IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

RSA Authentication Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

RSA Authentication Manager is #12 ranked solution in top Authentication Systems. PeerSpot users give RSA Authentication Manager an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. RSA Authentication Manager is most commonly compared to Microsoft Authenticator: RSA Authentication Manager vs Microsoft Authenticator. RSA Authentication Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Authentication Systems Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is RSA Authentication Manager?
RSA Authentication Manager is the platform behind RSA SecurID that allows for centralized management of the RSA SecurID environment including authentication methods, users, applications, and agents across multiple physical sites. It verifies authentication requests and centrally administers authentication policies for organizations' end users.

RSA Authentication Manager was previously known as ACE/Server.

RSA Authentication Manager Customers
Tiera, Fred Loya, BRE Leasing, ADP, BlueFort Security, New Hanover County
RSA Authentication Manager Video

Archived RSA Authentication Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

Cyber Security - Identity & Access Management at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution that is not user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this for token identification.

What needs improvement?

I think this solution could be more user-friendly.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We have about 100K users.

July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about RSA, Cisco, OneSpan and others in Authentication Systems. Updated: July 2022.
621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We found technical support was not very responsive to our requests for assistance.

The setup was complex, and there were complex folders that were not easy to install. We used a consultant to help us implement the solution.

Sambhaji Bhosale - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Security Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The two-factor authentication is a trusted part of the solution.
  • "The most valuable feature is the provision part. The mapping and the logging is also very good. In addition, the troubleshooting, from a console point of view, is easy for administration and on the provisioning and logging part."
  • "We have encountered issue when trying to expand this particular solution for a large set of users across the country."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for authentication needs.

How has it helped my organization?

The advantage to this solution is the two-factor authentication. It is a very trusted part of the solution. It provides benefits usch as secure application access in terms of remote VPN, application security, and WiFi security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the provision part. The mapping and the logging is also very good. In addition, the troubleshooting (from a console point of view) is easy for administration and on the provisioning and logging part.

What needs improvement?

We have users throughout the world, and this current solution is causing us a lot of manual effort, and lots of back-end inventory management. We want to avoid all of these things. So, that is the overall learning solution we are looking for. In addition, the features of RSA are lagging. In terms of the cloud, and of appliation, they are providing application security on-boarding with the two-factor authentication for RSA. We are seeing a lot of difficult issues in terms of RSA, especially the cloud-based two-factor authentication process. We find issues with the application of the Android, i-Pad or other Apple products two-factor authentication solutions. There are significant issues with MobilePASS authentication.

More than five years.

July 2022
621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Owner at a tech services company
Easy setup, deployment, and integration including for virtual infrastructures

What is most valuable?

Easy setup, deployment, and integration in different infrastructures, including virtual ones.

How has it helped my organization?

2FA with hardware tokens for VMware VDIs.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps parts of the the user interface should become more intuitive.

About a year.

I haven't used another solution previously and I am not familiar with another vendor for 2FA.

Yes, it was quiet straightforward after carefully reading and following the setup manual and documentation.

I have no idea, I wasn't responsible for licensing.

No, we decided to use RSA because of the easy integration with VMware infra.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it, very good product for implementing 2FA.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Business partner.
Security Analyst at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides effective two factor authentication for remote users.

What is most valuable?

It does what we want it to do, has nice security administration features and built in reporting and other provisions.

It provides effective two factor authentication for remote users. The product has features that provide varying authentication mechanisms -

• Hard hand held RSA tokens
  • Soft tokens (software tokens for Smartphones)
  • OnDemand one-time token authentication for vendors that may need access

Provisions for decentralized administration and Help Desk/Service Desk problem resolution have been incorporated into the product architecture, with built-in separation of duties. Examples include but are not limited to such events as -

• Resolving authentication issues
  • Verifying the identities of those individuals that call with remote access issues
  • Auditing/logging all activities, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has addressed our remote access security needs while making our work force mobile thus enhancing productivity and customer service initiatives. This means people can work after hours, on weekends or during inclement weather conditions to support the business enterprise.

What needs improvement?

Over the fifteen years I’ve used RSA security solutions the vendor (EMC) has addressed customer security concerns and implemented enhancements in new releases of the program product.

