IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Oracle Database Appliance OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Database Appliance is #6 ranked solution in top Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Database Appliance an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Database Appliance is most commonly compared to Oracle Exadata: Oracle Database Appliance vs Oracle Exadata. Oracle Database Appliance is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 77% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 37% of all views.
Oracle Database Appliance Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Database Appliance Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Oracle Database Appliance?

The Oracle Database Appliance saves time and money by simplifying deployment, maintenance, and support of database solutions for organizations of every size. Optimized for the world's most popular database--Oracle Database--it integrates software, compute, storage, and network resources to deliver database services for a wide range of custom and packaged online transaction processing (OLTP), in-memory database, and data warehousing applications. All hardware and software components are engineered and supported by Oracle, offering customers a reliable and secure system with built-in automation and best practices. In addition to accelerating the time to value when deploying database solutions, the Oracle Database Appliance offers flexible Oracle Database licensing options and reduces operational expenses associated with maintenance and support.

Oracle Database Appliance was previously known as X5-2.

Oracle Database Appliance Customers

LifeLock, Incarlopsa, Al Yusur Industrial Contracting

Oracle Database Appliance Video

Oracle Database Appliance Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Database Appliance pricing:
  • "You must pay for the license."
  • "The price of the solution should be less expensive. However, they will increase the price more."
  • "The price should be lower."
  • Oracle Database Appliance Reviews

Lead Oracle DBA at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Affordable, user-friendly, and offers good technical support
    • "The solution is pretty automated, which takes out the possibility of human error."
    • "The product is quite complex to set up, initially. It would be ideal if it was simpler."

What is our primary use case?

We support their warehouse and we are looking into the network data warehouse product, which is tightly integrated. This is pretty much the go-to product for that process due to the fact that it's all in one box, and is pre-packaged. It's all Oracle servers, and Oracle hardware, and Oracle software and it's all in one.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to have different vendors and servers. Everything was all over the place. Now that we are on Oracle, everything is centralized, removing a lot of complexity.

What is most valuable?

The deployment is super-simple as everything is pre-packaged. There's very little configuration to worry about. We manage everything through the appliance. It's easier to manage from our side of the managed databases and add more storage, et cetera. It's very easy to mimic what we need. we can easily add more storage whenever we want. The scalability is great. We had Commodity servers - those bales servers on-premises - and there was a lot of maintenance going on with that. After moving to RDA, life is much easier because everything is managed through those deployed solutions. It's easier to manage this way. From a maintenance point of view and from an upgrade and migration point of view, it is very easy because most of the upgrades are fast. We can take one down and finish the upgrade and move onto the next as necessary. It's easier to manage the patches and upgrades. The solution is pretty automated, which takes out the possibility of human error. The pricing is great. It's much better than what the competition is offering. The product is pretty user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

There aren't really any features that the solution is lacking. The product is quite complex to set up, initially. It would be ideal if it was simpler. Any limitations within the solution are case by case. The solution may work for some, but it isn't for everyone. The product is still evolving. It could still, for example, be more user-friendly. It's not quite perfect yet.
    Oracle Database Appliance
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database Appliance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using this solution since last year.

The solution is pretty stable. I don't recall bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash. I find it pretty reliable overall.

The solution can easily scale. We've found that if we need to add more storage, it's very straightforward to do so. If a company needs to scale, it's not a problem with Oracle. In our case, because we are on-premises, there are some limitations due to the fact that we only have two servers. We understand our limitations and we know it will work well for us over the next five years or so. And then, if we need to expand, we can plan for that. We have about 500 active users within our company on the solution. We have reporting applications and a lot of data manipulations, and all that going on, on this database. It's mostly IT personnel on it currently.

We've worked with Oracle a lot, compared to other previous solutions. The company sells it with support and clients get account managers that they can reach out to. Overall, technical support has been good. I'd rate it a nine out of ten. They are very knowledgeable and responsive. They are very good. We've been satisfied with the service provided.

