Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is the #5 ranked solution in top Compute Service tools. PeerSpot users give Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling an average rating of 9.2 out of 10. Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is most commonly compared to AWS Fargate: Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling vs AWS Fargate. Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 15% of all views.

Download the Compute Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling?

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling helps you maintain application availability and allows you to automatically add or remove EC2 instances according to conditions you define. ... Dynamic scaling responds to changing demand and predictive scaling automatically schedules the right number of EC2 instances based on predicted demand.

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling was previously known as AWS RAM.

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling Customers
Expedia, Intuit, Royal Dutch Shell, Brooks Brothers
Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling Video

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling pricing:
  • "The price of this product could be a little bit lower."
  • "Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis."
  • "The solution pricing varies by service region is mid-range."
  • "When we want to use more services, we need to pay more. It's a monthly subscription, rather than licensed-based. Pricing or fees for Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling could be improved."
  • "I have not explored the price of the solution extensively, but from what I have seen the price is alright."
  • Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling Reviews

Shaamil Ashraff - PeerSpot reviewer
    Architect - Database Administration at Mitra Innovation
    Easy to set up with simple cloud migration capabilities and helpful support
    • "The integration capabilities are good."
    • "The price could always be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

The client had a requirement to make sure there was a specific amount of memory utilization for each of the EC2 instances. When it reached its maximum or a threshold limit. The client wanted the Auto Scaling to scale up more easily to instances onto the system, with all the relevant security configurations, and everything available. That was his business problem. He didn't want to pay a lot at once, however, he didn't want to leave the system in a state that should not be in a position to be unable to handle jobs due to heavy usage or if there is a demand. The client wanted to make sure the demand was met and he wanted to make sure the service that he was obtaining from AWS was not idle.

Therefore, we provided the Auto Scaling EC2s. While we designed the solution, we identified what could be the minimum utilization based on the on-prem solution that they had. It was kind of a migration solution. The client had an on-prem environment and wanted to go into AWS in a cost-effective way. To ensure cost-effectiveness, we proposed Auto Scaling, so that if there was a heavy demand for memory, Auto Scaling could start scaling up based on the demand. And then, when the demand is reduced, it would automatically scale down and run on a specific minimum usage so that the cost will be at the minimum.

What is most valuable?

When customers decide to go from on-prem to cloud, they have a lot of issues. For example, once they're comfortable on-prem, they don't want to spend a lot of operational expenses. Amazon services, however, are OpEx; it's operational costs only that you have to pay. Therefore, there is a lot of resistance that could come from the client. However, with Auto Scaling, since it guarantees that you will not be charged for what you are not using, the customer is very happy. That enables people to move into the cloud with relative comfort.

The cloud migration is very easy and problem-free. It's not so complex. We didn't face any issues migrating. It was very fast.

The initial setup itself was very straightforward.

Technical support is responsive.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is good.

The integration capabilities are good.

We have found the solution offers good security capabilities.

What needs improvement?

We do have some issues sometimes when something is not configured in the correct way. However, users can avoid this type of trouble by being knowledgeable about the product.

The price could always be a bit better.

On the ECs, the T2 microservice is the lowest tier. That particular tier could be a little better than what they're offering currently. You cannot do anything at all on that T2 micro. It's a useless tier to have introduced, as you can't do anything at all. You would be able to log in and log off and do some simple features which are already available on that operating system. Yet you cannot install anything. You cannot do anything at all.

I've used the solution for six months or so.

November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Apache, Oracle and others in Compute Service. Updated: November 2022.
    655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The product is very, very, very stable, even though some instances crashed due to instability here and there. Since it's Auto Scaling, there was another instance that would come up quickly. Overall, however, it was reliable.

The solution is very scalable.

Currently, I've worked with two clients that have used the solution.

Technical support is good. They are quite responsive.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It was a straightforward setup, however, there were additional test scenarios we had to do, as we had to prove that services will not degrade during the time the systems are scaling up and scaling down. Those kinds of test scenarios took us little time for us to prove it meets their requirements. Apart from that, it was very easy and straightforward.

The deployment doesn't take long, although there were some idle times. If I cut out all the idle time, we completed that project within two weeks.

The deployment could be handled by one person. We have two staff that are not full-time handling it. We wanted some redundancy, which is why we have two, however, you only need one.

There are no licensing costs. However, there is a monthly service charge.

What other advice do I have?

