IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

NetApp Snapshot OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetApp Snapshot is #4 ranked solution in top Data Replication tools. PeerSpot users give NetApp Snapshot an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. NetApp Snapshot is most commonly compared to NetApp SnapMirror: NetApp Snapshot vs NetApp SnapMirror. NetApp Snapshot is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Data Replication Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is NetApp Snapshot?

NetApp Snapshot point-in-time copy software protects data with no performance impact and uses minimal storage space.

NetApp Snapshot Customers

Mazda

NetApp Snapshot Video

Archived NetApp Snapshot Reviews (more than two years old)

Thushara Bandara - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Engineer at ISM APAC
Straightforward to install and offers good integration with Azure
  • "We are able to easily do Azure backups and restores."
  • "The dashboards are in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We have VMs deployed throughout the organization and we use this solution to take storage snapshots at the VM-level.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the integration with Azure. We are able to easily do Azure backups and restores.

What needs improvement?

The dashboards are in need of improvement.

The configuration could be improved by providing more options, in particular, during the initial setup phase.

It would be helpful if more functionality could be built around migrating files from on-premises to Azure because we have had issues when using Snapshot with very large database files, from 18 TB to 32 TB.

I have been using NetApp Snapshot for more than two years.

August 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Dell Technologies, Hitachi and others in Data Replication. Updated: August 2022.
619,967 professionals have used our research since 2012.

NetApp Snapshot is stable and we have been depending on it for more than two years.

We have had to contact technical support a couple of times because of some issues that we were facing, and we are satisfied with the support. Our issues were resolved.

The initial setup is straightforward, although if they provided more options then it would be better. I cannot recall the length of time required to deploy the solution, but one of the restorations that I performed recently took three hours.

What other advice do I have?

NetApp Snapshot is a product that we depend on and I recommend. It has helped us in the case of installations and other issues. Our main complaints are about the dashboard and configuration options.

CEO at BDPR Technologies Limited
Offers advanced backups with special capabilities and has the unique ability to clone
  • "This mature product is the leader in the backup industry with unique features and capabilities for users with advanced backup needs."
  • "NetApp needs to take a look at their pricing in comparison to the competition and make the appropriate change to attract more customers and gain in market share."

What is our primary use case?

One thing about Snapshot is that it can be used for so many things. Say, for example, I want to take a backup of my database at a scheduled time, I can take a snapshot of that on whatever schedule I want. The snapshot takes just a few seconds to record. During the capture and while taking the snapshot, the database is frozen for me for only a few seconds that the snapshot takes. I can now mount that particular snapshot — or any snapshot — and then begin to do a clone of this database. This means I do not have to take the database offline to do a backup.

That is just one example of what this product can do. Many companies find it very, very useful to use this feature for their backup purposes. I do understand that quite a number of enterprise-class backup solutions like NetBackup and other backup solutions in this category now have integrated snapshots into their solutions as well following NetApp's lead. It just shows that other companies are aware of the fact that it is a very good feature as a way of dealing with backups.

In another case, some of my customers do backups every hour and some backup every two hours, depending on their requirements. The reason for that is they want to protect themselves in case there is any corruption or anything happens to their data. If so, they can roll back to the most current and the most useful version of their database.

Snapshot also comes in very handy with their cloning feature. Say, for example, you want to create a new product and you want to make sure that you test the product on your live database, but you obviously do not want your development to have any impact on your live database. This is an instance where it is useful to do what NetApp calls a clone.

You create the clone and a current snapshot is embedded in the clone. So now you can take a copy of that volume of whatever you wanted to clone, and then you can begin to use this for the development of your new product. The footprint is very small in the sense that it is already data that you modified and that takes up very little space. You cannot modify any of the live data and you cannot add any new data. The actual memory space that you are using by working with the clone is almost zero but it is the same data captured at the moment where the snapshot was created.

So those are a few very good advantages that the Snapshot product has. The ability to clone is unique. The cloning feature is called FlexClone.

What needs improvement?

In the FlexClone, I currently have not seen a need for any particular improvements because it is already so flexible and so robust. I do not think that most of my customers have actually exercised the features that are already embedded within the design of FlexClone.

