We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Oracle Forms OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Forms is #1 ranked solution in top Software Components vendors. PeerSpot users give Oracle Forms an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Forms is most commonly compared to Oracle Reports: Oracle Forms vs Oracle Reports. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is Oracle Forms?

Oracle Forms, a component of Oracle Fusion Middleware, is Oracle's long-established technology to design and build enterprise applications quickly and efficiently. Using the latest version can easily integrate with nearly any modern or legacy technology application requires. Whether application needs to include authentication using Oracle Access Manager, or communicating with Web Services, or running reports in Oracle Reports or Oracle BI-Publisher, or even working with Microsoft Office tools, Oracle Forms can get the job done. Powerful desktop applications delivered with the easy and scalability of a web applications.

Oracle Forms Customers

Cologne Data, Jubilee Life, Shikun Binui Group, DTE Energy

Oracle Forms Video

Archived Oracle Forms Reviews (more than two years old)

Mechanical Designer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Leaderboard
Can be relied upon for speed of development and stability
  • "The most important thing is the reliability. The over-all user control is very important as is data security. The application is efficient. All of these factors are important to our usage of Oracle forms."
  • "The restriction on methods of exporting results of development needs to be more flexible."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to develop applications.

How has it helped my organization?

I think the way that Oracle Forms has allowed us to improve our organization is based on what we have been able to develop through the application. How our application design was developed and how the analysis is done and how the user requirements were built are based on what we planned. We only used the Oracle Forms as a tool. We could have used basic and other tools also, but we selected Forms as our best option.

The main thing which is very useful in Oracle Forms is that we can rely on this tool. There are a very limited number of failures in Oracle Forms compared to .NET Framework or real basic type tools. The last and most important factor for application development is that we can develop an application very fast using this tool when compared to other tools.

What is most valuable?

The most important thing is the reliability. The over-all user control is very important as is data security. The application is efficient. All of these factors are important to our usage of Oracle forms.

What needs improvement?

I think the most problematic point is that we still can only use Oracle Forms output as a Java applet. Most users now demand to access these forms in responsive pages or in browsers that allow the application's size to be adjusted automatically as part of the requirements of a user interface. But interfaces developed in Oracle Forms are not a flexible thing because it opens in a Java applet. Oracle Application Express is not like that. They should switch Oracle Forms to have that kind of interface option now.

We have been using this solution for about 10 years.

Oracle Forms is very stable. 11G is much more stable than 10G. There were actually a lot of issues in the 10G version as it was using JInitiator. But now it is using a Java Runtime environment. I am not working with the 12G and I assume it is as good, but I know for a fact from experience that 11G is a very stable product.

Oracle middleware provides a lot of options for scalability but also requires another kind of expertise. You should have expertise and understanding in developing load balancing in a cluster environment. Oracle Forms middleware provides a classic level application infrastructure so there is an option for scalability. It also depends upon how the application has been developed and designed.

In the previous company I worked for, I think we had 150 to 200 users concurrently. It was not a problem to scale usage.

On a basic level support is very good. Sometimes during troubleshooting of an issue, you get bug patches from the Oracle support to resolve the problem and that is good. But the documentation side of support is very cumbersome and difficult to understand. There is a huge amount of very detailed documentation available on the site. For a technical user, this is a good thing and it is a place to get answers, but at the same time, it is not so easy to find what you need.

The initial setup is too complex. Whoever does the setup has to be an expert in the installation and the configuration. It is not easy. If you are an expert in the deployment infrastructure then there is no problem. But for a beginner, it takes getting some training. He needs some training and he needs some skills. Once you have a hands-on tech with expertise, then there is no problem with the development, and once it is configured, it works very smoothly.

For maintenance, we require only one or two people. The second is really a backup. We also have one person on the administration side for the middleware service. So it does not take a lot of administrative support to maintain.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people who are considering Oracle Forms as a solution is that they should look at the other Oracle products that are available. Forms is not for everyone. So they may want to consider J Developer or Oracle Application Express. Then after they survey all of these options then they can decide what they actually require for their company. Each of the products has its individual benefits and advantages — but also disadvantages as well. If you are working in a large organization, I think they should go for Oracle Forms because it is a very stable and very reliable application. But on the backend, it also requires a lot of resources and infrastructure. That requirement may make Forms less desireable for smaller organizations.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product above average as a seven or eight. To make it a nine or ten, the main features I would like to see is the change from making the output only available as a Java applet in 11G and even in 12G. That should be updated now. The output should be directly available and compatible with any internet browser and it should be available without any Java runtime environment like any other website or any other application without installing anything additional. It should come like that now. That is the main complaint from the end-users who I interact with. When you install a new PC and bring on a new user, they have to do a lot of work for the individual client to configure Java and other things. It seems like an unnecessary requirement.

