IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Visual Studio Team System OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Visual Studio Team System is #7 ranked solution in top Software Configuration Management tools. PeerSpot users give Visual Studio Team System an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Visual Studio Team System is most commonly compared to IBM Rational ClearCase: Visual Studio Team System vs IBM Rational ClearCase.

Download the Software Configuration Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Visual Studio Team System?

Microsoft Visual Studio Team System is a platform for productive, integrated, and extensible software development life-cycle tools that helps software teams by improving communication and collaboration throughout the software development process.

Visual Studio Team System Customers

Bluegarden A/S, Tracasa, Rabobank Group, Borusan Otomotiv, Arelik, Alfa Bank

Visual Studio Team System Video

Visual Studio Team System Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Visual Studio Team System pricing:
"The price could be better."

Visual Studio Team System Reviews

TelgePeiris - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead / Project Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Scalable, flexible, and easy to set up
  • "Microsoft makes great products. They are quite robust."
  • "When you go into the front-end, the web portal, if, for example, you pick up an issue, it would be ideal if the branch was automatically created in the repository. Right now, this isn't the case."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for remote repository and management and source control.

What is most valuable?

The analyst feature is very useful to us.

We like that it's quite flexible and you can make a variety of changes using it. There are all kinds of different tasks you can leverage.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Microsoft makes great products. They are quite robust.

The solution can scale.

The stability is good.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it gets tough when you're dealing with a larger process if you're accessing it through the VPN. If you're not on the local network, you're accessing through the VPN, which already makes it slower in general, and then on top of that, if you're accessing a really large process, you're going to feel it slow down even more. The product sort of gets stuck when you're trying to connect and operate for the first time.

I've been using the solution over the last 12 months. I've used it for a while.

Software Configuration Management
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, IBM, Perforce and others in Software Configuration Management. Updated: July 2022.
619,967 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is pretty stable. I used it on an earlier job and it was fine. There were no bugs or glitches. It doesn't seem to crash or freeze. It's good overall.

The solution scales quite well. I've used it in larger companies and it was great. At my previous employer, I had 100 or more programmers and the product handled everything like a charm, no problem.

I've never had to contact technical support. I guess that says something about the quality of their service that I've never had to call them up. However, since I have never spoken with them, I can't directly speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

We found the initial setup to be pretty simple and straightforward. It was not very complex or difficult. An organization shouldn't have too much trouble with the initial setup.

We have an enterprise license. That's an aspect that the company handles. I don't directly deal with sales or licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I've been using the latest version of the solution.

For those considering the solution, I would advise that they decide between a centralized or distributed repository - and then choose VSTS. For a more centralized repository, VSTS is the nicest I've used so far.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've largely been happy with the solution overall.

Dynamics 365/Ax Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, straightforward to set up, stable, and scalable
  • "I am not familiar with any issues with respect to stability, and I have never seen Team System crash."
  • "I have seen customizations with Team System that allowed it to integrate into other ticketing systems like Jira, which would be a really nice feature to see."

What is our primary use case?

Visual Studio Team System is kind of ubiquitous in programming because it's also what a lot of systems use for their source control. It is generally used for source control and deployment, and I have a couple of clients that use it as their ticketing system. In this capacity, it is used for setting up features to be developed in running through their development processes.

What is most valuable?

This product is easy to use compared to Git, which is the alternative source control system that Microsoft is trying to push these days. Git is very difficult to use properly and it is not as feature-friendly as Team System used to be.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Visual Studio Team System for approximately 10 years.

I have never had any problems with scaling. My clients generally work on projects that have anywhere between one person and 80 people working on them.

I have never spoken with technical support.

I did use alternatives, but it was going back to 2005 or 2006 and I don't remember what it was that we used back then. These days, it is so ubiquitous for Visual Studio development that I would not even think about it.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. If it's in-house then you just deploy it to a server. I think that it comes with its own SQL database, as well. Then, you just link Visual Studio to the implementation and start adding files.

The installation is seamless as to what I usually do.

We have an in-house team for deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

The features are fine for what it is. It works very well. It's designed for a specific niche, which is a very big niche. In summary, this is a good product that is straightforward, easy to use, and manages well.

It's a fine product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Software Configuration Management
July 2022
619,967 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Process Manager at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
An easy to install solution which is scalable and stable
  • "The solution is scalable, stable and has allowed us to upgrade our frameworks."
  • "Support response time could stand improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The solution helps the project teams to take care of all aspects of the processes for software development.

What is most valuable?

All is fine with the solution. It is scalable, stable and has allowed us to upgrade our frameworks.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to see some of the authentications compacted to the solution which are done with Nudi.

Support response time could stand improvement.

The price could be better.

We have been using Visual Studio Team System for the last five years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

Response time could be faster.

We did not use other solutions prior to the current one.

Installation is easy.

While I do not recall its exact duration, this should be around four hours.

Installation can be done with the help of the technical team.

The size of the team should be the same as that which we used, three to four people, consisting of managers. We have one IT manager.

The solution could be more cost-effective.

There is an annual licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

If price is not a consideration, then my recommendation to others is that they go with the solution.

The solution is cloud-based.

I rate Visual Studio Team System as a seven or eight out of ten.

Download our free Software Configuration Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, IBM, Perforce, and more!
Updated: July 2022