IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Red Hat Gluster Storage OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Software Defined Storage (SDS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Red Hat Gluster Storage?

Red Hat Gluster Storage (formerly known as Red Hat Storage Server) is a software-defined storage (SDS) platform designed to handle the requirements of traditional file storage—high-capacity tasks like backup and archival as well as high-performance tasks of analytics and virtualization. But unlike traditional storage systems, Red Hat Gluster Storage isn’t rigid and expensive. It easily scales across bare metal, virtual, container, and cloud deployments.

Red Hat Gluster Storage was previously known as Red Hat Gluster, Red Hat Storage Server.

Red Hat Gluster Storage Customers

NTT Plala, McMaster University, University of Basque Country, Goodtech ASA, Cox Automotive, Raidió Teilifís Éireann (RTÉ), SaskTel, Glashart Media, Casio

Red Hat Gluster Storage Video

Archived Red Hat Gluster Storage Reviews (more than two years old)

System Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to upgrade but the interface should be simplified

What is our primary use case?

We're using the product for storage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the product is that it's very easy to upgrade storage.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, my initial suggestion would be that the user interface could be simplified. For now, it requires training to be able to use it.  I would like to see a more simplified version in the future, a product where the interaction is simple.

We've just started using the solution - we've had it for about a month and are still evaluating it.
Software Defined Storage (SDS)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, IBM, LizardFS and others in Software Defined Storage (SDS). Updated: June 2022.
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The product is stable.

The solution is very scalable.

We have been using the technical support and so far it's been very good.

I haven't previously used another system in this category.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

We're still testing and evaluating this option.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.

Linux System Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
  • "The price tag is good compared to the amount of data and high availability provided."
  • "The system should be more intuitive and easier to manage."

What is our primary use case?

We are using as a transition data storage. We have some use case where it has performed bad, and we have some use cases where it has performed well.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped, but the solution can be difficult because we buy hardware. Therefore, it's not always a good solution.

What is most valuable?

• If it is designed correctly, it can be used for everything.
  • It has high availability, and that is what we need it for.
  • The price tag is good compared to the amount of data and high availability provided.

What needs improvement?

• I would like them to enhance the current features.
  • The system should be more intuitive and easier to manage.
  • I would like a more centralized open management system.

The stability is very good.

We have not scaled it very much, but we know it can scale.

We have got it through Red Hat for support. They are okay. We have not used it much for this type of storage.

I was not involved in the first setup.

If you need cheap storage, but still need high availability, it's a good product to look at.

We chose Red Hat Gluster Storage because we were already Red Hat customer when we had to choose.

What other advice do I have?

Try it, but be careful. Also, look into other vendors.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We like to use vendors that we already use.

Download our free Software Defined Storage (SDS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, IBM, LizardFS, and more!
Updated: June 2022