We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Teledyne LeCroy Oscilloscopes OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Teledyne LeCroy Oscilloscopes?

Teledyne LeCroy's oscilloscopes offer a powerful combination of large and informative displays combined with advanced waveshape analysis capabilities - typically tailored to enhance the productivity of engineers in specific applications areas such as serial data test, disk drive test and automotive bus analysis.

Teledyne LeCroy Oscilloscopes was previously known as WaveSurfer Series, HDO Series.

Teledyne LeCroy Oscilloscopes Video

Archived Teledyne LeCroy Oscilloscopes Reviews (more than two years old)

Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
It has helped me to improve my design on PCIe PETracers, but I need more technical details on what each packet represents
  • "Checking how many errors were on the channel by using the protocol analyzer has helped me to improve my design on PCIe PETracers."
  • "I would like more technical details on what each packet represents and more information on the flow."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for debugging PCIe PETracers. We are using it to measure PCI Express signals.

We are using it to support connect devices in enterprise products.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Protocol Analyzer for protocol testing.

The user interface is good, neat, intuitive, and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like more technical details on what each packet represents and more information on the flow.

The protocol side needs more improvement.

We are not using the full bandwidth of the product.

It's not field upgradable.

The technical support helped me go over the Protocal Analyzer, analyzing the PCIe PETracers, etc. I have been satisfied working with them.

There was a learning curve for a few days, but the support guys helped me to analyze the tracers.

When we did an evaluation of vendors, Teledyne was first among of them, then Keysight.

We did demos, where I learned how to use the products.

What other advice do I have?

Teledyne is pretty good because they cover all the technical webinars. Also, they give a lot of seminars.

The application space that we are using the solution to target is high-speed serial. For PCIe 3.0, we are looking at the PCIe add-on card with the analyzer in-between.

Packaging R&D Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
We are able to capture the transient domain accurately. I would like them to add more post processing capabilities.
  • "We are able to capture the transient domain accurately. There are some technical features where you can do FFT."
  • "Since we do a lot of post processing when we download our waveforms to our computers, we need more post processing capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for testing IT files. We are testing files for memory read or write (or other scenarios), but mostly it is on the platform, test package, of both.

The bandwidth is up to 10 gigabytes per second for the oscilloscope because we are testing high speed signals.

I'm not a frequent user. Sometimes we use the oscilloscope for measurement. It depends on product and what testing that we are trying to do.

I have used oscilloscopes since I was a Bachelor's student, where we used different types of oscilloscopes.

How has it helped my organization?

A common practice: We use oscilloscopes to test for how many transient view forms there are and what the transient response for memory read or write process is. We want to ensure that we all meet all the specs for our product design. Therefore, it's definitely beneficial to use oscilloscopes.

Going forward, we definitely want to do more measurements to validate how our product works.

What is most valuable?

We are able to capture the transient domain accurately. There are some technical features where you can do FFT, and do a little post processing.

What needs improvement?

I would like them to add more post processing capabilities (e.g., with new product specifications).

Our solution is field upgradable.

For memory interface, we are probably not using the full bandwidth. However, for the high speed interface, we definitely want more bandwidth.

For technical support, we can call online or send an email, which is good.

If we have issues, we will send the oscilloscope for validation or to be fixed. We have someone who deals with these type of issues. We haven't found too many issues for it yet.

If a new product becomes more capable and has a competitive price, then it is possible we might switch to a new brand. We would do demos and validation to see the functionality along with all types of evaluations before buying a product.

What other advice do I have?

It meet our basic needs. Since we do a lot of post processing when we download our waveforms to our computers, we need more post processing capabilities.

If you have used oscilloscopes before, no matter the brand, it's probably easy to learn. The panel may be different, but it's easy to ramp up on the new model.

This user interface is good. Most of the oscilloscopes that I have used have good user interfaces.

The application space that we are using the solution to target is mostly high-speed signaling or memory interface.

I would encourage people to use it and get some experience to see how they feel using it and how they like it.

Staff Engineer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
It has a lot of scope trigger options for capturing waveforms
  • "It has a nice high-resolution screen. It is easy to set up the scope triggers, has a lot of scope trigger options for capturing waveforms, and seamlessly goes into the spectrum analysis mode."
  • "They could always work on the software stability of the products, particularly now that everything has switched over to a Windows-based interface. It creates a lot of crashes and bugs, which typically is a problem among all instruments."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is a lot of test and measurement debugging.

We have a number of the LeCroy real-time scopes. We often use the 4 gigabyte real-time 12-bit scope.

