IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

XLCubed OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

XLCubed is #14 ranked solution in top Reporting Tools and #20 ranked solution in top Business Intelligence Tools. PeerSpot users give XLCubed an average rating of 8 out of 10. XLCubed is most commonly compared to Microsoft BI: XLCubed vs Microsoft BI. XLCubed is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.

Download the Business Intelligence (BI) Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

What is XLCubed?

XLCubed is an add-in tool for Microsoft Excel that allows you to point to analysis and services cubes or any other relational databases so that you can create ad-hoc analysis, reporting and even dashboards that can be published to the web with a single click. Once you put items on the web, the environments are the same, which is really cool because the user interactivity and use of the report on the web and in Microsoft Excel is the same.

XLCubed Customers

Marshalls Ltd, BP Exploration and Production, Thorntons, Ted Baker, Bristol-Myers, Rank Group, ING Bank Genve, Cargill Value Investment, Chloride Power, Auchan, Erste, UEFA, Novartis, Porsche Informatik, Raiffeisen Bank International

XLCubed Pricing Advice

What users are saying about XLCubed pricing:
  • "14,000 Pounds per year for licensing."
  • "I am still using the two-week trial, but at first sight, the price is reasonable."
  • XLCubed Reviews

Head of Finance Systems at NHS
    Cost effective with great capability, performance, flexibility and visuals
    • "Great capability, performance, flexibility, visuals, and the solution is also very cost effective."
    • "Would like the ability to be able to benchmark."

What is our primary use case?

We do all our finance dashboards and staff utilization reporting for the finance team, the directors, program managers, and portfolio item managers. We are customers of XL Cubed and I'm the head of finance systems.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of this solution is its ease of use. The solution has great capability, performance, flexibility, visuals, everything. We also have a very good relationship with the consultants and the solution is also very cost effective. We received very good feedback from our senior executive when we showcased the product to the deputy chief exec a couple of weeks ago.

What needs improvement?

In general, we're happy with the solution but we're always looking to see what else is out there. The thing we've struggled with is our partnership with Tagetik UK, the consultants, and the issue we had gaining access to consultants to develop the solution on our behalf. Thankfully we connected directly with XLCubed and now have a pretty close and good relationship with them so the earlier problem we had of actually getting resources to help us develop has now been solved.  One of the things that we've been asking for and would like as an additional feature is a sort of benchmarking functionality. The ability to be able to benchmark, directly against the company digital corporate numbers. That said, there seems to be improved functionality within the latest release that could help us develop that further.

I've been using this solution for six years.
    Business Intelligence (BI) Tools
    May 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about XLCubed, Microsoft, Tableau and others in Business Intelligence (BI) Tools. Updated: May 2022.
    606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's quite a stable solution although we sometimes encounter issues internally within our IT department with regard to the structure.

We were at about 70 users and we've just scaled it up to 350 and it's working quite well, performance is okay. All users access it via the web portal. So it's pretty straightforward and scalable.

Technical support comes back to our partnership agreement. If we have issues related to Tagetik UK, it's generally difficult to get the required feedback or support, but now we've got the relationship directly with XLCubed, it's a lot easier. XLCubed can get involved with most things although sometimes we still have to go to Tagetik and it's a little more difficult, but the XLCubed guys now provide us with good support.

We used Tagetik for a lot of our reporting but it didn't have much dashboarding, or drag and drop capability. We did a pilot with SAF and we've also done some work from a power BI perspective where we found it wasn't flexible enough for our purposes. From our perspective, XLCubed is a better solution because it's directly integrated with our system. It's the front-end to our finance reporting system, our budgeting and management information system. There's no additional integration required, it automatically integrates. We load all our general information, all our activities reporting, time sheets and resolve plans.

The initial setup should have been simple but it turned out to be complex because it was done through Tagetik UK consultants. Now that we have direct access to XLCubed consultants things are relatively easy, but when we actually used Tagetik UK it was very difficult because there was quite a big skills gap within Tagetik UK to try and get it settled for us. The project, including the analytics piece, took five months. That included full implementation of Tagetik forecasting and budget systems as well, which was the more complex element. Actual implementation of XLCubed would have been a month or two. There is no maintenance required, just upgrades of the patches, a bit of housekeeping in terms of cache files, things like that. It requires general operational administration, not particularly resource intensive. We have about 350 people using it on a daily basis for half of any month. We hope usage will increase.

We only pay 14,000 pound a year for the licenses so it's a fairly cheap product.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that rather than go through with a partner like Tagetik UK, go directly to the company themselves. They've got really good and professional consultants who are very up to speed with the products. They provide the response and the delivery is also very good, and our product is good value for money. Because we pay such a reasonable amount for the annual license, and the visuals and the graphics, and the fact that it facilitates 370 users, makes it a real value for money product.  I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
    Junior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Connection should be simplified, but it's priced well
    • "I am looking forward to testing their full graphics that are available, as they looked very interesting in the demo."
    • "There should be a better or an easier way to establish that connection to external sources."

What is our primary use case?

We are still trying to make a connection to the SAP systems, but the intention is to use this for data analysis in Excel.

How has it helped my organization?

As I have not been able to make any connection, I am not able to test.

What is most valuable?

I am looking forward to testing their full graphics that are available, as they looked very interesting in the demo.

What needs improvement?

The connection, definitely, is an area that could be improved. There should be a better or an easier way to establish that connection to external sources.

In the next release, it should be a simpler solution for connection to the SAP product.

I have been working with XLCubed for five days. I have just started to use it.

Based on not be able to connect, I can't say that it is stable. I can't tell.

I have contacted technical support because I am not able to make the connection to the SAP systems.

We use the SAP solution, Analysis for Office. This is an add-on for Excel.

The initial setup is complex. I am still trying to figure it out.

I am doing the deployment myself.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who intends to implement this solution, I would recommend contacting technical support the first time it doesn't work.

At this time, I cannot recommend this solution to others because I cannot connect.

Because of the connection issues that we are experiencing, I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Download our free Business Intelligence (BI) Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about XLCubed, Microsoft, Tableau, and more!
    Updated: May 2022