Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

TIBCO Mashery API Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TIBCO Mashery API Management is #18 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give TIBCO Mashery API Management an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. TIBCO Mashery API Management is most commonly compared to Apigee: TIBCO Mashery API Management vs Apigee. TIBCO Mashery API Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is TIBCO Mashery API Management?

TIBCO Mashery Enterprise is a modern API platform for digital business that covers the entire API lifecycle.

TIBCO Mashery API Management was previously known as Mashery API Management.

TIBCO Mashery API Management Customers

uShip, Sabre, TouchTunes, Best Buy, Cisco, Comcast, athenahealth, Coca-Cola Enterprises, CentralIndex.com, Constant Contact, Edmunds.com, FoodEssentials, Getty Images, Klout, Rovi, Rotten Tomatoes, Sportradar, TomTom, ACTIVE.com

TIBCO Mashery API Management Video

TIBCO Mashery API Management Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TIBCO Mashery API Management pricing:
  • "Licensing is quite flexible."
  • "Its price is pretty reasonable. There are some lightweight API options available in the market, but given the feature set that TIBCO provides, its price is really reasonable."
  • TIBCO Mashery API Management Reviews

Mohsin Pathan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Associate Vice President - Solutions, presales & services at Bahwan CyberTek
    Is highly scalable, but monetization and analytics need improvement
    • "The control that we have and the security features are very valuable. With regard to API implementation or API orchestration, it works very well in the cloud because as soon as you create an API with one click, you can actually expose your APIs."
    • "Monetization is not that great in API management. You need customization. Improvements are needed with sandbox local as well as with monetization. Those features are missing."

What is our primary use case?

Mashery comes as a package bundle for all three components of API management, like API management, portal, and API gateway. That is, all three components are combined into one. When companies want to monetize the APIs or they want the partners to consume the APIs, then the API management solution comes into the picture. It makes it more flexible in exposing APIs, whether you have existing APIs or you want to create new APIs.

What is most valuable?

Also, in the case of an API that is created without a security feature, you can embed the security feature with API management without touching the API. In this way, it is very valuable to the customer because the customer can leverage those things very easily.

What needs improvement?

The developer portal is totally customized right now, and you need to have knowledge of JavaScript to actually create that. The integration between the platforms is not that great because you need to configure it manually.

Also, TIBCO Mashery API Management does not have orchestration in the API management platform. This is an area for enhancement.

Analytics need to be improved as well.

We've been dealing with this solution for four years.

September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about TIBCO, Google, MuleSoft and others in API Management. Updated: September 2022.
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's very stable.

It's highly scalable. You can add more containers, and then, it internally manages its load balancing. Horizontally and vertically, it is very flexible.

I would give technical support an eight out of ten.

TIBCO focuses a lot more on the cloud versions, but the local version still requires a lot of improvements. However, their engineers are not that focused on that. In terms of adding new features and functionalities, I would give them a six out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is a little bit complex because it runs on containers, and sometimes, TIBCO doesn't support those containers. Also, there are many components in Mashery, and it's not straightforward because they need to be running synchronously.

You will need two engineers for setting up the initial version and one person for maintenance.

The banks are leveraging Mashery API management to expose their APIs at the outset. They don't have to recreate the APIs they have already created. They can just simply expose it outside.

As a result, the ROI is really good because they can adopt a lot of digital channels and really control the partners and consumers who are actually consuming their APIs.

Licensing is quite flexible.

What other advice do I have?

You have to understand the role in your organization for API management so that you utilize the solution in the right way.

Mashery is a good product because it has a lot of functionalities and features, even though the local version does need more care.

Given that there are areas that require improvement, I would rate TIBCO Mashery API Management at seven on a scale from one to ten.

If you were to look at other products, Azure also doesn't have monetization capabilities. It's not that creative in API management because it's just a feature that Microsoft has provided to accommodate API management. It is not a great full fledged API management solution.

Google Apigee is a very heavy solution with more than 10 components. It's infrastructure is heavy, but it does have features and functionalities.

MuleSoft is light, but it can become very costly. The licensing model in MuleSoft is very tight, and the customer has to pay extra over a period of time.

Mohammed Aljazayeerly - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical and Delivery Manager (Integration) at United Delta
    It is easy to use, but the technical support and installation is not great
    • "It is easy to work with ."
    • "It lacks many features at the API gateway compared to other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We use TIBCO Mashery API Management for API gateway functionality and to add security and throttling. We also package and expose the API.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to work with but it is not stable. It is deployed in a containerized way using Docker, and we sometimes have issues that take a lot of time to resolve with the containerized part of the setup. If we open a ticket with TIBCO technical support, they respond by saying that it's not their code and they just support the product.

What needs improvement?

