Tanium OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Tanium is the #8 ranked solution in top Vulnerability Management tools, #10 ranked solution in top Server Monitoring tools, #16 ranked solution in EDR tools, and #30 ranked solution in endpoint security software. PeerSpot users give Tanium an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. Tanium is most commonly compared to Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager: Tanium vs Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. Tanium is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.

Download the EPP (Endpoint Protection for Business) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Tanium?

Tanium Endpoint Platform reduces security risk, improves agility & increases efficiency, a fundamentally new approach to endpoint security's threat detection, indicent response, vulnerability assessment and configuration compliance & with management's software distribution, asset utilization, asset inventory and patch management.

Tanium Customers

JPMorgan Chase, eBay, Amazon, US Bank, MetLife, pwc, Cerner, Delphi, MGM Grand, New York Life

Tanium Video

Tanium Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Tanium pricing:
  • "It is higher than some competitors in the market."
  • "It's an expensive solution. It would be nice if the cost were lower."
  • "There is an annual license required to use this solution."
  • "Tanium is a more expensive solution in Latin America than some of the competitors, such as BigFix."
  • Tanium Reviews

IT Security Manager at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Great inventory tool that that scans well for vulnerabilities and offers minimal end-user disruption
    • "For incident response tasks, all these tasks can get done in minutes with minimal disruption to the end-user."
    • "The solution can give a lot of false positives."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for inventory and incident response for the most part.

What is most valuable?

The inventory aspect of the solution has been the product's most valuable aspect for us so far.

The scalability is very good overall.

It's a really good tool.

For inventory purposes, it's from one of the best things on the scene, as you can get live inventory.

I like the architecture for a vulnerability scan, for example, as it doesn't put a whole lot of load on the asset. It basically queries. This is not a hub-and-spoke. It's more like a circling of the wagons that all the other assets in the circle or in that particular chain can report on things, that have not logged into Tanium, can report on each other, can grab near real-time data. For incident response tasks, all these tasks can get done in minutes with minimal disruption to the end-user.

What needs improvement?

The solution can give a lot of false positives. It's an aspect of the solution that could be looked at and worked on.

If you deploy all the threat intelligence rules that come with it, you may spend a lot of time suppressing some of the false positives as some of them are very vague. You'll have the indicators due to the fact that you can suppress by hash or by pass or by command and parents process. However, that information is often very limited. You may get an alert for common language image load which can be a hacker technique, however, it's also a normal process between valid Microsoft processes, between the Msiexec, or some sort of system process.

It's frustrating that there's not enough data - at least that I've found - to be able to determine whether something is a false positive or true positive. Whether it should be suppressed or whether you should let it go, the number of false positives you may have to deal with, if you enable all of these sources, could be over a hundred thousand.

The scalability can be challenging, depending on a company's setup.

The ability to calculate risk with one query would be useful. In other words, to be able to combine known vulnerabilities on an asset with known threats that are targeting that vulnerability from Intel.

Being able to determine some way or another, which processes you prefer would be ideal. There should be more access to automated processes. Somehow you should be able to determine the business value of that asset and be able to have a true risk meaning and a true way to bubble up these high-value, high-risk assets. They need to get more attention. The solution needs some sort of risk engine that takes into account threat vulnerability and business value.

I've been using the solution for less than a year. It hasn't been that long.

EPP (Endpoint Protection for Business)
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Tanium, CrowdStrike, HCL and others in EPP (Endpoint Protection for Business). Updated: November 2022.
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is actually quite good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is reliable.

The scalability isn't as straightforward as it seems in that adding more assets. Sometimes it depends on where those assets are - such as remote offices that have different controls. If it's a large organization that has bought other businesses, then there are different architectures and different protections and protocols. In that sense, Tanium may have difficulty with some of those different architectures due to the fact that you may have to go and troubleshoot one type also another. Of course, the most painful part is having to put RDP into assets and try and restart the services.

The technical support on offer is below average.

For some of our other systems, I have a phone number I can call. I wait a few minutes, I get a ticket, I get a live agent. Then we troubleshoot live. Tanium doesn't have that. Instead, you can send in an email and when the technical support person has time, your cam will contact you. It's painful, that part, they get a C-rating on their level of support. We aren't quite satisfied.

I can't speak to the implementation process. I can't comment on if it was a difficult or straightforward process or how long the deployment actually took.

I can't speak to if the solution was delivered by a consultant or integrator or if it was handled in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and end-user.

We are using the most current version of the solution in our organization at this time.

I'm not sure how the solution is typically deployed.

It's great for inventory and even incident response. It's right up there with some other top-notch products. However, in terms of the implementation, getting everything on board, all that sort of thing, a company initially setting it up is going to need help troubleshooting. I would advise a company takes the time to definitely engage with some sort of professional services. It's going to be required.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Founder at a construction company with 11-50 employees
    Robust, and functional, but the technical support, and pricing could be improved
    • "The most valuable features of this solution are the consolidation of all historical data on device endpoints, security drivers, firmware, and Software version gaps."
    • "It is not really additional functions, or the features that are needed, rather the complexity would be reduced based on the number of modules required to put together a comprehensive operational security and risk compliance model."

What is our primary use case?

There are some very compelling use cases. A value proposition.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the consolidation of all historical data on device endpoints, security drivers, firmware, and Software version gaps.

Things that are sometimes overlooked within an IT support, operational, and security model framework, and all of that being consolidated into a multi-view and multi-windows dashboard.

What needs improvement?