I have used RSA for two different employers for approximately 15 years. During this time period I’ve worked on approximately five different product releases. At this time, my security team administers the RSA security solution for approximately fifteen hundred end users.

Not that I am aware of.

Stability and integrity of the product and how it provides reliable two factor authentication is good.

I am not aware of any problems. All system upgrades went smoothly from an administrative perspective. I believe the Server Engineers could say the same if you asked them. My observation over the years is that the system upgrades can be complicated and must be well planned out to address 'what if' issues, including backing off upgrades if necessary.

Very good. I have not experienced any problems with customer service, however your support agreement with the vendor should be valid, up to date to prevent any issues.

From an administrative perspective I would say technical support is very good.

I have only used RSA products the past fifteen years and have not looked at any other solutions.

From a security administration standpoint I would submit that set up is straight forward and end user friendly.

We had an in-house team of server, Help Desk and Security Administration personnel implement this security solution.

Confidence that the security solution does all that it’s supposed to do.

Like everything, there is hardware, software, licensing, support and product cost(s), etc. associated with this product.

No other options evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Research your requirements and compare the product’s offerings to your implementation requirements.

it_user231258 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr Technical Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
​Deployment is very fast, but delivering the address labels of where tokens are to be sent should be delivered by email

What is most valuable?

The self service token deployment combined with administrative rolls gives you a lot of flexibility as a Managed SP.

How has it helped my organization?

In 2005 we started with a managed authentication service for three small companies with each having approx. 250 users. Now, we have 25 large enterprises/government departments, with over 150,000 authenticating users with an uptime of nearly 100% over the last five years. Our managed authentication offering is one where we provide stable redundant server systems in our datacenters spread over the Netherlands. The customer buys tokens and maintains & administers their own users. Risk based authentication is great to keep costs low and security high.

What needs improvement?

The reporting needs to be improved, and they should be delivered by email. Also, delivering the address labels of where tokens are to be sent should be delivered by email too. I have had to add scripts and programs to run query for address labels to have them sent by email.

I’m a longterm user. Starting with Security Dynamics SecurID v4 in 1996, when I worked for Olivetti, selling a two factor authentication solution to our customers. At the end of the 1990’s, the product changed name from Security Dynamics into RSA Security which was acquired by EMC around 2007.

Deployment is very fast compared with previous versions.

Very stable.

Scalable to millions of users worldwide.

Customer service is done by the support team of the customer itself, or on their behalf by KPN.

RSA tech support is rated 7/10.

KPN also supports Vasco, but with less enthusiasm. It’s more difficult to use and has higher costs.

The initial setup of Authentication Manager 8.1 instance is very straight forward. All extra scripts and software we have developed is copied as described in our manuals. A total setup for a new customer is done within eight hours, including self service configuration settings according the information collected during the intake.

We do it ourselves and are RSA Certified Engineers with years of experience.

The ROI for customers is less than one year when using hardware tokens, with software tokens it's less and with risk based authentication it's even lower.

Yes we also evaluated Vasco, but it’s less profitable.

What other advice do I have?

Just try it and take the four days course.

it_user192360 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Security Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Almost Plug n' Play. Price needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

• Authentication Manager as hardware hardened appliance
  • Secure creation of the token/FOB in RSA's secure manufacturing unit
  • Securing the hardware/Software FOB
  • Secure transportation of FOBs & Token Seeds.

How has it helped my organization?

It has increased the level authentication.

What needs improvement?

The price needs to be improved.

I've used it for two years -

RSA Authentication Manager & SecurID

RSA Authentication Manager Appliance is almost like Plug 'n' Play. So it's an excellent experience.

Not even with the software deployment. I found it a robust server.

No concerns from the product on the scalability.

RSA's customer service is very good.

RSA's technical support is very good.

In some cases other solution where the cost is a driving factor.

It's straightforward. Appliance is almost like plug & Play.

We did self implementation.

Security is always like insurance. It ensures against future threats, so it's tough to estimate the ROI, until unless some one broke the system without two-factor authentication in the past.

Yes. There are other products, but can not provide as per NDA.

What other advice do I have?

If cost is not a big concern, go ahead.

Download our free Authentication Systems Report and find out what your peers are saying about RSA, Cisco, OneSpan, and more!
Updated: July 2022