Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager is #7 ranked solution in top Network Automation tools and #14 ranked solution in top Configuration Management tools. PeerSpot users give SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager is most commonly compared to Cisco DNA Center: SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager vs Cisco DNA Center. SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 18% of all views.

Download the Configuration Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager?
Before you monitor your network, configure it! A reliable and secure network starts with carefully planned, executed, and monitored network configuration and change management. SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager (NCM) saves time and improves network reliability and security by managing configurations, changes, and compliance for routers, switches, and other network devices from Cisco, Juniper, HP, Dell, Brocade, Aruba, Rukus, and more.

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager was previously known as SolarWinds NCM.

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Customers
United Lincolnshire Hospitals, Air Rarotonga, NetSuite, Thai AirAsia, REA Group, 335th Signal Command, Agilisys, Marine Expeditionary Force
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Video

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager pricing:
  • "There is a license for the use of this solution and it is priced well, there is a lot of value for the money."
  • "I have a yearly subscription."
  • SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager Reviews

Ravi Khanchandani - PeerSpot reviewer
    Founder Director at Techsa Services
    Reseller
    Has good configuration backup automation, configuration compliance, security vulnerability detection, and upgrading features
    • "The features we find most valuable is the configuration backup automation, the configuration compliance, the security vulnerability detection and upgrading devices."
    • "The Network Configuration Manager needs to improve the access control list compliance."

What is our primary use case?

They are four areas that we use the Network Configuration Manager for

1. Automate configuration backup.

2. Configuration compliance. We have created checklists for different types of devices and check for configuration compliance as per our config guidelines.

3. Security vulnerability detection for Cisco devices. Identify open CVE's with devices.

4. Firmware upgrades / IOS upgrades of Cisco devices. This feature has seen one major improvement in the ability to perform parallel upgrades.

How has it helped my organization?

NCM has provided for the following benefits - Mainly to to with audit readiness on 3 fronts - regular configuration backups, configuration hardening and Vulnerability management.

What is most valuable?

The features we find most valuable are the configuration backup automation, configuration compliance, security vulnerability detection, and upgrading devices.

Configuration Management
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about SolarWinds, Red Hat, ManageEngine and others in Configuration Management. Updated: September 2022.
    634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have used SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager for more than six years now. We are on the near latest release 2020.2.5 HF1 as of June 2021. We have adopted an N-1 version deployment policy.

Platform stability is extremely good. A few areas of improvements required - better handling of NCM jobs failing - for example if an NCM job has multiple devices to be backed up, a detailed report/log of the success or failed status is required.

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager is very scalable. We have a deployment that covers over 12,000 network devices.

We have used technical support many times. They're good if you escalate properly. It is an area that needs a bit of improvement in terms of helping prioritize the ticket. Whenever we open a ticket with them, I think by default it lands up in an open bucket. So I don't have the option of saying that there is an absolutely critical requirement and I need some urgent help. I can't classify that when opening up a ticket for the first time.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. The initial setup did not take very long. I think the base platform was set up in a day's time. But I think configuration compliance policies, which is actually more of writing the policies rather than anything to do with SolarWinds, are slightly more time-consuming. The creation of policy is time-consuming. That has more to do with the organization policy, i.e., do I need Telnet enabled, do I need Telnet disabled, etc.

I would highly recommend SolarWinds Network Configuration Management to other customers. I rate this product at a nine out of ten.

We really did not evaluate many other options. We were actually using the Kiwi CatTools version which is also a part of SolarWinds. But I think SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager is a big brother of Kiwi CatTools and I think since we were already familiar with Kiwi CatTools the migration to NCM was pretty easy.

Managing Director at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Useful for managing the configuration changes and backups, but lacks multi-tenancy support
    • "It allows us to manage backups in big companies. It is also useful in managing the configuration changes."
    • "Its whole architecture is a bit traditional. They can change the architecture to make it more modern and multi-tenant. Currently, we can do multi-tenancy, but we need to buy another product. Its look and feel can be improved. They can also put in more effort into building the THWACK community and use the information about various customer issues and requests to build the new releases."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its whole architecture is a bit traditional. They can change the architecture to make it more modern and multi-tenant. Currently, we can do multi-tenancy, but we need to buy another product.

Its look and feel can be improved. They can also put in more effort into building the THWACK community and use the information about various customer issues and requests to build the new releases.

I have been using this solution for about four years.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

What other advice do I have?

This solution works in conjunction with SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor. Usually, you first buy SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor and then SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager. You have to go with both.

I would recommend this solution. Typically, while recommending a solution, I look at what the management needs in terms of strategy, how a solution integrates, and how powerful is the IT department. Based on that, I recommend a solution that meets the needs and integrates with ITSM.

I would rate SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager a seven out of ten.

Configuration Management
    September 2022
    634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Donald Bakels - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Executive Officer (CEO) at Adfontessoftware
    Reseller
    Stable, priced well, and straightforward installation

What is our primary use case?

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager can be used for backing up network device configuration. It helps you be more secure when you have a system failure, you can get the information back.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by being more secure.

I have been using SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager for approximately nine years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We have more than 100 customers using this solution.

Technical support could be faster when responding to an issue.

The installation is straightforward.

We have one engineer that does the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

There is a license for the use of this solution and it is priced well, there is a lot of value for the money.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager a nine out of ten.

Ridho Abdillah - PeerSpot reviewer
    Presales Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Reseller
    A network configuration management solution that is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

I'm using SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager to configure and manage devices like Aruba, and it's working fine.

What is most valuable?

It's perfect for network configuration management. It's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if they include a network service manager, network performance manager, or privileged assessment in the next release.

I have been distributing SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager for about three years.

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager is very stable for now.

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager is scalable enough.

Technical support is perfect.

The initial setup was straightforward. I use a team to deploy and maintain this solution.

I have a yearly subscription.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager an eight.

Download our free Configuration Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about SolarWinds, Red Hat, ManageEngine, and more!
    Updated: September 2022