We are a system integrator. I was more of a DevOps engineer on that. In the company that I'm working with, we provide the required staff augmentation to get that solution up and running.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Venkateswarlu Paturu - PeerSpot reviewer
    Service Delivery Manager / Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Stable, flexible, reliable, and scales up or down automatically according to your requirements
    • "The most valuable features are that it is stable, flexible, and reliable."
    • "The technical support needs to be improved."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is stable, flexible, and reliable.

It is pretty good from a scaling perspective, where if the load on the server is too high, it automatically scales up and the load on the server is balanced. When the load decreases, it automatically downgrades.

What needs improvement?

The technical support needs to be improved.

From a usage perspective, it runs well, although there may be a use case where it will break that I have not yet come across.

I have been using Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling for several years.

This is a stable solution.

The scalability is very good. I have used it at the enterprise level for hundreds of users.

With respect to technical support, there is a lot of good documentation available but the problem is that sometimes when there is third-party integration, support becomes very difficult because they think that the problem is not related to Amazon.

For example, I tried to integrate with some IoT products, and they support integration with Amazon. When I had trouble, the IoT vendor told me that it is Amazon who needed to take care of something on their side, yet when I contacted Amazon, they told me to contact the IoT vendor. They should have more partnerships and cooperation with other vendors to improve integration overall.

As a platform, we are expecting a little bit more in terms of support, especially when third-party integrations are concerned.

We did not use another similar product prior to this one.

There is no installation because it is already taken care of with a configuration tool by AWS.

The price of this product could be a little bit lower.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I haven't face any issues with it. I plan to continue using it in the future, and I can recommend it to others. My primary complaint is about the pricing.

November 2022
    655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    ASHOK YADAV - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Excellent performance, easy to use, quick to install, and integrates well
    • "The Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling features are simple to use."
    • "I would like to see a feature included that has the capability to clone when an instance is being terminated."

What is our primary use case?

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling helps maintain application availability and allows you to add or remove EC2 instances.

More than one instance can run at one time. You can start and stop instances at any time.

It can run with any application. Linux, as an example, can be installed with it.

Once the EC2 has been created, you can easily log into it.

What is most valuable?

The Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling features are simple to use.

The performance is excellent. It's very easy to use and manage.

We have no issues with the integration of Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling.

The user data can be initialized during the startup, which is an excellent feature.

The AMI (Amazon Machine Image) is a helpful feature for the installation process.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a feature included that has the capability to clone when an instance is being terminated.

We have a few instances with the internal firewall. If for example, I am going to run Linux, and the firewall is open, sometimes it becomes difficult to debug the issue. Also, when you connect from another device, and if the internal IP address table is not deleted, the firewall will be enabled there.

There is no clear understanding of where the issue is. If you connect externally, you have to install SFTP.

I would like debugging capabilities included.

I have been using Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling for more than two years.

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is a stable solution.

This solution is used by 1,000 people in our organization.

Technical support is good.

Previously, I had not used another solution. I started with AWS.

The installation was fine. We were able to install it with the assistance of AMI.

The installation took less than 10 minutes, but it depends on what you want to install.

This solution is managed by a team of ten administrators.

Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

It is my opinion that serverless, such as Lambda, are preferred over EC2 instances.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling a nine out of ten.

Cuneyt Gurses - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Architect, DevOps Engineer at sonne technology
    A feature-packed solution that is the most stable AWS engine
    • "The solution includes many features for configuring networks and VPCs."
    • "The pricing could be reduced."

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses the solution to cluster cloud services for our customers who need elastic computing. Our customers currently have thousands of service users.

What is most valuable?

The solution includes many features for configuring networks and VPCs.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be reduced.

I have been using the solution for five years.

The solution is the most stable service engine offered by AWS.

The solution is scalable because it is cloud-based.

Technical support is perfect so I rate them a ten out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The solution is cloud-based so there is no setup. It is important, however, to configure the Auto Scaling feature which takes about ten minutes.

We deploy the solution in-house and it is easy. Deployments and ongoing management are handled by two technicians.

The solution pricing varies by service region is mid-range. Various conditions determine pricing such as the IP selected.

I rate pricing a six out of ten.

The solution is an alternative to Lambda. Some customers prefer Lambda because it is very efficient and can complete processes up to four times faster.

What other advice do I have?

Every AWS user should utilize the solution if they are not using Lambda.

I recommend the solution and rate it a ten out of ten.

Eduar Moran - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consulting Systems Engineer at Fortinet
    Helps maintain application availability and facilitates scaling up or down of servers based on needs
    • "One of the most important benefits is that a company can optimize resources because Auto Scaling deploys resources when needed. For example, for Black Friday, a company can deploy 100 servers for a couple of days. When Black Friday is over, the company can delete those servers."
    • "The documentation for this solution could be improved. For example, it is difficult to find documentation for integration with applications."

