Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

SmartBear TestComplete Mobile OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Mobile App Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is SmartBear TestComplete Mobile?

AUTOMATE UI TESTING FOR ANY IOS OR ANDROID APP

Use script-free record and replay or choose from six languages, including Python and JavaScript, to create test automation scripts. Record repeatable and consistent gestures across any mobile device. Get full device control when creating automated UI tests. There is no modify or jail-break the app.

Separate the UI object identification from the test logic to build stable, easy-to-maintain automated tests. Seamless integration available with build server, source control systems, and defect management tools allows you to run automated mobile UI tests around the clock.

SmartBear TestComplete Mobile Customers

Cisco, J.P. Morgan, Boeing, McAfee, EMC, Intuit

SmartBear TestComplete Mobile Video

Archived SmartBear TestComplete Mobile Reviews (more than two years old)

Alexandru Volosencu - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Test Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We are facing sometimes the situation when we have some issues with our automated tests.
  • "I like that it offers internal methods for supported controls. It is very easy to code the tests. Object Spy is also a good feature."
  • "The mapping is pretty complicated because there are a lot of controls that are the same and if you have a long name with the object mapping it is easy to get confused."

What is most valuable?

I like that it offers internal methods for supported controls. It is very easy to code the tests. Object Spy is also a good feature.

The mapping is pretty complicated because there are a lot of controls that are the same and if you have a long name with the object mapping it is easy to get confused.

TestComplete is perfect if you have an automation ID or something unique to each controller. Unfortunately our developers said that it's very hard to maintain all the names and automation IDs. Maybe in the future with this mapping part would be better.

What needs improvement?

The list view part and the collection view part need improvement. I remember when I used TestComplete earlier versions we didn't need to install the mobile application and we had access to the controls using Object Spy inside the list view and now, unfortunately, it only has a property view. From there, I can't find the specific element inside.

I have been working with SmartBear for the last two and a half years.

The stability will depend. I was running a test on my mobile and I got a call and I had to pick up and then the test was running, but when I connected again the mobile and stopped the test run, the application crashed.

I reopened the ticket because our manager was in contact with someone at SmartBear and we cannot send our application. Sometimes when we expand something in the collection view and we want to tap in the test, the application is forced closed and there's an error occurred and no details.

The usage depends on the project that I'm working on. Until the beginning of this year, I used it weekly, like every day when I was at working hours.

Mobile App Testing Tools
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about SmartBear, Digital.ai, Microsoft and others in Mobile App Testing Tools. Updated: September 2022.
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I'm pretty satisfied with technical support. The only problem is this that if we can't send a sample application, somehow the ticket doesn't get answered and we have to reopen.

The setup is and isn't straightforward. If we leave the license open and someone forgets to close it when I want to open it again and he closes it and I choose mobile again, I have to customize the toolbar and select the screen monitor again. I would like for this to be improved.

Sometimes when I tried to remote set up one of my colleagues' machines for TestComplete it did not recognize the parts with the login.

What other advice do I have?

I believe that the best advice would be to analyze the application that needs to be tested on different platforms and then decide because we used some UI controls that are not yet supported by SmartBear and that involved some coordination to find out the exact coordinates of a control. We received a solution for this, which we use currently. Unfortunately, it only works around 80%.

Sometimes a control overlaps. For example, a progress bar overlaps the item from the list view and a problem will occur. We have some test runs that sometimes are different. We have three test runs for 60 tests and the first time it's green, the second time one fails and so on. It is not consistent, but this problem occurs also because some of the controls are not fully supported by TestComplete.

I would rate TestComplete a seven out of ten.

The remapping of aliases feature is very helpful and it runs smoothly
  • "The features I find most valuable is the automatic remapping of aliases, because it is really helpful."
  • "It is very difficult to use the aliases on old software."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of the program is to remap aliases.

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable is the automatic remapping of aliases because it is really helpful.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in the interface and design. It is very difficult to use the aliases on old software, which hasn't been designed for us to test out. Maybe this is more applicable to the software we tried to use it on, but I found it very difficult.

We have been using SmartBear TestComplete Mobile for a year now.

We've had some problems with crashes, but that was when we were using the previous version. Everything has been running smooth on the latest version.

I am the only user of the solution but I believe it is scalable.

I've had a few issues with testing, but it was resolved by the technical team. So I am satisfied by their technical service.

The initial setup was easy, but we had a few issues because we used an old school application.

What other advice do I have?

I will recommend this platform, but it all depends which technology the user would like to test. I would like to see a better interface in the future, so my rating for this solution is eight out of ten.

Download our free Mobile App Testing Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about SmartBear, Digital.ai, Microsoft, and more!
Updated: September 2022