We used to have similar databases on different servers, and we had to work through different vendors. We had different storage, then different servers, then different vendors and the backup solution was on another vendor as well. There was a lot of coordination required. It added a lot of complexity to everything. With this kind of a solution, everything is on one kind of a black box. We don't have to worry too much and the level of coordination required has dissipated.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It's quite complex. Once you get the hang of it and get it going, it's easier for others on our application team. It's also easier to manage int he long run. The main problem is that it's quite different from what we used to do, so there's a bit of a learning curve during the setup.

The pricing is really good for us. We have no complaints there. It's not as expensive as other products on the market. The excellent price point is one of the reasons we moved to RDA.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Oracle. Due to the current contractual agreements, et cetera, within our organization, we are not doing or considering anything on the cloud - from the database side at least. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. There are still some limitations. That said, it did simplify a lot of things for us, compared to our old setup.

CFO at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
    Easy to implement and handles a lot of data but is too expensive
    • "The product is very light."
    • "Even though the solution can handle a lot of data, it's just too expensive currently."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it in our companies. We work with others, especially at the enterprise level.

What is most valuable?

The product is very light. By that I mean, in terms of response rate, it's light.

Oracle can handle a lot of data.

The implementation process is easy.

What needs improvement?

There are more freeware options out there these days that are less costly if you are a company that can work in the cloud environment. They are much better than Oracle in the price to value ratio.

There should be more analysis for debugging. Right now, this is only available in the Enterprise Edition. If you have the Standard Edition, like us, you're stuck with some limited functionalities. In order to access the best features, you need to level up to the Enterprise Edition.

The software comes with only four cores, which is not really very advisable. It doesn't really help in terms of the modern way of working. While the machines are getting better, at the same time they tend to run a lot of test databases, like virtual machines, and Oracle doesn't work well with all of that. It's only JBM that they work well with.

Technical support is not very helpful if you only have the Standard Edition.

They should work ell with other machines. If it could integrate better, it might be more user-friendly for businesses.

I've been using the solution for more than five years.

It's stable. We've had hitches, however. We have been been using the Standard Edition, so there have been many hitches in that due to the fact that you need the Enterprise Edition and a diagnostic pack to do what we need in order to investigate. That's where we find most of our issues. It's very hard to populate. If you look at the other DBs in the same price range, the functionality is a lot more in terms of diagnostic tools, in terms of helping in resolving issues. The Standard Edition does not solve those problems.

The solution is scalable to an extent. If you look at the Enterprise Edition, yes, it's scalable at the cost, not scalable per se, just scalable at a huge cost. If you're meeting the revenues, if you're large enough to afford it, that's fine. Otherwise, no, it does not scale well.

We have three people, off and on, who work on the product. It doesn't have that many user requirements. We are still not such a huge company, so three people off and on are enough. We have one person on it during the day, one at night, and one extra that can cover.

We need technical support sometimes, however, not much help is covered with the Standard Edition. The best advice we get is "Move to Enterprise, then we can solve all your problems." That's where it is. I wouldn't rate technical support that high.

The implementation process was easy in terms of deployment, however, it's a physical installation which just adds to the overall cost of the solution.

It's not just the solution that's expensive, it's the resources you need to think about that are expensive. In COVID times, these costs were especially rough. It's hard to justify a huge cost, especially in an enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer. I'm not a partner or a reseller of Oracle.

I would advise potential new users to make a good business plan. Think about the cost, especially the per-transaction cost. And what size of database that you're going to need. Oracle is a Ferrari. A Ferrari is an unreliable and expensive machine. It's an expensive purchase. As you scale, the Oracle costs will also go up. It's not like you have a fixed cost now and you not going to have a fixed cost later. You will have a fixed cost on the Oracle and it will keep on increasing. From that perspective, the business plan needs to be right.

There are some regulatory areas that we happen to be in that means we can't move to the cloud. That is why we are still with Oracle. If we could move to the cloud, we would not be with Oracle.

My biggest consideration is the price/value ratio, especially nowadays. Oracle was good when the only other alternative was IBM, and now, not so much. I would say if you're a large business then maybe it's a seven out of ten. If you're a small business then maybe a four out of ten. In general, I would rate it a six out of ten.

