Oracle Big Data Appliance OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Big Data Appliance is the #15 ranked solution in top Data Warehouse tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Big Data Appliance an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Oracle Big Data Appliance is most commonly compared to Oracle Exadata: Oracle Big Data Appliance vs Oracle Exadata. Oracle Big Data Appliance is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Oracle Big Data Appliance?

Oracle Big Data Appliance is a flexible, high-performance, secure platform for running diverse workloads on Hadoop and NoSQL systems. With Oracle Big Data SQL, Oracle Big Data Appliance extends Oracle’s industry-leading implementation of SQL to Hadoop and NoSQL systems. By combining the newest technologies from the Hadoop ecosystem and powerful Oracle SQL capabilities together on a single pre-configured platform, Oracle Big Data Appliance is uniquely able to support rapid development of new Big Data applications and tight integration with existing relational data.

For more information on Oracle Big Data Appliance, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Big Data Appliance Customers

Caixa Bank

Oracle Big Data Appliance Video

Archived Oracle Big Data Appliance Reviews (more than two years old)

PankajKumar4 - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good performance, comprehensive, and easy to deploy
  • "This is a comprehensive solution that is easy to deploy."
  • "The product should be simplified for the average user."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and I provide services that include this solution.

One of my customer's use cases was regulatory work, specifically with a Medicare application. The solution was designed for regulatory reporting and claim management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it can be used in conjunction with Spark memory processing. We are migrating from a mainframe and the Spark in-memory processing time is good. Our processing time has gone to 20 minutes from what used to be two or three hours on the mainframe.

This is a comprehensive solution that is easy to deploy.

What needs improvement?

The product should be simplified for the average user.

I have been working with different firms using the Oracle Big Data Appliance for more than three years.

November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Apache, Teradata and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: November 2022.
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have not had any issues with stability.

Scalability has not been a problem for us.

We have not been in contact with technical support.

I have worked with similar solutions and the main difference between them is the analytics.

This solution is very easy to deploy.

We have an in-house team for deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

The features that I have needed to this point have all been available and this is a product that I recommend.

M. Taheri - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
End-users can build the reports by themselves without really knowing anything about databases
  • "The best thing about the product is that the end-user can build the reports by themselves without really knowing anything about databases."
  • "It seems like the deployment of repositories has become more difficult in later versions of the product rather than easier."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle OBI EE to allow end-users in our organization to build reports from our databases based on their needs and roles.

What is most valuable?

The best thing about the product is that the end-user can build the reports by themselves without really knowing anything about databases. There is a Subject Area that is populated by the administrator. The end-user — without knowing anything at all about the structure of the databases — can use these Subject Area resource lists to build reports that they would like to see. It is all assembled with a drag-and-drop interface. The administrators apply the relevant security roles for the Subject Area content and the users. Every end-user can access the Subject Area to access data they are permitted to access and build a report. The roles from the security setup are automatically applied in access to Subject Area components and in the output of the report.

I think that is a great feature because we, as administrators, just have to define the relevant security in the Subject Area and for every report that is viewed, the relevant security is already applied. Users do not have access to things outside of their privileges.

What needs improvement?

While I have not worked with version 12c extensively — because I am working with 11g in production currently — it is a little more difficult to deploy the repository in 12c. The process has changed from the way it was in 11g. Our deployment for 12c is currently testing only.

I think it would be good if Oracle could supply a solution to embed dashboards in applications. These need to be easy solutions for embedding to dashboards or the environment for making reports. Embedding directly into applications would help end-users a lot.

We have been using the solution for two years.

I have not had any difficulties with the stability of OBI EE.

I did not work with the cubes on Oracle BIEE. I worked with the aggregate tables and I have not yet used cubes with Essbase (extended spreadsheet database). I think for a larger data set that we should be using Essbase, but I have not yet tested it or used it before. It seems that it would be more scalable in accessing and using more data.

