McAfee MVISION Endpoint OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee MVISION Endpoint is the #26 ranked solution in endpoint security software. PeerSpot users give McAfee MVISION Endpoint an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. McAfee MVISION Endpoint is most commonly compared to Trellix Endpoint Security: McAfee MVISION Endpoint vs Trellix Endpoint Security. McAfee MVISION Endpoint is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
McAfee MVISION Endpoint Buyer's Guide

Download the McAfee MVISION Endpoint Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is McAfee MVISION Endpoint?

McAfee MVISION Endpoint delivers enhanced detection and correction capabilities to augment native Microsoft Windows security controls, which are always up to date. Machine learning, credential theft monitoring, and rollback remediation boost the basic security built into the Windows and effectively combat advanced, zero-day threats.

McAfee MVISION Endpoint Video

McAfee MVISION Endpoint Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee MVISION Endpoint pricing:
  • "Customers would need to purchase a license. If a customer purchases an MVISION Endpoint license, he may use that license to install ENS. It's a flexible license where you have the option to either use the McAfee security software or the Windows Defender managed by McAfee, which is MVISION Endpoint."
  • "Pricing for McAfee MVISION Endpoint is not very good, and I would rate its cost three out of five, though I won't be able to mention how much its actual price is."
  • "We had a discount when purchasing the solution because of the size of our company and we are happy with the price."
  • McAfee MVISION Endpoint Reviews

Technical Presales Consultant/ Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
    Can be easily used by lay security personnel who are generalists
    • "MVISION Endpoint is so much easier and so much simpler for the lay security personnel to handle."
    • "MVISION Endpoint is only compatible with Windows 10 and Windows 2016 and above. If I were using a Linux operating system, I would not be able to use MVISION Endpoint."

What is our primary use case?

MVISION Endpoint is the management software for McAfee that manages the Windows Defender. It manages the Windows Defender anti-malware, Windows Defender Exploit Guard, and Windows Defender Firewall. These are the three main components that McAfee manages centrally from an ePO, and that ePO can be an on-premises ePO management server, or it can be an MVISION ePO management server on McAfee cloud. So, management can be both on the cloud and on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It's simple and very easy to use. Before MVISION Endpoint, McAfee had their own Endpoint Security software called ENS, which included their anti-malware engine. Even though ENS was a comprehensive product and a very good product as well, it was confusing for some professionals.

In the times that we live in now, an IT personnel, even a specialized one, is a generalist. So you have an IT person who is managing the firewall and endpoint security, and also managing the ERP and backups, and the switches as well. Everything in the environment will be handed over to a single person.

A product like McAfee ENS is pretty extensive and allows for advanced configurations, especially for security professionals. However, IT personnel often fail to configure it properly. MVISION Endpoint is so much easier and so much simpler for the lay security personnel to handle. This is what I really like about it.

McAfee has an on-premises ePO server, which you can install on your environment. You can add your infrastructure and push the agents all from the console; so you literally don't have to do anything on your own. From the dashboard, you'll push the agents, install them, configure them, and manage them all from the console.

What needs improvement?

McAfee has several MVISION products. It will be really amazing if they could be consolidated into one dashboard. As of now, I know that this is on the roadmap and is expected to be released very soon. It'll unify the management of the various MVISION portfolios. It will be a great tool for improvement.

Instead of needing separate management consoles to manage some of the products in the portfolio, a unified console for MVISION Cloud, MVISION EDR, MVISION Endpoint, MVISION DLP, and the remaining MVISION portfolio would be great. I believe that McAfee is addressing this at present.

A drawback with the cloud MVISION ePO is that you can't push agents from the cloud portal. You need to download that agent, and you need to figure out a way to install that agent into the machines.

I'd like to see MVISION Endpoint for other platforms because MVISION Endpoint is only compatible with Windows 10 and Windows 2016 and above. If I were using a Linux operating system, I would not be able to use MVISION Endpoint.

I'd like to see it in the Mac operating system as well. I'd like to see cross-compatibility, which would be great. Even though McAfee has a simpler product for Androids and the iOS, it would be great to see the ease of use of MVISION Endpoint across the portfolio.

I've been using it for two years.

