IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Lenovo Blade Servers [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Lenovo Blade Servers [EOL]?
Regarding Blade Servers, IBM is a pioneer in blade technology, building the legendary IBM reliability, security and performance into the efficient, flexible blade form factor. IBM continues to drive innovation in blade servers, offering a range of technologies to support the unique demands of your business Ð large or small, in virtually any industry.

Lenovo Blade Servers [EOL] was previously known as Blade Servers, IBM Blade Servers, x86 BladeServers.

Download the Blade Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Lenovo Blade Servers [EOL] Customers
Merkl IT, Sanitas, Cnam, Generac Power, DIMAR Group, Comune di Messina

Archived Lenovo Blade Servers [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

Support Engineer-Enterprise System at a tech services company
Easy to deploy and produces better performance with less maintenance

What is most valuable?

We have separate compute module know as FSM for management.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy to deploy with better performance and less maintenance.

What needs improvement?

Integrated DVD/CD ROM.

Five years.
May 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Lenovo, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cisco and others in Blade Servers. Updated: May 2022.
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

No issues to date.

It is every important that you should be very clear with your future plans. We have had no scalability issues to date.

OK.

We switched because it is good to maintain a hybrid infrastructure.

Need some level of technical knowledge to configure it.

Licensing depends upon your budget and pricing depends upon your requirements

No other vendors, but we evaluated price and technical options and local support in our market.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure with your requirements and confirm all the technical aspects, considering your future needs, especially while choosing an I/O module for network and fiber.
Alejandro Rivas Detomasi - PeerSpot reviewer
System X & P / Blade / Storage / SAN Hardware and Software Support at GEOCOM Uruguay S.A.
Leaderboard
Total redundancy in all its components: power, cooling, communications, fiber, administration and blades. One point of management.

What is most valuable?

The features of this product that I value most are:

• A datacenter in 8U; you can accommodate 14 servers in a BladeCenter H chassis.
  • Total redundancy in all its components: power, cooling, communications, fiber, administration and blades
  • Stacking features, you can configure several BladeCenters to have redundancy
  • Excellent support in case of any failure (and I am not saying this because I worked for IBM)
  • One point of management
  • The ability to combine Intel, AMD, and POWER blades

I have been using, installing, and implementing this solution for eight years.

I had no problems installing the equipment.

So far, I have had no stability problems.

If we talk about scalability, it is quite expensive , especially when you need to buy more blades. It's even more expensive if you configure them for high performance parts.

Exelent

Technical support is excellent.

I had some experience with its direct competitor, the HP Blade line. In my opinion, the HP product has a higher rate of failure than IBM Blades.

Initial setup was not complex at all. The wizard integrated in the administration module (AMM) made things fast and easy.

I implemented the chassis by myself.

My recommendation is to always have your maintenance contract up to date. This product has been on the market for more than 10 years; it is the obvious thing to do.

I try to implement the options of both Cisco and HP, I was convinced the superiority of the IBM proposal

What other advice do I have?

Despite the fact that we are living in the cloud era, in my opinion, we still need hardware in our own datacenters. I believe that the hybrid cloud is the future, and we are going to keep buying hardware adequate for this solution, even more so in third-world countries, where computing power needs are not as big.

In my opinion, modular hardware technology is disappearing. There is a tendency to buy standalone servers that are much cheaper and offer similar or better performance.

IBM replaced the BladeCenter line with the Flex Chassis. However, that Flex system is way more expensive than the BladeCenter, and it doesn’t sell as well as Blades.

My recommendation is, if you have the money and you have significant experience with modular servers, go for the IBM Flex System Chassis.

May 2022
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Design and Develpement Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
We use it as a virtualization server with ESX. We provide telecom services on it.

What is most valuable?

• FCoE, CPU, and RAM capacity: Requires a low cost for passive jobs in the data center
  • Small rack space: With only 11 units, we can have about 1THz CPU and 3.5 TB memory

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The storage part of this product needs to be improved. If storage is also attached to this bundle, it would be a good solution for the databases.

In the new version of this product, the IBM Flex System, the storage feature is also available with the CPU and memory.

I have used this solution for three years.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

The technical support is very good.

It is my first solution.

Configuring FCoE is complex.

We evaluated Cisco UCS and HPE BladeSystem c7000.

What other advice do I have?

