode to develop native Mac applications and started using Mac Xcode to develop iOS applications.

What is most valuable?

These days Xcode is pretty smart. It's easy to set up and works perfectly on Android.  The automatic reference counting works pretty well, the multiple device layout in support, and the multiple Xcode simulators are there.

What needs improvement?

Once you install the product and add a lot of command line prompts and installations and then use the multiple simulators planned for many phones, tablets, and other devices, it increases the size of Xcode. Eventually, it reduces your laptop performance, really slowing down your computer.

Files mount up, and you don't know where they are. You need to know the complete system and do a proper cleanup; otherwise, it's impossible. If you have a lot of basic Mac devices, the 250 GB or 126, 125 GB laptop, it really sucks. So the product would be improved by a mechanism to do regular cleanups.

I've been using Apple Xcode since 2005.

Mobile Development Platforms
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Apple, Ionic, Microsoft and others in Mobile Development Platforms. Updated: November 2022.
    657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I'm not happy with the stability. In the initial days, Xcode was pretty stable. I never had any problems. But as Apple has introduced more and more features on top of Xcode, it sometimes, but very rarely, hangs.

I'm not sure about the solution's scalability. You should be able to scale it up in the future. They've already optimized the Xcode UI session. Xcode is already a pretty heavily loaded system.

You never need any tech support because if it is not working, you just delete it and install it again. That's the worst-case scenario.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. You just download Xcode, and that's it.

There are no licensing costs for Xcode and no hidden charges. You just download it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Xcode as eight on a scale of one to 10.

The number of people using the product in the company depends on the project and the number of projects we're working on. If we have hundreds of mobile projects, more than 100 people will be using these laptops. When we have fewer mobile projects, fewer people use Xcode. It can range from 10 to 200 users.

The solution is pretty easy to maintain. Once you're using it, you just need to upload updates automatically, and that's it.

Anybody who wants to develop native iOS or Mac solutions will definitely have to use Xcode. There is no alternative.

Daniel Bell - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr |OS Engineer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
    Efficient, up-to-date, and straightforward installation
    • "The most valuable feature of Apple Xcode is that it is up to date."
    • "The size of Apple Xcode could improve. It is too large."

What is our primary use case?

Apple Xcode is used for writing code for developing software within Apple's ecosystem.

How has it helped my organization?

Apple Xcode has helped out organization by allowing us to efficiently create iOS apps without needed overhead, which allows us to engage the iOS community.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Apple Xcode is that it is up to date.

What needs improvement?

The size of Apple Xcode could improve. It is too large.

In the next release, it would be beneficial to have the compiling time reduced and a more enhanced simulator.

I have been using Apple Xcode for approximately seven years.

Apple Xcode is a stable solution on Apple's SDKs. It is the best in stability on the market.

The scalability of Apple Xcode is good. It can scale to any engineer team size.

I have worked at a company using this solution with 30 iOS engineers and the current company I work at has four engineers. Our numbers are growing and we will increase usage of the solution.

I have not used Apple support for Apple Xcode, but I have for other solutions and they have been good.

I've always used Apple Xcode for iOS development but I've developed other ecosystems and they used other tools for those other ecosystems, such as Atom and Eclipse.

The initial setup of Apple Xcode is straightforward. We installed the solution on each iOS dev environment. Then each iOS dev controls their implementation of it.

The deployment of Apple Xcode is done in-house by our engineer.

I have seen an ROI from using Apple Xcode. It has not hindered me from developing iOS features, it has provided me with an optimal dev environment.

You will need to have an Apple Developer license. Once you have that license, then you have access to the software and its tools.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to use Apple Xcode.

I rate Apple Xcode a nine out of ten.

Mobile Development Platforms
    November 2022
    657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Founder at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
    A complete and consistent solution that is constantly evolving
    • "It is complete and relevant to the job at hand."
    • "There should be additional documentation on App Store deployment. In terms of features, they're pretty much on top of where they need to go. I've been happy with its progress so far. As things evolve, they need to evolve to match that need."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for developing mobile applications. It is a development environment, and it is on-premises.

I am using its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

It is complete and relevant to the job at hand.

What needs improvement?

There should be additional documentation on App Store deployment. In terms of features, they're pretty much on top of where they need to go. I've been happy with its progress so far. As things evolve, they need to evolve to match that need.

I have been using this solution for 11 years.

It evolves over time. It is pretty good 95% time, and 5% of the time, I have issues with it.

That doesn't apply. It is per seat, so you install it on each computer that you're using. It is being used extensively in our organization.

I haven't talked to them directly.

I have been using Xcode right away because it is primarily the only solution available.

By now, it is pretty routine.

It has an annual renewal.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of 10 for its consistency. It keeps evolving.

Dheeraj Upadhyay - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead Software Engineer at UKG
    An intermediate tool that helps us connect and test features, but some configurations are required

What is our primary use case?

We use Apple Xcode to utilize the capability of the iOS simulator. Using Apple Xcode, we connect our mobile apps with the simulators to test the feature on the iOS simulators. We can configure different simulators, and with the help of Apple Xcode, we can connect over real devices and publish the locally built app. Then, we can see how it will behave on the real device.

How has it helped my organization?

It is an intermediate tool that helps test our features on the real device and iOS simulators.

We have been using Apple Xcode for one year.

It is stable and user-friendly. As soon as we install Apple Xcode, we have all the information about the simulators and can configure them. However, it is a bit challenging to sign in, and some configurations have to be completed to connect the real device with the Xcode.

It is a scalable solution. We have 30 to 35 QA, BAs and DevOps using this solution.

We have not used technical support.

I don't believe it is deployed. We just install it locally and get used to using it.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a seven out of ten. It is a good tool that should be utilized. It allows you to code in iOS using Swift language and build apps. It has a lot of flexibility.

Haresh Ghatala - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Lead Mobile App Developer at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
    A good development tool that is easy to navigate, but requires a large amount of memory space

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to develop software for Apple OS.

What is most valuable?

We like the ease of access and navigation that this solution provides.

What needs improvement?

We would like a 'light' version of this solution to be developed, as it currently uses a lot of memory space.

We would also like there to be a short-key to copy and paste text, to use similar code, or for code sync to be included into this product.

We have been using this solution for around nine years.

We consider this to be a stable solution.

There is no option to scale this solution, the size is fixed.

The support for this solution are very responsive and usually contact us within 48 hours verbally, then follow up via email or a message in their tech forum. They are very knowledgeable.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup of this solution is very easy as it is plug and play.

This is an open-source solution on Apple OS, so there are no licensing costs involved.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free Mobile Development Platforms Report and find out what your peers are saying about Apple, Ionic, Microsoft, and more!
    Updated: November 2022