I am not seeing how these features that the customers already have but do not often need to take advantage of really need to be improved. They are very useful when needed, but just are not often used. We are talking about clients in demanding industries like in banking and financial industries, and also in oil and gas. If they do not need more functionality and can perform the tasks that they need without interruption because of the current feature set, there is really nothing to add.

There is one thing about documentation. The documentation is always very good. But you know, there are some people who are very lazy when it comes to reading documents. This is more of a problem than the application.

If there is a problem with the product itself, I don't know what it is. If NetApp wants to have a bigger share of the market, I would suggest they look at the pricing in comparison to the competition and make the appropriate change. The pricing should be lowered. If the pricing could be made more attractive, then without a doubt they are going to have more customers and they will advance in the marketplace. No doubt about that.

I have been working with NetApp Snapshot for about 16 years as a reseller.

NetApp is extremely stable. No doubt about that.

Scalability is very good. For example, if you start with the most elementary package, you can easily migrate to the mid-range package. All you need to do is change your contracts. Once you address your contracts, the product is already scaled to the mid-range. The same thing applies to the enterprise. Because of the way it is structured, you have the entire structure of the product already there. The solution that we use for the entry-level is the same solution that we use for the mid-range and also the same structure we use for the enterprise version. So the only thing that makes a difference are the contracts. This structure makes it very easy to scale — vertically and also horizontally. So the scalability aspect of the product is very, very good.

We have all types of customers. Our clients are small, medium or enterprise companies. If they are a small company just starting, there is a NetApp version for them and they can start with the minimum contract. If they are a medium-sized company, there is a version available for their needs. If they are an enterprise-class company, they can start with the enterprise contract. Mid-sized and small clients can scale up as they need to just by paying more to upgrade the contract. It is very scalable.

One last thing is that you can have both NAS (Network-attached Storage) and SAN (Storage Area Network) in the same storage component. So when they buy the product they can use the same storage for both NAS and SAN and everything is embedded in the system.

When it comes to the technical support system, they keep tabs on whatever they know has been reported and what has been resolved as far as bugs. They know what patches or updates were issued to resolve the problem. If you have any issues, you report them straight-away. All the people within the loop of the support team are copied on the report so they all know what is going on. That information is also available to the central support family as if you have one dedicated technical service representative.

They take immediate action to make sure that whatever problem has been reported is taken care of within the specified time that you purchase from NetApp. So if you purchase to have a resolution within four hours or within twelve hours, as long as the fix is available, you will receive your resolution within that time. To the best of my knowledge, NetApp has been able to keep to those timelines and meet the demands.

If it is the next delivery day, then they will send the bug fix to your office. It is very easy to repair things. You locate the component that needs to be replaced, you remove it and put in the new one and you are ready to go, straight-away. It is very easy.

In my old position as the managing director of the company, I did not go into that level of detail with the clients as far as being directly involved in the setup. There were other people who we sent out on location. So I have a broad overview of what NetApp software needs for the setup.

I think that NetApp is very easy to set up. To put it in perspective for someone that has never worked with this product before, this usually means that they will be starting a migration into NetApp. They start this by doing the initial installation of NetApp. Then they create your aggregate data set, then you create your volumes, then you create your nodes. Then you map your nodes to your server and then you are good to go. So it is very straightforward from that perspective. It may be more complex if a client has special requirements. This is the same for most products.

As far as their licensing costs, the licensing is paid on a yearly basis. The organization pays for the licensing based on the software and the capacity that they choose. Once the license expires, you can renew it for another year up to the time that the software is supported. As soon as the support ends for the software it is unavailable. You have to update the license and you need to re-purchase storage.

Updating is really not an alternative anyway in a competitive market because technology is not stagnant. Technologies advance for many reasons and there are more capabilities available all the time. It is much better for the user if they make sure to keep tabs on the technological advancements.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people who are considering NetApp as a solution is that rather than just looking at the solution and what it does, they should look at it in relation to their business requirements.

I believe that the sophistication of Snapshot is not necessary for every company because of what you have to pay for it. Any company that needs to make backups can use the products from any vendor who sells a product in this category because the product is going to make the backups. The advantage you have with Snapshot, in addition, is to have the availability to make very quick backups. So even if you do not want to use the resources to backup data by uploading it to separate storage, your backup is still available for you intact within NetApp, and you can then do the uploading. So that is a very good feature. No doubt about that.

