Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus is #14 ranked solution in top Anti-Malware Tools. PeerSpot users give WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint: WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus vs Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 42% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Anti-Malware Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus?

Keeping your network free of malware is more challenging than ever before as an increasing number of new and ever-changing threats are emerging each day. Ensure your network and devices remain free of malware with WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus. It uses advanced, multi-layered threat detection engines to identify and block malware at the network gateway. Using industry-leading, high-performance scanning of traffic on all major protocols, WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus provides real-time protection against known viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, and rogueware.

WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus Customers
Star Cargo
WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus Video

Archived WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus Reviews (more than two years old)

Owner / CEO at Midwest Technology Specialists LLC.
Very stable and effective on non-encrypted traffic, but doesn't offer endpoint protection
  • "It is the most effective on non-encrypted traffic and it is able to determine some threats through deep packet inspection."
  • "The solution isn't what I would consider feature-rich."

What is most valuable?

The solution is very powerful.

There is a basic deep packet inspection within the antivirus that is able to be run against proxy filtering and certain policies. It's pretty standard in the industry.

What needs improvement?

The solution isn't what I would consider feature-rich.

Due to the fact that the high volume of traffic that is currently encrypted, I find that the antivirus is less effective every year. That's not just WatchGuard, however. It's the biggest area in need of improvement right now is as a whole in the industry. It has the same weaknesses other firewalls have, and that's its inability to dissect encrypted traffic. It is capable of doing it, however, it requires some specialty configuration that often interferes with Azure, Amazon cloud services, or things of that nature.

It would be useful if we could be able to get a report as to why the solution is doing one action but stopping another. You can configure it as part of the firewall to decrypt that traffic, effectively making it a middle man, however, in doing so, you often disrupt Microsoft Office 365 and Amazon Web Services. The capability is there. It is just not considered a recommended best practice.

While the ability to determine threats in non-encrypted traffic is a good part of a solution, it is not an adequate standalone. It does not have an endpoint component.

The feature I'm most interested in is additional endpoint protection, however, they recently purchased Panda. That would go in line with the EDR product. As a managed service provider, I'm always looking to simplify and clean my stack, so I can provide my customers with the best possible service with the least complexity. It's nice to know that they're actively working towards that already.

Also, I should note that most of the features I want are currently already in beta.

I have 18 years of experience with the WatchGuard brand, and 13 years directly with their threat detection and response products. I've put in more than 30 pieces of WatchGuard hardware, firewalls, access points, etc., in the last 60 days.

I've been using WatchGuard's Gateway AntiVirus specifically for 15 years now.

The solution has remained very stable. It has never resulted in a service-related ticket being required or anything along those lines. Users can rely on it as it doesn't crash and there aren't bugs or glitches that affect its functionality.

Anti-Malware Tools
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about WatchGuard, ESET, Broadcom and others in Anti-Malware Tools. Updated: September 2022.
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very scalable as part of a whole solution. One of the best features is that it's capable of having file exceptions based on the MD5 hash.

As a consultant, I have many of the systems out in production and they are in environments ranging from five to 10 users, up to several hundred.

The technical support has been amazing. We're very satisfied with their level of support.

The initial setup was very, very easy. It was not complex at all.

Discussing licensing is tricky. It is not available as a standalone purchase. It is part of a whole, so I can't divide out the costs in an effective way.

What other advice do I have?

We're a service provider and have been for a number of years. I'm a consultant.

The solution is part of the firewall and the UTM. It's never really handled as a separate entity, though it is licensed. It's part of their unified threat bundle.

I've used almost all of the current GUI interfaces. The antivirus has changed the backend engine a couple of times over the years. The current revision, I believe, is Bitdefender driven, but I'm not exactly 100% sure.

I'd advise other organizations, when setting up the solution, to configure all proxies and policies prior to doing the subscription service setup.

If the policies are pre-configured and your proxies are set up prior to activating the security antivirus or the Gateway AntiVirus, 90% of the configuration is done for you. You only find yourself manually doing it if you are building rules after the fact.

As an antivirus and standalone product, I would rate the solution seven out of ten. The main reason is, as a gateway appliance, it does not have the capability to perform the same function as an endpoint antivirus. It is not a substitute for endpoint antivirus.

CEO at Datastream LLC
A fully complete suite with VPN, firewall, and anti-virus agents for network management
  • "I haven't a problem with anti-virus stability using WatchGuard for over two years."
  • "WatchGuard technical support requires a license."

What is our primary use case?

WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus is a firewall solution. We use it for internet access for our employees and network security in business operations.

How has it helped my organization?

WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus is just a firewall. It's a very good solution for network security automation, but it does not improve our business work.

What is most valuable?

I value the stability of the product most. WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus also has great scalability. But for us, it's only about ten people who use it.

What needs improvement?

I would recommend the solution. It's a good and stable product. Nothing is too difficult.

We have been using this solution for two years.

The solution was very good with the anti-virus. I haven't a problem with anti-virus stability using WatchGuard for over two years.

My company is not big. Since we purchased the solution, it's been normal. No problems.

WatchGuard technical support requires a license. We never called them because the solution is working correctly and conveniently.

The setup is easy if experienced. The web interface is no problem. It takes only one hour.

The solution is a pop-in installation. I did it by myself.

What other advice do I have?

WatchGuard Gateway AntiVirus has VPN access for all systems. It's a firewall and an anti-virus agent. It's fully complete for my company.

I would recommend the solution. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at ten.

Download our free Anti-Malware Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about WatchGuard, ESET, Broadcom, and more!
Updated: September 2022