Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

VMware Fusion OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Fusion is #8 ranked solution in top Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) tools. PeerSpot users give VMware Fusion an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. VMware Fusion is most commonly compared to VMware Workstation: VMware Fusion vs VMware Workstation. VMware Fusion is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 17% of all views.

Download the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is VMware Fusion?
VMware Fusion is a software hypervisor for Macintosh computers. VMware Fusion allows Intel-based Macs to run operating systems such as Microsoft Windows, Linux, NetWare, or Solaris on virtual machines, along with their Mac OS X operating system using a combination of paravirtualization, hardware virtualization and dynamic recompilation.
VMware Fusion Customers
NetApp
VMware Fusion Video

VMware Fusion Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware Fusion pricing:
  • "Starting with version 12, it is now free on a Mac for personal use. Fusion Pro has a cost."
  • "The cost varies depending on the season and whether it is scaled up or scaled down, but I would guess that it's approximately $1,000 per month."
  • VMware Fusion Reviews

Network Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
    Rock solid, more flexible than other solutions, and good support
    • "The whole point of it is to run Windows VMs on a Mac. This is the most valuable feature. There is snapshotting, but we don't really use that. The Pro version allows me to actually attach to the Windows ESXi infrastructure at the backend, and I'm able to create a session that I can attach to the VMware hooks at the backend, so one is running a VM, and the whole operating system is running on the actual Mac. The other one is literally a frontend to the VMs that are running in the infrastructure at the backend. These are the two main features I use."
    • "The way they handle snapshotting can be improved. One time, I moved a machine from one to another, and I tried to pull it up on the second machine, but it didn't work. This was because I had not cleaned up the snapshot before I deleted it and moved it across. So, when I tried to pull it up, it wouldn't let me bring it up. The backups for the VMs themselves can also be improved. I pretty much have to rely on Windows backups and not something on VMware. That's where it needs improvement. I am able to upload from my Fusion into the ESXi easily. I'm able to spin something up on Fusion and push it into the big arena, but the reverse is not as easy, that is, trying to pull something down from that. I would love to have a functionality where I could pull something from the VMware infrastructure into Fusion, but I'm not sure if I can take something from ESXi and pull it into Fusion."

What is our primary use case?

We're on Windows VM. We use it to run Windows machines on Mac. We are using the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to use pieces of equipment other than the Mac equipment in order to do our job. There are certain things that I can do on a Mac that I can't do on a Windows PC. I am able to support many Mac users with it.

I used to use a Windows desktop, and now I use a Mac desktop with a Windows VM on it. I like to have a backup. When I shut something down, and as long as I remember to get rid of the snapshots first, I can copy it and run it anywhere, which is not possible on a pure Windows desktop. You have to back it up or clone it. If I shut down the Windows VM and make a clone of the disk on the Mac, I can go somewhere else. I'll just boot the Mac from that. I've been able to do stuff that used to be on my desktop at work. When the hard drive failed on that, I'd already made a clone on it, so I was able to boot up under the Mac. It is not a capability of VMware Fusion. It is the capability of the Mac and the Mac OS. However, because I use VMware Fusion to run the Windows OS inside the Mac OS, I survived a hard drive crash. I was able to just go over to Mac and have an SSD on the outside using a Thunderbolt cable. I could just write to that disk. When I was done, I shut it down and brought it into work. I had the exact same desktop back and forth.

What is most valuable?

The Pro version allows me to actually attach to the Windows ESXi infrastructure at the backend, and I'm able to create a session that I can attach to the VMware hooks at the backend, so one is running a VM, and the whole operating system is running on the actual Mac. The other one is literally a frontend to the VMs that are running in the infrastructure at the backend. These are the two main features I use.

What needs improvement?

The way they handle snapshotting can be improved. One time, I moved a machine from one to another, and I tried to pull it up on the second machine, but it didn't work. This was because I had not cleaned up the snapshot before I deleted it and moved it across. So, when I tried to pull it up, it wouldn't let me bring it up.

I am able to upload from my Fusion into the ESXi easily. I'm able to spin something up on Fusion and push it into the big arena, but the reverse is not as easy, that is, trying to pull something down from that. I would love to have a functionality where I could pull something from the VMware infrastructure into Fusion, but I'm not sure if I can take something from ESXi and pull it into Fusion.

Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Parallels, Microsoft and others in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI). Updated: September 2022.
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for more than 12 years. It was version 3 when I started to use it. I use it on a daily basis both at home and professionally.

It is pretty rock solid.

It is scalable. We get a new Mac, we put it on there, and it is done.

When I have an issue, they're very good.

I've used Parallels before. We switched to VM Fusion because it is a part of the whole VMware infrastructure. If I added something in Parallels, I have to convert it to go over.

It is pretty much straightforward if you've got a single user on the box. If you have got more than one user on the box, then it gets a bit complicated, but it is generally pretty easy and straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Apple is now going for its own chips. They are not going to use Intel chips anymore, and right now, both Parallels and Fusion aren't ready to do that because that chip is an ARM thing, so they can't do Windows on the new Mac mini M1s till they get that straightened out. If you have got an Intel Mac, you're good.

My advice right now would be to download it for free. Use that instead of a VirtualBox or some of the other free stuff because it is more flexible than other solutions. There is support. There are tons of message boards and a lot of stuff out there about this solution.

I would rate VMware Fusion an eight out of ten.

Cybersecurity Student at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Simple to use, install, and maintain, with prompt technical support
    • "The most value that it provides is that it is versatile."
    • "I would like to see newer and updated cloud functions."

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware Fusion for networking servers, virtual servers, supporting internet web pages, and general virtual machine maintenance.

What is most valuable?

The most value that it provides is that it is versatile. It is easy to use.

I haven't run into anything that has caused me any problems. For the time being, it runs pretty well.

Updates are timely.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see newer and updated cloud functions.

I have been working with VMware Fusion for one year.

We are using the most recent version.

VMware Fusion is very stable.

VMware Fusion scales well.

In our company, we have 25 users. Their roles vary from IT, techs, analysts, cyber security specialists, coders, and cyber security analysts.

Technical support is quick to respond.

VMware Fusion is simple to deploy and easy to maintain.

We usually require one or two people to maintain this solution. It is easily maintained.

We don't have any issues with the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that they be familiar with a Windows server and Linux.

I would rate VMware Fusion a ten out of ten.

Download our free Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Parallels, Microsoft, and more!
    Updated: September 2022