IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Microsoft Azure Container Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure Container Service is #1 ranked solution in top Containers as a Service vendors. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Azure Container Service an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Microsoft Azure Container Service is most commonly compared to Amazon EC2 Container Service: Microsoft Azure Container Service vs Amazon EC2 Container Service. Microsoft Azure Container Service is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 26% of all views.
Microsoft Azure Container Service Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure Container Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Microsoft Azure Container Service?

Azure Container Service optimizes the configuration of popular open source tools and technologies specifically for Azure. You get an open solution that offers portability for both your containers and your application configuration. You select the size, the number of hosts, and choice of orchestrator tools, and Container Service handles everything else.

Microsoft Azure Container Service was previously known as MS Azure Container Service.

Microsoft Azure Container Service Customers

Esri, BIO CATCH

Microsoft Azure Container Service Video

Microsoft Azure Container Service Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure Container Service pricing:
"Microsoft Azure Container Service has costs but in the container environment, there are no costs because it is open source and we are using Docker as the container engine in the master and worker nodes established in the Azure environment."

Microsoft Azure Container Service Reviews

OmidKoushki - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect at KIAN company
Valuable cloud features, easy storage systems creation, and simple configuration
  • "Storage is one of the most beneficial features of cloud providers, specifically Azure because when you are working in their cloud environment, you can easily use a storage interface and a storage object that is provided by Microsoft Azure. In a local environment, you have to be involved in establishing and setting up distributed storage file systems for containers which are very difficult and complex. In a cloud environment, you are not concerned about the storage and the dashboard provides you with storage objects with high availability."
  • "f Microsoft Azure can provide GUI dashboards for end-users and administrators to work separately to manage all the Kubernetes clusters without a need to connect to Azure environments and through CLI it would be better."

What is our primary use case?

In our company, we are working on establishing containers for development teams. This idea is very new in my company and we are starting to migrate some of our applications, such as internal software applications that are running in the production environments. Additionally, we are providing Kubernetes and container environments for one of my customers that has a data center. I am involved in designing and developing the container infrastructure for two teams, DevOps teams, and development teams.

How has it helped my organization?

You save time and resources by using this cloud service over the on-premise deployment.

What is most valuable?

When comparing this solution with the on-premise environment Azure AKS, this solution is far superior. It has a lot of good features, such as reduced time and energy for the administration of a control plane and worker nodes because they are provided by and managed by Microsoft. We have to specify the number of nodes we are going to work on, Microsoft offers scalability, available master, and worker nodes. Additionally, you do not spend time on security, patching to fix bugs, and vulnerabilities, everything is managed by Microsoft. The cloud version provides a load balancer all configured by Microsoft, while in the on-premise version you have to implement a load balancer and you have to be involved in configuring the load balancer which is a long process.

What needs improvement?

If Microsoft Azure can provide GUI dashboards for end-users and administrators to work separately to manage all the Kubernetes clusters without a need to connect to Azure environments and through CLI it would be better.

In an upcoming release, the solution could improve by having better security. Security is a big challenge in the containers and if Microsoft could provide a simpler method to authenticate or authorize and integrate security features to vulnerability channels, for example, online scan images and Docker containers, it would be helpful. It then would be possible to integrate the whole stack of containers with Microsoft Azure technology. You would not need to rely on Linux features and would be able to rely on Microsoft technology, such as Active Directory and encryption protocols.

Amazon EC2 Container Service vs. Microsoft Azure Container Service
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon EC2 Container Service vs. Microsoft Azure Container Service and other solutions. Updated: July 2022.
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

I have not been involved in contacting  Microsoft engineers and Microsoft support because at this time we do not have any complex problems or trouble that we cannot solve ourselves. However, Microsoft's support is in a cloud environment is a great benefit, they are very supportive and helpful.

I have previously used other solutions.

One of the benefits of Azure is the simple administration, most of the operational activities are configured by Microsoft.

In my on-premise environment, I am involved in installing and configuring the on-premise cluster for approximately three master nodes with ten worker nodes in one week. When comparing with the Azure environment, I did the same in less than one day. It is very simple and if you understand Kubernetes objects you can easily in two or three hours establish a cluster and container environment.