But this idea of evaluating need applies to all companies with respect to what they are doing. They need to consider which product fits them.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this NetApp Snapshot product as a ten-out-of-ten.

In the case of Snapshot, you can quickly grasp how to use something within a minute by reading the documentation. Instantly, after you start using it, the process always becomes ingrained in your brain. The software is so well developed and mature that the processes are not changing often. To the best of my knowledge as someone who is using NetApp for 14 years, it is an important thing to have the processes in the application as well-thought-out and stable. Although there have been improvements over time, NetApp is a very stable application that is easy to stay familiar with.

In fact, it may not be the application that needs to change so much as the clients using it. They may need to get some storage devices replaced because of the Snapshot features are so robust. That is also how NetApp gained ground in the market with that particular app: by being the leader.

August 2022
619,967 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Solutions Engineer with 10,001+ employees
Very good repurposing and backup features with an easy initial setup
  • "The most valuable features of the solution are the repurposing and backup features."
  • "The solution could include more databases and make it accessible to the DBAs. The automation process should be run in a way where it could be run from the database itself."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the solution is mainly for backup and recovery. We also use it for repurposing the workloads.

What needs improvement?

I’ve been using the solution for ten years.

In terms of stability, it’s very good. We've never lost anything. The only downside, I would say, is it does take a while to browse through. Sometimes I wait for maybe three minutes for something to come back so that I can get a proper listing and find what I need. If it's used with SnapManager, it does take long to update from the GUI.

Right now, we don’t plan to increase usage. We have 150-200 people on the solution currently. We will still use the solution, but not so extensively.

Technical support is good. However, sometimes we are put in touch with an agent that is not so knowledgable.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment took about three weeks.

Mostly we handled the deployment ourselves, however, we did hire a consultant to assist us with implementation.

We bought the license with the machine, so we put everything together and paid for a bundle.

What other advice do I have?

We use a hybrid deployment model.

If you do have a storage device, I would strongly recommend that you implement it, especially with the ransomware that's going around. It offers quick recoveries for users, especially on file servers.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

System Administrator at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable solution that works very smoothly and performs well
  • "SnapMirror and Snapshot are both very reliable products."
  • "The company could update their products more regularly."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of SnapMirror and Snapshot is for site to site replication.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the console which is the on top command that we use daily. The console is very nice for viewing and we really do use it on a daily basis. They also throw in file arms and disk size.

We normally have two VR sites that we just replicate. We'll start it in the evening and already by the next day we can see that the replication time rate is moving, the turnover rate is verified and there's no issue. I believe that there's now a new NetApp with flash and lots of other features, although I don't remember the name of the hardware.

What needs improvement?

For improving the product, I would suggest that NetApp update their products more often. It's possible that I might only get one update in a two-year period. Other products seem to have more regular updates.

Also, we use two controllers in our company. If I have a hard disk in the first controller, it can't be used in the second one to virtualize. There will be a motion but it's not a new motion. It isn't synchronized. If I use a SATA (computer bus interface) in the first controller, I can't use it in the second.

We've been using NetApp Snapshot and NetApp SnapMirror for about nine years.

The product is an amazing solution. In the nine years we've been using it we've never had any downtime and no issues regarding updating and new parts. My manager is also very happy with NetApp. Last month we had a problem with the backend because NetApp was creating duplicate snapshots. But otherwise there have been no problems with the product, no problem with the console, it works very smoothly, it's fun and has no issues. I have nothing bad to say about NetApp. They are always good. Even when our hard disk crashed, we received the new hard disk within 24 hours. So there's no issue there, they perform very well.

We're not necessarily planning to switch. When we want to bring in new products we need to have a commercial technical evaluation, so we bring in around two or three people to suggest options. I will give you an example: It's like purchasing a car. When I go to the showroom, I will tell the salesman that I want a Mercedes Benz. He will tell me, don't buy a Mercedes, it has no extra features, take a Porsche. So Dell and NetApp are like a Mercedes Benz and Porsche. They are in competition and Mercedes Benz is trying to reach the level of Porsche.

