IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

VMware Tanzu Greenplum OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Tanzu Greenplum is #9 ranked solution in top Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give VMware Tanzu Greenplum an average rating of 10 out of 10. VMware Tanzu Greenplum is most commonly compared to Snowflake: VMware Tanzu Greenplum vs Snowflake. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is VMware Tanzu Greenplum?

Parallel Postgres for enterprise analytics at scale
With improved transaction processing capability and support for streaming ingest, Greenplum can address workloads across a spectrum of analytic and operational contexts, from traditional business intelligence to deep learning.

VMware Tanzu Greenplum was previously known as Greenplum, Pivotal Greenplum.

Download the Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

VMware Tanzu Greenplum Customers

General Electric, Conversant, China CITIC Bank, Aridhia, Purdue University

VMware Tanzu Greenplum Video

VMware Tanzu Greenplum Reviews

Gyula Bereczky - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Data Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Powerful external data integration and parallel load capabilities, with good technical support
  • "The parallel load features mean that Greenplum is capable of high-volume data loading in parallel to all of the cluster segments, which is really valuable."
  • "The initial setup is somewhat complex and the out-of-the-box configuration requires optimization."

What is our primary use case?

Greenplum is a distributed database that we used for data warehousing.

What is most valuable?

The service management capabilities are good.

The external data integration with Parquet, Avro, CSV, and unstructured JSON works well.

It has an advanced query optimizer.

What needs improvement?

- OS settings need to be tuned according to the Install guide.

- Only group/spread mirroring by gpinistsystem, block mirroring is manual (Best Practices Guide)

- Db maintenance scripts are not supplied - some of them added in cloud - need to be implemented based on the Admin Guide.

- Comes with two query optimizers, PQO is default, some queries perform better with the legacy planner, it needs to be set.

We have been working with Greenplum for about five years.

Greenplum is pretty stable.

This product is absolutely scalable. We have more than 400 users in our database.

The technical support is exquisite.

This is a company that really listens to its customers. I am very happy with our relationship.

Before I joined this company, I used different data warehousing solutions.

Making the transition to Greenplum requires a completely different mindset because it is massively parallel. It's more like a Big Data mindset, where you need to consider that you are distributing data between cluster nodes. It is not always straightforward to make the switch.

The initial setup is kind of complex. You need an expert to set up a Greenplum cluster.

It may not be possible to simplify the initial setup because there's an out of the box configuration and you can use it. I've actually seen companies using it for years and it works, but it didn't work optimally so they were not happy with the results.

You can set up Greenplum but you really need to read the manual and the installation guide. I've seen people skipping it and then complaining.

A few people are enough to maintain this product. If you want to have around the clock support then you will need a couple of people in different time zones, but generally, maintenance is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently in the process of upgrading from version 5.26 to 6.11 and I can already see a lot of improvements. I can't wait to try them. According to the roadmap, there are a lot of new improvements coming in the V7 version, which is due out next year.

My advice for anybody who is implementing Greenplum is that they really need an expert to assist them. They might hire consultants or grow experts in-house, although that takes time and it is not always straightforward. You can use Greenplum out of the box but to really leverage all of the capabilities, you definitely need to tune your system and also design your database objects.

When people think about a database they usually think about Oracle, Mircosoft SQL, or maybe MySQL. Greenplum is a distributed database that needs a completely different mindset. I think that when people start to use it, they don't really understand. For example, you cannot switch from Oracle to Hadoop because you will need the same change, but when they switch to Greenplum from Oracle, or just put data from Oracle to Greenplum, they don't consider this change as seriously as they would for Hadoop.

Overall, I am very happy with this product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Alvaro Fuentes - PeerSpot reviewer
Architect Projects at T-Systems International GmbH
Offers very good performance, particularly useful for public institutions with a minimal budget
  • "A very good, open-source platform."
  • "Extra filters would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product as a database for our platform. We are customers of VMware and I'm the project architect.

What is most valuable?

In general, I think this is a very good platform, particularly as it's open source. It fits very well with use cases for public institutions or universities, where there is not always a big budget.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more support for structured data and features related to queries on NoSQL keys, extra filters would be helpful.

I've been using this solution for two years.

We've been working on this project and using this solution for two years and it's performed very well.

The solution is scalable. We have around 20 users working directly on this platform and around 1,000 end users.

We also use Cloudera and Oracle so we have a few alternatives. We currently use Greenplum because one of our customers needed an open-source solution that would scale well and after some investigation, we went with Greenplum.

The initial setup was straightforward and we carried out the implementation ourselves.

We're using the open-source version so there are no licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend reading as much documentation as possible before starting to use the product. It helps to know how your data model should be implemented in order to get the best out of the platform and to figure out how it can improve performance,

This is one of the best solutions I've used and I rate it eight out of 10.

Private Cloud
Data Warehouse
May 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Apache, Micro Focus and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: May 2022.
597,415 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Solutions Engineer at VST-ECS Philippines Inc.
Allows you to benefit from the contributions of a vibrant community of developers
  • "It's super easy to deploy and it also supports different languages and analytics."
  • "They should add more analytics. Their documentation could also be improved so that I don't have to bother my co-workers and tech support so often."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

As of now, I honestly don't see any room for improvement. I am very happy with this solution, It's helped me a lot.

They should add more analytics. Their documentation could also be improved so that I don't have to bother my coworkers and tech support so often.

They should advertise more and make it easier for consumers to leave feedback. That way, customers could read the reviews and decide if it's the right solution for them and their needs.

I have been using VMware Tanzu Greenplum for roughly one year.

VMware Tanzu Greenplum is both scalable and stable.

Their technical support is great.

The initial setup is very easy. Deployment took us roughly one or two days.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend VMware Tanzu Greenplum. It's open-source and the support is great. It's also relatively cheap compared to similar solutions.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of ten — I really like it.

Download our free Data Warehouse Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Apache, Micro Focus, and more!
Updated: May 2022