IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

OpenLegacy OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

OpenLegacy is #20 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give OpenLegacy an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. OpenLegacy is most commonly compared to Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager: OpenLegacy vs Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager. OpenLegacy is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 76% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is OpenLegacy?

OpenLegacy helps organizations quickly launch innovative digital services by extending their core back-end systems to the web, mobile and cloud in days or weeks versus months. Our microservice-enabled API integration and management software quickly reduces project backlog by automating and accelerating microservices and API creation, deployment, testing and management from core applications, mainframes and databases. Together, business and IT teams can quickly, easily and securely meet consumer, partner or employee demands for digital services without modernizing or replacing core systems, and without special programming skills or invasive changes to existing systems and architectures. OpenLegacy is designed for ongoing management of microservices APIs and is based on open standards, so our software plays nice with your current technology stack and supports agile, DevOps and continuous development. Learn why leading companies choose OpenLegacy at www.openlegacy.com.

OpenLegacy Customers

Many of openLegacy's global customers are among the Global 100 companies. Review case studies in these industries: Agriculture, Airport Authority, Automotive, Auto, Finance, Insurance, Government, Healthcare, Manufacturing, and Retail
www.openlegacy.com/case-studie...

OpenLegacy Video

Archived OpenLegacy Reviews (more than two years old)

IT Department Banking Industry at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Enabled us to become more efficient in data handling but the customer support is inefficient
  • "It is possible to solve larger legacy API issues on an enterprise level with this product."
  • "Customer support for the product is slow and not very good. It makes using the product difficult if you need help quickly."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is handling data and transactions. I'm working for a bank in the end we develop and we deploy banking systems to resolve day-to-day issues with banking data and transactions while adhering to all the necessary regulations.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has helped our business by allowing us to become more efficient in data handling. In this way, it has helped us quite a lot. We had several legacy systems, and because we had a lot of separate systems, we had a lot of problems integrating the data for each of them. So we purchased Open Legacy for its integration capabilities and we actually integrated all of them. That efficiency absolutely it helps.

What is most valuable?

The features that have been most valuable in our situation is that this can be used as an enterprise solution and the fact that it is open-source. Partly because it is open-source, it has a lot of features and because of that, it has helped us be flexible with solutions. There is no end in this area to what can be accomplished. I can always learn more and more as I think it is the responsibility of being in my position and using this product effectively.

What needs improvement?

I think the features of many solutions can be improved, but not all have to be and they are not all urgent. The thing we need most is better support. It is hard for us to deploy systems because support is not always available. They sell the product licenses but they do not think about how to support for those who have problems like us which are immediate and urgent.

Other factors matter less than being able to resolve issues quickly. Not everything is negative. The user interface is a good one because the access to the features is not difficult. But for countries like mine and businesses like financial services, the pricing and consistent accessibility to an operational system is imperative. These are some problems and the support for them doesn't go far enough. When we have these problems with the system, we have big problems with our customers. It really bothers me when we need help and we need something or lost something and can't get access to help quickly. This really creates some big problems for us and we cannot handle them or do something about it right away.

API Management
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about OpenLegacy, IBM, MuleSoft and others in API Management. Updated: July 2022.
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been working on this system for approximately the last five years

Based on experiences the stability can be fine most of the time. The system itself is pretty stable. Honestly, some of our solutions and the things we have deployed are not suitable for what should be used in the system. Suddenly we would deploy and reveal that there were problems there and we had made something wrong. It was just because of how we did it and our problems were more about not having enough knowledge. That's because of system inefficiency and lack of support. So I think the problems that we have experienced are not because the product in a sense is because of our lack of knowledge. In other words, we have seen lots of instability, but I think it's not because of the system.

Based on our requirements and functionality we need, this product has met our needs for scalability. At first, our team had approximately about 10 to 20 changes due at a time and our team grew to about 25 people because we had a lot of problems.

We have been very dissatisfied with customer support. We hope they do something about it and that clients who use the product don't experience the same problems we did in the future.

Before I was at the company they had used a proprietary system. There were a lot of homemade, in house, systems. That caused some compatibility issues that needed to be resolved. Using Open Legacy, we actually omitted those issues by not needing to use the legacy components we created separately. We didn't use them and started to use Open Legacy and started eliminating issues.

It may not be the perfect solution but it did solve some problems. In an enterprise system and enterprise companies, migration or changing the basic structure of the solution costs a lot. I think it is not a good plan for us to change in the future. I think that it is not perfect, but they won't want to change it. And if they did, they would not know if it were a better system.

I was not at the company for the original setup so I don't know.

Because we are under certain sanctions for the banking industry and there's a problem with technical support, we worked through test case studies, research and development and had a lot of problems. So then suddenly our deadline comes up and we did it all, but it was on our own. It was a big team and we accomplished a lot. But there are lots of problems without any help and no one with specific experience working on the project.

I would be guessing that since implementing Open Legacy that we have seen a return on investment. It would be hard to put that into an actual amount.

I don't know if the company actually evaluated other solutions when they brought on Open Legacy as I was not yet in the company at the time. But the investment in the system will probably mean it will not be changed.

Because of sanctions, unfortunately, in our country, we can not use a Cloud-based system so even that could not have been part of the evaluation.