Oracle Database Appliance
    June 2022
    611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Deputy IT Director at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    Let a product do what it does best and this product is very good with its base purpose
    • "The database is solid."
    • "Oracle could improve its capacity for built-in visualization."

What is our primary use case?

We use the histories to make reports like the MIS (Management Information System) reports. Mainly it is a database.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable part of the Oracle Database Appliance is just the ability to use the database. We make the reports on our own and let Oracle do what it does best.

What needs improvement?

We try to operate through the ODI, or Oracle Data Integrator, to maintain data integration. We have plans to use Visual I/O for data mapping, data flow, and things like that. Oracle could improve the capabilities for visualizing without other, third-party tools. But it is OK.

We are not looking for any new features in the product. Whatever additional utility we need we have been able to do using Hadoop for now. For us, the product can stay the same. The only way it can improve is by doing even better with integrations to other products like Hadoop.

The company has been using this product since before I came here. It has been in use for a very long time. I would say it is maybe 10 years or more.

Over the course of these ten years, I would say that this product has been stable.

We have recently moved the Oracle Database to work with SAP (Systems Applications and Products in Data Processing). We did this because we are planning to start now to scale up. We have a very good profile now to work with. I think scalability is good.

I think we already have 100 users working with this product in their organizations. We are planning to scale up.

Most of the time we are doing the technical support by ourselves. When Oracle does not offer much support, we have to do it by ourselves.

We started with Oracle. We did not use another product before that.

The initial setup is easy to do because we have the ability to do it in house. We are able to deploy this product by ourselves, without an integrator. That suggests it is easy enough to do.

We have a team of six people that we need for deployment and for maintenance.

There are no additional costs beyond the standard licensing fees.

It is not a product we evaluated to use instead of Oracle, but we have some small products we use with it to enhance the functionality and capabilities. For example, we use Hadoop for data modeling and other things. We plan to keep on using Oracle Database Appliance and we will do our data mining with Hadoop. We saw there was reason to use Hadoop with Oracle to have a better overall solution.

What other advice do I have?

I think for people interested in using Oracle Appliance the main thing is to rely on Oracle for the bigger stuff that it does. Maybe it cannot provide the kind of reports that we want. This is how we have determined the importance of Hadoop to our processes. Hadoop is part of my recommendation to other users who try this product. Oracle can do what it does best and Hadoop can help with reporting on the data. For other use cases, companies may need a different solution to enhance what Oracle provides — to complete one small part of the picture. When you find it, you should use it.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is worst and ten is best), I would rate Oracle Database Appliance as an eight-out-of-ten.

Muhammad Usman Muzaffar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Vice President IT Operations at ZTBL
    Quick performance with all-flash memory, and good technical support
    • "The most valuable feature is the performance."
    • "We would like the ability to add more storage without having to upgrade to Oracle Exadata."

What is our primary use case?

End User response time for Core Banking Application

How has it helped my organization?

By adding ODA in our infrastructure, it helps to spare time for other Adminstration & Research activities..

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance. Its a pre-configured device and you just plug and play..

What needs improvement?

It has limitations of Storage as well as network connectiivty over 10G Fiber.

We have been using the Oracle Database Appliance for about six years, since 2014.

The appliance is pretty stable.

It is scalable, although it only has two storage shelves available.  The total usual storage after RAID dual parity is between 12 and 15 TB.

Technical support is very good and the people are nice.

Prior to using the appliance, we had our Oracle Database installed on a Dell server. We had some performance issues with the system, which is why we switched.

The initial setup is okay. We just have to plug in the machine and set up the applications.

Although, the purchase contract have engagement of the vendors for its deployment and in PAKISTAN we at ZTBL is the first who are deploying the ODA. since its a pre configured machine so no special training is required for its deployment. Moreover, the expertise level of the vendor is satisfied.

By deploying ODA in your infra, you can spare time for other activities instead of resolving issues of traditional system.

