Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Oracle Essbase OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Essbase is #5 ranked solution in top Database Development and Management tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Essbase an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Oracle Essbase is most commonly compared to Microsoft BI: Oracle Essbase vs Microsoft BI. Oracle Essbase is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 79% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 18% of all views.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Oracle Essbase?
Oracle Essbase is an OLAP (Online Analytical Processing) Server that provides an environment for deploying pre-packaged applications or developing custom analytic and enterprise performance management applications.

Oracle Essbase was previously known as Essbase.

Oracle Essbase Customers
CHU de Rennes, Bellco Credit Union, Akindo Sushiro Co. Ltd, Deutsche Telekom AG, Samarco MineraÊo S.A., PCCW Ltd., QDQ media S.A.U., Boiron Italia, Specialized Bicycle Components Inc., Akindo Sushiro Co. Ltd., Air Canada, Daelim Industrial Co. Ltd.
Oracle Essbase Video

Oracle Essbase Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Essbase pricing:
"Essbase is competitively priced."

Oracle Essbase Reviews

Ricardo Giampaoli - PeerSpot reviewer
EPM/BI certified Consultant, Oracle ACE and TeraCorp Consulting CEO at TeraCorp Consulting
Everybody uses it for financial purposes, but it can also be used for other analytic purposes, such as mathematical models, statistical models, and so on.

What is our primary use case?

Very large and complexes environments implementation, 10000+ users with 24x7 global operation and multiple EPM tools working in sync.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides for faster and more assertive forecast cycles. It enables businesses to improve their process since with this tool, you can do things easily and quicker as the business can create more complex models than were possible before.

What is most valuable?

It's very flexible and powerful and can do almost anything you want if you use a bit of imagination and knowledge.

What needs improvement?

• It needs a faster way to extract data.
  • It needs better documentation, as there's a lot of undocumented commands.
  • It needs a better API.
Database Development and Management
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, IDERA, Quest Software and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: September 2022.
634,550 professionals have used our research since 2012.

More than 12 years.

There were issues mainly because of a Java memory leak and abnormal shutdowns that sometimes corrupt the cube.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

The technical support for EPM is bad. I don't remember anytime that the service support helped me in something. The problem is bigger when you have an environment with more than one product like Hyperion Planning and ODI.

This happens because the products have different owners within Oracle and then different supports and, because of this, if you open a trouble ticket of loading data to planning and you say the words ODI, you'll be push around the two separate support teams indefinitely.

Even if your company has an Oracle support director just for you.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

I've always used the same tools.

EPM is an enterprise suit that is made of some independent tools and to have all of them working together makes it complex no matter your level of knowledge. The bigger the environment, the bigger the challenge is you need to face. Maybe one day Oracle will integrate all their tools. It'll be easier, and the good thing is that I saw a lot of improvements through the years.

Always talk with a Oracle representative and negotiate a discount. I already saw 99% of discounts and a free licence once.

Some times is cheaper if you get a hardware together (helps to negotiate a discount)

I'm a consultant and my only evaluation was on the database. I decided on Oracle because of the database and, during my career, their other tools are starting to come naturally.

What other advice do I have?

Because Oracle products are development frameworks, your final results is as good as the people who implemented them. Make sure that your implementation team is the best it can be, at least for the first implementation. If something is implemented incorrectly at the start, it'll cost you a lot more to fix than to build a new system from scratch. Sometimes it can be so badly designed that it is impossible to fix.

I've been working on implementation for 20 years and I have seen bad implementations everywhere. In fact, I have seen the same tools implemented in the same team by two different people, with one being a success and the other a failure. In the same company, one department says that the tool does not work for them and another says that the tool is the best. The only difference was the implementer. Make sure you get a good team to implement it. The tool has its flaws, but most of time (99%) it is the implementer's fault that you have a bad or slow model.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're platinum partners.
Senior Hyperion Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Great multidimensional analysis with the ability to drill down and dig deep into the data
  • "Unlike relational, where you're linking together multiple tables, with Essbase, you basically define what the dimensions are beforehand, and you define the hierarchy, and then load the data. This allows you to do a pretty sophisticated analysis so that you can drill into it and slice and dice the data."
  • "Essbase has a programming language, and it has a couple of functions to do forecasting, however, their feature set for that is not that good."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a multidimensional database that's used by a lot of different products.

What is most valuable?

Its multidimensional analysis is great. Unlike relational, where you're linking together multiple tables, with Essbase, you basically define what the dimensions are beforehand, and you define the hierarchy, and then load the data. This allows you to do a pretty sophisticated analysis so that you can drill into it and slice and dice the data. If you see a problem somewhere, you can drill in and discover more about it. If you're seeing problems at the state level, for example, you could drill into the city, down to any of the cities easily.

What needs improvement?

It's not a very scalable solution.

Essbase has a programming language, and it has a couple of functions to do forecasting, however, their feature set for that is not that good. What they had for doing the forecasting was another program from another company. They bought the program, then you could actually do the forecasting in Excel, rather than actually doing it in the Hyperion program.

I can't think of any missing features or areas of improvement. Overall, it's a pretty decent product.

The level of stability is basically the same as what you would expect as Hyperion. It all falls under the same umbrella.

I wouldn't say the product is extremely scalable.

I can't recall looking into any ROI details.

What other advice do I have?

While the product can be used both on the cloud and on-premises, I have not tried the cloud version.

I would advise new users to make sure they do very thorough design sessions beforehand instead of just jumping into it. Planning is important in terms of success.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been pretty happy with its capabilities.

Database Development and Management
September 2022
634,550 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director, Financial Systems at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Powerful, stable, and competitively priced

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use Essbase for planning.

What needs improvement?

The ability to drive external reporting out for development could be improved.

Essbase is extremely stable and low-maintenance.

Essbase is scalable.

Essbase is a shell, so your setup is only as complex as your reporting requirements. The actual implementation of the software is easy, it's how you use it that can be complex.

Essbase is competitively priced.

What other advice do I have?

Essbase is a powerful tool that continues to provide value for companies. It's also one of the core databases that Oracle uses. I'd rate it as ten out of ten.

Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, IDERA, Quest Software, and more!
Updated: September 2022