What other advice do I have?

Our license is coming to an end shortly, at the end of the year, and we will lose the warranty so we're planning on implementing a replacement. We need to get proposals for the new NetApp or new Dell and see who is the winner. Dell has come up with other features, so there's a lot going on now.

I would rate this product 10 out of 10.

Head of Unit at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A very fast solution that is stable and doesn't use up disc space
  • "The solution is fast and it doesn't use any disc space at all. You can also take as many snapshots as you like. These are the solution's most valuable features."
  • "The price could be a bit lower."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup and disaster recovery.

What is most valuable?

The solution is fast and it doesn't use any disc space at all. You can also take as many snapshots as you like. These are the solution's most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The solution has already updated the one thing I didn't like about it. At the last update they maximized the count of Snapshots. It used to be 255, and now it's 1000.

The price could be a bit lower.

I've been using the solution for 15 years.

The solution has perfect stability.

Scalability is good. It's very easy to expand if you need to. We've been happy with the scalability offered. We have about 2000 users currently.

I think that technical support is very helpful. If I have a problem, they contact me and help me solve it.

We didn't specifically use another solution. We use HPE systems in tandem with NetApp, so I wouldn't say that NetApp was replacing any other product.

The initial setup is very easy.

I have handled the installation a few times by myself, so in most cases I don't need any help from the NetApp or any other support team.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it nine out of ten.

Manager with 11-50 employees
The technology is very easy to use and one can easily scale

What is our primary use case?

In the current environment we keep Snapshots for only five days. So we go into the backup solution of using Veeam and VMware.

What is most valuable?

What I find most valuable, is the simplicity of the technology. It has a user-friendly interface.

What needs improvement?

I think the automation needs some improvement. It is not very user-friendly and could therefore be adapted a little.

I have been using NetApp Snapshot for around 11 years now.

The solution is very stable.

In my opinion one would easily be able to scale on this solution. We currently have about ten users.

The technical support is very good and I will rate it ten out of ten.

The initial setup was really easy and straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

If I have to rate this solution out of ten, I will give it a ten. It is a very good product and in the next version the developers can perhaps work on more automation.

System Administration Supervisor at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
An overall good solution with an easy initial setup and fair pricing

What is most valuable?

The feature that's most valuable is the ability to take a snapshot from a machine or VMware.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to ensure it has higher availability or business continuity.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is good.

Technical support was good. We used them when we were upgrading the solution.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The pricing of the solution is good.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the private cloud deployment model. We just upgraded to the latest version of the solution.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A very mature solution for point-in-time data state capture but their support needs improvement
  • "This is a very mature product that does exactly what it needs to in taking temporary pictures of data states."
  • "Although support is good, the global support is lacking depending on location."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to take a snapshot of a current data state. We can use that, for example, if you make some changes — even minor changes database — you take snapshots of the data in a state that you believe the data is good. After that, you make a change to something in the data or maybe something happens where you lose some information or you make some other mistake — accidentally delete data — you can revert to the snapshot and your data will be restored to the point where the snapshot was taken.

The point is to create states so that it is impossible to lose big data. Sometimes people use Snapshot for other purposes — which is not correct — like for making backups. It is not a good idea. You can, technically, use it for that purpose, but I do not recommend it. Some of the information is saved on the same physical media when using Snapshot as a backup. The backup is on the same physical media as the original information, so if something were to happen to the physical media, you lose also backups.

How has it helped my organization?

Snapshot has improved our operations by allowing the opportunity to manipulate data sets without having to worry about making major mistakes with the data.

What is most valuable?

Snapshot has a specific purpose as a means to take a temporary picture of the current state of the data. This is its main feature but also the most important and valuable. Really, it is the only thing that it does.

What needs improvement?

Because the product is so mature — it was developed 25 years ago — every major feature that should be added to the product is already added. It doesn't seem that this product can be improved upon in significant ways. It is used to make a snapshot of the current data, that is what it needs to do and it does exactly that. I don't think that it can be improved at all. It is like a wheel: it is a round wheel and it is doing its job. You can make a wheel with a different shape, but it won't be better than the round one.

