IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Planview Spigit OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Planview Spigit?
Activate employee and customer engagement. Spigit's innovation and idea management software helps you tap your best asset (your people).

Planview Spigit was previously known as Spigit.

Planview Spigit Customers
Pfizer, UnitedHealth Group, Citi, AT&T, Cambia Health, Siemens, Veridian Credit Union, Polaris, UNHCR, CCA Global
Planview Spigit Video

Planview Spigit Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Planview Spigit pricing:
"Planview could drop the price for Spigit. I've done two market assessments and I think that they're overpriced pretty considerably right now."

Planview Spigit Reviews

Innovation Consultant at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Lack of enhancements and of attention to our needs hamper our use, but crowdsourcing and collaboration features work well
  • "The crowdsourcing feature and having an open, transparent platform where people can submit ideas are among the most important capabilities of Spigit. Collaboration begins immediately upon submission."
  • "Spigit could possibly improve the idea review process or the administrative panel for reviewing ideas. It's not strong. Most of it is done manually by pulling down and reviewing reports. Other platforms are doing it through pipelines and funnels that are all automated."

What is our primary use case?

We use it primarily to run what we consider to be focused or open innovation challenges or initiatives. They are innovation/ideas submission contests.

How has it helped my organization?

The sharing of ideas among users often helps make the idea-review process for our consultant team much more efficient because we can review ideas even before the end of an innovation initiative or challenge. A lot of the work is done on the platform at the front end. Also, a platform like Spigit during COVID times, with the crowdsourcing feature and the engagement, is able to bring people together virtually and to collaborate in a fun and productive way. As organizations look for tools for the "new normal" where people are working remotely all the time, an innovation platform like Spigit can be a tool that makes it easy for people to engage and collaborate. It has increased innovation efficiency and has helped cut our time to market for new ideas. The platform is just a platform but there's a whole other layer to it, which is leadership buy-in and funding. But when you have leadership buy-in, Spigit can get you from: "We're going to run an initiative to solve these pain points," to "Here are the top ideas that we're actually going to put on a roadmap," and it can do so much quicker than any other way of doing it within an organization. In that sense, Spigit could save you months or even years. We've run challenges and have found ideas or solutions within six to eight weeks for things that might otherwise have taken a whole year or more. In a company that is built on roadmaps, oftentimes there is not a lot of leeway for innovations and they will put a good idea on next year's roadmap.

What is most valuable?

The crowdsourcing feature and having an open, transparent platform where people can submit ideas are among the most important capabilities of Spigit. Collaboration begins immediately upon submission. Users have the ability to bring others in through "@so-and-so" mentions in comments.

What needs improvement?

Spigit helps you to prioritize and select the best ideas, although that is dependent on the organization's criteria for what the best idea is. Spigit could possibly improve the idea review process or the administrative panel for reviewing ideas. It's not strong. Most of it is done manually by pulling down and reviewing reports. Other platforms are doing it through pipelines and funnels that are all automated.  But it does help us get to the best idea within an initiative or a challenge. If we set criteria by saying, for example, "We're looking for the one that has the most votes and comments," we're doing things to motivate employees to get socialized and to get buy-in on their ideas. Prioritizing ideas works on the front end but not as much on the back end.

I've been using Planview Spigit for almost three years.

We still find bugs in Spigit. We found a bug where the metrics were off. We submit tickets but we haven't gotten clear answers on why the metric on a dashboard is showing something that is different from the metric on the reports that we're pulling. There could be some improvements to the tech support. Also, there are commenting bugs. If I comment and push the space bar away from it, it deletes the "@" mention in the comment. Overall, in terms of stability, Spigit has stayed up and running. It's pretty stable. User errors are probably the biggest issue.

When it comes to scalability, if you have it open to as many seats as you can for your whole organization, it works perfectly. I used it at a company with between 4,000 and 6,000 people, and it served my needs well. In my current company, Spigit is just being used by our four to five innovation consultants. But the number of active users on the platform can vary between a couple hundred in a group, if we're running a challenge, up to several thousand. We are possibly going to use it for an organization-wide challenge, and our organization has 10,000-plus people. Other than that, there are also moderators whom we pull in on challenges, but they don't do much other than review ideas.

The biggest room for improvement for Planview, from a customer relationship standpoint, is to bring more value to customer meetings. They need to be more open to listening to customer ideas because we are the big companies doing innovation and there are a lot of things that we can offer to improve the platform. Their technical support is okay. It got complicated when Planview acquired Spigit because of the support product that they used. They've simplified it again. But they could definitely improve their white papers and videos. I haven't used them that much but, at one point, a lot of the self-support was super outdated information or not very comprehensive.  The support is there but sometimes it's just indefinite. Sometimes they'll say, "Oh, we don't know if it's our problem or your problem." There have been times where they go back and forth saying, "It's not our problem, we think it's your problem," and our IT folks say, "No, that's a platform problem." As a consultant, I don't have time to troubleshoot a bug. I'm not an IT person and I'm working in a company that's so big that our IT people don't have time for something that might be considered a small bug, if it's not impeding business. When those bugs are submitted to Planview, the company should figure them out and then get back to us and say, "Hey, we've fixed that bug."