The problem or challenge is a pre-sales and go-to strategy for the SMB market delivered through a channel or model.

It's very convoluted and vague, which leads to some confusion about the various types of modules, and the device-to-seat cost is extremely difficult to calculate.

You could have six different modules with 15 to 20 different device counts, which raises some red flags regarding service support and operational operations availability.

To be honest, I don't have enough time in the seat, or on the technology, to say whether or not there is a gap in terms of function or software.

It is not really additional functions, or the features that are needed, rather the complexity would be reduced based on the number of modules required to put together a comprehensive operational security and risk compliance model.

We are not really using it. As part of what my company does, we provide executive-level advisory and consulting services based on these types of products and other products in the marketplace. We are not end-users, rather we are, a service delivery, and integrator, as well as an executive business and operational technology alignment company.

We last worked with our clients on this solution in the last 30 days.

The version is the endpoint security and point management suite under a thousand seats.

The client hasn't used it long enough to know whether it's stable or not. It is reasonably stable, but it does not provide long-term stability or service to this software. I don't have enough working time on it.

Tanium is a scalable product.

Technical support is lacking.

I would rate the technical support a three out of five.

That is not necessarily people; it's the service window.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

HPE Simplivity, Nutanix Acropolis AOS, and VMware vSAN are all available. I don't have much experience. The research was being done as part of an inquiry on a consulting engagement for one of my clients.

We are working with Rapid Seven, and Crowdsource.

It's hosted by a third party on an MSP cloud platform.

This is not a light switch. It is probably a four on the level of complexity.

It may take up to 60 days to implement.

There is an on-premises version, but it is only available for more than a thousand seats through an appliance model.

It is not inexpensive.

It is higher than some competitors in the market. However, it appears to be more robust and functional to me.

Aside from the standard licensing fees, there are significant additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

Some of the current topics of interest include software as a service based on cyber risk and cyber security. But I would say that would be the most, one of the most prevalent.

I would suggest doing your due diligence.

I am an independent consultant.

I would rate Tanium a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
    EPP (Endpoint Protection for Business)
    November 2022
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Mo Vermeiren - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cybersecurity Business & Technology Consultant at Capgemini
    Is able to make several campaigns work in parallel, but the user interface needs improvement
    • "I like the fact that you can create patching campaigns depending on the area of your network that you want to address first. I like the ability it has to make several campaigns that work in parallel."
    • "The most painful thing is the interface. It's a bit unclear sometimes."

What is our primary use case?

It's mainly used by the cybersecurity team for Windows patching and deployment of some software solutions.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that you can create patching campaigns depending on the area of your network that you want to address first. I like the ability it has to make several campaigns that work in parallel.

Tanium is easy to use as well.

What needs improvement?

The most painful thing is the interface. It's a bit unclear sometimes.

The user interface also has to be more secure. If the end users are trying to patch a whole set of machines, they should be warned that it's going to be a deployment on the huge environment.

I've been using it for two years now.

It is a stable solution.

The scalability is perfect.

We have a direct relationship with Tanium, so we have an educated technical account manager.

The deployment is simple.

We have four people for deployment and maintenance: one for the server and the complete functionality, one for the patch manager to create the campaigns, and two from the IT team for the deployment and to address issues if there are any.

We deployed it ourselves.

It's an expensive solution. It would be nice if the cost were lower.

What other advice do I have?

Try the solution on a reduced scale to get used to the interface so that you don't make mistakes that can be harmful to your environment.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Tanium at seven.

Sr Manager - Information Security & Researcher at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Useful features, highly scalable, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

Tanium is used for network security. We can acquire files, detect malicious file-related activities, and process-related activities in our environment.

What is most valuable?

Threat hunting is a very good feature on Tanium. We have just started using it and have not used it extensively.

What needs improvement?

The performance could improve in future releases. We have had performance issues in specialized web environments, but overall I think the problems are less than 2% of the computer systems being used.

I have been using Tanium for a few months.

The stability is good but it could still improve.

Tanium is highly scalable.

We have approximately 7,000 laptops and 40,000 regular systems that we have deployed Tanium on.

I have used other security solutions, such as CrowdStrike Falcon and HX FireEye.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We have a security engineering team of four people that does the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

There is an annual license required to use this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Tanium a six out of ten.

Santiago Mantilla - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Information Technology Security Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Beneficial patch management, useful inventory and distribution
    • "Tanium's most valuable features are patch management, inventory, and distribution software."
    • "The main issues are the network connection because different customers have issues with their networks. It's difficult implementing this type of solution because the network is the main feature in the architecture for these types of solutions. Tanium could improve by creating some network optimization."

What is our primary use case?

Tanium can be deployed on the cloud and on-premise.

What is most valuable?

The upgrades in Tanium are easy because it is in the cloud. The upgrades are embedded in the solution, they do the upgrades. When the customer does not use the application and it's no problem. When using other solutions you need to do the upgrades through a technical team, that can apply the upgrades when agreed with the customer.

What needs improvement?

The main issues are the network connection because different customers have issues with their networks. It's difficult implementing this type of solution because the network is the main feature in the architecture for these types of solutions. Tanium could improve by creating some network optimization.

I have been using Tanium for approximately one year.

The support Tanium provides could improve by reducing the delay times for issue responses.

Tanium is a more expensive solution in Latin America than some of the competitors, such as BigFix.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Tanium an eight out of ten.

Download our free EPP (Endpoint Protection for Business) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Tanium, CrowdStrike, HCL, and more!
    Updated: November 2022