IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Talend Open Studio OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Talend Open Studio is #4 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give Talend Open Studio an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Talend Open Studio is most commonly compared to SSIS: Talend Open Studio vs SSIS. Talend Open Studio is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
Talend Open Studio Buyer's Guide

Download the Talend Open Studio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Talend Open Studio?

Talend Open Studio is a free, open source ETL tool for data integration and Big Data. The solution enables you to extract diverse datasets and normalize and transform them into a consistent format which can be loaded into a number of third-party databases and applications.

Talend Open Studio Features

Talend Open Studio has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Automatic identification of data types and potential errors
  • tMap module
  • Graphical conversion tools
  • Charts
  • Database SCD Tools
  • Business intelligence formats (Jasper, OLAP, SPSS, Splunk)
  • ETL and ELT support
  • Eclipse-based development tooling
  • Versioning
  • Large library of connectors
  • Data flow orchestration
  • File management without scripting
  • Data transformations

Talend Open Studio Benefits

There are several benefits to implementing Talend Open Studio. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Reduces the time taken to develop the integration.
  • Provides a wide selection of source and target connectors.
  • Monitor and manage problematic deployments with ease.
  • Allows developers to have the lowest cost of ownership for any solution.
  • Improves collaboration between different teams who need access to data.
  • Automated data integration process synchronizes the data and eases real time and periodic reporting, which would be time-consuming if done manually.
  • Achieve better data quality because data matures and improves over time.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the Talend Open Studio solution.

Elio B., Data Integration Specialist/CTO at Asset messages, says, "The solution has a good balance between automated items and the ability for a developer to integrate and extend what he needs. Other competing tools do not offer the same grade of flexibility when you need to go beyond what is provided by the tool. Talend, on the other hand, allows you to expand very easily."

A Practice Head, Analytics at a tech services company mentions, “The data integration aspect of the solution is excellent. The product's data preparation features are very good. There's very useful data stewardship within the product. From a technical standpoint, the solution itself is pretty good. There are very good pre-built connectors in Talend, which is good for many clients or businesses, as, in most cases, companies are dealing with multiple data sources from multiple technologies. That is where a tool like Talend is extremely helpful.”

Prerna T., Senior System Executive at a tech services company, comments, “The best thing I have found with Talend Open Studio is their major support for the lookups. With Salesforce, when we want to relate our child objects to their parent object, we need to create them via IDs. Then the upsert operation, which will allow you to relate a child object to the event, will have an external ID. That is the best thing which keeps it very sorted. I like that.”

An Implementation Specialist, Individual Contributor at a computer software company, states, “I can connect with different databases such as Oracle Database or SQL Server. It allows you to extract the data from one database to another. I can structure the data by filtering and mapping the fields.” He also adds, “It is very user-friendly. You need to know the basics of SQL development or SQL queries, and you can use this tool.”

PeerSpot user Badrakh V., Information System Architect at Astvision, explains, "The most valuable features are the ETL tools."

Talend Open Studio was previously known as Open Studio.

Talend Open Studio Customers

Almerys, BF&M, Findus

Talend Open Studio Video

Archived Talend Open Studio Reviews (more than two years old)

Solution Principal at DXC
Easy to use, but the data management platform needs improvement and it needs better integrations
  • "The most interesting aspect of the solution for us is that Talend Open Studio has a good balance between the features and the cost of the data management platform."
  • "The solution should offer better integration with other products."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for the solution depends on the customer, however, most likely in my case, the industry it would be under would be oil and gas.

What is most valuable?

The most interesting aspect of the solution for us is that Talend Open Studio has a good balance between the features and the cost of the data management platform.

It's easy to use Talend with our customers due to the fact that we can introduce and upsell clients to other kinds of subscriptions.

What needs improvement?

The solution's data management platform needs improvement. I like the data catalog, however, sometimes it requires other components.

The solution should offer better integration with other products.

I've been working with the solution in different projects for my customers probably for the last six years.

Talend Open Studio
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Talend Open Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I don't know if there are any glitches or bugs on the system. I'm not sure if the solution is stable. I haven't heard any complaints or feedback from any of our clients.

I'm not sure how the scalability is on the solution. I personally have never tried to scale it. Our clients haven't mentioned having issues, although I don't know if they've tried to scale it out either.