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

I wasn't here for the initial setup of Spigit, but getting trained on the program was straightforward.

This is the first or second year that we've used Spigit heavily for challenges and we are probably at break-even right now.

The platform is on a per-user basis. Because we are a huge company, if we were to scale, it would be very expensive. Right now we're using a limited number of seats. They could consider looking into a per-admin or some other type of pricing model. Specifically for Spigit, I would definitely tell other large companies who are considering it to look at potential partnerships based on the per-user price. I would also tell them to look at what features you are getting at this price.  Planview could drop the price for Spigit. I've done two market assessments and I think that they're overpriced pretty considerably right now.

The last market evaluation I did included more than 10 solutions, in-depth, including demos of all of the systems and meeting multiple times with their sales teams and product people. In the past, I've used Brightidea as well as IdeaScale, and we also have a homegrown platform that we built out of SharePoint. A few years ago, Spigit was something of a market leader, but there have been concerns at the companies where I have used Spigit due to the fact that Planview has moved to being a PPM, a project and portfolio management company. Often in our meetings with them, they're trying to sell us other products to supposedly maximize our Spigit solution or our idea management. I've seen their roadmap, I've seen that they're doing an overhaul. Apparently, they do have something coming out in the near future as an enhancement to Spigit, but over the last three or four years it has been pretty stagnant. And if they're going to improve their platform, they should try to stick to a timeline. The timeline they gave us for the rollouts to improve Spigit is almost a year late now. They are falling behind a lot of the competitors out there when it comes to improving the idea management platform. If that platform is not where they want to focus, or where they're making their money, I can understand that. But in the idea management space, they are definitely not the number-one platform anymore. From a partnership perspective, it seems that Planview is not as open to suggestions, whereas other companies I know not only look for customers for feedback but they'll have an open challenge for their customers to submit ideas. And they actually take those ideas and incorporate them into their products, often on a quarterly basis. We've mentioned a few improvements that could be made to Spigit and the response has been, "Oh, well, great. Why don't you buy our other product?" They seem to take the focus away from Spigit and try to move other products from Planview.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to really know what is most important to you. For my team its idea management: front-end collaboration and transparency for the innovators and, on the back end, being able to manage an idea. We want to go from recognizing an idea that has potential, to tracking it through its life cycle. You have to know what you want the platform to do for you. Do you want really good engagement or really good administrative tools that will help you track an idea? Do you want to keep notes on an idea and let people collaborate on it once it's moved from a submission to a graduated phase? Or is it just the crowdsourcing and being able to let people submit ideas that are important to you? If it's the latter, there are things that Spigit can work on, in terms of the administrative functionality, to create a more robust administrative tool. But for the engagement piece, upfront, it works well. We use the solution’s Insight analytics platform and since we're only using it for initiatives and challenges, it works fine. We're trying to understand what is a best practice for an innovation organization and what are the best metrics to track. I used it at a prior company to track engagement. We could see, out of X number of employees, how many were active on the platform. That was a good figure to report on to help track innovation culture. In my current organization, we're still figuring it out. But Spigit does track engagement through employee activity. Each organization has to figure out which metrics they need to measure. What is innovation within the organization and then look at whether the platform actually measures that. We have people on our team who use Spigit's dashboards. But over the last year, Planview took most of the reporting off the platform and moved it, through a plug-in, into other reporting tools such as Power BI and others that I don't know and haven't used. Not being super tech-savvy, I would like to be able to use dashboards and reporting through a simple and easy-to-use tool on the innovation platform itself, rather than going out and learning Power BI. Fortunately, I'm part of a big company and we have somebody who knows those tools, but I'm sure that there are innovation teams with one person who might not know how to use all those tools to run more complex or comprehensive reports through Power BI or the like. Spigit enables you to consolidate duplicate responses from employees, but it's a manual process in our use case, not automated. The part that is automated is the actual combining of ideas, but tracking down duplicate ideas is a manual process. If there were a way to make that process more efficient upfront, it would save us the time of doing it on the back end. If an idea comes up and there are six other ideas that are exactly the same, I'm not going to know that unless I pull a report and look at them all together or I'm able to look at them in a list. It's not like there are platforms out there that have natural language processing, so that if somebody submits an idea, the platform is already scraping the titles and descriptions to start to create a match to help eliminate duplicates within the submission form. Some companies don't believe in using that type of functionality to eliminate duplicates because they think it's a deterrent to somebody when it comes to submitting an idea. My six out of 10 rating is based, in part, on knowing what else is out there in the market. It's also due to Spigit not fitting our organizational needs anymore. And when they meet with us once a month, they should actually listen to what we feel are ways that we could use the platform better. Also, there haven't been a ton of product enhancements, although there have been a ton of promises that they're coming. They have been delayed for months and months.

Private Cloud