IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Scout APM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Scout APM is #16 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give Scout APM an average rating of 10 out of 10. Scout APM is most commonly compared to New Relic APM: Scout APM vs New Relic APM. Scout APM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Scout APM?

Scout APM is an application performance monitoring solution that simplifies the troubleshooting process by enabling developers to discover and repair performance problems before clients ever notice them. Scout APM uses a developer-based UI with real-time alerting and intuitive tracing logic to identify bottlenecks precisely to the source code. This helps to greatly reduce time and effort needed to debug code and results in greater productivity and improved outcomes.

Scout APM facilitates the ability of developers to break down, discover, and prioritize performance issues such as N+1 queries, latent database queries, memory bloat, and more, and accomplishes these results at a fraction of the cost. Scout APM monitors Elixir, Node.js, PHP, Python and Ruby.

Scout APM is built by developers, for developers.

Scout APM Features

• 24/7 monitoring: Continuous, consistent monitoring proactively keeps users apprised of any performance deviations. Intuitive dashboards allow users to deep-dive into specific requests, paths, users, and endpoints attached to any performance slowdowns or bloating.

• Quick and easy analysis: Should a slowdown occur or an increased response time be discovered, users have an easy to use drag-and-drop option to simply and quickly analyze every endpoint and dissect any anomalies. Scout APM will pinpoint the precise user or endpoint(s) responsible for the problem.

• Intuitive trace logic: Users are able to quickly deep-dive and discover slow requests based on average responses or any/all requests.

• Crossfilter powerhouse: Crossfilter is a Scout APM feature that allows users to quickly discover similarities with any/all slow requests back to the user or endpoint.

• Easily discover bottlenecks: With Scout APM, users can easily pinpoint bottlenecks to the exact source code without any additional custom instrumentation. The solution uses a production-safe profiler to fully examine users' custom codes.

• Developer tracing: Scout APM uses backtraces that are embedded with git blame output so developers of the code can be quickly identified and contacted to resolve issues and concerns immediately.

• Cost-effective: Scout APM is an open-source solution and offers many flexible pricing options to meet any size business, from small to enterprise level, including custom options. The cost per transaction decreases based on usage and works very efficiently with applications with very high throughput. Scout APM also offers a free trial period and encourages its usage so users can best understand and gauge the level of service needed and determine the best pricing plan to meet organizational needs. Scout APM is considered to be significantly cheaper than many other APM solutions in the marketplace today.

Reviews from Real Users

“The solution is stable. It's pretty easy to set up, especially if you have the knowledge base and/or you have a partner assist you. The product can scale. The processes are great. It helps with services and microservices. The product is great for many different industries, including energy, government, finance, and more. It's allowed our company to be more forward-thinking and to consider the future a bit more. ” - Antonio B., Regional Manager LatAm at Splunk

Scout APM Customers

Chargify, Synctree, Aptuitiv, Barnes and Noble, Journey, Geosnapshot, Kongregate, PaperTrail, Adobe, SendGrid, Sentry

Scout APM Reviews

Antonio_Barros - PeerSpot reviewer
Regional Manager LatAm at Splunk
Great visibility and reliability with fair pricing
  • "The product can scale."
  • "I can't recall coming across any missing features."

What is our primary use case?

Today, it's all about observability. There is a digital environment and I'm not just taking care of the application. I'm also looking at the application, process, cloud, cloud service, microservices, et cetera. Everything that is around the digital performance environment, I can see. It is a solution that we can put in the business level of data. The company uses my data to make decisions about the business.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable. It's pretty easy to set up, especially if you have the knowledge base and/or you have a partner assist you. The product can scale.  The processes are great. It helps with services and microservices. The product is great for man different industries, including energy, government, finance, and more.

What needs improvement?

I can't recall coming across any missing features. Its capabilities are pretty broad.
Application Performance Management (APM)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Scout, Datadog, New Relic and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: June 2022.
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using Scout for 21 years or so. I've definitely used it in the last 12 months.

The solution is very stable. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution, of course, is quite scalable. It's not a problem if you need to expand it.  We have 87 people using the solution currently.  We're likely to increase usage. In Latin America this year, there will be investments of $24 billion in IT processes. And 14% of this is just APM, just monitoring solutions. That will likely increase by 16% every single year.

Technical support has been great.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We've replaced this solution in the past with a more up-to-date version. You can upgrade even if your current version is running well.  I've dealt with Splunk, Datadog, and Dynatrace. I work with a lot of solutions.  I'm a Splunk salesperson. However, Dynatrace is very, very good. And Datadog has been improving all the time.

How complex or simple the implementation process is depends a lot on the customer and what they need to do. Do they have a good background? Are they using different tools? These questions and more will come up during implementation. However, for the most part, it's not a big deal. I'd rate the solution a three out of five in terms of the general ease of setup. We only need six people to handle deployment and maintenance.

When you use a partner, the initial setup is easier. We can do it either way.

We've seen ROI a lot.

Users pay for licensing on a yearly basis. In general, the pricing is great. It's very reasonable.

We looked at a few other options, including those that were open source. What we ultimately choose depends on what the client needs. Scout is ideal, typically, as it does provide great visibility.

What other advice do I have?

When putting this tool into place, it's very important to consider the rules before adopting everything. I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Scout, Datadog, New Relic, and more!
Updated: June 2022