It lacks many features at the API gateway compared to other solutions like Google Apigee. However, most of the telecom operators in our region use TIBCO Mashery API Management, and the telecom business is very aggressive. TIBCO also lacks information and experienced resources to deal with the Mashery on-premises.

We have been using this solution for three years.

Stability is our concern because it's very complex to manage and handle. Based on our experience, the solution is not stable when deployed on-premises, but we haven't tried it on cloud.

The scalability is a bit of an issue. We didn't install it in high traffic, but we deployed it in the cluster of three powerful VMs.

The technical support is not great. Whenever we open a ticket for TIBCO Mashery API Management, they tell us that we need to upgrade all the products and don't provide a solution immediately. They say it is not their issue and that the problem is based on the Docker, which is not in their scoop. Every time we open a ticket, it is not resolved well.

The installation was very complex, requiring an expert to complete, and we worked with the TIBCO experts. Unfortunately, we couldn't find very experienced people to complete it in Europe because of the containerization and installation. Therefore, there is a lack of experience and resources to complete or support the solution's installation correctly.

In addition, if the machine is ready, VPN connectivity is required, and it takes about three to seven days for installation. We now work with a company here in the region called Bahwan Cybertek, and they provide resources. In addition, they provide support if we have any issues.

We interacted a bit with TIBCO Spotfire.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a six out of ten. If a user is going to use TIBCO Mashery API Management, they need to have experts for the containerized deployment, like Docker and OpenShift. If they have OpenShift, it will make it easier as they will have support from Red Hat.

September 2022
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Data Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Extremely high scalability and reliability, reasonable price, great support, and offers end-to-end API life cycle management
    • "When we did the product evaluation, we saw that TIBCO Mashery offers end-to-end API life cycle management. It provides all API features that are required for managing the complete life cycle. It includes the developer portal and tools for API monitorization. The out-of-box security features that TIBCO Mashery provides are enterprise-grade, which gives it an edge over other API products."
    • "They can fix some stability issues and probably make it more user-friendly so that not only an IT savvy person but an end-user can also easily navigate through this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We implement a lot of TIBCO solutions for our clients. Most of the use cases for this solution are generally around API monitorization and API security. Some of our clients also use it for building an API mesh.

We have deployed the latest version as well as the previous versions of this solution. We have on-premises deployments and public cloud deployments on AWS.

What is most valuable?

When we did the product evaluation, we saw that TIBCO Mashery offers end-to-end API life cycle management. It provides all API features that are required for managing the complete life cycle. It includes the developer portal and tools for API monitorization.

The out-of-box security features that TIBCO Mashery provides are enterprise-grade, which gives it an edge over other API products.

What needs improvement?

They can fix some stability issues and probably make it more user-friendly so that not only an IT savvy person but an end-user can also easily navigate through this solution.

I have been using this solution for four or five years.

There is nothing to be alarmed off. Of course, there are stability issues during the initial phase of the project, but they can be resolved easily. TIBCO support has been great so far.

It is pretty scalable. Because it is already containerized, its scalability and reliability are extremely high. We deal with medium and large businesses. Some of our clients are Fortune 500 companies.

TIBCO support has always been great. I would rate them a nine out of ten.

Previously, we were more of an Oracle shop. The product strategy roadmap of TIBCO for API gateway seemed more viable than Oracle. Therefore, we moved from Oracle to TIBCO.

It is pretty straightforward.

Its price is pretty reasonable. There are some lightweight API options available in the market, but given the feature set that TIBCO provides, its price is really reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

TIBCO API gateway is one of the best products available around this space. Anyone who is currently looking at API gateway should definitely consider evaluating TIBCO Mashery.

I would rate TIBCO Mashery API Management an eight out of ten.

IT Projects & Governance Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    It's a stable solution for integrating mobile applications with our services

What is our primary use case?

I use Mashery to integrate mobile applications with my services.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of Mashery is its stability.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see TIBCO integrate authentication and security features into Mashery.

I've been using Mashery for one year.

Mashery is scalable, but it depends on the environment. I am running it on-prem, so it's limited by my hosting ability. It's scalable, but I am finding some limitations with my environment. My environment is old. I am using the open-source version of Kubernetes on top of old hardware. It's an issue with my environment, not TIBCO. We're a relatively large enterprise with between 500 and 1,000 employees.

Before TIBCO, we had a custom API management solution that we created ourselves. We switched to TIBCO because it had a lot of features.

Setting up Mashery is easy, but it takes time, especially the configuration. I need one or two only technicians to maintain it.

TIBCO technical support assisted us. They were very helpful.

What other advice do I have?

I rate TIBCO Mashery nine out of 10.

Download our free API Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about TIBCO, Google, MuleSoft, and more!
    Updated: September 2022