This product is now at the end of sale. The IBM Flex System has replaced it. It seems to be a better solution because the storage part is also included in it.

it_user529200 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. System Administrator at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
It offers central management of all blade servers and performance.

Valuable Features

Central management of all blade servers and performance: It helps us to access blade servers remotely even at boot time, as well, when we can access the BIOS setup remotely. Other than that, we can restart and shut down blade servers from a single console.

Room for Improvement

The blade center and blade server’s hardware firmware upgrade should be easy.

The hardware firmware upgrade option of blade servers and chassis should include the blade center admin console itself.

Use of Solution

I have used it for nine years.

Because this is an old IBM blade chassis model and servers, we faced a couple of issues during VMware implementation.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 10/10.

Initial hardware setup is bit difficult regarding interconnectivity and the firmware upgrade on the blade chassis and servers. I recommend that it should be done by the IBM tech team.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

For servers, proper sizing should be done in terms of processing, memory, storage, etc., along with the IBM team. Sometimes the cost of product increases if it is oversized.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated options from HP and DELL.

Other Advice

Blade servers are better than traditional servers, but cost-wise, a blade center solution is more expensive than traditional servers, so if blade servers are the best fit for your environment, then you should go for it.

IT Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The form factor is good for medium-level application hosting.

Valuable Features:

The form factor is good for medium-level application hosting and does not take up too much space in the DC.

Improvements to My Organization:

• Smaller footprint in DC
  • Easy scalability

Room for Improvement:

I’d like to see new features with advanced redundancy techniques.

Stability Issues:

Performance is good, but on heavily non-linear workloads, they tend to have some issues.

Other Advice:

It is perfect for medium to light applications and workloads.

it_user334830 - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's enabled us to run critical applications, back up of critical data, and storage systems on the same products without downtime issues that could otherwise be caused by hardware/software issues.

Improvements to My Organization

The servers have enabled us to run critical applications, back up of critical data, and storage systems on the same products without downtime issues that could otherwise be caused by hardware/software issues.

Room for Improvement

Warranty extension may be required at times. After the warranty elapses, IBM can organize this so that clients who are still using servers or any other IBM products, can continue using the products.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for one year, five months.

No issues at the moment.

No issues at the moment, they are generally stable.

No issues at the moment, the servers are well designed for growth.

Generally OK. The warranty centre is readily accessible, and parts are shipped immediately when they are ordered.

The engineers are well trained, together with their business partners

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're business partners.
it_user334560 - PeerSpot reviewer
CIO at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We're able to use them for both VMware clusters and clusters of database servers with the same architecture as our hardware configuration.

What is most valuable?

• Reliability
  • Possibility to expand

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

It needs better management software.

We used this solution for more then four years.

9/10

9/10

Before this solution, we used rack mount servers, but this solution saves physical spaces and increases reliability.

We migrated step-by-step in all three of our locations. Every location has two BladeCenter systems.

We implemented it through a vendor team due to them having better knowledge than us.

The question of ROI wasn't important for us, and we needed a reliable system for our production environment.

We have a long-time partnership with the vendor (ITS) and IBM.

it_user328770 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Systems Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
We were able to replace five 42U server racks with two IBM S Series Blade Center chassis, but firmware updates are troublesome and difficult.

What is most valuable?

• Density for virtualization
  • Remote management

How has it helped my organization?

We replaced five 42U server racks with two IBM S Series Blade Center chassis.

What needs improvement?

Firmware updates are troublesome and difficult.

I've used it for four years.

No issues encountered.

Technical support was reasonable, but leaves room for improvement. Firmware changes were barely supported, and escalation was difficult. Ultimately I was referred to a third party vendor for NIC firmware that crippled my blades when I applied the IBM image downloaded from IBM.com.

No previous solutions were in place.

The initial setup was mainly straightforward, but somewhat complex due to the technology. However, this was reasonable considering the nature of the hardware environment, blade\chassis\SAN

It was a vendor assisted implementation, their hands on experience was very helpful in several key configuration areas. I would recommend involving someone who has actual experience with product.

Compared offerings from HP IBM had a better presence and greater offering.

it_user3372 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager of IT at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Meets rigorus challenges however requires fair amount invesment

I believe that blade servers have become popular building blocks for enabling converged data centers – and, they also have their own idiosyncrasies.