Should go wiht ODA , breakup the cost of hardware, setup & Licensing, you will find that ODA is much cheaper than any other solution in terms of setup and operational cost

we had reviewed traditional system configuration like servers attached wiht any SAN storage. But the performance benchmarks we have with ODA is not avavilabe in other options.

What other advice do I have?

The Oracle Database Appliance is a product that I recommend. It is really good for small businesses where there are database-intensive applications that need high performance.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Other
    Founder at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
    Good technical support and documentation, but scalability is limited

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Database Appliance for database consolidation.

What needs improvement?

I would like it if the scalability could be increased without having to change versions. There is only so much that you can do with it. It's not like software that you are free to install anywhere.

I have been working with Oracle Database Appliance for a few years.

We work with two versions, but they are not new versions, and they are not the same versions.

Oracle Database Appliance is a stable solution.

Oracle Database Appliance, as an appliance, is limited in terms of how far you can scale it. Because it comes with prebuilt equipment, there is a limit to how much storage you can put into it. It's a prebuilt Appliance.

If you want to scale, then you have to change. You now have a more recent version. There are several variations. As a result, you must upgrade to a newer version.

In our company, we have six engineers who use this solution.

Oracle has good technical support.

Whether it is local or on the internet, they have good support.

It's not difficult if you've done installations before. There is documentation.

Everything is labeled, but it cannot be done by just anyone; you must have knowledge of the infrastructure.

Even though the documentation is available, everything is labeled and you simply plugin according to the diagram. It isn't a problem. It isn't difficult.

The deployment can be done by one person, either a technician or an engineer.

You must pay for the license. It is usually an annual subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I would give it a seven out of ten as there is a limit to how much you can scale. You can't go beyond what the appliance provides.

Jeremy Lee - PeerSpot reviewer
    Founder/Owner at Catalyst Commerce Systems Sdn Bhd
    Stable, highly scalable, and beneficial return on investment
    • "Oracle Database Appliance is a stable solution. We have clients that have been running it for 10 years."
    • "Oracle Database Appliance could improve by having better integration."

What needs improvement?

Oracle Database Appliance could improve by having better integration.

I have been using Oracle Database Appliance for approximately 25 years.

Database Appliance is highly scalable.

I have contacted the support from Oracle Database Appliance. Their services are no longer up to my expectation.

I rate the support from Oracle Database Appliance a three out of five.

We have seen a return on investment with Oracle Database Appliance. This is why we still support them today.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to look for a company that has their own experience, that is local. This will allow them to have a local understanding of what requirements are needed. Sometimes the international companies may not be aware of the local requirements. One of the reasons that we are very still supporting Oracle Database Appliance is because we feel that Oracle has a lot of customers and a lot of implementers that are local. That's one of the key points that we're still with Oracle.

I rate Oracle Database Appliance ten out of ten.

Oracle Database Appliance is the best.

Mmusi Kekonnwe - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Specialist Databases at Botswana Open University
    Highly stable, but virtualization and support needs improvement

What is most valuable?

The databases run smoothly all night without any administrative hassles. If the database goes down on one of the servers, the load is automatically shifted to another server. You can troubleshoot the one that is down without affecting uptime.

What needs improvement?

Virtualization needs improvement. It's not easy to back up the virtual machines in the Oracle VM architecture. I would also like to see native support for Veeam Backup Software.

I've been using Oracle Database Appliance for about two years.

Oracle's support is not very good.

Setup was easy. Everything is step by step from the first to the last stage.

A company installed it for us but we were with them during implementation.

The price should be lower.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Oracle Database Appliance six out of 10.

Shaamil Ashraff - PeerSpot reviewer
    Architect - Database Administration at Mitra Innovation
    Quick and easy to deploy and configure

What is most valuable?

I picked Database Appliance because it's quick and easy to deploy and configure.

I've been using this solution for three to four months.

Oracle's technical support is very helpful, with very knowledgeable teams.

The initial setup was straightforward and quick - I was able to configure everything within an hour.

The license cost could be cheaper, especially for long-term contracts.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Database Appliance as eight out of ten.

Download our free Oracle Database Appliance Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022