The application space that this solution targets is high-speed. Our product is 56G, but debug would be lower speed, PCIe channels, USB, and I2C.

What is most valuable?

It's a fairly multi-purpose instrument. It has a nice high-resolution screen. It is easy to set up the scope triggers, has a lot of scope trigger options for capturing waveforms, and seamlessly goes into the spectrum analysis mode. It has a number of features which are fairly useful.

The user interface has the HD screen, which is nice. It has a well laid out front panel design and nicely, integrated 4-channel inputs, which are easy to use for a switch between coaxial and probes.

More than five years.

They could always work on the software stability of the products, particularly now that everything has switched over to a Windows-based interface. It creates a lot of crashes and bugs, which typically is a problem among all instruments. This is an area that could be improved.

The bandwidth is pretty expensive on these instruments, so we typically use it all.

The technical support is very good. They get back to you in a half a day to inside of a day. There have been no issues with the tech support.

We have used a lot of Keysight's instruments. These are our two main vendors currently.

We did get a demo and have stuck with the LeCroy ecosystem at this point for our real-time scopes.

They're fairly competitive for pricing across the industry.

What other advice do I have?

I would totally recommend this product.

It's a pretty advanced product. Therefore, the learning curve does require some learning, but once you've mastered it, it's worth it.

They're pretty good at keeping up with all the latest advances.

As our budget permits, we'd obviously like to upgrade to higher speeds and real-time scopes.

Product Architect at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
By pre-qualifying test devices, we're able to make changes before committing to silicon
  • "The most valuable feature is the embedded protocol analysis."
  • "The interconnect methods to the device are a little limited right now. I'd like to see other ways of being able to connect to the device."

What is our primary use case?

PCI express certification and testing are our primary use cases.

How has it helped my organization?

By pre-qualifying test devices with the tool, we're able to go back and make design changes before committing to silicon.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the embedded protocol analysis. Also, the user interface is logically laid out. It has a lot of nice features for formatting and editing.

What needs improvement?

Deeper memory is always useful to us for longer sample times.

In addition, the interconnect methods to the device are a little limited right now. I'd like to see other ways of being able to connect to the device.

More than five years.

I just call or send an email to the vendor directly. They're located right here in the Valley.

What other advice do I have?

There are external modules that go with the product, which you connect to, to help get your testing worked out.

Director of Marketing & Product Planning at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
We heavily use it to validate the design assumption
  • "We heavily use it to validate the design assumption. In many cases, it was able to point out things that were not available to us in simulation."
  • "I would like them to be current with the latest standards. So, as soon as a new standard comes in, ensure that it gets rolled into the existing software."

What is our primary use case?

We are using anything that's 10 gigahertz plus for signal integrity.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Easy to set up
  • Easy to capture
  • High fidelity of the data.

What needs improvement?

I would like them to be current with the latest standards. So, as soon as a new standard comes in, ensure that it gets rolled into the existing software.

More than five years.

For the part, we are using the full bandwidth of the product.

My team is constantly contacting our SME or sales to talk about concerns or specific know-how about how to go about doing something. Or, how to go about fixing something that's a behavior which is just difficult. Even just to say, Is this real? Does this need calibration? Is there something wrong? How would you be able to do X, Y, or Z?"

Typically, we don't switch as often in terms of brands because we do have a lot of software that we build up on a specific platform. What happens is the speed of the standards that we have increases, then the hardware starts to run out of speed and we have to go upgrade to the next faster hardware.

I would like them to include a lot of the add-on options as part of the package. Typically, we start in at a price, and by the time we add up all the options that we need which are available, we are at double or triple the original price. While the base pricing is okay, but when you add up all the options, it gets pricey.

We evaluate all the vendors every time because the capital equipment expenditure is expensive. So every two or three years, when we upgrade hardware, we go back and evaluate all the vendors, then decide what is the best solution.

It is about who has a meaningful price, the right level of features that we need, and can provide the support that we need.

We always get equipment in for an evaluation. Usually a month is sufficient for us to run all our evaluations.

What other advice do I have?

We haven't gone wrong by sticking to the major brands.

The user interface is pretty straightforward.

The application space that the solution targets is mostly high-speed serial.

We are using this product with connection devices. We use this product mostly for silicon validation, making sure that the silicon that we have is behaving how we expect it and meets our standard or exceeds it. So, it's about the hardware being able to conform to specification.

We are mostly measuring interface and high-speed signals.

It's functional. It works. It meets our requirements. However, like most capital equipment, it is good enough for three to five years, then you just have to go on to the next thing.