Rather than the product itself, the one thing that could possibly be improved is that NetApp global support is not very efficient. I had some issues that I contacted support about and sometimes they react to issues slowly. But the reaction time may be according to the exact product in the NetApp line and the hardware being used. There are different products in the NetApp Snapshot line, built with different approaches. Some are more difficult to use.

But from my experience and what I have heard from other users, the level of support in general for NetApp should be improved for better global coverage.

We have been using this solution for about six years.

The Snapshot product just works. In my opinion, you can't talk about the stability of this small component which is just part of a whole system. It is something like talking about the stability of a screwdriver. On the other hand, I think that actually the entire NetApp system is mature and stable.

By itself, it isn't really correct to talk about the scalability of Snapshot. Snapshot just takes what is essentially a photo of the current state of the data. That photo itself cannot be scalable. As far as the whole system — such as the storage capacity and the hardware components — this is scalable, but not the Snapshot itself. Imagine a hard disk which is part of your computer and this computer can be part of a larger network. The network can be scalable or not scalable. Your computer, which contains the hard disk, can be scalable or not scalable. You can add CPUs, you can add memory, you can add additional hard drives and so on. But the hard disk inside your computer, can not be scalable or not scalable. It's just a component.

Claims from my colleagues concur that they are not entirely happy with the level of global support. I cannot say that NetApp support is bad because it's not. But, for example, my colleague from Russia claims that they had some problems conversing with and getting support in some cases. Not all cases. It highly depends on the country and your location as to whether support is available during convenient hours.

But another problem, for example, is the availability of spare parts. Some hardware and spare parts are available subject to local customs procedures. So, when someone makes a claim that support procedures are slow, it may not be NetApp that is the problem because they can not do anything about the customs. It's a problem caused by local laws, maybe the importers, maybe customs, maybe someone else and not the vendor at all. Blame about slow support may be getting put on the company when it is not their problem at all.

Installing NetApp is not like a fridge where you just plug it in a power outlet and you are okay. No. It is necessary to know something about the product. NetApp writes excellent documentation and they also have some resources for partners that make it easier to use. I do not think that it is highly complex because I am familiar with it, but it is necessary to have done some preparation and gain some familiarity before the installation. You can not drive a car without the training and without passing the exams and so on. It is the same with Snapshot.

The need for assistance and the complexity of the installation depends on the product. If we are talking about Data ONTAP, you should have a technical background or maybe use resources like a vendor or partner to help with the installation. If we are talking about the HCI, you don't need to have a strong technical background. Many people decide to use or are moving to HCI solutions because they are simpler for the customer. At the same time, it is not quite as good of a solution for me. But people use what they want to have and sometimes ease-of-use is more important than specialized functionality.

But the coding for the more classic solution, Data ONTAP, requires some technical background or assistance to install.

A lot of vendors have a Snapshot solution. Snapshot is just the name of a solution by NetApp and represents one approach. Different vendors have different types of solutions for capturing data states. For example, it's like a diesel car, a car that runs on ethanol, or electro cars. All of them are cars. It is the same situation with the Snapshot solutions — they all make snapshots. NetApp invented it first and then other vendors just created something which looks like and behaves like Snapshot. NetApp's Snapshot is better — if we compare with all the storage solutions — because there is no performance overhead.

If we are talking about classic storage, the products are not so different if we are comparing NetApp and other snapshot solutions. In my opinion, Data ONTAP storage performance is very good, and the other vendors are just trying to achieve the same performance.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate NetApp's Snapshot as a six or seven. The problem with offering advice about this product is that it is just a component of a system. It is almost like somebody is asking you about how skilled you are with computers. If you think that skill with computers means you can push a button and something happens, you may be very skilled pushing that one button, but the skill is just pushing a button. You can press it or not. But if you have a whole keyboard, you won't press only one button. You buy the keyboard and use the whole keyboard. Some buttons will be pressed more frequently than other buttons. But you can not have a keyboard with half of the buttons or can't use a keyboard that is missing the one button you know how to use. On a keyboard, you can not say one button is more useful than another one. A keyboard is a whole thing. The NetApp solution is not just the Snapshot solution. This is a small part of the storage system. It is very useful — just excellent — but you can not use it without storage and other parts. You need the whole solution. It would be like buying a wheel without the car. You should not pay for something you can't use or have no need for in the first place.