We have about five people working with Talend directly in our organization.

I've never tried to contact technical support. I don't have any feedback as to the quality of their services.

I wasn't part of the initial setup. I'm not sure if the implementation was complex or straightforward.

The deployment part of the implementation was easy if I recall correctly. We had no problems there at all.

What other advice do I have?

We have a partnership agreement with Talend.

While I mostly use the on-prem deployment, for new opportunities, I'm beginning to move towards the cloud.

I would recommend this solution. I don't have an opinion about Talend in a big data environment, however. For example, we've got an Azure kind of environment. I don't have a clear idea if it is the best choice for those particular situations.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If it had better integration to ensure it was up to a government's required quality levels, I'd give it higher marks.

Badrakh V - PeerSpot reviewer
Information System Architect at Astvision
Straightforward to set up, stable, and the ETL tools are good
  • "The most valuable features are the ETL tools."
  • "The user interface could be made simpler."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ETL tools.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be made simpler.

If I am comparing to MuleSoft, there are several things that are easier, such as the integration, as well as any connection to the database, or other data source.

In the next release, I would like to see the same simplicity for many of the same functionalities.

I have been using Talend Open Studio for about one year.

The stability is good. My colleagues in Canada recommended the use of this product in banking systems because of the stability.

We have not been in contact with technical support. Any problems that we have had so far, we have been able to solve by searching with Google.

We did not use a similar solution prior to Talend Open Studio, although we are planning on switching to MuleSoft.

The initial setup is not complex. It takes approximately one week to deploy.

We have our own team for the maintenance of Talend Open Studio.

From the start, we were planning on using MuleSoft, but they don't sell to residents of Mongolia.

We used the MuleSoft community edition, and for me, it's better than Talend. In my opinion, Mule is more user-friendly and Talend can be complex.

Our backup plan was Talend.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is that I recommend it and they should try using it. It's not bad and if they know Java and it might be simple for them.

Talend Open Studio
July 2022
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Manager MI & BI (Senior Vice President) at Faysal Bank Limited
User-friendly, but technical support and customer service need to be improved
  • "This is a user-friendly solution that is easy to use."
  • "Technical support and customer service need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Talend for ETF functions in connection with our RDBMS system.

We are in the process of moving from RDBMS to Big Data, so we may not be using Talend in the future.

What is most valuable?

This is a user-friendly solution that is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

We need to use a more complete solution that includes data governance, data quality, data lineage, data classification, and data security. At a minimum, they should include some data quality rules and functionality, and perhaps some login features.

Technical support and customer service need to be improved.

There is no log available.

We have been using Talend Open Studio for about two years.

We have had no issues with stability.

Scalability hasn't been a problem.

We have never received responses to our queries from the company, so we are totally unsatisfied with the support.

We are using the Community version of Talend, which has some limited functionality.

The paid version of this solution has a very high price, but even with the limitations, the Community version works fine.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good solution. Of course, there is lots of room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Irshad Ahamed - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good solution for data parsing and processing big data
  • "It's a good tool. It has the ability to take apart and install whatever we need. It's very good for data, transformation, and loading."
  • "We don't get continuous replication of the data."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for creating an information hub for the bank database.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We don't get continuous replication of the data. This is something that should be improved. Other competitors have it but for this solution continuous replication is lagging.

I have been using Data Fabric for the past year.

It's quite good for processing big data. We don't have any issues with stability.

Scalability is quite good.

We have contacted their technical support. It's good. We have a Talend expert in-house who handles most of the problems we need help with.

The initial setup is very straightforward for us. We have one file size as it is.

Pricing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

If you want an information hub, this is a good solution but if you want continuous replication, I wouldn't recommend this solution. Talend is a good tool for data parsing.

I'd rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because of the continuous replication.

Board Member at a real estate/law firm with 1-10 employees
Great for creating customized ETL jobs but sometimes is a little slow

What is our primary use case?

I'm a board member of our company and we are a customer of Talend. Our primary use case at the moment is working on data migration projects, migrating data from different databases and consolidating them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is being able to create custom ETL jobs. We're sold on the customization part of it.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in the performance - it gets the job done but it can be a bit slow, but then it is a free product. For now, it does the job that we need and we're quite happy with it.