Ahmad Abdulfattah
Senior Solutions Architect at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Leaderboard
A solution that offers very good performance, with an easy setup and good stability
  • "Overall, the performance of the solution is very good."
  • "The GUI needs improvement."

What is most valuable?

The libraries and packages are all valuable aspects of the solution, as well as form building, and built-in core features.

Overall, the performance of the solution is very good.

What needs improvement?

The GUI needs improvement.

The solution needs to add recording features that can be included on the fly in the forms.

I've been using the solution for seven years.

The solution is very stable.

It's not scalable as a central product. It's a client tool, so you install it on your computer to add a development framework and you develop forms from that tool. After that, you can publish all these applications through the application server. It's not about serving a certain number of users. There is no limit because you just have to install it on each machine.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's quite easy.

Users should be able to implement the solution themselves.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

My advice for others considering implementation is that you have to do some programming for mobile to ensure your forms will be following good practice and your code will be usable.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

it_user486570
Sr. Oracle Developer at a consultancy with 51-200 employees

Valuable Features

It has been around for a long time and a lot of companies are using it. It's pretty flexible for it's age. Reports gives you a lot of possibilities to do multiple queries. It’s really good, robust tool.

Room for Improvement

We do consulting for companies that are already using it, and we do enhancements if they want to add a report or a form. It needs to stay up with the times a little bit more. Everyone wants to move into web services and applications.

It's pretty stable. I don't do much on the database server, so if there is an issue, I give the DBA a call.

I don't think there are limitations. The reports and forms are just fine in the interfaces, so there is not much scaling to do.

I'm pretty pleased with the resolution. They are pretty responsive and we have not had any issues. It is going to be an antsy part of applications soon though, which is one of the reasons we are moving out of it right now.

Other Advice

I would look into the next technology. 80% of the technology in the Chicago police department is still on Oracle forms and reports even though they want to move out. I would rate it an 8 out of 10, however.

it_user436161
Programmer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

Valuable Features:

The best feature we've found is the ability to capture and display exact values in the database. That's exactly what the end user wants to see, because if they store something in the database that they want to retrieve later on, Forms is on the front end. This makes it easy to retrieve whatever was entered into the database before.

Improvements to My Organization:

It's allows end users who don't have technical backgrounds to capture, edit, and later retrieve data in the database.

Room for Improvement:

You can customize it way too much and it becomes confusing to control. You have different users who want to customize it for their purposes, so everybody is doing something different. Then you write a code, and somebody else has to maintain it, which presents challenges.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deploying it.

Stability Issues:

It's stable and we can do whatever we want to do.

Scalability Issues:

When you purchase Oracle Forms, you purchase a certain number of licenses, and so it works for a certain number of licenses. We have been able to add more users and licenses without any problems.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup is complex because our network is private.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Let's say that we spend a lot of money, but it's useful. We're willing to pay for that.

Other Advice:

Spend time playing with it prior to purchasing it, and then make the decision.

it_user436167
Consultant at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It gives us the ability to provide a front end for the customer to access their data.

What is most valuable?

There are a few features we've found very valuable in Oracle Forms. First, it's a very flexible solution. It also gives us the ability to provide a front end for the customer to access their data. Additionally, we can update our database through the application.

How has it helped my organization?

We've automated a lot of the daily administrative tasks through our applications. I go back to the old COBOL days as I originally programmed in COBOL. Forms is kind of like that in that it provides a standard method for us to provide those solutions to the customer again.

In other words, we can tailor the interface, the GUI, so that when users go from one application to another application and to yet another application, it gives us the capability to standardize that front end for the customer so it isn't something totally new when they go in there. It gives them a comfort.

For our bosses, it's a good thing that they aren't getting hammered by functional users saying, "Hey, what are you guys doing?" It's basically good customer service to have a product like Forms.

What needs improvement?

In the form itself building it, you can set up selected update functions in the properties. There are times where that gets disconnected. Essentially, what it's doing is it's pointing to a package in the database to go do its work. The functionality of that piece, occasionally, doesn't know what it is. The form no longer compiles, and you have to go back and redo those. That's the biggest shortcoming that I've come across.

It's been able to deploy without any huge issues.

Everything's been solid. We've had no big stability issues.

It's been scaleable for our needs.

We were using COBOL when I got there, then we migrated to Oracle. Forms provided a much better, higher-quality GUI for the customer.

I think the initial setup was fairly easy. Coming from the display-accept world in COBOL on a VAX-11/780, the biggest challenge was learning the tool. Aside from that, it was fairly simple to use. We had some training, and we took off and ran with it.

We implemented it ourselves with our in-house team.

Every Oracle product is expensive. Forms is no exception.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend training for your developers on the tool.