Microsoft Azure Container Service has costs but in the container environment, there are no costs because it is open source and we are using Docker as the container engine in the master and worker nodes established in the Azure environment.

I have evaluated many other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing this solution you have to consider is the internet connectivity to the Azure environment. For some countries that have sanctions, moving data on the cloud environment might not be allowed due to local regulation. In general, Azure Container Service and competitors, such as Google or Amazon, are more than beneficial in comparison with local on-premise environments.

I am working in a few companies as a consultant. I advise them on whether to move to the Azure environment cloud or on-premise and ultimately they choose the option based on my advice. One of the companies migrated on-premise workloads to Azure and uses container services. However, in another company, we do not need to go to the cloud due to some local regulation and therefore we have to establish an on-premise environment.

I rate Microsoft Azure Container Service a nine out of ten.

Delivery Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
Reliable, expandable and great for Microsoft-heavy environments
  • "It's a great product if you are in a Microsoft environment."
  • "In terms of the container strategy, they need to make it more compliant with the Linux OS."

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable.

It's a great product if you are in a Microsoft environment.

The scalability is good.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the container strategy, they need to make it more compliant with the Linux OS. The containers are currently, Azure services. In terms of large Fortune 500 companies, they are very much into Microsoft services, and it is quite operatable.

In SMEs, in small, and medium case businesses, their landscape is scattered. They are not predominantly Microsoft and, depending on different geographies, their OS could be different. They might want to do a bit more functionalities on the Linux OS side as well. They need to be far more compatible, beyond Microsoft.

I've used the solution within the last 12 months.

The stability is good. I'm working with different clients. So far, there are no major issues. I'm not sure if there's anything that has come out recently, however, overall, it has been the preferred service provider for container services.

It is definitely scalable. If your applications are cloud-native and you are able to plug in the functionality into different microservices, then definitely it makes it easier for scalability. Overall, the functionality of Azure Kubernetes is quite scalable. We need to look into the client's application environment. If there is a lot of legacy code, there are a lot of complexities within the code, and then how are we going to tackle that.

I haven't reached out directly to the technical support team. It is not exactly the role that I play. It comes down to the technical team, the tech leads, to reach out to the support team.

Overall support is quite good. It just depends on the seasonality part of the request as well. During the peak seasons, during Christmas or Black Friday and all that, sometimes you receive a delay in response. In general, it is quite good. There are no major hiccups there.

We sometimes learn the nature of the problem is something where we need to have a couple of follow-ups with them to make them completely understand what challenges are that we are facing.

Support is a bit varied. There's no standardization in terms of service. There is quite a bit of variance depending on each. I'd like it if they could become more standardized.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We have seen an ROI. As part of our business case, we do evaluate the return on investment on any such initiatives. We look at how soon we can achieve the breakeven and in terms of the overall cost savings and the overall operational efficiency, what kind of fast development cycles will cost. We also look at reducing the time to market for each and every initiative. We look into all those factors as well as the development cost of the operational, maintenance, and support costs that determine the overall ROI for this. And we have witnessed positive trends.

What other advice do I have?

I'm in the consulting space. I'm not into coding or implementation. I am a cloud consultant in that sense. I look into the planning, the overall cloud migration, the cloud strategy, cloud operating model for the client.

I'd advise new users to not go big. They need to first identify the short-term goals and start with a POC first. The company needs to have an alignment with its team. Make sure to have a complete understanding of the product. Before going ahead and investing significantly, invest in some areas of the application landscape that you want to test out which are not very critical in order to understand the pros and cons. Once you weigh in the benefits you can then go for a significant investment into Azure, or any environment in that manner.

If your organization is mainly Microsoft, this is a very good product. However, other things to consider are AI (and how much AI you want to use) and regional aspects, as connectivity may not be as good everywhere. There are, for example, some areas where AWS works better.

When we work with clients, we take it on a case-by-case basis and see what makes sense. However, I would advise companies to wait until they have 90% surety before they seriously dive in.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.