I've been using the solution for over a year.

In terms of stability, I find that from time to time, the memory is not enough. I think it's a hardware issue.

For now, our requirements aren't that big and we didn't buy the solution for that aspect of it. If we do need to scale, we'll just add another workstation for additional jobs.

We haven't availed ourselves of technical support yet so I don't know.

Setup was fairly simple, it took about half a day.

We used internet sources for implementation. Two of us worked on it and only one person is required for maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.

Senior Data Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Presents an easy and understandable way to implement data quality features and ensures data quality
  • "Talend Studio has the ability to use it to ensure data quality."
  • "The technical support and documentation need a lot of work to come up to standard."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for broader data synchronization, data storage, data transformation, data integration, and other data processing.

What is most valuable?

The feature I like most of all in Talend Studio is the ability to use it to ensure data quality. I like the product because it presents an easy and understandable way to implement data quality features. I license the product specifically because of its ability to handle that type of routine.

What needs improvement?

I do not have so many issues with the product itself but when I do and I contact technical support, the technical support has not always been very good. At times I have had to wait too long to get a solution from them — sometimes even months rather than days. Technical support should definitely be improved.

I think the user interface is an advantage in Talend Open Studio because it is really very good. However, while I am working I sometimes notice a bunch of very minor faults or omissions in the functionality. I see them while working and I don't keep a list so I can not go into many details. But there are a lot of very minor glitches and functional inconsistencies that do not affect the results very much, but if they can be fixed it will improve the system and utility. For example, if I make an FTP connection, I can not use a context variable to define parameters. This feature is just not available and it should be. If such minor gaps are fixed, it would be a much better product and quicker and easier to use.

One other thing that can be improved is that it would be good to have more information on the internet for users to assist with problem-solving and use. I think that there is a lot of information out there but at the same time, it seems like a lot of the information is not the most relevant to what a user really needs. I would advise people coming to the product as new users to read the documentation thoroughly and as much as possible, but I would also hope that the standard and quality of that documentation will be improved by Talend.

I have been working with this product for approximately six months.

We currently have approximately 10 users who are using this solution in our company. In the future we may have plans to increase this usage but that depends on how our needs grow. It does not seem like scaling usage will be an issue.

The customer support is one of the biggest issues I have with the product. The support itself is not always very quick to resolve issues, and that itself is a problem. But also the available information for the product needs to be improved. There is a lot of information, but not all of it is very good.

The initial setup for Talend Open Studio is pretty straightforward. The deployment of any particular job does not take too long. It would be approximately one month in almost every situation.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this solution as an eight out of ten. To give the product a higher score they would have to improve several things. This would start with improving technical support.

As far as advice that I have for people considering this solution, I think that this is a very good product which will be able to resolve most peoples' business needs. I recommend it for use depending on your business needs and situation.

Private Cloud
Senior BI Developer at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Comes with many connectors for different databases, but training videos would help a lot
  • "The drag-and-drop feature in the interface is very good."
  • "Having additional training materials, such as a video tutorial, would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I use Open Studio for operational data in the telecom industry. We were working with the data, connecting or joining the tables between different data sources with a very large volume. We perform data preparation and transformation and then look deeper into the details.

How has it helped my organization?

This is not my core tool, but when we have customers who are going to be working with open-source tools then we propose this for ETL use cases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the variety of connectors that are available for integration with different databases.

The drag-and-drop feature in the interface is very good.

The open-source community for this solution has a lot of users, so it is very strong.

What needs improvement?

Having additional training materials, such as a video tutorial, would be an improvement. I used the online guide, which is very good but it is quite long. If there were a video and a training syllabus then it would be good.

I have been using Talend Open Studio for about one year.

I had some issues with stability when I first installed Talend and I think that it was to do with the difference between Java versions. I struggled for a little bit but since then, everything has been going great.

Because I am working on the open-source version, it does not make sense to assess scalability. If I were working on the licensed version then it would matter.

There are two or three of us in the company who uses it.

I had a few problems during the initial setup. I had to configure some environment variables within my machine in order to be able to start working with Talend. I think that it had to do with confusion between Talend and the Java version that I had installed.

The deployment is almost nothing. You just click on the icon and it will launch.

Here in Asia, the on-premises deployment is preferred.