I can answer generally about the NetApp system, and I think it is a seven.

Manuel Costa - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator - Infrastructure Area Coordinator at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
It takes less time to do backups and it has good customization options
  • "Compared to the traditional way we did backups, with Snapshot it takes us less time. It has improved my organization by saving us time."
  • "Not a perfect ten because there is one point off to give it room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the on-prem deployment model of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The speed is the most valuable feature. The interface is user-friendly and we can do a lot of customization with it.

I have been using Snapshot for almost a year.

It's very stable. We had one bug, but regardless, the solution worked as expected and we didn't feel any impact regarding the bug. It was very straightforward to install the parts and the service keeps running, so I'm happy with the solution.

Scalability is different from the other solutions that we have used. We haven't needed to scale yet but if we were to, it has good capabilities. We have around 200 users using this solution.

Their technical support is very good.

We used standard backup solutions by Dell EMC. We actually preferred Dell EMC solutions.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The deployment took around half a day.

We used an integrator's help for the deployment but it was very simple to install and to use. It's very straightforward.

It's not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm quite happy with the solution and the integration it has with other products. I would recommend it to someone considering it.

I would rate it with a nine out of ten. Not a perfect ten because there is one point off to give it room for improvement.

OkanGursoy - PeerSpot reviewer
Storage & Backup Expert at 4S Bilisim
Easy to use Snapshot and clone capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for backup purposes in a private cloud environment

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the snapshot and clone capabilities.

This solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see cloud features added to the next release of this solution.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This is a very stable solution.

This solution is scalable. We have approximately seventy-five users.

We have no plans to increase our usage at this time.

The solution has been working so I haven't had to contact technical support.

I am using HPE 3PAR in addition to this solution. We have not switched.

The initial setup of this solution is complex.

The Professional Services group from NetApp implemented my storage solution, and the deployment took one day.

The price of this solution is fair. It is not expensive.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good storage solution, but it is not extraordinary.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Jagdish  Hegde - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Storage Engineer - Cloud Platform at Ellie Mae
It centralizes your data
  • "You never have to worry about maintaining millions of files stored across several thousands of virtual machines."
  • "It centralizes your data."
  • "You never have to worry about protecting your virtual machines."
  • "If your data is more dynamic and changes frequently, you need more granular retention levels and need to save it for a longer duration, then this becomes a real challenge."

What is our primary use case?

Storage-based snapshots without an operational or management overhead, which is usually the case with any backup software.

How has it helped my organization?

Did you lose your VM? No worries, spin up a new VM and attach to data. Set a policy and tag it during storage provisioning. You never have to worry about maintaining millions of files stored across several thousands of virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

• It centralizes your data.
  • It lets your storage take care of backup, DR, and BCP.
  • You never have to worry about protecting your virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

If there is a way to save more on the number of snapshots, it should be included in the next release.

More than five years.
it_user527271 - PeerSpot reviewer
Exchange Administrator at Albuquerque Public Schools
​More reliable and accessible data protection than backups alone

What is most valuable?

The data protection provides peace of mind.

How has it helped my organization?

More reliable and accessible data protection than backups alone.

What needs improvement?

Specialized applications like SnapManager for Exchange (SME) are finicky.

My experience with SME is that it is not as stable at the overall Snap platform (which is part of ONTAP, not a separate product like the SnapManager products). SME does a fine job of backing up Exchange databases, but due to the HA nature of DAGs, there are times when a primary database switches from server to server. When this happens, SME does not elegantly handle that transition; as a result, there can be missed snapshots. This means gaps in your recoverable timeframe.

I'm not sure how to fix the issue as I'm not a software developer. I'm sure there are complexities that I don't see.

More than six years.

Only with SME, especially going between versions. So, rarely.

Very good.

Straightforward, once you fully comprehend the concept. It's not 'simple', but it works well and is comprehensible.

What other advice do I have?

Do it! Don't not do it.

Download our free Data Replication Report and find out what your peers are saying about NetApp, Dell Technologies, Hitachi, and more!
Updated: August 2022