McAfee MVISION Endpoint
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about McAfee MVISION Endpoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

McAfee doesn't provide the security software. It manages the security software which is built in to the Windows 10 and Windows Servers 2016 and above. Unlike McAfee ENS, which uses its own software to do the scanning and its own signature database that could add lots of clutter to the operating system, MVISION Endpoint uses Windows Defender, so there's no added overhead for the machines. As a result, it is pretty stable.

In terms of scalability, you can deploy as many agents to as many machines and protect them from the ePO, whether it's an on-premises ePO or one on the cloud.

Technical support is great. I didn't have to interact with them that much, but they provided good support at the times when I had to reach them. They were responsive; that is, I'd get a response within the same day.

In my experience, the installation has been straightforward.

The only major issue is that if a client is going to have his ePO on the cloud, his management server will be on the cloud. So I will need to push agents to lots of machines. There is no automated deployment from the cloud to on-premises machines. That means that I need to download the McAfee agents and have to take care of the deployment and the automation on my own.

Customers would need to purchase a license. If a customer purchases an MVISION Endpoint license, he may use that license to install ENS. It's a flexible license where you have the option to either use the McAfee security software or the Windows Defender managed by McAfee, which is MVISION Endpoint.

What other advice do I have?

With MVISION Endpoint, even if you don't know about cybersecurity, you can just turn on the protection checkbox. It's that easy. It was really relatable to my experience with Sophos because the configuration there was also that simple, so I really liked it.

For those who can't afford expensive cybersecurity professionals but are responsible for configuring the security of the organization, MVISION Endpoint is a good product to go with. It's flexible, and you can manage it from the cloud or on-premises.

At present, it is often used by small businesses because of its ease of use, configuration, and deployment.

It's been around on the market for a long time, and has undergone many improvements. So, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate McAfee MVISION Endpoint at eight.

Meleria Mangaring - PeerSpot reviewer
    Systems Engineer at Trends and Technologies, Inc
    Reseller
    Great ePolicy orchestrator, seamlessly expands, and offers good reliability
    • "It's very stable and reliable."
    • "Looking at the current ePolicy orchestrator, and the transition of most vendors to the cloud, they need to do an improvement with the current dashboard or the overall aesthetic of their GUI."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint security.

What is most valuable?

One of the strengths of McAfee in general, not only in the Endpoint, is the ePolicy orchestrator. It's a single management platform for all the solutions and also a single agent. From my experience, with all other products, it becomes easy to use with multiple deployments.

With McAfee, what you do is you just upload and download some packages for specific features. For example, with endpoint security, you get only the four features, the firewall, web control, the ATP, and then threat prevention. Should the client would want an additional feature, for example, device control, full-blown DLP, or application control, then we can add the packages for that and then easily deploy it with the client.

What needs improvement?

Looking at the current ePolicy orchestrator, and the transition of most vendors to the cloud, they need to do an improvement with the current dashboard or the overall aesthetic of their GUI. They need to just keep up with the current trends. It's still a bit old-looking. That said, with the CASB, their other solutions their cloud solutions, they're already on the way with that. They are working on improving things.

The initial setup can be a bit difficult.

They should offer further application control. The way of doing the application control is based on an inventory scan. It would be great and it would be at par with other solutions if they would be able to improve that into a category-based application control.

I've used the solution for about three years.

McAfee is one of my favorites. It's very stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches.

We have been able to scale. For example, a client who wanted to migrate their on-premise solution and then move to the cloud found it to be pretty straightforward. With things like this, there is still room for improvement and there can be trouble doing that. However, with the experience that I had during the migration, it was pretty smooth and seamless.

I haven't had any experience with technical support. I'm working as a presales engineer, however, I have colleagues who've had a few experiences with McAfee technical support. Usually, it's all about clarifications around the licensing or loading of the license. For example, we have had experiences with the license already loaded to the client's account and we haven't received the email yet. When that happens, we have no way of accessing the account of the client. In those instances, we'd reach out to support. Beyond that, we don't really need help.

I have experience with Trend Micro, Sophos, and McAfee.

The main difference is their single solution. There's one single pane of glass you're looking at which gets easier with the maintenance. The utilization is also great. It takes away the customer of having to deal with problems with the utilization. There's a balance between the performance of the agent as well as the operation of the client. You won't hear a client complaining that a McAfee solution.

The threat intelligence with respect to endpoint security is great too. With the threat intelligence and McAfee having been in the industry for so long, it has a better capability of protecting our endpoints.