Blade solutions provide increased server density, better power and cooling efficiency and more flexible management functions when compared with standalone servers. They require a fair bit of investment, which is why they aren’t a good choice if you only need to deploy a couple of servers.

I have personally built and used numerous server types and brands. I’ve deployed them in land based facilities across the globe and on occasion even aboard ship – which is a huge challenge in itself.

In my line of work speed is critical to mission success and it’s extremely important that equipment be easy to install, compatible with the existing environment… simply put expeditionary.

The one brand that has consistently met the rigorous challenges of global deployment and mastered the most demanding workloads has been the IBM power blade solutions.

IBM blade solutions save you time and trouble. Here's how:

•Unlike other vendors, IBM deliver power blades and chassis preassembled. You don't spend hours installing processors, memory and drives.

•You can rack an entire integrated chassis in the time it takes to rack a traditional 1U rack server.

•When you need to add additional blade servers, they slide right in.

•IBM’s BladeCenter® family technology ties Media Access Control (MAC) and World Wide Name (WWN) addresses to blade slots — not to servers or switch ports — so reconfiguring your setup is as simple as sliding a blade out of a slot and replacing it with another.

And when needed, their flexible deployment services put IBM expertise and manpower at your fingertips.

Moving beyond conventional server technology to a fresh approach at solving customer problems IBM, recently announced a new family of solutions called PureSystems. IBM calls this an “expert integrated solution”; it fits within the converged infrastructure environment.

While IBM offers competitive blade server and chassis offerings, it’s almost certain that “PureSystems” will lead the charged toward the converged infrastructure market; that’s my opinion.

it_user1020 - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Data Center at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Great value for money but be sure to have all the right components to prevent data loss if using the disk storage system.

Valuable Features:

I recommended the purchase of an IBM BladeCenter S Chassis with four HS 22 Blade Servers and 1 Disk storage system. I came up with the recommendation after reviewing other blade servers at that time. The other option was an HP C3000 with BL460 blade servers. What sold me with the BladeCenter S was the built-in disk storage system. For me, this is a great feature as you technically have a direct-attached disk storage system on the blade system itself. This for me was the better option than the HP C3000, as there is no need any more to buy a separate disk storage system.

Room for Improvement:

It was quite unfortunate that I lost data while using this blade server. There were a lot of factors, but I believe it should not have happened. I base this from the fact that we haven't lost any data from our HP C3000 enclosure and BL460 blade servers. One of the main things that I believe led to the data loss was the poor eco-system of vendors and knowledgeable solution providers for IBM in our part of the country. The vendor that sold us was just box-pushing the product without adequate knowledge in providing a solution that should not loose any data. I say this because we have another blade system from Cisco and it just works. We have a very knowledgeable system integrator and they provide excellent support. I just wish IBM here would also do the same.Overall, the product has great value for money. Under the right circumstances, I would definitely recommend this product. You should select a vendor that is knowledgeable about the solution and offer all the necessary components to protect the disk storage system from catastrophic data loss.

Other Advice:

Also, make sure that you include implementation services as well. Though I was able to successfully configure the blade system without any help from the vendor or IBM representatives, it took a lot of time and a lot of experimentation. Implementation services can cost a lot, but for me it would be well worth it considering the investment on this product is significant.
it_user1143 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Manager at a tech company with 51-200 employees
IBM BladeCenter HS22 is ideal for midsize businesses and allows you to scale your data center

Valuable Features:

BladeCenter HS22 provides great performance and reliability, with two Intel Xeon 5600 (3.60 GHz) processors and 12 VLP DDR-3 memory DIMMs, with expansion capability of 192 GB.HS22 is designed to host mainstream business applications and virtualization. Deployment and customization is quick and easy with the advantage of UEFI based tools.HS22 has a special mechanical design to cool the blade in challenging circumstances. Exceptional power management capabilities are provided with integrated power management tools like “IBM Systems Director Active Energy Manager.”Less expensive than most of the Blade Servers available in this configuration.

Room for Improvement:

Very stable servers; so far have not found any inconsistencies.

Other Advice:

BladeCenter HS22 uses two Intel Xeon 5600 processors and RAM expandable up to 192 GB for enhanced performance of your business applications or virtualization requirements.
Download our free Blade Servers Report and find out what your peers are saying about Lenovo, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cisco, and more!
Updated: May 2022