We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Oracle API Platform Cloud Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle API Platform Cloud Service is #17 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle API Platform Cloud Service an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle API Platform Cloud Service is most commonly compared to Amazon API Gateway: Oracle API Platform Cloud Service vs Amazon API Gateway. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 50% of all views.
What is Oracle API Platform Cloud Service?

Oracle API Platform Cloud Service enables companies to thrive in the digital economy by comprehensively managing the full API lifecycle from design and standardization to documenting, publishing, testing and managing APIs. These tools provide API developers, managers, and users an end-to-end platform for designing, prototyping. Through the platform, users gain the agility needed to support changing business demands and opportunities, while having clear visibility into who is using APIs for better control, security and monetization of digital assets.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Oracle API Platform Cloud Service Customers

API Matic, Trunk Club

Oracle API Platform Cloud Service Video

Archived Oracle API Platform Cloud Service Reviews (more than two years old)

marksimpson
Development Director at Griffiths Waite
Validation between the API documentation and the resource endpoints has ensured our documentation and implementation stay aligned
  • "All API usage is now governed and tracked."
  • "There should be closer integration between the API Platform Cloud Service and the Identity Cloud Service to allow IDCS Applications, protecting backend systems, to be linked to the API Applications that consumers use to access APIs."

What is our primary use case?

API Platform is used to manage and monitor APIs as they are published to consumers, both internally and externally to the organization. The cloud service allows us to register all of our APIs as a catalog, link to the Apiary documentation for each API, apply policies (security and usage restriction) to the runtime endpoints, and monitor usage through analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

The API Platform has provided a consistent place to administer OAuth 2.0, Access Key, and other policies across groupings of APIs. It has also allowed standardization in the definition and documentation of the APIs. Rather than APIs being documented in a Wiki and shared through ungoverned Postman collections, we can have more fine-grained access and authorization rules as to who can use which APIs. All API usage is now governed and tracked.

What is most valuable?

The linkage to Apiary and the validation between the API documentation and the resource endpoints has ensured our documentation and implementation stay aligned.

There is an API Gateway for which all runtime traffic routes through to access the API endpoints. The fact that this gateway can be deployed on-premise is an important feature for our financial services projects.

The Call Home pattern that the gateway employs allows the security team to be comfortable with the link between the on-premise runtime and the cloud definition of the policies.

What needs improvement?

The APIs to retrieve the list of APIs should be improved. The need to allow token-based authorization with grant types other than the current password types, allowing us to integrate the API more easily into our public facing custom developer portal. Currently, only tokens generated by the Oracle Cloud login screen can be used.

Eighteen months.

We have no current production issues with stability.

The gateway is lightweight and highly scalable in our experience.

Oracle Product Managers are open to feedback through partners and support of API Platform has been swift. Challenges arise when issues fall between two cloud teams, e.g. API Platform and Identity Cloud Service, so precision and patience are needed with the definition of the problem for Oracle Support.

We used a Service Bus previously. The API Platform has better native support for REST and the Gateway is more lightweight.

Once the architecture is understood, it is simple to configure and setup. The instructions for gateway setup are clear and concise.

We implemented this solution for our client using the Griffiths Waite development team.

This is part of our new digital offering for customers and has helped with new prospects to offer a modern secure API solution. Therefore it is having a real impact on the business adoption of API integration for customers.

The pricing is for each logical gateway (a logical gateway can have multiple physical nodes).

The cost is very competitive for the average load that we expect. However, there is a minimum charge of one gateway, even if no gateway is active, so make good use of the trial before subscribing to check that the product is suitable.

We looked at Kong and IBM API Connect.

What other advice do I have?

There is a clear roadmap for support of standards in documentation and policies. I am keen on the fact that modern consumption protocols, like GraphQL, are also considered. At the moment you can have one policy per GraphQL service, but it would be good to have better granularity. How the platform links in with events is also a topic to consider on the roadmap.

Solution Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Oracle API Platform Cloud Service covers the API Lifecycle from design to retirement
  • "Oracle's APIP CS is a platform capable for consistently covering the complete API Lifecycle from design to retirement, supporting an API-first approach."
  • "The Gateways are communicating with a Management Service, which lives in the Cloud, to send usage information or to fetch changes for the deployed APIs."
  • "I would like to see enhanced support for SOAP Service and the corresponding WS-Security policies."

What is our primary use case?

Since I see API Management as a key enabler for digital transformation and for growing new digital economies, an consistent API Management strategy is important to define. Consequently, an API Management platform is an essential architectural component in today's applications architecture, which needs to be capable for covering the complete API lifecycle from definition to retirement, supporting an API-First development approach, because with that development of new services and functionalities can be done more efficient.

How has it helped my organization?

With API-first, the platform provides a consistent and comprehensible philosophy. It definitely influences:

• The way we think how APIs should be developed.
  • What API Management means from a implementation perspective.
  • What API Management means from an organizational perspective.

What is most valuable?

Oracle's APIP CS is a platform capable for consistently covering the complete API Lifecycle from design to retirement, supporting an API-first approach. The platform provides a strong and intuitive API Design platform, which allows the collaborative creation of new API Designs in an efficient API-first manner.

Furthermore, APIP CS provides a lightweight, flexible architecture and offers a hybrid deployment model, where the API Gateway components can be installed either to Oracle Cloud, third-party cloud providers (Amazon, Azure), or On-Premises.

This allows the creation of very flexible, agile API-driven architectures. This Micro Gateway approach, is especially valuable in Microservices architectures. The Gateways are communicating with a Management Service, which lives in the Cloud, to send usage information or to fetch changes for the deployed APIs. The advantage of this "Calling home" mechanism is that there's no need to define firewall exceptions, since it is an outbound communication.

APIP CS Management Service is a cloud-based application, running only on Oracle Cloud. The Management Service has been built following the API-first principal and is a cloud-native application. The corresponding UIs (Management Portal, API Catalog) are very intuitive and therefore easy-to-use. The implementation and management of new APIs is straightforward. There is not a high learning curve.

What needs improvement?

Less than one year.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Technical support is good, as far as we can see. The community around the platform is growing and is sharing knowledge.

We did not use a different solution before.

Since it is a cloud-based platform, there isn't that much of an initial setup. The only things that really need to be installed are the corresponding API Gateways. This might be tricky the first time, but afterwards, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thinking about the general Gateway architecture is essential, especially with respect to the potential number of API Calls. Typical questions that should be answered in this context are:

• Where should the Gateways be deployed?
  • Do we only need Gateways for external access (DMZ) or do we also need internal Gateways (Green Zone)?
  • Which APIs need to be deployed to which Gateways?

To guarantee high availability of your API Gateway components, corresponding solutions should be established (Implementation of Load Balancers). This is especially important when you have critical SLAs like guaranteed availability.

We also evaluated the MuleSoft AnyPoint Platform.

What other advice do I have?

The API-first approach should be used, since it provides a lot of benefits, like consistent API Design or increased development agility. I recommend to adopt this approach and the philosophy provided by APIP CS to get the most value out of APIs.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an Oracle Platinum Partner.