We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Head of IT Security Department at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Simple implementation, effective scanning, and tracking

What is our primary use case?

We are using SonarQube for static analyzing and finding vulnerabilities in our code.

What is most valuable?

Easy installation. Very accurate finding of vulnerabilities and a minimum of false positives.

What needs improvement?

SonarQube could improve by adding automatic creation of tasks after scanning and more supported languages.

I have been using SonarQube for approximately two years.

SonarQube is a highly stable solution.

I have found SonarQube to be scalable. We have 20 to 25 specialists using SonarQube in my organization. We have plans to increase the usage of the solution.

How

What needs improvement?

I have been using SonarQube for approximately two years.

SonarQube is a highly stable solution.

I have found SonarQube to be scalable.

We have 20 to 25 specialists using SonarQube in my organization.

We have plans to increase the usage of the solution.

We search Google for solutions to any problems we may face.

The solution is easy to implement in our process of continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment(CI/CD).

We did the implementation of the solution ourselves.

We have assigned each project one DevOps, and each DevOps is deploying SonarQube in their project and we have in total about 20 projects.

The free version of SonarQube does everything that we need it to.

Licenses of this solution can be purchased annually. We plan to buy the maximum license enterprise edition of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend this solution to others.

I rate SonarQube a nine out of ten.

Software Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Beneficial testing tool, helps developer become sharper, and makes software more secure
  • "The solution can verify vulnerabilities, code smells, and hotspots. It makes the software more secure and it helps make a junior or novice developer sharper."
  • "The software testing tool capability could improve. It does not always integrate well. You have to use a specific plugin and the plugin does not always go in Apple's applications."

What is our primary use case?

I use SonarQube for testing software.

What is most valuable?

The solution can verify vulnerabilities, code smells, and hotspots. It makes the software more secure and it helps make a junior or novice developer sharper.

What needs improvement?

The software testing tool capability could improve. It does not always integrate well. You have to use a specific plugin and the plugin does not always go in Apple's applications.

In the next release, they should add the ability to analyze containers.

I have been using SonarQube for approximately three years.

We have mostly software developers using this solution are there are approximately 50 using it.

I have used Snyk and it is more catered to a different audience than SolarQube.SolarQube is more for software developers.

The installation is straightforward, especially with the new Docker implementation.

I did the implementation of the solution myself.

The process of purchasing the solution could improve.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is a good static test tool for developers. It helps keep the maintainability and security of software.

I rate SonarQube an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about SonarQube. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Security Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Free, scalable, but documentation needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for our staging environment to review the security issues before going live or into production.

What needs improvement?

I have found this solution creates more noise than competitors.  The documentation and reporting extract can improve because other solutions are far more advanced.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. However, we do not use it as a SaaS solution, we use it for our staging environment at a minimum scale.  We have approximately 10 people using this solution in my organization.

Which

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

I have found this solution creates more noise than competitors.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

We have approximately 10 people using this solution in my organization.

Previously I worked with Fortify and Veracode and I have found those tools provided much better because they are from a commercial solution.

Our development team did the implementation of this solution.

This solution is free.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is this solution is one of the best in the free market in the industry and it is a good one to use.

I rate SonarQube a seven out of ten.

RakeshPal
Senior Manager at Digichorus Technologies
Good code review and reporting of basic vulnerabilities in your applications
  • "SonarQube is good in terms of code review and to report on basic vulnerabilities in your applications."
  • "It does not provide deeper scanning of vulnerabilities in an application, on a live session. This is something we are not happy about. Maybe the reason for that is we are running the community edition currently, but other editions may improve on that aspect."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for scanning our web applications, some internal applications and using it for code reviews.

What is most valuable?

SonarQube is good in terms of code review and to report on basic vulnerabilities in your applications. The code writing standard of SonarQube is good. It may be better in other editions but as we don't use those we're not able to find out with SonarQube. We are using the community, developer version for 14 days. If this version is successful we will go to the full version. We're using it on-premises.

What needs improvement?

We have been using SonarQube for one year.

SonarQube is scalable.

SonarQube was easy to setup.

We considered using Fortify.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SonarQube an eight out of 10.

Founder at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Works fine and provides good value for money

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a gatekeeper for our external developers to follow the rules. If they don't comply with the rules within the source code, they cannot commit.

What is most valuable?

It is working fine. It provides good value for money.

What needs improvement?

One thing to improve would be the integration. There is a steep learning curve to get it integrated.

I have been using this solution for maybe two years.

It is stable.

It is definitely scalable. Currently, we have six users.

We didn't contact them.

Which solution did I use previously and

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It is working fine. It provides good value for money.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for maybe two years.

It is stable.

It is definitely scalable. Currently, we have six users.

We didn't contact them.

This was our first one.

Its initial setup is okay. It is not too difficult. It probably took a couple of hours.

One developer is enough for its deployment.

We pay €10 per month for this solution, which is good. It provides good value for money.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate SonarQube a nine out of 10.

Project Manager, Senior Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Well featured, easily manageable, identifies production issues

What is our primary use case?

We decided to implement the solution to keep up to date with testing, security, and other issues with developments, such as bugs.

What is most valuable?

In regards to features, overall the product is good. It minimizes the difficulty or issues that we encountered during the production. We are using the open-sourced version and issues can easily be resolved.

I have been using the solution for four to five years.

We are using everything that is open-source and this allows us when we have the regular day to day issues, our team works on them directly to identifying their causes and they resolve them quickly.

We have our…

What is most valuable?

I have been using the solution for four to five years.

We have our internal team that is very knowledgeable, experienced, and have extreme abilities that handle our needs.

I think comparing the product to competitors it should be less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend SonarQube. It is a good deal compared to all other tools on the market.  It certainly helped us, it is a good tool and should be definitely used.

I rate SonarQube a nine out of ten.

Independent Consultant at Klusener Consultancy
Reliable inspection with a quality indication system
  • "The overall quality of the indicator is good."
  • "I am not very pleased with the technical debt computation."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for auditing our system.

What is most valuable?

The overall quality of the indicator is good.

What needs improvement?

I am not very pleased with the technical debt computation, it's a bit arbitrary.

The codification metrics could also be improved.

I have been using the open-source version, on and off, for the past few years.

The scalability is ok, but if you want to process large portfolios, it breaks down.

The technical support is reasonable.

The initial setup was reasonable.

There is a licensing fee, but I don't know the exact cost because I use this solution in partnership with other companies.

I have experience with Parasoft and other similar tools.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to another company.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. I would give it a higher rating if the technical debt computation was improved.

Senior Software Engineering Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution for analysis and security vulnerability checking
  • "It is a very good tool for analysis and security vulnerability checking."
  • "The scanning part could be improved in SonarQube. We have used Coverity for scanning, and we have the critical issues reported by Coverity. When we used SonarQube for scanning and looked at the results, it seems that some of them have incorrect input. This part can be improved for C and C++ languages."

What is our primary use case?

We use SonarQube to scan our security protection.

What is most valuable?

It is a very good tool for analysis and security vulnerability checking.

What needs improvement?

The scanning part could be improved in SonarQube. We have used Coverity for scanning, and we have the critical issues reported by Coverity. When we used SonarQube for scanning and looked at the results, it seems that some of them have incorrect input. This part can be improved for C and C++ languages.

I have been using this solution for a couple of weeks.

It is stable.

We haven't evaluated its scalability.

I just use our internal IT to get support for SonarQube. That is enough for me.

We were previously using Coverity. We used it for three years or so.

We just use the Enterprise SonarQube instance provided by our company.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate SonarQube an eight out of ten.

Download our free SonarQube Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.