I have not contacted Oracle for technical support because I have not had any major problems that required it. We do have minor issues sometimes, but I have been able to solve problems by doing searches on the internet. There is one website that I use when I need to find answers that has very good articles and it is a good resource for learning and solving issues. I keep it in my shortcuts for when I need it. But Oracle is a popular product with a large user base and I can find good articles in various places through searching and that has helped me a lot.

Our deployment time with 11g was short because it was easy to do. I didn't have any difficulties with it. With 12c, I only have a little bit of experience with it in a testing environment. I think it will take longer to deploy in production than 11g.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Oracle OBI EE as an eight out of ten.

November 2022
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Coordinator at Fundo Nacional de Saude
User
Fast, and you don't need technical expertise to use it and produce results

What is most valuable?

It's easy for end users to use. You don't need to be so technical to use it and produce something using the product.

How has it helped my organization?

The speed, provides more accurate information about your business, and the relationship with the manufacturer is good.

What needs improvement?

We need to display the results on our website. I think there is another product that joins with it to give you the possibility. I'm not sure about that.

It's very stable. You need to have some infrastructure to support this stability, but it is stable. It's reliable. It's faster.

Scalability has been okay.

I haven't used technical support. I'm an end user. The company provides it through Oracle the support. I think it's good.  We have no interruptions in the service, and response time is very good.

The guys from Oracle showed us the capabilities of the product, based it on our needs. We gave all the data, information, and said what we need, what we intend to have, what we are expecting as a result, and they produced a PoC.

We started with Oracle. Now every time Oracle adds new features, new products, they bring them to us, they present the products and we try to choose one, when there is a need on our part for that particular solution. Now we have almost the whole suite.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when you're choosing a vendor like Oracle are trust, speed of the solution, results. We've been using Oracle almost 20 years, since 2000, so you have a kind of partnership. You continue with the new release, new products, and new technologies.

Big Data responds to my needs. I can find a very good solution, very easy to implement, all my technical people, even having no training, are able to handle the tool and start to produce something useful.

Look for efficiency in the solution.

it_user430653 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Program Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
​Access to individual data sets and projects can be restricted for specific users and user groups. They need to work on the visualization.

Valuable Features

It supports the two most widely-used Hadoop distributions: Hortonworks Data Platform and Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop. It also uses Spark on YARN, making data processing faster and more stable.

Access to individual data sets and projects can be restricted for specific users and user groups, allowing Oracle Big Data Discovery 1.1 to be rolled out to large groups of analysts securely.

Language processing capabilities are expanded to support more than 80 languages.

Improvements to My Organization

The capability to process so many languages has been our biggest improvement. We were working on customer sentiment analysis for a large media company which has recently taken over a large studio in Hollywood (anonymous for confidentiality reasons). We could work on large unstructured datasets from different parts of the world on Facebook and Twitter to get better insights.

Room for Improvement

They need to work on the visualization of data. That would be a nice, useful improvement.

Use of Solution

I've been using it since March 2016.

We had no issues with the deployment.

We had to pursue several performance tuning measures to bring up the system to scale. Oracle ACS supported us in stabilizing the system.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

In my experience, I'd rate customer service a 6 out of 10.

In my experience, I'd rate technical support a 6 out of 10.

Oracle provides organized documentation on initial setup. We engaged Oracle Advanced Customer Support (ACS) along with our infrastructure team. We utilized our Oracle Big Data Appliance (BDA) server.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with our in-house team. It is very important to begin with an objective approach around the use cases. For instance, it took us around two months to arrive at a consensus on the kind of entertainment program that will attract more viewership towards our client’s upcoming movie channel. Our client was focused on only sports in the beginning.

Other Solutions Considered

We were also looking at QlikView, but it is not fit for scale, hence we switched to Oracle Big Data Appliance.

Download our free Data Warehouse Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Apache, Teradata, and more!
Updated: November 2022