IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Visual Studio Team System OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Visual Studio Team System is #7 ranked solution in top Software Configuration Management tools. PeerSpot users give Visual Studio Team System an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Visual Studio Team System is most commonly compared to IBM Rational ClearCase: Visual Studio Team System vs IBM Rational ClearCase.

Download the Software Configuration Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Visual Studio Team System?

Microsoft Visual Studio Team System is a platform for productive, integrated, and extensible software development life-cycle tools that helps software teams by improving communication and collaboration throughout the software development process.

Visual Studio Team System Customers

Bluegarden A/S, Tracasa, Rabobank Group, Borusan Otomotiv, Arelik, Alfa Bank

Visual Studio Team System Video

Archived Visual Studio Team System Reviews (more than two years old)

Fad Mohi - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Software Development Department at ACT
Good code management and sharing capability, but needs better integration with the documentation
  • "The most valuable feature is the code management, where there is sharing of code for developers and it is distributed within the organization."
  • "The user experience for the task assignment functionality, and more generally the software lifecycle development, needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Visual Studio Team System as part of our development environment. This is the core system to manage our code and our development life cycle.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to implementing this solution, we had a lot of fear of losing our code due to some kind of situation that was outside of our control. At the same time, our team was distributed between different regional locations both inside and outside of Lebanon. When we started using this tool, it was a great way to have full access to all that was being developed between different areas.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the code management, where there is sharing of code for developers and it is distributed within the organization.

We have lately been trying to use the built-in functionality for task management and software lifecycle development. This is a new feature and it is pretty good. We are just in the evaluation phase, comparing it to other task management tools.

What needs improvement?

The user experience for the task assignment functionality, and more generally the software lifecycle development, needs to be improved. This includes assigning tasks, as well as reviewing those that are pending or ongoing. For example, Jira has an excellent user experience, and it should be more like that.

We would like to see better integration of documentation.

Software Configuration Management
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, IBM, Perforce and others in Software Configuration Management. Updated: July 2022.
621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been working with this solution for about seven years.

We have ten people who use this solution in our company.

We have not been in contact with technical support.

Prior to this solution, we used to use Visual SourceSafe.

When we first implemented this solution, we had some hiccups because earlier versions needed SharePoint and a special Active Directory to be set up. It was not easy or straightforward. We had to separate our Active Directory and the company corporate directory into three directories. One for activities, one for the company, and one for the development team alone. In general, the older version was a little bit complicated. It took about one week to prepare and set it up.

The latest, cloud-based version is much better in terms of setup.

Our in-house team handled the implementation. The first time we deployed it, three people were involved in the process. Maintenance is not required for this solution and we have one system administrator.

We did not evaluate other options when we switched from SourceSafe to TFS.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to first decide what they need out of it. The benefit of each solution is becoming multidimensional. For example, TFS can be used for managing code, managing software, and lifecycle development. People have to decide which dimension they need to use and then focus on it. Later, they can go to explore and use other dimensions. Otherwise, they will lose a lot of time trying to learn and to adapt to the solution. This is the biggest lesson that we learned from our implementation. Once we mastered its use in one area, we moved on to the next.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Fast and responsive with a comprehensive functionality that is good for writing and debugging code
  • "IntelliSense and CodeLens are helpful because they can show you details about your function, such as how many times it is called from other places within the code."
  • "I would like to see the inclusion of more programming languages, especially better support for Java."

What is our primary use case?

I used this solution for software development, writing and debugging code.

What is most valuable?

What I like most is that it is a very comprehensive product.

IntelliSense and CodeLens are helpful because they help you (auto)complete your code, can show you details about methods, such as how many times it is called from other places within the code and where.

Debugging functionalities are useful too.

I also like the structure of how it creates solutions and programs.

Visual Studio is quite fast and responsive compared to some other programs that I have used.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the inclusion of more programming languages, especially better support for Java.

I have been using the 2015 edition for some four years. I started using the 2017 version more recently, perhaps four or five months ago.

I did have some issues with the 2015 version where on very few occasions it froze or just crashed. With the 2017 version, I have never had this problem. I have to say that with the 2017 version, the stability has improved.

We have perhaps 50 to 200 users in our company. We are spread over different locations and we have about 50 users here, whereas we have up to 200 globally.

I have never had the opportunity to speak with Microsoft directly because our company is supported by our internal group.

What other advice do I have?

The 2017 version is similar to 2015, they have added a few things. One difference is the setup experience, although it is not a groundbreaking change. I know that they have released a new version, 2019, that allows for sharing of what you see also remotely. You can work on code with your colleague who is developing somewhere else, remotely.

When it comes to this solution, I am not really missing anything I needed from an IDE.

Software Configuration Management
July 2022
621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jan Meeremans - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at Myriade
It is stable and scalable and the setup is really straightforward
  • "The solution is pretty stable."
  • "The technical support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to search for smugglers and for people who have open files. So we integrate everything with GDPR and then we distribute this in most parts of Europe. We have some interests in the United States too.

What is most valuable?

What I like about this solution is that it is one big framework, which everybody knows, so one can quite easily start-up new developers using it.

What needs improvement?

We are looking forward to the new Blazer system that is coming out soon. It is currently in beta on the service side, so we are looking forward to the new version that will be on the client side too. I also would like to see an improvement in the technical support.

I have been using Visual Studio Team System for more than ten years now.

The solution is pretty stable.

The solution is very scalable. We integrate this in SQL and we can do this vertically as well as horizontally; in both directions. We have 15 users that are using the regional pseudo team system within our company, and they are all developers.

We pay additional fees for support, and it is doable. It is not the best support, but it is definitely acceptable. That is perhaps something that needs to be improved.