What is our primary use case?

EC2 and Auto Scaling are solutions to deploy computer VMs. When you use Auto Scaling, you have many advantages because the platform is elastic. When your platform requires high performance, Auto Scaling can provide this and avoid replication.

For clients, I deployed many Auto Scaling solutions for different applications, and currently I'm using Auto Scaling to deploy FortiGate. FortiGate is a next-generation firewall that provides security for AWS in general.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution makes it easier to provide a good customer experience because if you deploy the right infrastructure, the website will work properly and the user experience will be good.

What needs improvement?

The documentation for this solution could be improved. For example, sometimes it's difficult to find documentation for integration with applications.

I have been using this solution for five years.

This is a stable solution.

Scalability is very good because you can deploy the infrastructure as you need it.

The customer support for this solution is excellent.

The initial setup on the first day was a little bit challenging but with time became easier.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Vijay Mehta - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Manager - SAP at Capgemini
    Helpful support and simple implementation
    • "The support from Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is very good."
    • "We have found that the sizing in Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is far off. For example, we will see some at one terabyte and the other one is two terabytes. There is nothing between one and two terabytes. Sometimes it's a struggle if I need one and a half, I still am supposed to pay for two. There are five terabytes, six terabytes, and 12 terabytes, and if I need something at eight or nine, I'm still paying 30 to 40 percent more by taking the one which is 12 terabytes. Microsoft Azure does similar sizes but the gap can be more, such as six terabytes, and the next one is 12 terabytes."

What is our primary use case?

We use Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling for SAP workloads to the cloud.

What needs improvement?

We have found that the sizing in Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is far off. For example, we will see some at one terabyte and the other one is two terabytes. There is nothing between one and two terabytes. Sometimes it's a struggle if I need one and a half, I still am supposed to pay for two. There are five terabytes, six terabytes, and 12 terabytes, and if I need something at eight or nine, I'm still paying 30 to 40 percent more by taking the one which is 12 terabytes. Microsoft Azure does similar sizes but the gap can be more, such as six terabytes, and the next one is 12 terabytes.

I have been using Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling for the last three years.

We have approximately 1,000 using Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling.

The support from Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is very good.

Whatever works for the customer, we are more than happy to provide that service. Some of them may need something in a particular region where Amazon AWS is better than Microsoft Azure, we recommend then AWS. If Microsoft Azure is better, then it's Microsoft Azure.

The initial implementation was straightforward. The time it takes for the deployment depends on the environment and components, such as the operating system.

We have a team that does the support for Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling a nine out of ten.

Naresh Reddy - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise Solutions Architect at OORWIN LABS INC
    Scalable and stable service for Amazon EC2 instances, but its fees could still be lowered

What is our primary use case?

We use Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling for our EC2 instances. To run our application platform, we are using EC2 instances. EC2 is nothing but one machine, e.g. it's a remote machine. We are satisfied with the service, and we are especially good at using the service. We are taking clean servers, e.g. our machines run AWS, and we manage everything ourselves.

What needs improvement?

What could be improved in Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is its fees. We are looking to have some discounts on billing.

We've been using Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling for almost five years now.

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is a stable service.

We find Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling a scalable service.

The first time we set up Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling was not an easy task. We needed a lot of things first, and we needed to learn a lot, but now we are in a stable position in terms of setting up Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling. We can install it immediately.

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is not licensed-based. It's server-based. When we want to use more services, we need to pay more. It's a monthly subscription, rather than licensed-based. Pricing or fees for this service could be improved.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the best, my rating for Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is a ten.

Software Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Integrates well, reliable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is used if your computers are heavily using resources or heavily loaded, this is going to impact your backend environment. Therefore if your computers need more CPUs or additional RAM associated, then you can use Auto Scaling to take care of it. We then do not face any such structural issues with the VMs where we host the control environment and application.

What is most valuable?

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling has good integration.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more automation. Nowadays there is a vast variety of automation. Additionally, infrastructure monitoring could improve.

I have been using Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling for approximately three years.

The solution is stable.

Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling is scalable.

We have more than 50 users using this solution in my organization.

The installation is straightforward and it takes approximately 15 minutes to do.

We did the implementation ourselves.

I have not explored the price of the solution extensively, but from what I have seen the price is alright.

There is an annual subscription needed for the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling an eight out of ten.

Download our free Compute Service Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Apache, Oracle, and more!
    Updated: November 2022