I deployed Talend on my own.

This is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution but I would prefer it if it were easier to find information on how to use it, such as training videos.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Data Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
ELT and Bulk Loading support help to improve our overall TTV
  • "This solution has improved our overall time to value for data ingestion."
  • "Inter-version compatibility is a problem, and migration projects between versions are required."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Professional version of Talend for data integration between our IBM mainframe and Oracle to populate the Enterprise data warehouse.

It handles feeds from heterogeneous sources such as MS SQL, PostgreSQL, and flat files.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved our overall time to value for data ingestion.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are slowly changing dimension components, ELT support, and Bulk loading support.

What needs improvement?

Inter-version compatibility is a problem, and migration projects between versions are required. The migration between version 5 and 6 was particularly painful for us as numerous components we had used were "end of life" in 5 and not present in 6, because of Java version upgrade issues, I think.  We had not re-generated the executable from previous upgrades, so had to put some code through what effectively was a two version upgrade, to ensure we cleared the Java version issue.

We have been using this solution for twelve years.

Muntaser Zalloum - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A powerful ETL tool with a simple setup and great functionality
  • "You can use Talend as a stand-alone application without customization to collect data and generate reports over dashboards. It's got great functionality."
  • "There used to be many Youtube channels that offered Talend training, but now there don't seem to be any. The solution should offer more online training resources."

What is our primary use case?

We use Talend for the collection of data from many different sources. We use it mostly as a data integrator.

What is most valuable?

Talend as an ETL tool is very powerful. It allows for a lot of connections to any database source. The connectivity was one of the main reasons we started working with Talend.

It's easy and user-friendly. It has most of what I want as a technical or nontechnical. Anything I need, I can find it in Open Studio.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for more than three years.

The solution is stable.

We have no problem with the scalability of the solution. We plan to increase usage in the future.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It doesn't take long to implement the solution. It depends on the size of your data but at most, it will take a few minutes if your workflow is small.

The pricing is okay. They could improve their pricing model, however.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A solution that offers good scalability and stability with a responsive technical support team
  • "The initial setup was quite straightforward. The deployment took between two and three days."
  • "The profiling perspective needs improvement. Instead of using it in the studio, we are using a different tool which is also provided by Talend. It's redundant."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution just to pull the data from the source to the landing zone. We are using the administrative console as well.

What needs improvement?

The profiling perspective needs improvement. Instead of using it in the studio, we are using a different tool which is also provided by Talend. It's redundant. They should remove that from studio to make it more lightweight or improve upon its interface.

The two things that Talend lacks is an MDM and the CDC. I know Talend has both of them, but both of them are not exactly usable in actual scenarios. I know that Talend has some integrations with other companies for MDM, but I'm not sure what they're doing for CDC. Maybe Talend can work something out regarding the CDC feature. I know the solution has its own CDC, but they're not focused on it as much as people would like them to be. I would like to know what their plans for it are or if they plan to partner with another organization to market it.

I've been using the solution for four or five years.

Currently, the solution is stable. However, three or four years back, it used to be a bit unstable. The software is quite stable as well.

The solution has quite a good range of scalability. The jobs are quite scalable since we have now integrated them with Docker so we can follow all the principles of microservices.

We have a license for five users. We have someone focused on data quality. Someone else is looking into the solution as a tester, and testers are working on the stewardship tool to correct the data and verify it with the business. Then there are two free developers who are solely working on the Open Studio to turn out code.

We do have plans to increase usage.

I don't have any complaints with technical support. They've been very responsive.

We previously used to use a wide variety of solutions, including Informatica.

We deployed it in our Unix boxes using a third-party tool called Jenkins.

The whole deployment model is automated and it happens every three weeks. There are just two people needed for maintenance.

We are the consultants. We handled the implementation ourselves for our clients.

There are costs above the standard licensing fee, for example, if you need storage space.

We evaluated other options, such as Azure Data Factory.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the AWS public cloud deployment model.

