IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Symantec Directory OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Symantec Directory?
CA Directory is an easy-to-manage directory service with superior performance for read and write operations, transparent and distributed replication across any number of servers and automatic recovery for seamless failover and failback. With these market-leading capabilities, CA Directory provides a mature, standards-based platform for your application infrastructure that allows you to reduce your costs while still delivering superior user experience and improved business agility.

Symantec Directory was previously known as CA Directory .

Symantec Directory Customers
DBS
Symantec Directory Video

Archived Symantec Directory Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user558261 - PeerSpot reviewer
Annalyst Programmer at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We use it for internal-facing and external-facing website security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this product is the enterprise-based security and the reliability that it comes with. Most of the people in this industry are using this product, so you are a victim of it since you need to use what everybody else is using and adopt it to your basic criteria.

How has it helped my organization?

Mostly we are using it for website securities like internal-facing or external-facing websites so this provides security of our data. It helps in providing more security for sharing of our customer data, our corporate security guidelines and compliance operations so that we maintain our recycle plans.

What needs improvement?

Something that is contributing to global development like social media. I know there is something today but if they could make it easier; instead of trying to figure things out.

We have used this product for over seven years now; we have seen it evolve and grow. We like where it is going. At this point, new features are coming out; we really are happy with this product.

Initially, when we started out, it was pretty small scale but now we are using its several new features like Google Apps. We really like its scalability feature.

I have used technical support but I am not on the technical side of things. However, I know from my colleagues that they have reached out several times for support. I think there are no complaints; they are pretty happy with the support.

I was not involved in the initial setup as when I joined, the solution was already in place.

What other advice do I have?

We have gone through different iterations or versions of the product. You should buy it. The important criteria while selecting a vendor are its ranking in the market, the value of the company, the amount of money we are investing with them and how much benefit we are getting out of it.
it_user350634 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Architect at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
It works well with SiteMinder and Identity Manager as an add-on enterprise directory service. The configuration manager could be more straightforward and less awkward to work with.

Valuable Features

CA Directory is a good add-on to SiteMinder and Identity Manager. It’s the best product that works with these just because they’re from the same vendor.

Improvements to My Organization

As CA Directory is bundled with SiteMinder and Identity Manager, we don't have to pay for another enterprise directory service.

Room for Improvement

The configuration management could be better. It’s not very straightforward and is awkward to work with.

It works, but there's a little work required on our part to make it stable. There’s a lot hidden from admin, so we have to go the vendor itself to learn about how to make changes to help with increasing performance.

We haven’t tried to scale. We still have a small deployment.

Technical support has been excellent. We’re able to get enough attention for fixes to our issues. Sometimes the support cycles are long, but it’s still good considering some of the complexity of our issues and our needs.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Other Solutions Considered

As with all our tech-buying decisions, we always compare with alternatives.

Other Advice

It loses points due to the complexity involved in its design and configuration. My advice would be to use Directory only when you have other CA products that depend on it.