For the setup, if you're not familiar with it, it can be a challenge. From my experience, when I just started working with McAfee, it was really hard to understand how the policies work, how the policies should be implemented and how would you assign them to certain groups. If you're just getting started, it's hard. However, if you're already familiar with how policy creation works and how you're supposed to assign it to certain groups or certain users, then it becomes easier over time.

For every 100 users, one person is enough in terms of handling maintenance tasks. Management is easy as you can manage everything from a single pane of glass. It doesn't require a lot of manpower.

If you look from the Gartner perspective, and if we're only looking at the leaders' quadrant, McAfee is around five out of five in terms of price affordability. Among all other solutions, it has really a reasonable price. If you look at the entire Magic Quadrant, not only the leaders' quadrant, McAfee is even better. There are other solutions that have a more reasonable price, however, it also comes at the cost of the quality that we're offering.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller and solutions provider.

It can be deployed in a virtualized environment or on the cloud. It depends on the client's requirements. I typically recommend the SaaS environment, however, in the Phillippines, it's mostly on-premises still. In that case, we may use a virtualized or physical server.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

McAfee MVISION Endpoint
    November 2022
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Craig Meads - PeerSpot reviewer
    Managing Director at Computer Wise
    Flexible, scalable, and offers a small footprint
    • "Technical support is excellent."
    • "The initial setup can be a bit complicated for those unfamiliar with the product."

What is our primary use case?

We've only got two or three machines. The solution is simply used as an antivirus, however,  we've rolled it out to all of our customers and we use it as a managed service.

What is most valuable?

The solution has reduced false positives for our clients and ourselves.

It's got quite good ransomware detection.

The product can be deployed across mobile devices.

It has a managed service push deployment where we can push cloud tasks into policies.

It's a really good product. It's stable and scalable. It offers good flexibility, has a small footprint, offers a minimal effect on performance, and is from a trusted brand.

We have found the deployment to be very fast.

Technical support is excellent.

What needs improvement?

We're still looking for weaknesses. The product is still quite new for us. That said, so far, every time I have thought, "I wonder if it can do this or it can do that." I've been able to do it.

McAfee has also asked us for feedback, and we noticed when we gave them suggestions, they worked to implement them. For example, we asked for the ability to leverage Windows Defender instead of creating an endpoint. They've just put that in so you can choose now what you want to do. You can change that deployment and push it out without any intervention by the client as well.

We have been using the solution for about four or five months at this point.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The companies we work with range in size from small to large.

The solution is very easy to scale.

I would rate technical support at a ten out of ten. They have been great. We have found them to be helpful and responsive. My personal interaction with them was absolutely brilliant.

The initial setup can be difficult the first time. You have the flexibility to give all sorts of setup options. You need to know, for example, do you want this, do you want that, do you want these exclusions? Do you want these exploit preventions? et cetera. There are a lot of components. It's going to be complicated initially, however, once you've done that and set it up for a customer, then it's very simple just to deploy it and roll it out.

We rolled out another customer on Friday, and that's 35 sites we've done so far - and I was able to do the whole lot remotely. It's quick to deploy. For clients, in terms of the deployment, I just simply send them a link to their emails and they just go click on it and it goes.

Once the product is deployed, there isn't any maintenance necessary. It's all controlled from a SaaS portal.

The pricing is okay. It's in the middle and there are actually surveys out and they all say that as well.

There's a couple of license options. You can choose a single license or you can choose what we call a MV2 license. Every single license gives you the ability to install a product on five other devices - including mobile. You get a Windows license and that enables you to install it on a tablet, iPhone, or Android device (up to five) as well.

What other advice do I have?

We're a McAfee partner.

We are using the SaaS version. It's my understanding that we are on the latest version of the solution.

We would recommend the solution to other companies. We actually sell it and provide it to all our clients.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

Other
    Mgr. ICT-Services at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    User friendly, easy to set up, and provides good support
    • "What I like most about McAfee MVISION Endpoint is that it's very user-friendly. You do need some knowledge on how to navigate the portal, but as soon as you've gained that knowledge, navigation will no longer be an issue. I have no complaints about McAfee MVISION Endpoint. For me, the product is perfect the way it is. It's great right now, and it's doing good as it is."
    • "So far, McAfee MVISION Endpoint ticks off all of our boxes, but its pricing could always be better."

What is our primary use case?