I would recommend the product. As long as you follow the best practices you will get what you want out of it.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Matej Špik - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior System Administrator at a integrator with 51-200 employees
Useful took that's easy to use and has a good support community
  • "We have contacted their technical support. They are great. They offer very professional help. If I need some technical answer, they are very professional. They are quick, professional, and very accurate."
  • "If I compare Open Studion to other solutions, their interface is robust but not so fancy looking. This is an area that could use improvement. I would like to see an updated interface."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem model of this solution. Our primary use case is for connecting legacy applications. We fill a new ERP and we also fill some legacy applications which we can integrate directly in ERP so we use Open Studio for this integration.

What is most valuable?

Open Studio is very good if you are a smaller company and you can have the budget to pay for integration. It's a useful tool that's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Open Studio doesn't have features that some of its competitors do like administrative tools.

It is stable. This is one portion of a solution, it's not the whole. Open Studio doesn't have the software that triggers the routine every time, a scheduler. We used an external scheduler, which was set so that it grabs the file when the files appear in a folder.

It's scalable because if you get to the point that you can't handle this small free software, you can have another software which is more expandable with more connectors and more functionalities. You can upgrade but you must pay. If you want to work in big data, you must use another software. Open Studio is for small use cases.

If you want to work on big data, if you want to work and analyze five or ten teradata then you need other software in this portfolio. It is scalable but you must change the software. You must upgrade this license and when you upgrade this license you get the support, you get more connectors, and you get additional functionalities.

One developer uses Open Studio. We are two users, another colleague and me.

We have contacted their technical support. They are great. They offer very professional help. If I need some technical answer, they are very professional. They are quick, professional, and very accurate.

I worked previously with Gentran Integration Suite, about five years ago. I switched to Open Studio because I switched firms.

It's a very easy integration. Not so complicated. You must use the application itself. Open Studio is free and is one small part of this portfolio which Talend offers in this portfolio.

It took two weeks to connect it but all of the preparations and everything took three months.

We deployed this solution in-house. The application was custom made for the company and this application was not compatible with the ERP.

Talend is free and you can download it.

What other advice do I have?

It's great software for someone who is starting in this area. It covers all the basics. You can work and you can learn from scratch. It's pretty easy to start and to create. It's pretty easy to start and to create an integration.

I would rate it a ten out of ten. It's a lot easier to start. You can find a lot of information on the internet. It's a big community. They offer great solutions, which you can use with your use case. If there's a problem you can solve it yourself. With Talend Open Studio you can go to Google and you'll find a lot of different cases with similar problems. If you want to create something, you can create it on your own. You don't need any big expert.

Martin Stufi - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Solutia, s.r.o.
A user-friendly, platform-independent solution for data integration and process automation
  • "A helpful feature for us is the integration with NoSQL databases."
  • "The price for Talend Data Integration should be less expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for data integration, especially in our big data projects.

For the past year, we have also been using Talend Open Studio for process automation. Some of the operations done by human beings are now automated. We also deliver this solution to our customers.

Currently, all of the solutions that we deliver to our customers are on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

This product is going to replace any engagement with human beings. For example, we have integrated with several systems but we do not do the integration manually. Another example is that we track lots of servers and our scheduled workflow checks functionality and performance related to our systems. Talend sends us notifications via email, and can also update our database. This means that we don't need to have somebody sitting in front of a PC, monitoring processes and behavior.

We also use this solution for metadata management and for data quality management.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very user-friendly.

The solution's API and integration are very important to us.

We most often use the ETL features, and then export to, for example, chart files. We also use functions related to connectors, for example, integrating with relational database management in SQL.

A helpful feature for us is the integration with NoSQL databases. We use less integration with other kinds of technologies such as file management, control, orchestration, and mapping. All of the features are here and all of them are important to us.

What needs improvement?

The price for Talend Data Integration should be less expensive.

I have been using this solution for more than four years.

In the past year that I have been working with Talend, I haven't found any problems in terms of stability. Some of my colleagues have had problems, but they have been fixed.

We have never had issues in terms of scalability. In fact, we have not had requirements from any customer that the solution is horizontally scalable.

We have never used any kind of support from Talend, as a vendor. All of the problems that we have encountered, we have fixed ourselves. We did, of course, make use of their knowledge base.

We use different solutions depending on the needs of the customer, including budgetary considerations. We try to use Talend as much as possible but there are some cases where it does not fit. For example, we cannot provide a solution with Talend when we use Kafka.