What other advice do I have?

If I were to rate this product on a scale of one to ten, I think a five is good enough. The system is good and can accomplish a lot but because support is not so good, we had many problems we should not have had. We waste a lot of time to be stable in using the system, and that cost a lot for us. If there were better support then we would have had fewer problems and we would have saved a lot of time.

Hans B. Otharsson - PeerSpot reviewer
Hans B. Otharsson TitleCCSO - Chief Customer Success Officer at OpenLegacy

Hello - my name is Hans Otharsson and I am the Global Customer Success Officer at OpenLegacy. Your candid feedback and concerns where just brought to my attention. I would truly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your feedback in a more 1 on 1 basis. My direct email is hans.o@openlegacy.com and I hope that we can find time to review. I am also very interested in knowing if the major improvements we have made within our support process over the last 12 months have changed your perspective in any way.

Creator and CEO at KiwiLive
Opens the door to connect modern web products to an old legacy system
  • "Opens the door to connect modern web products to an old legacy system."
  • "OpenLegacy produces a war file which includes everything you need to deploy a Tomcat server."
  • "I would like to see SSL out-of-the-box. OpenLegacy certainly does SSL, but it was not the default for our use case. We are currently working with OpenLegacy to cross the SSL bridge and suspect that most users will want to do the same."

What is our primary use case?

OpenLegacy is used anytime we need to send data from a modern web application into our iSeries legacy system. At this point, we are still developing the web applications to feed OpenLegacy.

Our first use case is entering freight data into our legacy system. With OpenLegacy, we will be able to use a modern web form which is easy for our employees at the freight dock to use, and get data into our legacy system.

How has it helped my organization?

OpenLegacy opens the door to connect modern web products to our old legacy system. Before OpenLegacy, we would either transition our entire system (a huge undertaking) or do painful workarounds to allow for innovative web products to send data back into our system of record.

What is most valuable?

Ease of deployment. OpenLegacy produces a war file which includes everything you need to deploy a Tomcat server.

Less than one year.
API Management
July 2022
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user799497 - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Programmer with 1-10 employees
User
Enables our COBOL programmers to move legacy apps to REST API apps in a few clicks
  • "Using OpenLegacy, the exposure of services is far easier and quicker. In many cases, exposure of services requires just a few clicks and takes only minutes. In very complex cases, it still only takes half a day. Without OpenLegacy, it would take us several months to create the same services."
  • "Using mainframe programs (not screens), the OpenLegacy services do not require any changes by the mainframe programmers, thus reducing development cycles."
  • "OpenLegacy provides a way to go from the outside world to the legacy mainframe, to move the old standard application to a REST API application. New digital services can be created in a few clicks and this can be done easily by COBOL programmers."
  • "Debugging and logging for programmers could be better."
  • "We would also be more than happy if the product had the option to work in the opposite direction – the ability to consume REST/SOW services in the outer world from the mainframe."

What is our primary use case?

I am the chief programmer for the largest credit card company in my country, with 4.5 million credit card users. Isracard has a lot of business logic in our IBM 3270s, and it is impossible to use the regular ESB stack. We have to convert the logic into routines, which could potentially take weeks or even months using the Isracard Business Hub.

In some cases, the old mainframe system has been closed and we can’t get inside easily. The programmers said we needed to make a change, so we looked at OpenLegacy

We use OpenLegacy to give the 30-year-old legacy data to developers so they can make it available to consumers, including customer data, and the transactions between the customers and our business. End customers want access, via mobile, to details about what they bought, where they bought it, and how much it cost.

How has it helped my organization?

Using OpenLegacy, the exposure of services is far easier and quicker. In many cases, exposure of services requires just a few clicks and takes only minutes. In very complex cases, it still only takes half a day. Without OpenLegacy, it would take us several months to create the same services.

With OpenLegacy, it took only two clicks to get REST API to get to digital. We did a pilot and saw that it was easy to do. We can create REST APIs with a basic understanding of the mainframe's business logic, and without having significant Java knowledge.

Using mainframe programs (not screens), the OpenLegacy services do not require any changes by the mainframe programmers, thus reducing development cycles. In addition, OpenLegacy gives us a unified way of “calling” the mainframe programs both in 3270 screens and programs.

Digital is one of our biggest priorities and when we heard what OpenLegacy could do, we actually pursued them. Time to market is a big factor. OpenLegacy helps fill our requirement to go mobile and get more interactive between customers and our business via mobile.

What is most valuable?

We are able to take old legacy customer data and use REST APIs to give customers the best experience. We can do everything via mobile, including payments and transactions between our customers and their suppliers.

OpenLegacy is definitely faster than writing old legacy code. We have the ability to change what we want more easily than the "old" vendor company.

What needs improvement?

Debugging and logging for programmers.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

No, we did not have a solution that could be this flexible and give us the results we need.

The first installation was very simple. A team from OpenLegacy accompanied us but did not have to implement complex things.

What other advice do I have?

OpenLegacy provides a way to go from the outside world to the legacy mainframe, to move the old standard application to a REST API application. New digital services can be created in a few clicks and this can be done easily by COBOL programmers. It is much easier for these programmers who wrote the old code.

OpenLegacy is so much easier. They understand our vision.