We're using MVISION Endpoint for the protection of our endpoint devices.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about McAfee MVISION Endpoint is that it's very user-friendly. You do need some knowledge on how to navigate the portal, but as soon as you've gained that knowledge, navigation will no longer be an issue.

I have no complaints about McAfee MVISION Endpoint. For me, the product is perfect the way it is. It's great right now, and it's doing good as it is.

What needs improvement?

So far, McAfee MVISION Endpoint ticks off all of our boxes, but its pricing could always be better.

I started using MVISION Endpoint last year. It was preceded by the MVISION ePO.

McAfee MVISION Endpoint is a stable product.

McAfee MVISION Endpoint has no issues in terms of scalability. You just need money to make scaling up possible.

The support for McAfee MVISION Endpoint is okay. I have no complaints about it.

On a scale of one to five, where one is bad and five is good, I would rate support for the product as four out of five.

The initial setup for McAfee MVISION Endpoint is pretty easy.

We used a consultant for the deployment of McAfee MVISION Endpoint.

I don't have information on ROI from McAfee MVISION Endpoint because a separate unit takes care of those calculations.

Pricing for McAfee MVISION Endpoint is not very good, and I would rate its cost three out of five, though I won't be able to mention how much its actual price is.

There were other solutions in use, but that was before I joined my department, so I don't know which solutions were used before my company went with McAfee MVISION Endpoint.

What other advice do I have?

I have some experience with McAfee MVISION Endpoint, and I'm currently using it. I can't remember the exact version of the solution which I'm using, but it's the latest version.

My company is a customer of McAfee MVISION Endpoint.

My company is a telco, so I don't have the exact user count, but it's surely more than a hundred. All roles within my company use the product, even people at the highest levels.

At the moment, there's no plan to increase usage of McAfee MVISION Endpoint within the company.

My advice for people looking into implementing McAfee MVISION Endpoint is to use the demo, roll it out within your organization, utilize its functionalities, and let it work for you.

In terms of rating, I'm giving McAfee MVISION Endpoint a solid eight because it does what's needed and it works, so no complaints.

Venugopal Potumudi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Consultant at Tata Consultancy
    Reliable with good independent modules and a straightforward setup
    • "The independent modules are very good."
    • "The complexity of advanced modules can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

For some of our engagements, we have used MVISION, including data protection, threat intelligence, and DPP also.

We use McAfee MVISION primarily for endpoint protection, antivirus, and understanding the threat intel for end users.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable.

The independent modules are very good.

For the most part, the setup and deployment are simple.

What needs improvement?

The only challenge we found is the integration with its product modules. It has a DPP. That integration, we felt, is slightly complex. The complexity of advanced modules can be improved. They could do some improvements so that it is easier to deploy the advanced modules.

We would like more in their advanced modules or ATP.

I've used the solution for a could of years.

The solution has been quite stable. It is reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I cannot comment on the scalability. I've never tried to scale the solution.

For desktop support, they are pretty good.

There are certain engagements where our customers are still using it. Now, however, we do see a common trend of people moving towards Defender service rather than using McAfee.

We also use Trend Micro. We would prefer Trend Micro and would rate Trend Micro top and then make McAfee next.

The basic modules are straightforward to set up. We don't see many challenges there. However, when we talk about going into advanced ATP modules, et cetera, we do see certain amounts of complexity.

I did not work on the implementation and cannot say how long exactly it took to deploy. Likely, it would take between three and six months.

We generally deal with annual licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. Having used Trend Micro as well, I would rate Trend Micro higher. However, I would still choose this product as a second option.

When we recommend a product, we would recommend something based on the fit of the product and customer requirements. We worked with Defender, we worked with Trend Micro, and we worked with McAfee. All of them almost overlap in multiple use cases. That said, we do see the customer IT strategy and where they're going, and they are adopting Azure more. We know there are certain limitations in their landscape where there may be some old legacy systems, and in that case, then we would either switch back to McAfee or Trend Micro instead of Defender.

Owner / Consultant at Digilevers
    A good solution that is stable and scalable with seamless deployment
    • "The seamless deployment is very valuable."
    • "The central monitoring dashboard needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy the solution on-premises but we have the roadmap to migrate it on cloud. Initially, everything was on-premises, but we are moving to the cloud, which will be our first cloud migration.

What is most valuable?