Another example is that sometimes when a customer is using Oracle, rather than Talend we use Oracle Data Integrator. Again, it depends on the customer requirements.

The initial setup ranges from simple to complex.

For the average customer, we are able to deliver solutions between two and six months. Sometimes, this is only part of the solution that we integrate for our clients. Something other than data integration may be covered by another product. One of the products that integrate well with Talend is Vertica. Together, it makes for a small setup.

Normally, one or two people are required for the deployment of this solution. It is a small team, and it covers more than just Talend.

Maintaining this solution should be the job or four or five people because you're sharing these resources. These people sometimes represent different levels of support and have varying levels of experience.

We perform the implementation of this solution for our customers.

What other advice do I have?

We are totally satisfied with this product. We have not found any problems. It is an open-source, platform-independent, and pretty stable.

My only complaint is that the commercial version is very expensive. There are some limits, but the commercial version is unlimited.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Business Intelligence Specialist at Irving Oil
Has enabled integration jobs to become faster and more reliable

What is our primary use case?

Integration jobs.

How has it helped my organization?

Faster and reliable integration jobs.

What is most valuable?

• Automating jobs
  • Ease of use

What needs improvement?

TAC could be improved.

Peter Birksmith - PeerSpot reviewer
(2IC) Senior System Analyst at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Creates a job stream that connects to multiple data sources, but needs better installation configuration for other databases
  • "The Talend Studio connected to the Talend MDM (Master Data Management) is the most valuable feature. Talend Studio is used to create a job stream that connects to multiple data sources, matches, compares or creates a golden record for overall identification. It also has a good catalogue of objects that can be dragged and dropped for building models."
  • "It needs better installation configuration for other databases. Although the installation allows you to select another database, this doesn't mean that all connection points in the application point to the database selected. You actually need to do a search through the entire install to locate the configuration settings and change them."
  • "In version 6.2 we did encounter issues with the job servers and specifically with ESB. Version 6.3 is better but large jobs can cause the MDM server to fall over, requiring a reboot."

How has it helped my organization?

By being able to cross-match records across multiple data sources and create a logical dataflow with options to place rejected records in a separate table, we are able to cleanse and create golden records in multiple categories. Rejected records, once identified, can be assessed for repair. This also means that we can identify how and where the rejected record occurred.

What is most valuable?

The Talend Studio connected to the Talend MDM (Master Data Management) is the most valuable feature. Talend Studio is used to create a job stream that connects to multiple data sources, matches, compares or creates a golden record for overall identification. It also has a good catalogue of objects that can be dragged and dropped for building models.

What needs improvement?

We've built in some self-healing scripts to detect a loss of connectivity and force a restart of the services.

Our Talend installation has been deployed onto Red Hat OpenStack, separating out MDM, TAC, DQ, and thee job servers. I made a point of determining data storage requirements for each server, and a memory ulimit setting to match the resource profile of the components. It was trial and error but it paid off by allowing the Talend system to process large jobs of 200-300 million records over a number of hours, rather than days.

Support tends to be good for the usual types of issues, but once a problem gets more complex and deeply into the nuts and bolts of the product, support struggles.

Initially we used Pentaho, however, it was determined that this was not as feature rich as Talend.

The initial setup out of the box is straightforward. However, it becomes more complex as you start to distribute the components and get forced down a path of connecting to one type of database for all the components. In my case, I had to deploy Talend using RedHat Ansible and use only a PostgreSQL database.

I needed to first install the software, search for all references to H2 or PostgreSQL, change the configuration files, and then do it all over again for the distributed installs; then translate this into Ansible scripts. So although it's not directly Talend that made this complex, the installation by Talend gives the option to install to PostgreSQL but doesn't use PostgreSQL for all database repositories.

Pricing and licensing are fairly straightforward. It is reasonably priced and managed. It's a good solution overall.

Pentaho, and prior to that SAS MDM which was similar but it was harder to create models. We also ran a PoC for IBM Infosphere MDM, but the cost was considered unacceptable.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have someone with technical skills and patience to install in a distributed deployment. Learn the product well and build in your own log shipping with either Splunk or Elastic or Telegraf to ease your diagnostic pains.

Solution Architect at Zaizi Ltd
You can drag & drop components and draw lines to connect them together for building your ETL job.

What is most valuable?

