IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Quest Spotlight OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Quest Spotlight is #12 ranked solution in top Database Development and Management tools. PeerSpot users give Quest Spotlight an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Quest Spotlight is most commonly compared to Quest Foglight for Databases: Quest Spotlight vs Quest Foglight for Databases. Quest Spotlight is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 16% of all views.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Quest Spotlight?
Quest Spotlight ensures peak performance around the clock with unmatched monitoring, diagnosis and optimization of SQL Server environments. Spotlight provides access to the details you need for optimal fitness of your SQL Server databases. Get overviews of health and performance, automated alerts and actions, and mobile device support.

Quest Spotlight was previously known as Dell Spotlight.

Quest Spotlight Customers
Jenkon
Quest Spotlight Video

Archived Quest Spotlight Reviews (more than two years old)

DBA at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
A solution with good monitoring features, good stability and has the ability to scale
  • "I consider the solution very scalable."
  • "There's no reporting with this tool, and there really should be. They should add that into future releases."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring databases.

What is most valuable?

The time monitoring is a very useful feature. The solution is also very useful for analyzing if you have a problem. It's free to see via graphics varying times in order to analyze a problem.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is too expensive. They should work on a better pricing strategy.

The solution should improve its capacity to photograph situations and conserve it for the amount time I need, whether it's a day or a week, and to be able to look it up at a later date. The storage needs to be improved.

I've been using the solution for eight years.
Database Development and Management
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, IDERA, SolarWinds and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: July 2022.
622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable.

I consider the solution very scalable.

We have never contacted technical support.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Director of Information at Jenkon

What is most valuable?

The alerting process, ease of setup and configuration are certainly valuable to us, as they keep us informed of the environment when things are running well – but the real strength of SpotLight w/PA is the ability to go back in time to find exactly what was causing an issue (or the pre-emptively highlight anomalies that may become issues in the future). The ability to fine-tune different alert levels, and to have it page the appropriate group for critical issues makes this product a vital part of our support structure.

How has it helped my organization?

The IT and Engineer divisions rely upon the product to analyze existing issues, and QA code changes. This application suite provides us with three different focus points: Customer Support uses it to maintain awareness of current systems-state. Information Technology uses it to understand and track system-level issues, as well as capacity planning, growth forecasting, and 24 hour text alerts of Critical issues. The Engineering team uses it to review impacts of code-changes, and for performance-tuning. Spotlight is the Jenkon single-point monitoring tool.

What needs improvement?

Jenkon is a Microsoft Partner, and we use Hyper-V as our virtualization base. This version of Spotlight provides additional information about “Virtualization Overhead”, but only for VMware (not Hyper-V).

Also, a wonderful “extra” of the Spotlight environment, was the ability to monitor, troubleshoot, and receive alarms directly to our mobile devices – via the Mobile Spotlight App. Unfortunately, the App broke when we upgraded from version 9 to version 10.

We have just participated in the live demonstration/training of the newest version of Spotlight (version 11.5). The good news is that both of these enhancements have been addressed in the latest version.

We started using the Spotlight/PA tools in August of 2013. The original version that we installed was 9.5.0.

The initial installation on our diagnostics server was very straightforward. Basic configuration was very simple, and even the more complex settings that can be set – were described in detail in the documentation.

The application was extremely stable and we had experienced no issues whatsoever, until we had to upgrade from version 9 to support Server 2012-R2. This issue was related to SQL 2008-R2, which required the urgent rebooting of the instance (Which was not a good thing to do with Production servers). We lost visibility of these servers from the new version of Spotlight until the reboot was performed

We had no issues scaling it for our needs.

The issue listed above has been the only time we’ve needed to have support help. They were unaware of the SQL 2008-R2 issue, and have verified that a similar issue does not exist in the new version. They have offered to be “on the line” when we perform this latest upgrade – to ensure our comfort level.

Previously, we were using Confio Ignite to monitor our systems. This product was very reliable, but considerably more complex to setup and configure. Alerting functions were limited, and there was no mobile app available.

The initial setup was straightforward, as this is a clientless install. The application is installed on a Diagnostics Server, with a SQL server back-end. We even use the same server to monitor multiple domains (untrusted). SQL DBAs can also configure specific monitoring/analytics that are more tailored to the details that they need.

The installation was performed by the IT department, and was simple. However, we recommend that a vendor team be involved with any upgrades to ensure compatibilities and assist with any unknown issues that arise.

The Return on Investment for Spotlight is against soft-costs, generally speaking. It has drastically cut down on issue response-time, resolution-time, and development costs (in terms of shorter development/QA times). Work with your vendor to discuss your long-term goals for this product, and set up a test/demo environment first to see the value-add for your environment.

What other advice do I have?

The new version has all of the enhancements that we were hoping for. We highly recommend this to any company that relies upon their SQL DB environments for critical data, and cannot afford downtime (or wish to mitigate issues, and shorten resolution times).

Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, IDERA, SolarWinds, and more!
Updated: July 2022