The seamless deployment is very valuable.

What needs improvement?

The quality of the dashboard could be improved, and the central monitoring dashboard needs improvement. At first, we thought we were getting multiple views. One was a wholly summarized view, and the other was a more detailed view of an endpoint device. Digging into one device's detail is sometimes difficult. Additionally, the granularity of reporting can be improved. The next release could also include an extended mobile connection for the solution.

We have been using this solution for approximately four months.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. Maybe in another six to eight months, we will scale to around 5,500 because we are recruiting more people, so the number may increase.

I have not had any experience with customer service and support.

We previously used Trend Micro. When we were deploying Trend Micro, we faced a lot of difficulties. When we acquired Trend Micro, we had no endpoint security so we had to remove an endpoint and deploy Trend Micro. As a result, deploying Trend Micro was very painful. There were frequent failures in the automatic script that Trend Micro had provided, and it took us about three and a half months to completely cover around 4,000 devices. At the same time, McAfee's deployment was seamless. There might have been an issue, but those issues never escalated. With Trend Micro, the issues escalated frequently.

We switched because of the distinction in scalability, Bluetooth and support. Additionally, one of the reasons we replaced Trend Micro was that we were raising a support ticket every month, which was embarrassing for us. We were losing five to seven tags. PSEs and the response to those PSEs were not satisfied every time.

I rate pricing and licensing a seven out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. The solution is good, but the dashboard quality and granularity of reporting can be improved.

AndyPittas - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Network and Security & Department at National Bank of Greece (Cyprus)
    Beneficial advanced threat protection, effective web filtering, and good support
    • "The most valuable features of McAfee MVISION Endpoint are advanced threat protection, web filtering, and removable storage devices in the DLP."
    • "McAfee MVISION Endpoint could improve by an overall simplification of the solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are using McAfee MVISION Endpoint for our endpoints. It manages our antivirus and does antivirus deployments.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of McAfee MVISION Endpoint are advanced threat protection, web filtering, and removable storage devices in the DLP.

What needs improvement?

I have been using McAfee MVISION Endpoint for approximately two years.

McAfee MVISION Endpoint is stable.

We have approximately 200 users using this solution in my organization.

The support from McAfee MVISION Endpoint is very good.

We previously used the on-premise version of McAfee MVISION Endpoint. It was very similar. However, we switched so we did not have to manage the server ourselves.

The initial setup of McAfee MVISION Endpoint is not difficult because it is on the cloud. However, policies are complex.

What other advice do I have?

We have two administrators that are managing this solution.

My advice to others is for them to try the solution out. It is important to check, l the complexity of the solution because it's a great solution with lots of features and can do very granular settings. However, this can also be something that can be a hindrance because it does make it a very complex solution to learn.

It is a great solution overall. There is a bit of a learning curve on it when you compare it with other platforms, which I think might be simpler to manage, or more straightforward. It's a very complex solution you have to get used to it.

I rate McAfee MVISION Endpoint an eight out of ten.

Other
    Suresh Pathipatti - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Information Technology Administrator at Aighospital
    Works well and offers easy administration but is too heavy for the end user
    • "The stability has been great."
    • "It is a very heavy tool, unfortunately."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our endpoints.

What is most valuable?

McAfee is working perfectly. The productivity itself is great.

There are really a lot of features in McAfee.

The endpoint administration is very easy.

We found the initial setup to be simple.

The stability has been great.

You can scale the product.

What needs improvement?

I'm not feeling any critical care is missing in the solution.

It is a very heavy tool, unfortunately.

It could always be a bit more stable.

I've used the solution for three years. I've used it for a while now.

It's stable and reliable. I've been happy with the performance. There are no bugs or glitches, and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is scalable. It's not a problem if you would like to expand it.

We have about 430 users on the product right now.

There are no plans to increase usage at this time. In fact, we are using it less and less.

Technical support has been fine. We haven't really had any big problems to deal with.

I've also used Check Point.

We deployed the solution three years ago. It was not hard to implement. It's all pretty straightforward.

I'm not sure of the exact pricing. I'm not sure what it breaks down to, per user.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure of the version number. We keep it updated.

I don't recommend McAfee for endpoint users. This is a very crucial tool that to have these days. However, it is too heavy for the end user.

I'd rate it six out of ten.

Download our free McAfee MVISION Endpoint Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022