We did the installation and setup ourselves and it was really straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to go all the way with this solution. Don't try to find a cheaper solution. On a scale from one to ten, I rate Visual Studio Team System an eight and I'm looking forward to the new Blazers system.

.Net and MES Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helps us to develop internal products for internal use and is complete solution with a complete set of features in one box
  • "The solution is very stable."
  • "I would say compared to some more modern tools which are made to work offline, with this solution you have to be connected all of the time and with a central server. In our case, it's not a big problem because we all work on-premises, but it can be an issue if you have teams in different locations."

What is our primary use case?

We are an industrial company so we use this program to develop internal products for internal use. We have a complete panel that develops it, and then we test and deploy.

What is most valuable?

What I like about this solution is that you have Source control that enables you to organize and track the production so that you know where you are in the development phase and so on. You can also make some continuous integration with it, so it is a complete solution with a complete set of features in one box. We don't even use all the features.

What needs improvement?

I would say compared to some more modern tools which are made to work offline, with this solution you have to be connected all of the time and with a central server. In our case, it's not a big problem because we all work on-premises, but it can be an issue if you have teams in different locations. Then you don't have synchronization. I would say it's the main problem - I would love to see a better way to work offline.

I think the new version allows you to choose to have different source control. But we use VPN, so we can bypass and still be connected to the company. So it's okay for us and we are on a very small scale, only ten users. So it's easy to manage.

I have been working on this program for about ten years now on premises.

The solution is very stable.

We are a small company with only 10 people, so it is scalable for us.

It was pretty easy to install, and we did it mainly on SQL, so we deployed it ourselves. We don't have a lot of machines running on it. The deployment took about 15 to 20 minutes. The deployment isn't complicated, as we work with the industrial factory that is producing. So we have to synchronize, and wait to start some processes. When we plan to deploy and we have to restart them afterwards.

What other advice do I have?

I like the performance management of this solution and my rating would be eight out of ten. The solution works for us but nowadays I would perhaps adviser others to use a cloud-based version like Microsoft DevOps.

The biggest lesson I've learned is you can have all the tools but you still have to manage the communication between developers. Even with the tools you can easily run into some issues with several people who work on the same parts of the projects. So it is very important to organize your sources the best you can. But keep the communication channels open.

Aaron Ibanez Werthermann - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Developer Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
It lets us know how much work is being done by the team and when the work will be approximately​ finished

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are managing campaign boards, sprint planning with product backlog, sprint backlog, and velocity and capacity of the development team. Also, the bar and chart graphics, which assist in tracking the day-to-day project status (most important).

How has it helped my organization?

Here in the organization, we use Chrome, with development. Also, when we are planning on sprint, for example, it's too easy to put the requirement needs above the product, and a product on that feels very good to write features too easily, and to share with the development team. Pretty quick and fast, by only writing the duration and assessment criteria and also uploading the make-ups related with the deliverables, the thing we have work with, and it also improves the communication because everybody sees the requirements. It is posted in the inbox and shares brainstorming ideas to 35 people, and how the requirement would be implemented. It's very easy to know the status of the funds of the project because the protocol will be accessible to the tools remotely and easily. He/she will review the bar down chart and know how much work is being done by the team and when the work will be approximately finished.

In the engineering area, we use an engineering process because they realize the campaign board will be very useful for consulting the deliverables of the engineering process because we develop elevators, cabinets, and also casétas used in electrical plants here in Mexico. Comisión Federal de Electricidad is our electricity plant. Our customers customize the products for us and we are introducing new product families. It's important to follow and manage the deliverables in time.

What needs improvement?

Many important features that are useful for an organization but I feel that even if it is improved, some of the features are not necessary.

I know the tools. I train people here by using these tools. Today, the software development team and some engineers in production are going to be using the tool. Yet I feel it is necessary to involve more time and practice with the tool here in the company.

I've been using that software for approximately six years.

It crashed many times, because in engineering there are a lot of phases.

For example, the first phase will be preparing the document specifications about the product while the second phase is preparing the design, at the same time the third phase is preparing the prototype and the fourth is doing the product implementation.

We have had technical support for about two months and we really like it, and they're great, too, but it's not necessary. But the response of the tech support is so far pretty good. However, I think in Mexico, for Latinos, the support is not good customer service support because the tech support was elevated to India (another country). I feel that here in Latin America it's necessary to improve the service.

I used the first solution in Southern Peru at Cooper Corporations. My new company in located in Lima, Peru. They needed to version in the source code control in Visual Studio. As a part of our consulting services, because I worked at a consulting company, I proposed to implement a version control tool, like Visual Studio Team Services. The thinking thing at that time, the product was changing or Visual Studio paid for the short server after that. I also recommended to use the tool because the project managers would also track the progressive work of the team and also the team would track activities we easily had in the tool. I mean, it's very important to follow or keep it in the mining company, too. For that reason, I recommended the tool.

The tool is not complex. It's medium, because there are a lot of new features that Microsoft delivered about three months ago. But it's easy for me to use the majority of features, as I feel there are new features that I am learning how to use and improve in the company.

I chose IBM Rational Team Concert because I worked in partner consulting. The tool was recommended and it was good, but I felt that it consumed a lot of our resources. It's not too easy to configure, but it managed the majority of things which Visual Studio Team Services performs. It's a very competitive tool, but it's expensive and also it consumes a lot of power.

What other advice do I have?

In regards to Latin America, there is a misunderstanding about application and data management versus software development lifecycle. There is too much confusion here. It is important to clarify what the difference is between the application and system management which it covers from requirements to delivering applications, including the bulk activities.

Download our free Software Configuration Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, IBM, Perforce, and more!
Updated: July 2022