It is a powerful tool for data integration: You can simply drag & drop components and draw lines to connect them together for building your ETL job.

There is a list of +900 components available OOTB.

How has it helped my organization?

If you are a data integrator or system integrator, your work will be much easier using Talend Open Studio.

It is an Eclipse-based application; therefore, any developer which has used Eclipse before is able to build jobs and run them.

What needs improvement?

The open-source version does not include the parallel execution; neither the source code versioning or the project collaboration features.

I have used it for three years.

I have not encountered any deployment issues. You download the compressed file from the Talend website (ZIP or TAR.GZ) and extract it to your local machine.

I have not encountered any stability issues; probably the MAC OS X version is less stable than the others.

Scalability is not applicable since it is a desktop application.

It is an open-source application; you do not have the customer service. You can refer to the community forum instead.

It is an open-source application, you do not have technical support. You can refer to the community forum instead.

I did not use a different solution; I have started with Talend.

Initial setup is pretty much straightforward: you have to install the JAVA JDK 1.8 and set the "JAVA_HOME" variable.

The Talend Open Studio is free; there is also the Talend Data Fabric Platform, which requires a license.

The license is per developer, not per CPU.

Before choosing this product, we did not evaluate other options.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Zaizi is a Talend parter.
Chief Data Architect at Lucid Technologies & Solutions
The power of an ETL tool, packaged as a Java app. Developers need some experience for optimal performance.

What is most valuable?

It provides the power of an ETL tool but packaged as a Java app without needing any custom product setup. This has helped us handle several of our data integration/migration needs (including the ones needed for our in-house products), without worrying about alignment to our clients' tech infrastructure as long as they are fine to run a Java app.

Its data integration features are as powerful as any other leading product in this space.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved productivity compared to lot of custom SQL data integrations done before, and at a very low cost. Its HTML document generation feature has helped us ensure documentation of all the ETL code.

What needs improvement?

The open-source version has obviously fewer features compared to the enterprise edition. Specifically, the scheduler, rules engine, etc., are really not available, but these are nice-to-have's for a general ETL development where organizations could address these with other tool sets.

Developers need some experience to gain optimal performance and, being a Java application, tuning knowledge of Java apps helps, which is sometimes difficult for a pure ETL developer.

I have used it for more than a year now.

Version 5.6 works best with Java 7 and quite unstable with 8. I encountered a few issues with the multi-threading function leading to DB connection issues.

I have encountered scalability issues; it requires a bit of tuning before we get to optimal performance.

I have not used customer service that much.

Being open source, technical support is through the Talend forum, which is quite good.

I previously used a different solution., and switched because it offered comparable product features at a lower cost.

Initial setup was not difficult.

An in-house team implemented it.

Most of the features are available in the open source version. Only if used in a large enterprise with distributed teams, would we need the licensed version with collaborative development features (repository), schedulers, etc.

it_user78834 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Information Manager Unit at BCI with 501-1,000 employees
Open Studio for small companies works well but for larger ones, in-depth analysis of the costs & effort is needed

What is most valuable?

Easy to use, low learning curve, scalability, all basic features for ETL, price

How has it helped my organization?

It was a fundamental tool for the Data Warehouse development team. With Talend Open Studio, all the ETL process are documented and well implemented.

What needs improvement?

The Enterprise Version needs to be more similar to the Talend Open Studio. There are so many differences and so we needed time to learn and become familiar with the enterprise version, which was not so great for us.

1 year

Yes. First we use Talend Open Studio but afterwards we bought Talend Enterprise. We found that we need to create new team profiles. This was something that we had not predict before, the need to use the Talend Admin Center (TAC). We don’t have yet that yet and of course getting it requires effort, adds on costs and more time to develop.

Not yet

Not yet

Customer Service: Low here, at Mozambique.Technical Support: Low here, at Mozambique.

We used Microsoft Integration Services but due to budget restrictions and technical issues we prefer Talend.

Installing Talend Open Studio was easy, but you need support for the setup of the Enterprise version.

In-house.

Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services

What other advice do I have?

Don’t precipitate the acquisition of the Enterprise version. Using Talend Open Studio for small companies is enough, but for big companies analyze first very carefully the cost and effort to switch to Enterprise version.
Download our free Talend Open Studio Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022