We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

VMware Software Defined Data Center OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Software Defined Data Center is #2 ranked solution in top Software Defined Data Center vendors. PeerSpot users give VMware Software Defined Data Center an average rating of 10 out of 10. VMware Software Defined Data Center is most commonly compared to Azure Stack: VMware Software Defined Data Center vs Azure Stack. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is VMware Software Defined Data Center?

The VMware approach to the SDDC delivers a unified platform that supports any application and provides flexible control. The VMware architecture for the SDDC empowers companies to run hybrid clouds and to leverage unique capabilities to deliver key outcomes that enable efficiency, agility, and security. Enterprises using VMware technology have three ways to establish an SDDC and transition at their own pace: build their own using reference architectures; use a converged infrastructure; or use a hyper-converged infrastructure for which the full SDDC is delivered already implemented on the customer's hardware of choice.

VMware Software Defined Data Center was previously known as VMware SDDC.

VMware Software Defined Data Center Customers

ACI, Western Carolina University

VMware Software Defined Data Center Video

VMware Software Defined Data Center Reviews

BasheerAhmed
IT Infrastructure Strategy, Tranformation, & DC Operations, Data Science at KFMC
Installing the virtual environment takes little effort as it is easy to set up and configure
  • "It is very easy to do technology refreshments, patching, and upgrades with almost zero downtime. Its easy to bring servers online within few minutes."
  • "We would like to see more analytics, artificial intelligence (AI), and machine learning capabilities in their products."

What is our primary use case?

Server virtualization is the primary use case.

There were a few reasons we went with VMware virtualization:

• There were exponential demands from the business for servers, databases, applications, and quick availability.
  • Lack of data center facilities.
  • Time to setup, configure, and install the servers.

How has it helped my organization?

There have been many improvements in our virtualization strategy and roadmap. We started small and were able to satisfy our developers with quick infrastructure provisioning. It has allowed us to maintain uptime and availability.

Motioning is also very easy. We used vROps to create alerts that notify us whenever there are virtual machines powered on or off.

What is most valuable?

VMware has many features:

• It is easy to set up and configure.
  • Installing the virtual environment takes little effort.
  • Some of the great features that we found with VMware were availability, stability, uptime, and easy management.
  • With the CPU and Hot-Add RAM features, it was very easy to upgrade the system resources without any downtime.
  • Performance monitoring is easy. It is easy to troubleshoot and do a quick recovery of systems.
  • vMotion from one host to another is a great feature.
  • Converting physical servers to virtual servers is useful.

What needs improvement?

Another good feature would be to have predictive analytics and remote monitoring to monitor the virtual infrastructure with integrations to social media apps, like WhatsApp and others.

10 years.

We started by virtualizing about 10 servers, and now, have more than 500 servers.

We started with version 3.x , then moved on from that older version to newer versions as per VMware recommendations and the hardware performance guide. Now, we are mostly running the latest version (6.5).

It took less time to understand the architecture.

Microsoft Hyper-V and Citrix.

We tried Microsoft Hyper-V as a proof of concept. We found VMware to be more stable and adopted in the industry.

What other advice do I have?

It is great product. In the end, we are happy to have a stable infrastructure for our team and DevOps.

I recommend going with VMware for all of your critical applications.